Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mississippi State Pro Day

Scott Pennock

At pick 26 we had an opportunity to draft Sweat, Tillary or Abrams. We didn't, we traded back 20 spots and picked up a 2020 2nd Round Pick and drafted Banogu.

We passed up on both Sweat and Abrams - both obvious needs as the draft clearly played out. Not necessarily Tillary though as we didn't draft a DT - and we never had a chance at Simmons. It does beg the question though.......why? 

Did they have Sweat off their board seemingly like Hurst last year due to the heart condition?

Did they like Willis better than Abram?

After all, on top of drafting Gerri Green (who was their team captain btw) who played on the same line as Simmons and Sweat, we signed both starting corners in Jamal Peters and Chris Rayford (who actually look good on tape) as UDFA. So we obviously left that pro day impressed by the talent.

Anyone have any thoughts? Insider info? Conspiracy theories?

Will you forever judge Banogu (and subsequent 2nd Rounder) against that trio of players?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will keep an eye on Tillery because that’s the guy I wanted and he’s a Golden Domer. When we made the trade I’d hoped he may still be in play with 34. I’ll be watching Love, Boykin, Mack and Williams too and would’ve been pleased to see any of them wearing the shoe. 

I personally won’t be tracking Sweat or Abrams any more closely then the other defensive rookies. When Sweat started falling I didn’t think we’d be the one to catch him.

The draft is over and we have our guys.  Those are the guys I’ll be focused on. I don’t really do what if’s but that’s just me.  

• Like 1

I dont think any of those guys where really on the board. They probably got ruled out in the draft process bc they didn't fit CB mold of players he wants in high character team captain types. I for one didn't see the big hype on Tillery like most on here and Simmons was out for the year but D Line might have never been in the plan. That KC playoff game really stung and we needed linebackers and secondary help in this draft to help over come the weakness we had against a true high power fast offense. Now we have that on D. It will be fast, it will be electric, and it will be stunning to watch I hope. They can do a lot of different exotic things now. My only worry is that after the stellar year this D will hopefully have is that we dont lose ME to a head coaching job somewhere. Hopefully he will want to stay a few more years to really make this D something and win superbowls!   

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

At pick 26 we had an opportunity to draft Sweat, Tillary or Abrams. We didn't, we traded back 20 spots and picked up a 2020 2nd Round Pick and drafted Banogu.

We passed up on both Sweat and Abrams - both obvious needs as the draft clearly played out. Not necessarily Tillary though as we didn't draft a DT - and we never had a chance at Simmons. It does beg the question though.......why? 

Did they have Sweat off their board seemingly like Hurst last year due to the heart condition?

After all, on top of drafting Gerri Green (who was their team captain btw) who played on the same line as Simmons and Sweat, we signed both starting corners in Jamal Peters and Chris Rayford (who actually look good on tape) as UDFA. So we obviously left that pro day impressed by the talent.

Will you forever judge Banogu (and subsequent 2nd Rounder) against that trio of players?

Sweat was off our board.   Was he off if he lasted to the second round?   We'll never know.

But Ballard spoke highly of Sweat at the end of the presser.   Said he didn’t  want to talk about why we didn’t take Sweat, but that he wasn’t a very good player.   As a media guy,  that’s code for not wanting to say anything negative publicly about either the kid he likes and the team that is taking the risk of drafting him.   

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sweat was off our board.   Was he off if he lasted to the second round?   We'll never know.

But Ballard spoke highly of Sweat at the end of the presser.   Said he didn’t  want to talk about why we didn’t take Sweat, but that he wasn’t a very good player.   As a media guy,  that’s code for not wanting to say anything negative publicly about either the kid he likes and the team that is taking the risk of drafting him.   

But that he wasn't a very good player don't come across as not wanting to say anything negative.

So I am a little confused.

9 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think Ballard's approach was just more picks. Throwing a dart 10 times rather than 7 you have better odds at hitting the bullseye. 

I'll Never judge Banogu on anything other than his play no matter who was picked in what Round at whatever number. His play and his numbers will define him.

• Like 1

Living in Mississippi and watching about as much state-wide football as life allows, Ole Miss and Mississippi State had loaded rosters.  That's about to change, as coaching changes are going to put recruiting classes back into the 20s or 30s nationally.  But the last several years brought (or bought...) both rosters incredible talent.  Top 10 talent.  We've all seen hits and misses both on the college level, and the pro level, but that's how it is everywhere, not just here.   It doesn't shock me at all that numerous players from both of those schools got drafted or signed or invited to camp. 

As to State specifically, that defense last year was incredible.  #1 in yards allowed per game, #2 in points allowed.  

Sweat had a reputation of being a primadonna, didn't take to coaching well.  Michigan St dismissed him, two games into his time there.  This isn't new news.  The whole health thing might have tipped scales, but his history of being self-involved and not being coachable is why he drifted down the draft.    Right or wrong, we'll find out.  But 25 teams all decided for whatever reason he wasn't the right fit.  That should tell us all something. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think you are making some leaps in logic in this post.

1.  Just because the Colts later drafted a DE and Safety does not mean the Colts thought they were obvious needs.

2.  I think it's just a simple, the Colts did not think Sweat or Abram were worthy of the 26th pick.  Reasons could be varied, for Sweat it could be the thought of a heart condition.  It could be his attitude, same with Abram.

• Thanks 1

Abram is one dimensional and the exact opposite of the kind of athlete Ballard has drafted.  I'd bet half the members of this board have better ball skills.  Ok, maybe a third.  Point is, Abram is lost in coverage and can't catch a cold.  He is a heat-seeking missile.  But that's it.   He's my prediction to be the first draftee to the IR. 

• Thanks 1

I was never sold on Johnathan Abrams. It didn't seem like we needed a safety so badly that we would draft one in the 1st round (if you're drafting by need), and he was never the BPA at all (if you're drafting by BPA)

• Thanks 1

Not that much, but I will look at who was drafted before our 1st pick.

Not really to criticism.   More just for the intrigue of the "what if's".  

image.png.023c7edb00013d084c3229df0ef7b637.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

I was never sold on Johnathan Abrams. It didn't seem like we needed a safety so badly that we would draft one in the 1st round (if you're drafting by need), and he was never the BPA at all (if you're drafting by BPA)

If Savage were there I think they take him though....

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Myles said:

Not that much, but I will look at who was drafted before our 1st pick.

Not really to criticism.   More just for the intrigue of the "what if's".  

image.png.023c7edb00013d084c3229df0ef7b637.png

Nobody on that list jumps out at me and makes me rethink our choices. 

11 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I’m sure we took sweat off our board as soon as the stuff about his heart condition came out therefore we did no film or study of him. when the news came out about a misdiagnosis, our board was already done and we had no time to actually study him. I’m sure Ballard and most other GMs just didn’t want to gamble on a guy in the first round that they hadn’t fully scouted.

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

The other day JMV mentioned that the Colts medical team wouldn't sign off on Sweat, & that they viewed his condition as fairly serious. As far as Tillery goes, there seems to be a good amount of speculation that he's not really "all in" on playing professional football long term, & it's believed that sooner than later he'll leave the NFL to pursue other opportunities. Pre-combine, Ballard mentioned that he LOVED the safety depth of this draft, so he probably feels that he got more value out of stockpiling picks & taking a safety later than he would've by using the 26th pick on Abram.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

200.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

But that he wasn't a very good player don't come across as not wanting to say anything negative.

So I am a little confused.

So sorry....   my bad!

Ballard said Sweat WAS a very good player.   WAS,  not wasn’t.   Damn!

I give myself one of these...     :facepalm:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So sorry....   my bad!

Ballard said Sweat WAS a very good player.   WAS,  not wasn’t.   Damn!

I give myself one of these...     :facepalm:

haha-- I kinda thought that is what happened.  It's all good.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

It was reported by JMV and later reiterated by a couple other reporters that Sweat was indeed off their board with medicals.

JMV normally has a pretty good grip on what's happening with the Colts.

Sometimes he gets a little side tracked reminiscing about his younger days but it's all good.