Jump to content
Myles

Player most likely to be cut

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

Where did Cain go again? Never mind! :wall:

At this point it doesn’t matter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Pacergeek said:

Cain is 100% safe to make the team. Colts have made a documentary web series about his recovery. He is about to be a fan favorite

Unless he has some major issues I would agree

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

Where did Cain go again? Never mind! :wall:

 

It's irrelevant. He's a 2nd round talent dammit.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

Where did Cain go again? Never mind! :wall:

I understand that he went in the 6th round.  What you seem to not be grasping is the REASON he went in the 6th round was character concerns not talent.  They essentially drafted a second round talent in the 6th round.  From a talent perspective, he has more tools that Rogers.  If it is close, I bet they keep Cain as would I.  He has the potential to start.

 

We know what Rogers is, a useful depth WR.  He has trouble with separation and not explosive after the catch.  I understand your point that Rogers is the more accomplished veteran.  Cain will have to out perform both Paschal and Rogers to make the roster but the coaching staff and front office seem to be excited about him (Cain).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benogu, Okereke and Speed replace Franklin, S. Moore and Thomas at linebacker.

 

Rock and Tell replace Milton and Hairston.

 

Parris bumps Rogers HOWEVER Rogers actually gets cut for the uber athletic Fountain who took his redshirt year last year.

 

Cain bumps Pascal.

 

Patterson bumps Andrews at backup Center.

 

Barton bumps both Clark and Webb BUT still goes on PS as Clark is replaced by Antonio Garcia on the active roster.

 

Willis (SS) and Odum (FS) makes Kindred and one of Farley or Geathers expendable - likely Farley.

 

Ware makes Johnathan Williams expendable and is the new short yardage back (though he's capable of starting if necessary).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, holeymoley99 said:

I think most forgot where Rogers came and how bad his college career was

I really like Rogers, but he has had several opportunities to step up and he has never been better than average. I think he is gone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

 

I wish more talent always translated to the football field. That would make everyone’s job easier.

 

 

 

 

I don't understand how you can hold an injury against a guy as lack of production.  If Rogers was setting the world on fire, they would not have signed Funchess nor drafted Campbell.  I would be willing to bet that they keep the most talented 5 WRs on the team.  I think that list includes Cain and Rogers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Rogers plays his role well. Not everyone is going to be a pro bowler. Once Rogers learned his role last year he was pretty good at what he was asked to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buck Showalter said:

Regardless of his last name, if Chad Kelly gets signed, I hope he gets cut!!!

 

 

The only way he stays is if there is an injury or trade

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

How about Brissett knocking luck out. LMAO

 

The Cain groupies might agree! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The only way he stays is if there is an injury or trade

Right... Understood...

I was just tired of reading the Rogers vs Cain debate, thought Id try changing the subject while also appeasing the sentiment over in the "Chad Kelly" thread that there wasn't enough fuss being made about him not being a high character guy...

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Benogu, Okereke and Speed replace Franklin, S. Moore and Thomas at linebacker.

 

Rock and Tell replace Milton and Hairston.

 

Parris bumps Rogers HOWEVER Rogers actually gets cut for the uber athletic Fountain who took his redshirt year last year.

 

Cain bumps Pascal.

 

Patterson bumps Andrews at backup Center.

 

Barton bumps both Clark and Webb BUT still goes on PS as Clark is replaced by Antonio Garcia on the active roster.

 

Willis (SS) and Odum (FS) makes Kindred and one of Farley or Geathers expendable - likely Farley.

 

Ware makes Johnathan Williams expendable and is the new short yardage back (though he's capable of starting if necessary).

Don't forget about Boehm.  I think he is our backup center and he looked good last year.  Considering the OL additions I think Clark and Haag are the most vulnerable.  Neither are Ballard guys.  I think Gaethers needs a strong camp and preseason. He can't afford to miss any time.  The safety competition is going to be fierce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is someone debating that HBCU arent low level of competition compared to ACC because Walter Payton and Jerry Rice beat the odds ?  I'm sure we dont want to look at HOF players and see what percentage come from HBCU compared to D1 and then what the % is over the last 10 years of induction. Furthermore Payton wasnt recruited by any SEC schools due to most not recruiting black players openly and he was player of the year and All American, Rice set the NCAA record for catches,yards and tds.   Rogers well he was the 2nd to 3rd best wr on his own Grambling team (He was no Chad Williams who was their lead wr across the board).

 

Time will tell what wrs make the squad and which ones dont and this thread is sure to be revisited.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe it will be Marvin Tell who will be too raw to compete this year. I believe he’ll make it to the practice squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

True but judging by the coaching staff and front office comments, they hold Cain in greater esteem than you do.  Cain wasn't able to prove anything because he was hurt, that is different than not producing.  Cain has more natural talent but he most certainly will have to outperform the others with better track records but if it is close, they will keep the guy with more talent which is Cain.

I think you have a reasonable take on this.  I wonder though, is he REALLY the most naturally talented of all the rest of those guys?  Maybe he is, but I don't think it is automatic.  Fountain's stats (i.e. measurables) are pretty good.  Their speed is nearly the same etc.  I don't know all of their college stats, and though Cain played for the highest profile school, Darius Leonard didn't even play for a Major University and it didn't matter.  So all these arguments that he's superior because he played at Clemson doesn't mean that much in terms of athleticism.  People wash out of the NFL from major programs every year.  Incredibly athletic guys do as well.  So once again, where's the evidence? And even if it is true, does it matter until he gets on the field to demonstrate? Every type of college level superpowers have washed out badly on the field in the NFL.  We have proof that some of these guys can play, and some small evidence that at least one of them the jury is out.  Obviously by the end of the 4th preseason game, they will set the actual pecking order.  I don't believe for a second that compliments when asked about a specific guy, which is likely the context for ANY comments made by the coaches (like "hey coach, how is Cain's rehab going, will he be ready for the season?"  followed by "coachspeak, coachspeak, coachspeak, coachspeak" as the answer.  "Next question?"  Of course most aren't asking about Fountain or Pascal etc.  in the first place for them to have a chance to talk up those guys.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MPStack said:

 

Absolutely, as Cain is not some high draft pick that can’t easily be cut, because a UDFA (Rogers) with 3 threes years experience, is currently a better option to be on the 53 man roster than Cain IMO. 

 

 

Cain will only be cut if he gets hurt again. He is too talented  to cut if he is healthy. He is like a moss type receiver  that can go up and get the football 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, twfish said:

Yea..... Rogers is not a lock at all. A fan favorite but easily replaceable by the talent currently on the roster

Yeah, Rogers is probably toast.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Campbell returns punts Rogers will most likely be gone.

Nah. 

Rogers was not only our returner, he shifted to Z to back up TY, and had the second most WR yards on the team. Unless you want to go without a back up at both Z and slot, Rogers will stick. The only way I see Rogers gone is if an UDFA or tryout z/slot type sticks (or is good enough to hold on the practice squad). At WR, you're biggest risk for cuts is as X right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

I say AV...we won't need field goals this year and we can just go for 2 after each touchdown. :sarcasm:

 

A tough call, but I'm guessing one of the WRs, since Cain should be back and we drafted Campbell.

 

I'll go with Rogers or Fountain.

Haha id say it will be Sanchez because we won’t be punting anymore!

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That would break alot of hearts on this board.

Will not happen, he was the most exciting WR we had in preseason before injury. ton of talent there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JPFolks said:

How is he given the 4th spot? He hasn't done anything.  I'd think he'd be behind both Campbell AND Rogers going in at a  minimum meaning he'd be 5th.  People act like he is Reggie Wayne in his prime.  He's a rookie essentially coming off a major injury with no real game experience.  Even if he WAS going to be the #2 last year (which is supposition on people's part who say so) that was in the void that was our lame WR corps.   It appears Inman isn't getting signed or I'd question whether Cain would already be on the cut line with Pascal and Fountain and whoever else is in camp.  He is going to have to EARN his way into the top safe tier of WRs and we have no idea if he's ready to do that.  I just don't get the blind assumptions on him.  A few weeks in PreSeason is not enough proof of anything.  

 Cain has done just as much in the NFL as Campbell.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Rogers plays his role well. Not everyone is going to be a pro bowler. Once Rogers learned his role last year he was pretty good at what he was asked to do.

Rogers is the best at celebrating after catching his first catch of the game in the 3rd quarter when they are down 14 pts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jay Kirk said:

Will not happen, he was the most exciting WR we had in preseason before injury. ton of talent there. 

 

I don't think he'll be cut either. But if he was, many would be disappointed.

I kinda think though his brother Abel would enjoy it.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Legend said:

Maurice Fountain and Nate Hairston.

Longshot for Fountain to make the 6, but I could easily see him on the practice squad again and given another year of development. I also wouldn't be surprised to see him bump Pascal if all the off season training went well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

I think you have a reasonable take on this.  I wonder though, is he REALLY the most naturally talented of all the rest of those guys?  Maybe he is, but I don't think it is automatic.  Fountain's stats (i.e. measurables) are pretty good.  Their speed is nearly the same etc.  I don't know all of their college stats, and though Cain played for the highest profile school, Darius Leonard didn't even play for a Major University and it didn't matter.  So all these arguments that he's superior because he played at Clemson doesn't mean that much in terms of athleticism.  People wash out of the NFL from major programs every year.  Incredibly athletic guys do as well.  So once again, where's the evidence? And even if it is true, does it matter until he gets on the field to demonstrate? Every type of college level superpowers have washed out badly on the field in the NFL.  We have proof that some of these guys can play, and some small evidence that at least one of them the jury is out.  Obviously by the end of the 4th preseason game, they will set the actual pecking order.  I don't believe for a second that compliments when asked about a specific guy, which is likely the context for ANY comments made by the coaches (like "hey coach, how is Cain's rehab going, will he be ready for the season?"  followed by "coachspeak, coachspeak, coachspeak, coachspeak" as the answer.  "Next question?"  Of course most aren't asking about Fountain or Pascal etc.  in the first place for them to have a chance to talk up those guys.  

Yep, everything you said is true.  I just think that you have to evaluate Cain a little differently due to injury.  But he might not recover to his pre injury traits or he might not beat an established vet out.  I think Cain has more potential but potential can get you fired.

I'm assuming Cain will have earned it and that his presence on the team makes the Colts a better roster, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's cut Hilton so we can keep both Cain and Rogers!  End of debate...LOL.

 

I know whoever gets cut, it will be a tough decision.  However, now that we have upgraded the entire roster from 2-3 years ago, this is what will be happening each year.  Good players will get cut and picked up by other teams.

 

Ballard said that was an indicator that you're doing things right.  When you cut someone and they get claimed by another team right away, you know they're a good player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Let's cut Hilton so we can keep both Cain and Rogers!  End of debate...LOL.

 

I know whoever gets cut, it will be a tough decision.  However, now that we have upgraded the entire roster from 2-3 years ago, this is what will be happening each year.  Good players will get cut and picked up by other teams.

 

Ballard said that was an indicator that you're doing things right.  When you cut someone and they get claimed by another team right away, you know they're a good player.

WR has been my focus in this discussion but you are right.  There are several other areas where the cuts will be tough.  I think S, LB, DL, OL will be exposing some pretty good players to the street.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

 

 

Ballard said that was an indicator that you're doing things right.  When you cut someone and they get claimed by another team right away, you know they're a good player.

Sometimes it's an indicator that you messed up.

Jeff Saturday was cut by the Ravens before coming to the Colts.

Kurt Warner was cut by a couple teams.

Wes Welker was cut by San Diego.

James Harrison was cut by a couple teams.  

Johnny Unitas was cut by the Pittsburgh Steelers back in 1954. 

8 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

WR has been my focus in this discussion but you are right.  There are several other areas where the cuts will be tough.  I think S, LB, DL, OL will be exposing some pretty good players to the street.

I think Skai Moore may be gone.

Kind of a bummer because I was pulling for the guy.   He's got a nose for the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whomever become candidates for release let's hope Ballard can squeeze out a pick for them like he did with Ridgeway.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Don't forget about Boehm.  I think he is our backup center and he looked good last year.  Considering the OL additions I think Clark and Haag are the most vulnerable.  Neither are Ballard guys.  I think Gaethers needs a strong camp and preseason. He can't afford to miss any time.  The safety competition is going to be fierce. 

Clark is as good as gone he was never that great anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Clark is as good as gone he was never that great anyway.

I agree.  Since he's a tackle maybe Ballard can get a pick for him like he did with Ridgeway.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BOTT said:

 Cain has done just as much in the NFL as Campbell.

True enough.  But Campbell isn't coming off an ACL tear either.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is kind of funny this article said ward. Kevin Bowen had a article today and said Ward benefited from this draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Barry Sears said:

Let's cut Hilton so we can keep both Cain and Rogers!  End of debate...LOL.

 

I know whoever gets cut, it will be a tough decision.  However, now that we have upgraded the entire roster from 2-3 years ago, this is what will be happening each year.  Good players will get cut and picked up by other teams.

 

Ballard said that was an indicator that you're doing things right.  When you cut someone and they get claimed by another team right away, you know they're a good player.

You're right.  We see the passionate arguments by many (myself included) about players each year  including (insert favorite camp body here) who unexpectedly, to their fans, get cut.   But imagine the exploding heads when someone we all take for granted as part of our locks to make the team gets cut.  We haven't had much of that to date going back many many years.  We may start seeing some of that this year.  We're so spoiled by Ballard already (keeping EVERY pick from last year and having all the healthy guys start down to Round 7!!!! is INSANE).  This might be the year when one of our favorites gets CRUSHED.   But we'll hopefully be the better team for it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 3:12 PM, JPFolks said:

In response to the bolded line: You just proved our point.  He was all those things you stated, but he came here and EARNED a spot and significant playing time.  Cain hasn't done any of that.  

 

So having a great camp doesn't earn you a roster spot?

 

Deon Cain didn't get cut because he is a very high pick (6th round) and not because he had a great camp??

 

I'm confused

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we seriously entertaining the thought of cutting Moore? Seriously?? That's just asinine

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2019 at 2:09 PM, MPStack said:

He’s  a camp darling, being seen through Colts blue colored glasses. 

 

Well stated in your post!

 

Favoring a Colts player over another Colts player isn't seeing things through Colts glasses, because both players are equally Colts

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Kenny Moore is a much better CB Tim Jennings.
    • According to Houston whispers, the Texans won't pursue a new candidate this year. O'Brien will be the GM for 2019. If that's true, I think Caserio will end up in there .... just not in 2019. (His contract will expire next year in Boston.)
    • Well, Sanders played mostly close to the box, and was covering the middle area of the field a lot in Dungy's system, and Moore plays in the slot, and he is also covering the middle area of the field as well. So, I kinda see why you saw some similarities. However, they are very different types of players, they play at different positions, so there is hardly any similarity if you break down what they do actually. It might seem a bit similar, but it's very different.   And, as others said, Bob was a generational talent. He played on an entirely different level. Remember when teams use to ran 200 / 300 yards against the Colts D in 2006? The entire regular season? Then Bob came back for the playoffs and the Colts D suddenly turned into the big wall of china. That was Sanders, alone. He was a game changer when healthy.
    • You were correct with your 6 games statement. ;) Only, that 6 games can be gained by being on active roster (which is not game day roster!) or on IR.   (Might worth to add, that players on IR don't count against the 53, but they are under "normal" NFL contract. They can rehab in the team facilities, they can take part in meetings, etc. Please also note, that waiving a player with injury settlement and putting someone on IR are two different move. The latter is the "real" IR. It keeps the player under contract, and be part of the team. The former is practically a cut, with some financial implications. E.g., the team is willing to pay money for the player, if he won't be claimed by another team.)   Regarding Cox, 2017 didn't count as accrued season for him, because he spent most of the year on PS, which does not count. (He wasn't on IR neither. I mean, "under contract" IR, because players can be waived with IR settlement as well, which does not count as accrued season.) Cox will be an ERFA in 2020, and an RFA in 2021.
  • Members

    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 1,752

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 550

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • brently76

      brently76 17

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PureLuck

      PureLuck 96

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • egg

      egg 592

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Four2itus

      Four2itus 2,023

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 18,993

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • wig

      wig 881

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • MikeCurtis

      MikeCurtis 1,203

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Restored

      Restored 1,332

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...