Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dorsey pranks J. Schneider and C. Ballard draft day

I heard an interview with John Dorsey with Pat Kirwan earlier today.  At one point Dorsey was asked about the people off/from the Andy Reid tree.  At a certain point, he was asked about others he's close to.  It was at this place during the draft he said when the Seahawks went on the clock, he rang up Schneider and said, 'Hey John, so, do you want to do a trade here?'  Schneider retorted 'I know what your trying to do here' (evidently Dorsey does this to him every year) and not long after hung up on him.  Dorsey said he did the same thing to Chris Ballard as the Colts went on the clock and Chris got mad too.  Looks like John Dorsey likes to joke around.  He must be a mess on April 1st.

12 hours ago, ztboiler said:

but needs some context

Sure-

Dorsey knows and worked with both Schneider and Ballard in prior years.  They are all 3 GM's of teams now. Dorsey had no, zero, contact with either of them about any trade (or one at least potentially agreed to) prior to the draft.

Immediately when their teams went on the stressful draft clock (day 1 for Colts), he made the call(s) out of the blue.

That's why Schneider and Ballard maybe got a little huffy.  It wasn't business as usual, it was a 'guys being (wise) guys' thing.

27 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Sure-

Dorsey knows and worked with both Schneider and Ballard in prior years.  They are all 3 GM's of teams now. Dorsey had no, zero, contact with either of them about any trade (or one at least potentially agreed to) prior to the draft.

Immediately when their teams went on the stressful draft clock (day 2 for Colts), he made the call(s) out of the blue.

That's why Schneider and Ballard maybe got a little huffy.  It wasn't business as usual, it was a 'guys being (wise) guys' thing.

Sounds like Ballard needs to screen his calls better

Funny, my wife and I watched Draft Day with Kevin Costner last Friday.  I had not seen the movie before, and it featured the GMs of the Browns and Seahawks makin’ Trades during  the first round.  Weird that we get a story like this now...

• Like 1

Next year.... Ballard should "reverse prank" him and bring in Frank Caliendo to impersonate himself and either take the call....or better yet....initiate a call when Cleveland is approaching their time on the clock.

Ballard should then have Caliendo sound dead serious about the Colts wanting to make a significant deal..... and the minute Dorsey begins to take him seriously....switch his voice to Mel Kiper Jr. doing one of his cackling descriptions about one of next year's draftees, and let Dorsey know he's been played like fiddle.

Skullduggery at the GM level..... and Ballard gets the win. :neener:

45 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Didn't seem like Ballard got mad, just picked up the phone and said "I'm working" and hung up.

I think Dorsey (and myself) actually wanted to say antagonized.  Both were curt, and hung up on him quickly. LOL.  I'm certain both were sort of expecting it too!