Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bleacher Report after draft rankings ... Who did we bribe ?

HOF19

Sadly, I like Colin Cowherd's take the best. Just because Luck guided the Colts to a playoff appearance, and playoff win, don't get it twisted, they're still in a rebuild. Compared us to the Seahawks. This is true, they aren't on the level of the Patriots or Saints YET, but by God they sure are moving on a favorable trajectory. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

People are just scared to call out Ballard after he hit it out of the park with his first 3 picks last year.

This.  I literally believe this because Ballard made everyone look like a fool last year so now they are just going to say they loved it just in case they look stupid again. 

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

This.  I literally believe this because Ballard made everyone look like a fool last year so now they are just going to say they loved it just in case they look stupid again. 

You mean people were wrong and learned from their mistakes?

They realized reserving judgement is better than hot-takes?

What a novel idea.  haha

29 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Sadly, I like Colin Cowherd's take the best. Just because Luck guided the Colts to a playoff appearance, and playoff win, don't get it twisted, they're still in a rebuild. Compared us to the Seahawks. This is true, they aren't on the level of the Patriots or Saints YET, but by God they sure are moving on a favorable trajectory. 

What do you mean sadly?

To me, it doesn't matter whether we're rebuilding or not, or what you choose to label it. As long as we're winning, I don't care.

As for actually rebuilding, we were fully rebuilding last year, and we're still constructing our roster, but I'm not sure if you can really say we're "rebuilding" this year. I don't know, I guess you have to define rebuild

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigQungus said:

What do you mean sadly?

To me, it doesn't matter whether we're rebuilding or not, or what you choose to label it. As long as we're winning, I don't care.

As for actually rebuilding, we were fully rebuilding last year, and we're still constructing our roster, but I'm not sure if you can really say we're "rebuilding" this year. I don't know, I guess you have to define rebuild

I mean sadly because it means I like one of Cowherd's takes. He is notorious as a Notre Dame basher, and I'm obviously a huge ND fan. I respect that he's extremely clever, and great at his job, but to say ND just can't compete anymore is nonsense, and just trying to ruffle feathers...it worked lol. I argued my points on the air with him in 2011-2012 (during NDs undefeated National Championship appearance, yeah they got murdered by Bama whatever whatever), and he cut me off the air because I think I was winning the debate. 

I'd define rebuilding as any point in time where you aren't actively seeking a SB Title. Where you are a piece or 2, or 3, away from hoisting the Lombardi; where adding an OBJ or Lev Bell would take you to the promised land. When your locker room can absorb a few personalities because it's so meshed together (and Ballard eludes to getting to this point). 

Good luck stopping this passing game attack with the addition of Campbell. I can't wait to see his speed utilized in this offense alongside Hilton, Ebron, Funchess, etc. Campbell was easily my favorite pick.

Honestly I am a bit more skeptical on some of our defensive picks that were made, mostly of Khari Willis, when Amani Hooker was available or you could have traded up a bit more to get Chauncey Gardner Johnson.

(My thoughts on Willis is that he didn't pop off the screen for me, and he was not the cover player we could have used on the backend to pair with Hooker. I feel like you need your starting safeties to be able to cover first and foremost as well as have good closing speed to deflect passes and get to the ball carrier in a hurry. I didn't see that too much out of Willis. Again I hope to be proven wrong on him.)

All that said, I do think our team will compete to win the division again, mostly because we are returning all our starters, with the additions of Houston and Funchess and all the depth players we added defensively in the draft will help. I just don't know if I see potential stars that were drafted on defense. Why we passed on D'Andre Walker for EJ Speed in the 5th I'll never know.  

I think Walterfootball had us at 2 in the after the season rankings.  

Indy went on a good run last year winning 9 out of the final 10 games and winning a playoff game.  With KC losing their best players to releases (Houston & Berry), Trades (Ford) and being terrible human beings (Hill), their odds went down quite a bit.

Ultimately doesn't matter though.  Team has to go out there and win games.  People and the media's impressions of your team don't matter in the NFL like it does in college.  Everything is decided on the field in the NFL.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Nothing sad about it, its part of the plan.

But i do agree 1 more offseason to get this roster right.

I also think our locker room culture can potentially make up for the talent gap as it did to some extrnt last year.

its gonna be fun, thats for sure.

• Like 3

I think Grigson knew with a QB as good as Luck, in the AFC South, you'll  be contending for a division title every year.  Grigson just failed to keep Luck protected and didn't give him some weapons that he needed (or a defense).

In his short time here, Ballard has made sure we have one of the best OL's in football and he's providing him legitimate weapons (Ebron, Funchess, Campbell, etc.).  He's also giving Luck a D so Luck doesn't have to feel the need to do everything for this team to win.

We were the hottest team in football going into the playoffs last year.  When we played KC, TY was so banged up and we didn't really have a legit #2 to take pressure off him and give Luck legitimate threats as receiving options.  

We've gotta stay healthy this year, but we definitely are deeper than we've been in probably about 10-13 years all the way across the board.  

I don't think we bribed anyone, I think this is a legitimate top 8 team in the league and arguably in the top 5.  

• Like 2

Our youth will make for a few mistakes, but Eb and his staff really taught'em well last season.
And our offense has the tools now for really attacking a defense on all levels.
I would agree with anyone that believes one more season, one more FA period, one more draft should have us ready for beating the best come playoff time.
 And with home field advantage this year, who knows.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You mean it could be the Colts didn't have a grade A or B draft and all the media is making it up?

Making it up?!?

Here we go...   again.

How about they’re wrong?  How about they have different views than you?

There are so many different media outlets covering the draft, do you think they’re ALL making it up?

The more outlandish the thought, the greater the odds that it’s simply not true.

You used to be among those saying the media hated the Colts and Irsay.   Now you’re saying they gave us great grades because they’re all making stuff up.   Literally, you’re not happy either way. 

Not a good look for you....   just sayin...

i would not call this a rebuild anymore.  we have a nice mix of youth and veterans

no body is calling this an all time great team, but its pretty good and missing the playoffs would be disappointing rather than expected

To me, I think there is some rebuilding being done but the 2019 season's success has elements the Colts can control, like coaching, playing the right players, game plans, etc and things they can't control....like injuries, strength of schedule, playoff seeding, weather, luck, refs, etc. If they get to the AFC championship game, and it's not played in a frigid New England, I would sure like their chances.

I can definitely see why we could be listed as a top 5 team. We should be the favorites to win the AFC South a division that could potentially have 3 playoff teams in it. Many of the previous AFC elite teams have some big time question marks going into next season. How will Pittsburgh do with no Bell and Brown? Is Lamar Jackson a legit NFL QB in Baltimore? How will Kansas City do in a full season without Hunt and possibly Hill? And at what point do older QB's in New England and San Diego have a drop in production? If the Colts remain healthy and build upon last year's success then they do have the potential to be a top 5 NFL team and maybe even a Super Bowl team this season.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I mean sadly because it means I like one of Cowherd's takes. He is notorious as a Notre Dame basher, and I'm obviously a huge ND fan. I respect that he's extremely clever, and great at his job, but to say ND just can't compete anymore is nonsense, and just trying to ruffle feathers...it worked lol. I argued my points on the air with him in 2011-2012 (during NDs undefeated National Championship appearance, yeah they got murdered by Bama whatever whatever), and he cut me off the air because I think I was winning the debate. 

I'd define rebuilding as any point in time where you aren't actively seeking a SB Title. Where you are a piece or 2, or 3, away from hoisting the Lombardi; where adding an OBJ or Lev Bell would take you to the promised land. When your locker room can absorb a few personalities because it's so meshed together (and Ballard eludes to getting to this point). 

We aren't at the point where our locker room can absorb a few personalities. I think Ballard himself said that that's about a year away or so. I thought he said that, maybe I'm mistaken. 

Wait, did you say you actually called in his show?? That's super cool!! Anyways, back to what I was saying...

I disagree that that is a criterion for having Super Bowl aspirations, or even for not officially rebuilding. We were so close last year, and since then the chiefs lost Dee Ford and Justin Houston, and might lose Tyreek Hill this season. Yes, they gained the Honey Badger and Frank Clark, but still. And I'm just not sure how long the Patriots can do this. We just have to hope that they run out of luck this year. Anyways, point being that we were close last year, and have only gotten better this year.

Our Super Bowl chances are as real as they can be. To say that we don't have those aspirations would definitely be false. So we've shown that it's still possible to contend for a title and put the finishing touches on Ballard's 2-3 year rebuilding plan at the same time.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:12 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'm sorry but I dont believe the talent levels are better for the Saints or the Patriots. People here continue to devalue the importance of good coaching and front office in general... for how long have fans been saying that the coaching was causing all sorts of problems and then magically a new front office brings out more from what everyone says is less talent? 

The colts are on the same level as every team in the league. Dont get it skewed. If the Colts are rebuilding so is the entirety of the NFL. 

The saints have good players. The Patriots have ok players. The chiefs last year had a lot of good players. But they only had a few players that were better than our own. Like WR for the chiefs.. 

I think you're selling this franchise short. There arent a lot of better LBers than Darius Leonard in the NFL. There arent a lot of Better RBs than Marlon Mack. There arent a lot of better QBs than Andrew Luck. And there are almost no better Olines in the NFL than the Colts. Do the Colts have to have an All star at every position in order for people to stop believing we are in rebuild mode? 

Im curious what it takes. Honestly. A SB win? Another year in the playoffs? Because honestly there seems to be no satisfactory answer for some of you guys beyond 3peats. 

The roster of the Colts from 2000 - 2010 weren't significantly better than our current colts. We had the right coach. The right GM and the right QB. They had a great culture and a great locker room and everyone played together as a great TEAM. 

There were a lot of stop gap okish players on those teams. A lot of forgetful players. But only a few allstars or great players through 10 years of the winningest football team in NFL history. By today's standards the colts were rebuilding every year during that time. 

4 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I can definitely see why we could be listed as a top 5 team. We should be the favorites to win the AFC South a division that could potentially have 3 playoff teams in it. Many of the previous AFC elite teams have some big time question marks going into next season. How will Pittsburgh do with no Bell and Brown? Is Lamar Jackson a legit NFL QB in Baltimore? How will Kansas City do in a full season without Hunt and possibly Hill? And at what point do older QB's in New England and San Diego have a drop in production? If the Colts remain healthy and build upon last year's success then they do have the potential to be a top 5 NFL team and maybe even a Super Bowl team this season.

Agreed

2 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

The saints have good players. The Patriots have ok players. The chiefs last year had a lot of good players. But they only had a few players that were better than our own. Like WR for the chiefs.. 

I think you're selling this franchise short. There arent a lot of better LBers than Darius Leonard in the NFL. There arent a lot of Better RBs than Marlon Mack. There arent a lot of better QBs than Andrew Luck. And there are almost no better Olines in the NFL than the Colts. Do the Colts have to have an All star at every position in order for people to stop believing we are in rebuild mode? 

Im curious what it takes. Honestly. A SB win? Another year in the playoffs? Because honestly there seems to be no satisfactory answer for some of you guys beyond 3peats. 

The roster of the Colts from 2000 - 2010 weren't significantly better than our current colts. We had the right coach. The right GM and the right QB. They had a great culture and a great locker room and everyone played together as a great TEAM. 

There were a lot of stop gap okish players on those teams. A lot of forgetful players. But only a few allstars or great players through 10 years of the winningest football team in NFL history. By today's standards the colts were rebuilding every year during that time. 

Do the Patriots get humiliated in the playoffs?

My point is that unless you're at the pinnacle (the Pats), then you're BUILDING towards that. It doesn't necessarily have to be a REbuild, because what does that even mean? You're building until you're at the stage where you continually compete for SB's, and the Saints and Pats routinely compete for SB's, and they're by no means getting absolutely humiliated. We aren't there yet, take the goggles off man. I'm as big a fan as anyone, but with this schedule it's gonna be tough to repeat even last years record. 

Just for fun, I took the Saints last 5 playoff appearances, and the Pats last 5 playoff appearances, and both teams largest margin of defeat was 8 points. We aren't even in the Pats galaxy man, last 5 years? 4 SB appearances and 3 wins, that's where you strive to be. Btw, the Colts playoff appearances under Luck? Well we obviously lost every time, but the margin is what speaks to me, they lost in those games by over 26 points per game. 26 points. We aren't there yet. Are they taking the right steps? Yes. Are they getting close? Absolutely. I love it man, I'm on board, but we aren't on that level YET. 

On 4/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, HOF19 said:

Their overall power rankings have the Colts at # 4 in NFL only behind Patriots...….Saints and Chargers . Hey I hope they are correct ! Article link >>>>>> https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2833327-nfl-power-rankings-where-does-every-team-stand-after-the-2019-nfl-draft#slide32

I think the Colts are this year's fashionable pick, like the Jags were heading into the 2018 season. Unlike the Jags, however, I'm not expecting a 5-11 record for the Colts. I fully expect them to at least match the 10 wins of 2018--but it won't come easy, considering they're playing the Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers and Saints.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I think the Colts are this year's fashionable pick, like the Jags were heading into the 2018 season. Unlike the Jags, however, I'm not expecting a 5-11 record for the Colts. I fully expect them to at least match the 10 wins of 2018--but it won't come easy, considering they're playing the Chiefs, Chargers, Steelers and Saints.

And those are all on the road, that's rough. I think the division actually got a lot of talent in the draft, but they should still go 5-1 or 4-2 most likely. I think their record in those 4 games will determine quite a bit. If they can go 2-2 or even 3-1 I think they have a pretty good shot at the division and playoffs. I honestly think they end up 10-6 again, that schedule is brutal. 

4 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

My point is that unless you're at the pinnacle (the Pats), then you're BUILDING towards that. It doesn't necessarily have to be a REbuild, because what does that even mean? You're building until you're at the stage where you continually compete for SB's, and the Saints and Pats routinely compete for SB's, and they're by no means getting absolutely humiliated. We aren't there yet, take the goggles off man. I'm as big a fan as anyone, but with this schedule it's gonna be tough to repeat even last years record. 

Just for fun, I took the Saints last 5 playoff appearances, and the Pats last 5 playoff appearances, and both teams largest margin of defeat was 8 points. We aren't even in the Pats galaxy man, last 5 years? 4 SB appearances and 3 wins, that's where you strive to be. Btw, the Colts playoff appearances under Luck? Well we obviously lost every time, but the margin is what speaks to me, they lost in those games by over 26 points per game. 26 points. We aren't there yet. Are they taking the right steps? Yes. Are they getting close? Absolutely. I love it man, I'm on board, but we aren't on that level YET. 

I don't have goggles on. I just dont like the term rebuild. It doesn't take multiple SB appearances to be beyond the term rebuild. Yes, every team strives to contend every year. And what I was saying wasnt completely directed at you but to everyone who thinks we are in rebuild mode. Every team is obviously building and aspiring for SBs. But when people talk like this, the colts of the 2000s were constantly rebuilding. 

The saints shouldn't even be in this conversation. You can really only talk about the Patriots, Steelers, cowboys and 49ers. And maybe even the Packers. But all teams are aspiring for that. 

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, and I can understand how my words may be coming off as argumentative so I apologize for that. 

We agree on one thing. The Colts seem to be headed in the right direction. I'm sure the upcoming year will be quite fun to watch. 

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

I don't have goggles on. I just dont like the term rebuild. It doesn't take multiple SB appearances to be beyond the term rebuild. Yes, every team strives to contend every year. And what I was saying wasnt completely directed at you but to everyone who thinks we are in rebuild mode. Every team is obviously building and aspiring for SBs. But when people talk like this, the colts of the 2000s were constantly rebuilding. 

The saints shouldn't even be in this conversation. You can really only talk about the Patriots, Steelers, cowboys and 49ers. And maybe even the Packers. But all teams are aspiring for that. 

I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything, and I can understand how my words may be coming off as argumentative so I apologize for that. 

We agree on one thing. The Colts seem to be headed in the right direction. I'm sure the upcoming year will be quite fun to watch. 

I really don't even know what the term rebuild would be considered? There's so many levels to it. There's teams like AZ that are obviously at the beginning stages, and there's teams like the Colts, which are nearly there. So, yeah idk. That schedule is brutal man, I could see them going 9-7 or 10-6 and actually being a much better football team if that makes any sense. Now, I'm hoping for 12-4 or 11-5 and that being enough for the division and homefield, but I heard an analyst call the South the toughest division from top to bottom in the NFL. So, with our out of conference slate, especially on the road, it's gonna be a grind. Definitely gonna be fun to watch. All we can hope for as fans is for them to stay healthy, and continue to improve. I think they're taking every step to continue that progression. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 3:45 PM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I argued with Cowherd on air once too. It was the Reggie Bush / Mario Williams draft conversation when Cowherd was saying Bush would be the next Barry Sanders. I said the Texans should draft Williams because they already had Davis at RB who had 1200, 1300 and 1800 yards the previous three seasons and pass rush is way too hard to find. Of course he ridiculed me as is his way. I still feel like I won that 2-3 minute debate even though Davis got hurt that year and never played again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I argued with Cowherd on air once too. It was the Reggie Bush / Mario Williams draft conversation when Cowherd was saying Bush would be the next Barry Sanders. I said the Texans should draft Williams because they already had Davis at RB who had 1200, 1300 and 1800 yards the previous three seasons and pass rush is way too hard to find. Of course he ridiculed me as is his way. I still feel like I won that 2-3 minute debate even though Davis got hurt that year and never played again.

Davis? Man, my memory...lol

4 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

This guy....

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DaviDo01.htm

He was amazing for a couple years and then got hurt. I forgot that he changed his name until I googled him and it returned this link. 

Wow, I forgot all about that dude. Those were good times in Indy tho, Manning was kicking all kinds of as*, and stacking MVPs. We should've won at least 2-3 SB's during those years. 

• Like 1