Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gino "The Giant" Marchetti passes away

CR91

11 pro bowls 9 time all pro and I think they were consecutive years and living to 93 after all those years of playing the way the did in his era. One tuff man. He fought in the Battle of the Bulge as a machine gunner. Forest Greig called him the best player he ever played against

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He is listed at 6'4 250 pounds. Man that is a beastly guy in today's league. He was fast and mean too, I have seen film on him and old games on ESPN films of him. In all honesty he probably deserves to be rated the 4th best Colt ever only behind Peyton, Unitas, and Marv. Reggie is probably 5th. 

People always want to leave out Lenny Moore and downgrade Berry and Unitas,  because they use 2019 standards for a late 1950s/early 1960s era.  Can't judge if you weren't there.  Unitas and Moore were on the 50th Anniversary NFL All Pro team.  That's gotta be recognized.

• Like 3

Amazing. If I heard him right, he said the most sacks he had in one game was NINE!

They never kept track of those stats back then. As the narrator said, he was the NFL's first great defensive end. RIP, Gino. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

What was the fast food empire he created on the east coast?

Gino’s

8 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Top ten: Unitas, Marchetti, Moore, Parker, Peyton. Next Berry, then Curtis.

I saw em play.

I’d have to put Mackey in there too!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is listed at 6'4 250 pounds. Man that is a beastly guy in today's league. He was fast and mean too, I have seen film on him and old games on ESPN films of him. In all honesty he probably deserves to be rated the 4th best Colt ever only behind Peyton, Unitas, and Marv. Reggie is probably 5th. 

I would put Jim Parker ahead of everybody but Unitas.  Him and Hannah might be the two greatest interior lineman of all time.   Lenny Moore is up there too. You totally forgot Raymond Berry also . Colts have had a lot of great players in both cities.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

He played at a time when players needed to make extra income during the offseason.

Created the now defunct “Gino’s”, home of the Gino Giant. Terror on the field!!!

RIP Geno

I thought it was still around.  

• Like 1