Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

College football 2019-2020 thread

On 10/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, Myles said:

C'mon with the 8 team playoff.

Agreed!

The NFL has a 12-team playoff and there are only 32 teams in the league.

How are you only gonna have 4 teams in the playoffs when there are 100+ fanbases that want a piece of the action?!?  (That being said, I can't really complain.  ND will probably get in again if their only loss is to Georgia by one score)

4 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Agreed!

How are you only gonna have 4 teams in the playoffs when there are 100+ fanbases that want a piece of the action?!?  (That being said, I can't really complain.  ND will probably get in again if their only loss is to Georgia by one score)

The problem is that they prefer to take a team from certain conferences and 4 teams doesn't leave room for a team that is great for only 1 year.   I wouldn't go above 8 teams, but it has to go to 8 at some point.  

I don't like ND's chances.   Alabama will get a spot even if they lose a game.  Same with Clemson.  That still leaves Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma, Auburn and Wisconsin ahead of ND.    

On 10/5/2019 at 11:31 AM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Agreed!

The loss to Georgia, with a soft schedule, and no conference title game, I don't think there is any way ND makes the playoffs. There are a handful of teams ahead of them that could lose a game and still be in over them due to strength of schedule. ND's schedule is Charmin soft the rest of the way. 

10 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Big loss by Georgia earlier. How will that affect Notre Dame? If ND wins out the rest of the way, can they make the playoffs?

That loss did more to hurt Notre Dame than Georgia.  If Georgia wins the SEC they get in along with Alabama unless something strange happens to Bama between now and then.  If Ohio State and Clemson don’t stub their toe that leaves ND on the outside looking in even if they run the table.  Honestly, it would be better for ND if Georgia were to lose again and eliminate them from the playoff hunt completely but then Florida and LSU are going to be in the running.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

That loss did more to hurt Notre Dame than Georgia.  If Georgia wins the SEC they get in along with Alabama unless something strange happens to Bama between now and then.  If Ohio State and Clemson don’t stub their toe that leaves ND on the outside looking in even if they run the table.  Honestly, it would be better for ND if Georgia were to lose again and eliminate them from the playoff hunt completely but then Florida and LSU are going to be in the running.  

I agree. 

Joe Burrow is really on fire this season. Will be interesting how he fares against Alabama. Really looking forward for that game. Tua vs Burrow. I wonder how far he already moved up the draft boards. As of now, i would wonder if he's still available after the first 10 picks. Would he be worth giving it up if JB doesn't get it done?! 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 12:58 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

I don't think there is any way ND makes the playoffs.

On 10/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, NFLfan said:

If ND wins out the rest of the way, can they make the playoffs?

On 10/13/2019 at 2:09 AM, GoColts8818 said:

that leaves ND on the outside looking in even if they run the table.

Welp... it's all a moot point now, anyway.  My Irish got absolutely embarrassed in Ann Arbor last Saturday.  :facepalm:

Only pride to play for the rest of the way.  :clover:

It will be interesting to see how Brian Kelly finishes the season.  There's talk of replacing him with Urban Meyer in the offseason...  :thinking:

7 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Welp... it's all a moot point now, anyway.  My Irish got absolutely embarrassed in Ann Arbor last Saturday.  :facepalm:

It will be interesting to see how Brian Kelly finishes the season.  There's talk of replacing him with Urban Meyer in the offseason...  :thinking:

They have been talking about Urban Meyer since the days of Ty Willingham. I remember that Meyer did not accept the job reportedly because the school would not lower the academic standards. And they should not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

As a Buckeye fan I'd be fine with Urban going to ND, but it sounds like USC is going to try and do everything it can to land him. 

• Like 1

I miss talking with the guys here about college football. There were some great games yesterday, including games featuring unbeaten teams. 

Minnesota Golden Gophers remain undefeated after beating Penn State at home. It was such an entertaining game. I hope my Vikes draft the son of former, Viking Antoine Winfield who was a fan favorite. Antoine Winfield, Jr. is a top safety. We need a safety to go opposite Harrison Smith.

LSU beat Alabama. Great game. That LSU quarterback looks like a #1 pick. What do you think @stitches. Is he #1 on your list now. (I like Fromm :) )

I did not watch the Oklahoma-Iowa State game, but a fellow Vikes fan said Iowa St went for two and lost, 42-41. 

And Stanford lost to Colorado on a last second FG. It should never have come to that. Stanford may not get a bowl this year. They are 4-5 and still have to play Notre Dame. Oh well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I miss talking with the guys here about college football. There were some great games yesterday, including games featuring unbeaten teams. 

Minnesota Golden Gophers remain undefeated after beating Penn State at home. It was such an entertaining game. I hope my Vikes draft the son of former Viking Antoine Winfield who was a fan favorite. Antoine Winfield, Jr. is a top safety. We need a safety to go opposite Harrison Smith.

LSU beat Alabama. Great game. That LSU quarterback looks like a #1 pick. What do you think @stitches. Is he #1 on your list now. (I like Fromm :) )

I did not watch the Oklahoma-Iowa State game, but a fellow Vikes fan said Iowa St went for two and lost, 42-41. 

And Stanford lost to Colorado on a last second FG. It should never have come to that. StanforD may not get a bowl this year. They are 4-5 amd still have to play Notre Dame. Oh well.

Nebraska stinks again so I haven't watched much lmao .

Having said that the LSU/Bama game I did watch the 2nd half. That was a good game. Glad to see Bama go down.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nebraska stinks again so I haven't watched much lmao .

Having said that the LSU/Bama game I did watch the 2nd half. That was a good game. Glad to see Bama go down.

Yeah, I'm tired of watching Alabama win everything. But that was a valiant effort by Tua. At the end of the game, he was limping a lot.

Great game. Bama almost pulled it out. That huge penalty at the end of the first half may have been the difference. After LSU scored a TD, Alabama gets the ball back with little time left in the half. With less than a minute left, Tua's pass is intercepted. A huge penalty (can't recall for what) takes LSU towards scoring range and they score a quick TD.  Without the penalty, LSU may have taken a knee. LSU won by 5.

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Yeah, I'm tired of watching Alabama win everything. But that was a valiant effort by Tua. At the end of the game, he was limping a lot.

Great game. Bama almost pulled it out. That huge penalty at the end of the first half may have been the difference. After LSU scored a TD, Alabama gets the ball back with little time left in the half. With less than a minute left, Tua's pass is intercepted. A huge penalty (can't recall for what) takes LSU towards scoring range and they score a quick TD.  Without the penalty, LSU may have taken a knee. LSU won by 5.

I am still not sold on Burrow being a great NFL QB but if LSU goes unbeaten and wins it all I think he goes #1 in the draft. He is no Andrew Luck though.

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Minnesota Golden Gophers remain undefeated after beating Penn State at home. It was such an entertaining game. I hope my Vikes draft the son of former, Viking Antoine Winfield who was a fan favorite. Antoine Winfield, Jr. is a top safety. We need a safety to go opposite Harrison Smith.

And Stanford lost to Colorado on a last second FG. It should never have come to that. Stanford may not get a bowl this year. They are 4-5 and still have to play Notre Dame. Oh well.

Minnesota vs Penn state was a good and fun game. This was one of the better weekends of college football lately IMO. So many good games and great individual efforts. Baylor vs TCU was a struggle for most of the game but then there were some awesome plays in OT.

Remember when Ballard was really close to giving the coaching job to Matt Rhule? Well Rhule has turned that program around very quickly and they have a shot at the playoffs if they continue to win. 

About LSU vs Alabama - yeah... Burrow is no. 1. I'd be surprised if he doesn't go no.1... he's playing on a completely different level right now and he's showing it against great defenses now. And the thing that's most important most of what he's doing is translatable to the league. That game was awesome because of the concentration of high level offensive talent on both teams. Chase whenever he declares will be round 1 pick. Alabama's WRs are all insane. I wouldn't mind having any of them. I wonder if Smith will jump up on draft boards after the performance he had against that LSU secondary. He burned what many consider the best CB prospect in years (Derek Stingley Jr.) on multiple occasions. It was an amazing battle to watch. Smith has been a bit of a feast or famine receiver this year, but this is somewhat understandable with all the talent at WR Alabama has. Too many mouths to feed and it's only normal sometimes one of them will be left with not many targets. Still he's about to break 1000 yards and already has 11 TDs this year. I've seen him as low as 3d round? To me this is preposterous. I'd take him late 1st easy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am still not sold on Burrow being a great NFL QB but if LSU goes unbeaten and wins it all I think he goes #1 in the draft. He is no Andrew Luck though.

Very few are Andrew Luck level players coming out of the draft. Hell, scratch that. Andrew Luck was a generational prospect. There hasn't been one since him and for 10-15 years before him either. 

Burrow is great though. He's the best college QB I've seen in the last 4-5 years and I don't see many things he does that are not easily translatable to the pros. Maybe you won't ask him to run this much so as to not put him at risk, but it's a good thing to have for special occasions. He has the accuracy both on short and intermediate-long passes, he has the anticipation, he reads the field well, his ball placement is exceptional, he navigates the pocket well, he makes plays off platform and on the run. I really don't see much faults in his game. I want to see him run a bit of a hurry up offense with him calling the plays, rather than looking at the sideline most of the time, but that's a thing he can work on in the pros... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Very few are Andrew Luck level players coming out of the draft. Hell, scratch that. Andrew Luck was a generational prospect. There hasn't been one since him and for 10-15 years before him either. 

Burrow is great though. He's the best college QB I've seen in the last 4-5 years and I don't see many things he does that are not easily translatable to the pros. Maybe you won't ask him to run this much so as to not put him at risk, but it's a good thing to have for special occasions. He has the accuracy both on short and intermediate-long passes, he has the anticipation, he reads the field well, his ball placement is exceptional. I really don't see much faults in his game. I want to see him run a bit of a hurry up offense with him calling the plays, rather than looking at the sideline most of the time, but that's a thing he can work on in the pros... 

Yeah he is the best QB in college football right now IMO. You are right, I need to stop comparing QB's to Luck because when we watched Luck we almost knew the Colts were in great hands even after Peyton retired. Burrow has great potential. He was great yesterday.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah he is the best QB in college football right now IMO. You are right, I need to stop comparing QB's to Luck because when we watched Luck we almost knew the Colts were great hands even after Peyton retired. Burrow has great potential. He was great yesterday.

Yeah... Pretty much the only knock on him is that he's somewhat of a 1 year wonder. He never was this type of prospect before this year, so the question should be - do you think this is aberration, or do you think he's just developed well year by year and come to this point where you can expect similar type of play going forward too?

• Like 1

Just now, stitches said:

Yeah... Pretty much the only knock on him is that he's somewhat of a 1 year wonder. He never was this type of prospect before this year, so the question should be - do you think this is aberration, or do you think he's just developed well year by year and come to this point where you can expect similar type of play going forward too?

Was he a starter before this year? I know he transferred from another school. This is the first year I have heard of him, but then again, I don't follow LSU.

7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Was he a starter before this year? I know he transferred from another school. This is the first year I have heard of him, but then again, I don't follow LSU.

He played for LSU last year too. I remember he had some good games, but nothing like this. BTW their new offensive coordinator(WRs coach and passing game coordinator I think is his official title) is someone to watch. He completely transformed that offense and made Burrow into a no-brainer top 5 pick. I wonder if he has NFL ambitions. He left the Saints for that job, so I don't know what's in his heart? Does he want to stay in college football, or will he be open to moving to the pros again for the right job? Or will he be looking for a headcoaching job in college somewhere? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, stitches said:

He played for LSU last year too. I remember he had some good games, but nothing like this. BTW their new offensive coordinator(WRs coach and passing game coordinator I think is his official title) is someone to watch. He completely transformed that offense and made Burrow into a no-brainer top 5 pick. I wonder if he has NFL ambitions. He left the Saints for that job, so I don't know what's in his heart? Does he want to stay in college football, or will he be open to moving to the pros again for the right job? Or will he be looking for a headcoaching job in college somewhere? 

Thanks for that information. Joe Brady is his name. I had not heard of him before this. It sounds like LSU is doing what it can to retain him, as per this article.

...the Tigers are now reportedly making moves to lock-down the brains behind their prolific offense for the long-haul.

Yahoo! Sports' Pete Thamel reported Saturday evening that LSU has reportedly engaged first-year pass game coordinator and receivers coach Joe Brady about a contract extension as the Tigers sit at a perfect 9-0

While the specifics of a potential contract extension were not revealed, LSU is prepared to pay Brady NFL coordinator market value and could have a deal reached by the end of the season, per Thamel.

• Like 1

I feel terrible for Tua Tagovailoa. He dislocated his hip in the Alabama--Miss St game yesterday. I can't imagine the pain he must have been in. Why did Saban leave Tua in the game when Alabama already had a big lead? Tua had been hurt in the previous game.  :facepalm:

Why do parents let their kids play for Saban? He is all about himself. I hope Alabama misses the playoffs. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I swear, it feels like Buckeye alumni paid off someone to avoid LSU or Clemson in the 2-3 bracket because they match up better against inferior passing teams. 

I don’t believe the Buckeyes are #1 this year. They got elevated to #1 after a 28-17 unconvincing win vs Penn State, LSU had been #1 till then.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chad72 said:

I swear, it feels like Buckeye alumni paid off someone to avoid LSU or Clemson in the 2-3 bracket because they match up better against inferior passing teams. 

I don’t believe the Buckeyes are #1 this year. They got elevated to #1 after a 28-17 unconvincing win vs Penn State, LSU had been #1 till then.

OSU has more wins against top-25 opponents and a much larger margin of victory too.. LSU gave up over 30 points and 600 yards to an Ole Miss team who can't throw a football and 38 points to a 3 win Vanderbilt team. Ohio State is the more complete/dominant team...

10 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

OSU has more wins against top-25 opponents and a much larger margin of victory too.. LSU gave up over 30 points and 600 yards to an Ole Miss team who can't throw a football and 38 points to a 3 win Vanderbilt team. Ohio State is the more complete/dominant team...

Yeah, by ranking the overrated Big Ten teams higher, the committee keeps that narrative going, IMO

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Yeah, by ranking the overrated Big Ten teams higher, the committee keeps that narrative going, IMO

Lol and the SEC wasn't? The SEC is still playing FCS schools.. Ohio State's win metrics are better than LSU's, but I guess now Ohio State will have to go beat Clemson. Oklahoma isn't that good so LSU shouldn't have a problem with them.

10 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Lol and the SEC wasn't? The SEC is still playing FCS schools.. Ohio State's win metrics are better than LSU's, but I guess now Ohio State will have to go beat Clemson. Oklahoma isn't that good so LSU shouldn't have a problem with them.

If Ohio State is as good as people say they are, here’s their chance to prove it, there won’t be any doubt in my mind once they beat Clemson and LSU.

54 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Oklahoma is going to beat LSU and then Ohio St, Hurts going to win it all and bama fans are going to be eating crow.

The same Oklahoma that got beat by KState? The same Oklahoma that struggled against Baylor.. twice? That Oklahoma? Hurts is a bum and got booted from Alabama because he couldn't win a big game. I don't see that changing.. 

They beat otherwise unbeaten Baylor twice, the Bears didnt lose to any other squad so makes sense it would be close. It's the close wins that actually works in the Sooners favor as playoff time expect close games in all 3 battles.

This year no team has been dominant and without flaws and bad games. LSU gave up 38 to Texas, 38 to Vandy...yes Vandy and 37 to Ole Miss, Oklahoma has much more firepower than any of those squads. Joe Burrow has been amazing without him this is a 7-8 win team. Also Orgeron doesnt inspire confidence.

Clemson's struggles have been chronicled all year long 1 pt win over N.C. wasnt exactly inspiring though their D has come on late in the season and Dabo knows how to win big games.....

Ohio St probably has most well rounded squad of the 4, Chase Young isa beast and replacing NFL talents like Haskins,Campbell and McLaurin is never easy but they have done it well. Cant remembr lst time a first year head coach won the national title so Day has his work cut out for him.

Hurts was SEC offensive player of the year as a Freshman in 2016, lead them to the National title game, took them back to the title game as a Sophmore where they won it all. Last season he bailed Bama out in the SEC title game as Tua looked like a deer lost in headlights vs Georgia, Crimson Tide would have missed playoffs altogether not been in another Title game. Goes to Oklahoma leads them to Big 12 Championship and place in Playoffs. Career of 72/16  td to int and 2.864 rushing yards and 38 more tds. Not sure I can remember another QB with so much success who has gotten so much criticism.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 4:37 PM, holeymoley99 said:

Oklahoma is going to beat LSU and then Ohio St, Hurts going to win it all and bama fans are going to be eating crow.

On 12/12/2019 at 5:32 PM, BleedBlu8792 said:

The same Oklahoma that got beat by KState? The same Oklahoma that struggled against Baylor.. twice? That Oklahoma? Hurts is a bum and got booted from Alabama because he couldn't win a big game. I don't see that changing.. 

Both of you should stop posting about things you don't know about.

1.  Bama fans will not be eating crow if Oklahoma wins.  Alabama fans love Hurts and the vast majority of their fans will be cheering for Hurts to win.

2.  Hurts is not a bum, he is a very good college QB and an outstanding person.  Saban did not boot Hurts from Alabama.  Hurts made the decision to leave Alabama so that he could start for another team, just like J. Fields did by the way. 

• Like 1