Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts UDFA streak

Scott Pennock

Our unprecedented streak stands at 20 years right now of an UDFA making the final 53.

With all 22 starting positions already accounted for from returning players and the signings of Funchess and Houston, it'll be hard pressed for any of our 10 draft picks to start, let alone make the final 53.

In your mind what position group(s) could a potential UDFA surprise?

Long Snapper?

Marquis Young as a 4th RB/KR?

Penny Hart as a WR/KR?

A CB and/or S that takes over Milton's and Odum's special teams ace role? Corey Turner, Shak Taylor, Jamal Peters, Chris Rayford?

One of Jordan Thompson or Sterling Shippy as a DT/UT?

What are your thoughts?

I think Hentges by far has the best shot, especially if Doyle is not 100% come season opener (which is a good possibility).

After that, I tend to think Jamal Peters or Shak Taylor... both are >6'1" and seem to have pretty good ball skills and physical attributes that Ballard really likes in this defense.

The UDFA streak is a nice feather in the cap and all, but nothing but

a title or two wouldn't smooth the disappointment of breaking the

chain.

Eventually Ballard will build a team to which it will be very difficult

for a walk on to make the team.....and it may not be that far in the

future.

• Like 3

It seems like every year we bring in about 15 or so UDFA and 2-3 always make the team.  

IMO the UDFA I'm most impressed with are, in no particular order:

CB Jamal Peters, 6-1 220, Lindy's has him projected as a 5th rounder and my be moved to                       safety

RB Marquise Young, 5-11 210, UMASS, he had some impressive runs on youtube highlights,                   had something like 3,600 career yards, 5.3 avg. Did not double check to verify.  Could                   compete for 4th RB spot but I would like to see a big 230 lbs plus in our RB corp.

TE Hale Hentges, wearing number 84 sure resemble Jack Doyle a lot.  Is Swoope gone, don't                   see him on our roster.

RB Penny Hart, 5-8 180, another with impressive plays on youtube.  If only if was a little faster,             listed at 4.62, he does play faster and has moves.  Reich and Ballard seems to                                   know the value of having a smaller breakaway guy.  We have Ny Hines, one more                         similar  breakaway type would be nice.

RB Lexington Thomas, 5-8, 175 like Penny Hart but with speed listed at 4.42, and I thought I                   seen a 4.29 on him but I thought Hart had better highlights on youtube. 

WR Ashton Duhlin 6-1 214, 4.42, could not find highlights but read him dominated at low level            competition, super longshot as our WR corp is crowded.

• Like 3

Going through all of the positions, OL, WR, DL, EDGE, LB, CB, S all have a lots of depth and competition already. It'll be a very tall task for an UDFA to sneak in. Not impossible because nothing is impossible, but highly unlikely. And of course at QB, it won't happen.

So it'll be RB or TE probably. TE is less likely, considering that Mo Alie-Cox I think has huge potencial, he's already the second best blocker behind Doyle, and he has basketball background, so he has big upside in receiving. And Ross Travis, before his injury looked like the second best TE behind Doyle last year. At RB, I think the 4th spot is quite open.

6 hours ago, dodsworth said:

The UDFA streak is a nice feather in the cap and all, but nothing but

a title or two wouldn't smooth the disappointment of breaking the

chain.

Eventually Ballard will build a team to which it will be very difficult

for a walk on to make the team.....and it may not be that far in the

future.

I feel ya, and that was the underlying premise to my question. An UDFA is gonna have to blow the doors off to make it as the depth gets deeper and deeper!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I feel ya, and that was the underlying premise to my question. An UDFA is gonna have to blow the doors off to make it as the depth gets deeper and deeper!

I was thinking this year may just be that year.

Practice squad maybe?

On 4/29/2019 at 7:39 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Our unprecedented streak stands at 20 years right now of an UDFA making the final 53.

With all 22 starting positions already accounted for from returning players and the signings of Funchess and Houston, it'll be hard pressed for any of our 10 draft picks to start, let alone make the final 53.

In your mind what position group(s) could a potential UDFA surprise?

Long Snapper?

Marquis Young as a 4th RB/KR?

Penny Hart as a WR/KR?

A CB and/or S that takes over Milton's and Odum's special teams ace role? Corey Turner, Shak Taylor, Jamal Peters, Chris Rayford?

One of Jordan Thompson or Sterling Shippy as a DT/UT?

What are your thoughts?

Honestly, When i noticed we really didn't get any new 'true' DT's, I started researching our UDFA's.  Then after talking with Shippy, I really like his chances.

Good kid.

12 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

I think this is the year that the steak dies. But if I had to pick one I’d say that Jamal Peters kid has the best shot this kid is an animal and he’s crazy athletic.

Ha!!!

Dont tell that to the guys at St. Elmo's!!!

Lol... Sorry, not trying to be the grammar police...

Some typos are just funnier than others...