Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defensive Scheme Indicators Signaled by Draft Weekend

ztboiler

48 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Drafted players, coupled with comments from Ballard this weekend about the same gives indication that we won't be as vanilla on D as the Dungy Colts, and that we do intend to retain and/or build on the more aggressive elements we started to see the back half of the year.

I like what Ballard joked about in his recap after the draft:

"We're gonna play a 'radar' defense with 11 linebackers standing up"

I know he was joking, but our LB corps just got very athletic and versatile.  Gonna be very interesting to see how all of these guys are utilized.  :woah:

• Like 7

One thing I find encouraging is this draft reminds me of how the Patriots do business.

We got of a bunch of guys that are tailor made for OUR system.  Like the Pat's, we got intelligent guys who seem to be very versatile.  We have never had the flexibility to adapt to other teams schemes. I think, assuming these guys pan out, we will be able to do that in the future. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Always love listening to Bruce Arians...and in his intro at Tampa he was asked about defensive scheme.  His response:  "Your scheme is your personnel"

Drafted players, coupled with comments from Ballard this weekend about the same gives indication that we won't be as vanilla on D as the Dungy Colts, and that we do intend to retain and/or build on the more aggressive elements we started to see the back half of the year.

Banogu is the obvious bat signal here.  Calling him a SAM and Rusher as Ballard did suggests potential for 4-3 under looks and ability to legitimately line up more than one way with the same personnel.

Drafting a corner at 34 whose strength is in press not zone (along with commentary about Tell converting to CB) suggests we are going the same direction that the Cowboys went last year to take space away from receivers in coverage more often while retaining the skill to play zone against teams where that is a better match up (ie. Deshaun Watson)

There was reason to be concerned early last year, but the indicators of playing modern football are starting to stack up...very happy about these indicators... 

Absolutely agree that Eberflus has some chess pieces now to mix up a few things here and there for different looks!

Benagu was compared to.......   LB Jamie Collins.    Who plays everywhere.   And Ballard said this kid will play....    everywhere.     All 3 LB positions, PLUS DE and even some DT in certain situations at 250 or so..

Works for me!

But also, both Okereke and Speed were said to be able to play all 3 LB positions.    And both are under 240 or less.    Clearly we want versatility in addition to being smart,  athletic and fast.

Sin and Tell,  both 6'0" or taller,  and fast enough,  both work big time for me at Corner.

I try not to read too much into much of anything in the first month.    I appreciate those games count just as much as games in October, November and December.   But teams are still trying to figure things out that first month.   Many are hiding things for key games later in the season.   Teams are still trying to win just as much,  but nobody is quite ready to show their full hand in September.    And that's no my opinion,  that's what I've been reading for a number of years now.   And it's all due to the limited number of practices that teams have in the run-up to the start of the season.    No one is quite ready for September games.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Benagu was compared to.......   LB Jamie Collins.    Who plays everywhere.   And Ballard said this kid will play....    everywhere.     All 3 LB positions, PLUS DE and even some DT in certain situations at 250 or so..

Works for me!

But also, both Okereke and Speed were said to be able to play all 3 LB positions.    And both are under 240 or less.    Clearly we want versatility in addition to being smart,  athletic and fast.

Sin and Tell,  both 6'0" or taller,  and fast enough,  both work big time for me at Corner.

I try not to read too much into much of anything in the first month.    I appreciate those games count just as much as games in October, November and December.   But teams are still trying to figure things out that first month.   Many are hiding things for key games later in the season.   Teams are still trying to win just as much,  but nobody is quite ready to show their full hand in September.    And that's no my opinion,  that's what I've been reading for a number of years now.   And it's all due to the limited number of practices that teams have in the run-up to the start of the season.    No one is quite ready for September games.   

Amen, can't just come out and show everything. Gotta keeps some cards up your sleeve for the right team and time 

• Thanks 1

Benogu and green both seem like they will play that new DE-Sam hybrid position on defense. Tell will probably back up hooker and play at CB. Speed will probably be Leonard’s primary backup while Okereke will challenge walker for mlb. I love how versatile most of these guys are i think this defense next year is going to be special.

I haven't put a finger on Eberflus's D yet, but I'm optimistic.  Some of the picks no doubt were head scratchers to me, but I'll let it play out. Feels like we're getting a bit exotic. I'm good with that but also want to be great at the less exotic stuff.

Year 2 is going to be exciting on both sides of the ball watching our schemes morph and mature as we get the right personnel. 

I think we will see a defense that swarms all over the field. Fast and nasty is what I think we will become when these guys get used to playing together. We finally have the depth we have needed for a long time.

Offensively improving on an already top 10 rated offense is exciting.

In two years we have stepped away from being the door mat of the NFL to one of the teams to be feared.

• Like 1

I understand wanting to be flexible but they’re crazy if they don’t groom Banogu to play DE. It’s fine if they want to play with him at SAM but he’s got real potential to be a 3 down DE if they coach him up for it.

Overall I’m a fan of mixing it up, but we also need players who can Play in the base defense. I know teams are in Nickel 65% of the team, but we still need guys who can play fundamental football.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I understand wanting to be flexible but they’re crazy if they don’t groom Banogu to play DE. It’s fine if they want to play with him at SAM but he’s got real potential to be a 3 down DE if they coach him up for it.

Overall I’m a fan of mixing it up, but we also need players who can Play in the base defense. I know teams are in Nickel 65% of the team, but we still need guys who can play fundamental football.

Venturi compared him to a young Justin Houston..with better measurable s.  So, I think he’ll be rushing the QB plenty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I haven't put a finger on Eberflus's D yet, but I'm optimistic.  Some of the picks no doubt were head scratchers to me, but I'll let it play out. Feels like we're getting a bit exotic. I'm good with that but also want to be great at the less exotic stuff.

Year 2 is going to be exciting on both sides of the ball watching our schemes morph and mature as we get the right personnel. 

I don't think you have to ever worry about this regime adopting an exotic scheme.  That's not what was on display with the initiatives of this draft.  Ballard's vision is and always will be rooted in a 4 man rush, speed in pursuit, and zone coverage principles.   It simply appears that we are modernizing the scheme the same way that all cover 2 teams must adapt when they want to succeed - and just like the Cowboys did last year - by game plan specific match ups to take space away from receivers and/or front 7 rush and alignment wrinkles.  

4 hours ago, ztboiler said:

I don't think you have to ever worry about this regime adopting an exotic scheme.  That's not what was on display with the initiatives of this draft.  Ballard's vision is and always will be rooted in a 4 man rush, speed in pursuit, and zone coverage principles.   It simply appears that we are modernizing the scheme the same way that all cover 2 teams must adapt when they want to succeed - and just like the Cowboys did last year - by game plan specific match ups to take space away from receivers and/or front 7 rush and alignment wrinkles.  

hope you are right. some of the talk about position fits seem a little less than standard.

3 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Keep in mind Dodds came from Seattle where they kind of used Bruce Irvin a lot like they are planning to do with Banogu.

exactly.  And in much the same way that Cincy used to use Manny Lawson and the way Denver used Von Miller before Wade Phillips switched them to a 3-4.  

• Like 1

If I am not mistaken, due to personnel, Eberflus was forced to call certain plays on D that he may not have played often had he had different personnel. I cannot find the article where it was alluded to but that played into the schemes before and after the 1-5 start. It is just too simplistic to say "he started blitzing" after the 1-5 start. :) 

On 4/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, ztboiler said:

Always love listening to Bruce Arians...and in his intro at Tampa he was asked about defensive scheme.  His response:  "Your scheme is your personnel"

Banogu is the obvious bat signal here.  Calling him a SAM and Rusher as Ballard did suggests potential for 4-3 under looks and ability to legitimately line up more than one way with the same personnel.

Drafting a corner at 34 whose strength is in press not zone (along with commentary about Tell converting to CB) suggests we are going the same direction that the Cowboys went last year to take space away from receivers in coverage more often while retaining the skill to play zone against teams where that is a better match up (ie. Deshaun Watson)

There was reason to be concerned early last year, but the indicators of playing modern football are starting to stack up...very happy about these indicators... 

Agree completely.  The one word I walked away with from the draft is multiple.  

• Like 1

On 4/30/2019 at 4:35 AM, wordofmouth said:

One thing I find encouraging is this draft reminds me of how the Patriots do business.

We got of a bunch of guys that are tailor made for OUR system.  Like the Pat's, we got intelligent guys who seem to be very versatile.  We have never had the flexibility to adapt to other teams schemes. I think, assuming these guys pan out, we will be able to do that in the future. 

Honestly, I don't want the Colts to copy any team's way of doing things. It's not the way what make/made the Patriots so good for so long, but the people they had/have in the first place (Brady, Belichick, and - hate so say it, but it's fact - McDaniels), and then, continutity. It's rare to have a first ballot HOF QB and a first ballot HOF HC to work together so long. And in addition to that, they've had continuity on the other side of the ball, in offense as well. They have their OC for more than a decade now, who is a d***bag to be a good HC, but he is a terrific OC. Imagine if Reich could keep Eberflus for 10+ years. It just does not happen usually.

Regarding Belichick's drafts, I think he's been actually drafting quite poorly for the last 3/4 years. I do like his latest draft class, but I'll hold my judgement because quite a lot of players who I liked before - Derek Rivers, Shelton for example - went nowhere there. So I want to see them play first. All in all, the Pats are an aging roster actually. They're still winning because the immense amount of experience and the 2 HOF's, but if they won't start drafting very-very well very soon, time will catch up with them, and not just because Brady. I see some similarity between Belichick's last 3-4 years and Polian's last 2-3 years. It looked good, but problems were stockpiling below the surface.

Anyway it's their problem. Regarding Ballard, I do like that he indeed has very specific idea of what kind of team he wants to build, and he's looking for players specifically for that team/scheme. If we call this similarity to Belichick, then yes, I like it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterk2011 said:

Honestly, I don't want the Colts to copy any team's way of doing things. It's not the way what make/made the Patriots so good for so long, but the people they had/have in the first place (Brady, Belichick, and - hate so say it, but it's fact - McDaniels), and then, continutity. It's rare to have a first ballot HOF QB and a first ballot HOF HC to work together so long. And in addition to that, they've had continuity on the other side of the ball, in offense as well. They have their OC for more than a decade now, who is a d***bag to be a good HC, but he is a terrific OC. Imagine if Reich could keep Eberflus for 10+ years. It just does not happen usually.

Regarding Belichick's drafts, I think he's been actually drafting quite poorly for the last 3/4 years. I do like his latest draft class, but I'll hold my judgement because quite a lot of players who I liked before - Derek Rivers, Shelton for example - went nowhere there. So I want to see them play first. All in all, the Pats are an aging roster actually. They're still winning because the immense amount of experience and the 2 HOF's, but if they won't start drafting very-very well very soon, time will catch up with them, and not just because Brady. I see some similarity between Belichick's last 3-4 years and Polian's last 2-3 years. It looked good, but problems were stockpiling below the surface.

Anyway it's their problem. Regarding Ballard, I do like that he indeed has very specific idea of what kind of team he wants to build, and he's looking for players specifically for that team/scheme. If we call this similarity to Belichick, then yes, I like it too.

Well let's hope the Colts don't bend rules, break rules and cover up some thing's that are considered cheating. Add the fact that the Patriots have been the most fined team in NFL history. You know, the things that winning makes things invisible to most.

On 5/1/2019 at 2:44 PM, chad72 said:

If I am not mistaken, due to personnel, Eberflus was forced to call certain plays on D that he may not have played often had he had different personnel. I cannot find the article where it was alluded to but that played into the schemes before and after the 1-5 start. It is just too simplistic to say "he started blitzing" after the 1-5 start. :) 

Good  point...pretty sure he doesn't want to rush Kenny Moore as often as did in order to get pressure....