Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Parris Campbell highlights

RockThatBlue

Kid is a menace on those screens and end arounds! Reich/Luck are gonna have a field day with this dude. Imagine teams trying to double TY now, with Ebron/Doyle running routes, Mack and Hines out of the backfield, Funchess doing his thing, and Campbell wreaking havoc. Good luck opposing D coordinators, ya'll are gonna need it. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Almost drooling at how Reich can use him in this offense.

Don't know if you watched Reich/Ballard presser after the draft, but he said this guy absolutely popped out to him at the combine and on film.  He said it's 'almost unfair' that Luck is going to have so much fire power this year.

We have really struggled in the screen-game since Luck has been our QB (some of that may be on Luck, as he tends to throw high on short passes).  I'd be stoked if Parris Campbell breaks that spell.

Even if he doesn't, I'm sure Reich and Sirianni are going to find very creative ways to utilize this guy's skill set.  I like the nickname given to him by PFF: "The Swiss Army Knife."

25 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Once he masters his routes could be a absolute monster

Listening to Reich and David Carr (NFL Network), I don't think his routes are going to be a major issue.  They both said he stood out among other WRs at the combine in route-running drills.  OSU has a unique offense and Urban Meyer uses players to fit his scheme and has obviously been very successful at the college level.  It's not easy to assess OSU WR's pro-style skill set because the way he uses them -- Michael Thomas (WR, New Orleans Saints) for example was less productive in Urban Meyer's scheme as a senior than Campbell was, but is now an all-pro NFL WR.

Reich says in his press conference that you have to take into mind that Parris Campbell was used specifically for OSU's scheme in college, but that he can do a whole lot more than what you typically see on film.  

If we can continue to develop our OL and keep Luck upright and give him time, teams will have nightmares trying to keep the lid on their defense with TY and Campbell blowing past them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I've read and heard people saying that he was misused @ Ohio State. 

Probably because the Buckeyes felt it was harder to double team him from the slot and him being in motion in the backfield leads to more openings in the run game because they have to honor his speed. If he was outside more, he probably would get safety help or jams by bigger CBs more often.

It wouldn't be too far from how we are going to use him either, with plenty of mouths to feed on our offense, much like the Ohio State offense. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Calmack said:

One thing bothers me. Why didn't they target him on go routes? With his speed...... They didn't even try.. Odd 

Haskins was still green as a QB. They wanted Paris as a safety valve for Haskins.  They ran deep/intermediate routes all the time with Victor, Hill, Mack, and McLaurin, but again, if those guys weren't open Haskins ALWAYS knew where Paris was and used him a ton, obviously. Also, this past year was one of the worst I could remember in terms of OL talent. They couldn't run block at all, again the worst I've seen in a long time, and Haskins had to learn real quick, once they started playing the better defensive teams, that he couldn't hold on to the ball because the OL just couldn't hold up long enough to allow deep plays to develop. They would use the screen game and short game to help open the long game. 

4 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

I didn't watch much Ohio State football, but was this more of a problem with Haskins' accuracy on those routes? 

His accuracy deep was underrated, however as I mentioned above, he just didn't have the time to allow those plays to develop due to the OL. Ryan Day was fantastic at scheming against teams whether they wanted to play zone or man against them. Crossing patterns and screens were their bread and butter because all their WR's are speed guys. They really didn't need to throw deep anyways because any of the 6 WR's they had playing could beat anyone in the open field. It was scary how athletic that WR group was and we have 4 of the 6 returning this year. 

4 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I've read and heard people saying that he was misused @ Ohio State. 

He wasn't. Day knew what he was doing, it's why he's now the HC of OSU. People who say that probably don't understand how bad that OSU OL was. Seriously, as long as I've been a fan, it was probably one of the worst groups I've seen play in a long time. They couldn't run block to save their lives, when that's what they were specifically built for, and then to FINALLY have a great passing QB - to which we haven't had since Troy Smith - they couldn't pass block either. Campbell was a safety valve for Haskins and Day made sure to help Haskins because of the deficiencies up front. McLaurin, Victor, Hill all got to eat too because of Campbell doing all of the underneath work.