Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott Pennock

Some "Experts" Thoughts on our Draft

I've read a time or two now that some pundits "think" that our first 4 picks could start for us this year.

So Rock at CB over whom? Desir, Wilson or Moore?

Banogu is easy as he'll likely be the SAM and a designated rusher.

Okereke would likely have to beat out Walker for the MIKE position, which he comes in as a higher pick and better measurables, but, can he call the defense?

Campbell is easy as well as he'll likely start as the slot receiver on day one.

If this happens and makes any of Desir, Wilson, Moore II, Adams or Walker back-up/depth pieces then we're in great shape defensively in my opinion!

Additionally, the 8 position players that were drafted the average RAS Score is 8.225. That is amazing athletic ability added across the board!

Wilson has the best chance at being a backup. Moore is a dog so I don’t see anyone beating him out right now. They would have to be very good. 

20 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I've read a time or two now that some pundits "think" that our first 4 picks could start for us this year.

Okereke would likely have to beat out Walker for the MIKE position, which he comes in as a higher pick and better measurables, but, can he call the defense?

If this happens and makes any of Desir, Wilson, Moore II, Adams or Walker back-up/depth pieces then we're in great shape defensively in my opinion!

Additionally, the 8 position players that were drafted the average RAS Score is 8.225. That is amazing athletic ability added across the board!

Just thinking about this... Since DL already has a year in the system, do you think it's possible they move him to MIKE, and let him call the defense, and give Okereke the WILL spot? I think Darius could be a heckuva MIKE in our system too. 

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Wilson has the best chance at being a backup. Moore is a dog so I don’t see anyone beating him out right now. They would have to be very good. 

It's crazy to me that even though he's going into in his 3rd NFL season, & after drafting Ya Sin & Tell, Quincy Wilson is still the youngest corner on our roster.

Rock Ya-Sin: May 23, 1996 (age 22 years)
Marvell Tell III: August 2, 1996 (age 22 years)
Quincy Wilson: August 16, 1996 (age 22 years)

Just now, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's crazy to me that even though he's going into in his 3rd NFL season, & after drafting Ya Sin & Tell, Quincy Wilson is still the youngest corner on our roster.

Rock Ya-Sin: May 23, 1996 (age 22 years)
Marvell Tell III: August 2, 1996 (age 22 years)
Quincy Wilson: August 16, 1996 (age 22 years)

That is crazy. He probably should of stayed in college another year. 

10 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Just thinking about this... Since DL already has a year in the system, do you think it's possible they move him to MIKE, and let him call the defense, and give Okereke the WILL spot? I think Darius could be a heckuva MIKE in our system too. 

I mean it's possible. As I recall in the nickel they essentially do the same thing? In the base 4-3 the roles are different though.

I'm sure the staff will find ways to get 3 guys on the field at LB with 4.5, 4.58 and 4.6 flat 40 times.....

I will say we will be in great shape if guys that played a ton of snaps like Wilson end up being backups.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is crazy. He probably should of stayed in college another year. 

The 2 years experience that he already has at the NFL level will likely end up being far more valuable than playing 1 more year at Florida, especially 2 years from now when he's up for a new contract.

2 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to kick Walker out of the starting lineup. Dude was pretty darn good last year.

3 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

No one's beating out Walker for anything. He's too good. Because people are playing more nickel and dime than ever before, there'll be plenty of playing time for Ya-Sin, Marvell Tell III, etc. 

And all the Times that we play a base package with 3 linebackers, that's when Okereke and others can come in the picture.

Plenty of playing time for everyone

40 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

I wouldn’t be so quick to kick Walker out of the starting lineup. Dude was pretty darn good last year.

In some packages  Walker Leonard  and okereke could be on the field at the same time

4 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Interesting that you think some of these are easy....

I'm not sure any of our rookies will START on Day 1.

Rock?     I don't see it.

Banogu?      Don't see it.

Campbell?      Hilton and Funchess,  I don't see it.   

Okereke?      He's a LONG way from starting.

I think these guys will start,  someday down the road.   Maybe next year.    Or, if the starter gets hurt this year.     But this year,  I think all our guys are depth or practice squad.

And I'm not down on our class at all.   They will play,  they will contribute,  but I don't see anyone starting and certainly not Day 1.

15 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting that you think some of these are easy....

I'm not sure any of our rookies will START on Day 1.

Rock?     I don't see it.

Banogu?      Don't see it.

Campbell?      Hilton and Funchess,  I don't see it.   

Okereke?      He's a LONG way from starting.

I think these guys will start,  someday down the road.   Maybe next year.    Or, if the starter gets hurt this year.     But this year,  I think all our guys are depth or practice squad.

And I'm not down on our class at all.   They will play,  they will contribute,  but I don't see anyone starting and certainly not Day 1.

With Banogu and Campbell I meant they will be holding a specific position as SAM and Slot and consider those starters even though they may be specialized spots....

Rock and Okereke will certainly have a tougher hill to climb for sure.

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

but, can he call the defense?

Leonard took over play calling last year. Doubt he giving that up.

Injuries happen at times during the year. Every year.  I am pretty sure these 4 will get on the field at some point.  They just won’t be day 1 starters.

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I think this one is pretty straightforward.

Rock and Desir at CB.

Moore at the Nickel, where he excels and can be utilized as a blitzer.

Wilson will be the Dime.