Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign RB Spencer Ware

KB

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Yup, injury always plays huge part in the "53", among other things. I'm fine with carry more OL, but I think we've got guys this year we know about now. If LT health is still a concern, then I'm good carrying more again.

On TE usage, Reich's 2TE sets have fluctuated by team. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw more than the ~28% of 2TE sets from last year, but I also know we have a lot more potential at WR (TY, Funch, Campbell, Cain) this year. We also play 7 of the 11 top passing Os this year, so we may need to play less possession ball, and more wide open ball. If I were going to guess, we'll see possession ball vs division foes, and more wide open vs the others.

Keep in mind Funch is a TE-lite, so I could see 2TE sets decrease just because of that. I also don't think Doyle will be back in 2020, so would not be surprised if other TEs got more reps in games where we're ahead by a few scores.

I'm still not totally optimistic Doyle will be 100% come the start of this season.  I do think that Hale Hentges, the UDFA from 'Bama is about as close to a Doyle clone as you could get (Doyle is about 5 pounds heavier and 1-2 inches taller).  But Hentges specializes in blocking and can be a reliable receiver in short yardage situations if needed.  Both guys seem to get by more on work-ethic and toughness than pure athleticism... If Hentges makes the team, I see him almost as Doyle Version 2.0 (it may take him a year or 2 to get up to par in the passing game).

I do agree though, if Cain and TY can stay healthy, if Funchess lives up to his hype/contract, and if Campbell can adjust to the NFL game -- I think we'll see a lot of creativity on offense (a lot of ifs, I know -- but let's be optimistic here -- it's a much different WR corps than we've seen in a while and can be dangerous -- and a lot of teams should struggle body-ing up against both Ebron and Funchess in certain packages).

The nice thing is, with Andrew and his weapons, we can move the ball through the air if we need.  With Big Q and the OL growing another year together, we should be able to run the ball down people's throats if we need to, as well. 

This is the most exciting off-season in quite some time (IMO).

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'm still not totally optimistic Doyle will be 100% come the start of this season.  I do think that Hale Hentges, the UDFA from 'Bama is about as close to a Doyle clone as you could get (Doyle is about 5 pounds heavier and 1-2 inches taller).  But Hentges specializes in blocking and can be a reliable receiver in short yardage situations if needed.  Both guys seem to get by more on work-ethic and toughness than pure athleticism... If Hentges makes the team, I see him almost as Doyle Version 2.0 (it may take him a year or 2 to get up to par in the passing game).

I do agree though, if Cain and TY can stay healthy, if Funchess lives up to his hype/contract, and if Campbell can adjust to the NFL game -- I think we'll see a lot of creativity on offense (a lot of ifs, I know -- but let's be optimistic here -- it's a much different WR corps than we've seen in a while and can be dangerous -- and a lot of teams should struggle body-ing up against both Ebron and Funchess in certain packages).

The nice thing is, with Andrew and his weapons, we can move the ball through the air if we need.  With Big Q and the OL growing another year together, we should be able to run the ball down people's throats if we need to, as well. 

yup, haven't been the excited in a long time. i guarantee Luck is excited. 

not high on Hentges making the team at all. way to slow. good blocker though, even if he strength scores were pretty bad. i just think we'll find another guy who is faster, that's also a decent blocker.

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

yup, haven't been the excited in a long time. i guarantee Luck is excited. 

not high on Hentges making the team at all. way to slow. good blocker though, even if he strength scores were pretty bad. i just think we'll find another guy who is faster, that's also a decent blocker.

He just reminds me a whole lot of Doyle coming out of college.... Doyle was basically a back-up and a grinder (getting by on grit moreso than athletics) used for situational blocking/STs for his first 3 years in the league (after being a UDFA) before breaking out in year 4 as a complete TE.   Seems to me like Hentges has a good role model, even if he needs a year or 2 on practice squad.

23 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

He just reminds me a whole lot of Doyle coming out of college.... Doyle was basically a back-up and a grinder (getting by on grit moreso than athletics) used for situational blocking/STs for his first 3 years in the league (after being a UDFA) before breaking out in year 4 as a complete TE.   Seems to me like Hentges has a good role model, even if he needs a year or 2 on practice squad.

Pretty sure Doyle was a starter his JR and SR year and had a fair amount of yardage those two year (IIRC he had injury issues back then too). Not saying Hentges can do it, I just think he's very limited. Put me in the column signing Ebron next year to a 3 year deal, and either rolling with one of the already signed TEs, or drafting one 2nd to 4th rounds. I do want a guy who's decent at blocking, just want someone who's a little more polished receiver. 

16 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Pretty sure Doyle was a starter his JR and SR year and had a fair amount of yardage those two year (IIRC he had injury issues back then too). Not saying Hentges can do it, I just think he's very limited. Put me in the column signing Ebron next year to a 3 year deal, and either rolling with one of the already signed TEs, or drafting one 2nd to 4th rounds. I do want a guy who's decent at blocking, just want someone who's a little more polished receiver. 

Yes, Doyle was more productive in college as a WR but he also played at Western Kentucky on a team with nowhere near the receiving depth as Alabama.  Hengtes started 13 games as a junior and 3 of his 7 receptions were TDs.  He was named team captain as a senior and started 15 games, with 3 of 4 receptions for TDs.  He is said to have good hands, he just was used primarily as a blocker whereas Irv Smith Jr. was their receiving TE.

You're probably right that he needs some refinement as a receiver... but to start on Alabama full-time for 2 years is saying something.  I am not totally sold on him making the team, he just reminds me a lot of Doyle and I imagine even if we have to stash him on the PS for a year or two and learn from Doyle and others that he can develop into a similar player as Doyle in the NFL (I don't think Doyle had more than 12 catches and was rarely used as a receiver his first 3 years before breaking out with 59 catches his 4th year).

15 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, Doyle was more productive in college as a WR but he also played at Western Kentucky on a team with nowhere near the receiving depth as Alabama.  Hengtes started 13 games as a junior and 3 of his 7 receptions were TDs.  He was named team captain as a senior and started 15 games, with 3 of 4 receptions for TDs.  He is said to have good hands, he just was used primarily as a blocker whereas Irv Smith Jr. was their receiving TE.

You're probably right that he needs some refinement as a receiver... but to start on Alabama full-time for 2 years is saying something.  I am not totally sold on him making the team, he just reminds me a lot of Doyle and I imagine even if we have to stash him on the PS for a year or two and learn from Doyle and others that he can develop into a similar player as Doyle in the NFL (I don't think Doyle had more than 12 catches and was rarely used as a receiver his first 3 years before breaking out with 59 catches his 4th year).

I agree for the most part. If I knew their thoughts on the other TEs like MAC, and the 4 others not named Doyle or Ebron, I might have a better feel. 

What I do love, is that if he was recruited by Bama, and was ranked the 3rd best TE in his class. Had a great offer list. Wouldn't be shocked if he was a diamond, just think he'd have played more at Bama had he been a stud.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree for the most part. If I knew their thoughts on the other TEs like MAC, and the 4 others not named Doyle or Ebron, I might have a better feel. 

What I do love, is that if he was recruited by Bama, and was ranked the 3rd best TE in his class. Had a great offer list. Wouldn't be shocked if he was a diamond, just think he'd have played more at Bama had he been a stud.

He started 13 games as a junior and 15 as a senior (as a team 'permanent' team captain).  Bama has always had a run-heavy offense and he was used primarily as a blocker and in red-zone receiving situations (about 50% of his receptions were TDs).  

He played quite a lot, but they just utilized Irv Smith Jr. as their WR/TE hybrid guy and kept Hentges in a mostly blocking role.

Time will tell what he's actually made of, but I'm kind of high on the guy as a UDFA (we aren't expecting much from a UDFA anyway, but if he could come in and become our next Doyle in a couple years, it'd be very sweet).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He started 13 games as a junior and 15 as a senior (as a team 'permanent' team captain).  Bama has always had a run-heavy offense and he was used primarily as a blocker and in red-zone receiving situations (about 50% of his receptions were TDs).  

He played quite a lot, but they just utilized Irv Smith Jr. as their WR/TE hybrid guy and kept Hentges in a mostly blocking role.

Time will tell what he's actually made of, but I'm kind of high on the guy as a UDFA (we aren't expecting much from a UDFA anyway, but if he could come in and become our next Doyle in a couple years, it'd be very sweet).

I'd love it if worked out. We were a top spender on TEs last year, but got a little cap break because of Doyle's injury I think. I'd prefer not to sign both Ebron and Doyle to big contracts as we're going to have to spend some dollars over the next few years locking up others. Would love to have Ebron on a 3 or 4 year deal, and some up and comer on a cheap rookie contract.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2019 at 12:42 AM, CurBeatElite said:

I don't think we have a more important non QB individual need than a TE who can legitimately block AND receive at the top of the depth chart.  (i.e. 1 or 2).  I get all that Ebron brings, but we missed Doyle's flexibility last year more than anything else.  A 100% healthy/capable Doyle will be the missing piece to make us unstoppable in both run and pass.  Ebron just isn't a substitute.  Doyle was trusted by Luck over all else (not named Hilton) to get 1-10 yards when we most need it, or slip a little deeper and also catch reliably.  I realize we have new weapons like Campbell for that now, but a guy who can effectively chip a DE and on the same play get open and CATCH the dang ball to get a first down is tops in importance in my book.  This is why I wish we had drafted a real TE and not just another converted basketball player type or glorified extra large receiver.  Funchess may as well be a receiving TE, I don't really see much difference than many of the receiving TE's out there.  Doyle is a key weapon "with a specialized set of skills" or so the action movie hero trailer goes, that for me is undervalued by so many here.  Travis Kelce in my view is the most valuable player in KC not named Mahomes.  We all know what Gronk once was.  Doyle is our Gronk/Kelce in terms of production potential on THIS team this year at 100% health.  We all know he's not as likely to be there this season/all season, so it sure would be nice to find a suitable replacement or even upgrade.  I am not familiar with the player you suggested, but thanks for putting him on my radar.