Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would you prefer? Alternate draft...

In hindsight, would you prefer our draft, or the following, assuming we don't trade our 1st rounder?

I just hate the fact for our first 2 games this year, we have to face picks 1 and 2 that were on my big board.

Reality:

» ROUND 2, PICK 2 (34th overall): Rock Ya-Sin, cornerback, Temple

» ROUND 2, PICK 17 (49th overall): Ben Banogu, linebacker, TCU

» ROUND 2, PICK 27 (59th overall): Parris Campbell, wide receiver, Ohio State

» ROUND 3, PICK 26 (89th overall): Bobby Okereke, linebacker, Stanford

» ROUND 4, PICK 7 (109th overall): Khari Willis, safety, Michigan State

» ROUND 5, PICK 6 (144th overall): Marvell Tell, cornerback, USC

» ROUND 5, PICK 26 (164th overall): EJ Speed, linebacker, Tarleton State

» ROUND 6, PICK 27 (199th overall): Gerri Green, defensive end, Mississippi State

» ROUND 7, PICK 26 (240th overall): Jackson Barton, tackle, Utah

» ROUND 7, PICK 32 (246th overall): Javon Patterson, center, Ole Miss

Alternate reality: draft tackles a lot more D-Line and O-Line, but much none for secondary.

1. Jerry Tillery (DT)

2. AJ Brown (WR)

2. Khalen Saunders (DT)

3. Bobby Okereke (LB)

4. Michael Jordan (G)

4. Foster Moreau (TE)

5. Kelvin Harmon (WR)

6. Isaiah Prince (T)

7. Gerald Willis (DT)

39 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

In hindsight, would you prefer our draft, or the following, assuming we don't trade our 1st rounder?

I just hate the fact for our first 2 games this year, we have to face picks 1 and 2 that were on my big board.

Reality:

» ROUND 6, PICK 27 (199th overall): Gerri Green, defensive end, Mississippi State

Alternate reality: draft tackles a lot more D-Line and O-Line, but much none for secondary.

1. Jerry Tillery (DT)

2. AJ Brown (WR)

2. Khalen Saunders (DT)

3. Bobby Okereke (LB)

4. Michael Jordan (G)

4. Foster Moreau (TE)

5. Kelvin Harmon (WR)

6. Isaiah Prince (T)

7. Gerald Willis (DT)

3 DTs? 2 WR? 0 edge rushers?Both of the WRs May be the BPA, but still, 2 of them?

and we don’t need 3 DTs at all. Tillery is fine, but with tyquan Lewis moving inside we don’t need more than 1 interior d linemen from the draft

And I don’t like at all how we don’t take ANY edge rushers. None AT ALL. I would not be happy.

Personally I’m just fine with Ballard’s draft

Just now, BigQungus said:

3 DTs? 2 WR? 0 edge rushers?Both of the WRs May be the BPA, but still, 2 of them?

and we don’t need 3 DTs at all. Tillery is fine, but with tyquan Lewis moving inside we don’t need more than 1 interior d linemen from the draft

And I don’t like at all how we don’t take ANY edge rushers. None AT ALL. I would not be happy.

Personally I’m just fine with Ballard’s draft

All of us arm chair GMs don't know what Ballard and his scouts do. At the end of the day, I trust Ballard even though, this was by no means a sexy draft.

The final grades after every draft are to premature to even care about. We won't know how this draft shapes up for at least two seasons.

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Reality:

1. Jerry Tillery (DT)

2. AJ Brown (WR)

2. Khalen Saunders (DT)

3. Bobby Okereke (LB)

4. Michael Jordan (G)

4. Foster Moreau (TE)

5. Kelvin Harmon (WR)

6. Isaiah Prince (T)

7. Gerald Willis (DT)

Each to his own but I like the one we had a whole lot better than the one above. Plus you have no mention of what should be a top 45 pick in what's said to be a very strong upcoming draft.

4 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Our needs at DE are vastly overstated...

Sheard, Houston, Turay, and Lewis all are natural DEs.

Autry can switch to DE on running downs.

Sheard has one year left. Houston is 30 and on a two year deal. Lewis is not a DE in this defense  (just look at the types he drafted). Turay had strength issues last year.

I think there is definitely some long-term needs at DE. Colts are going to take a numbers approach it appears.

12 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Sheard has one year left. Houston is 30 and on a two year deal. Lewis is not a DE in this defense  (just look at the types he drafted). Turay had strength issues last year.

I think there is definitely some long-term needs at DE. Colts are going to take a numbers approach it appears.

I like Turay a lot and I think he'll develop into a great edge rusher, but the point still stands that we need more than 1 promising young edge rusher. This draft supplied some.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MPStack said:

All of us arm chair GMs don't know what Ballard and his scouts do. At the end of the day, I trust Ballard even though, this was by no means a sexy draft.

The final grades after every draft are to premature to even care about. We won't know how this draft shapes up for at least two seasons.

Parris Campbell is a Jennifer Aniston from the 90s hot, super sexy pick in my eyes. I did a little scouting on him predraft, but after watching these highlights again knowing he's a Colt, pretty sure I pitched a tent. 

There are some alternatives I may prefer but I have to say this one is tough.

Only because basically it appears the focus on CB's draft was on speed (in general) and on the secondary.

This alternative version focused more-so on speeding and athletic DTs for the DL (and not the speedy edge rusher types like Banogu) and on bigger WRs and not the shifty guy we got in Campbell. And it did not address the secondary at all. Not even one player there.

So I have to say I'd probably be more inclined to prefer what we actually did.

Definitely good names in the alternative. Just did not seem to fit what the staff appeared to be going for this year based on how things shook out.

I will be very curious to see if Banogu and that 2nd rounder from the Redskins next year ends up looking better than M.Sweat.

But otherwise, I think we did a solid job as is.

4 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Parris Campbell is a Jennifer Aniston from the 90s hot, super sexy pick in my eyes. I did a little scouting on him predraft, but after watching these highlights again knowing he's a Colt, pretty sure I pitched a tent. 

I’m a huge fan of Campbell. He’s raw, but fits Reich’s offense IMO. Super excited to see him catch some screen passes this season. Should be fun to watch. :headspin:

• Like 1