Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
SouthernIndianaNDFan

Frank Reich nailed it

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

He said in the presser "You forget with the high character guys, there's a multiplier, what you put into them it comes out the other side that much better, other guys what you put into them is what you get, it doesn't multiply." 

 

Of course this isn't word for word, but you get the gist. That is what it's all about right there, that winning Colture. Ballard is building not only a championship roster, but the culture that's there is top notch, and it's gonna start paying dividends. Love it man, absolutely love it. Great time to be a Colts fan, enjoy the ride ladies and gentlemen, we've got some fun years ahead of us. 

I agree, I posted something similar to this the other day. High character guys rub off on other players and when you have players that lay it on the line for each other, that is priceless. You have a whole team giving 100%. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also as you can see low character guys tend to fold when faved with adversity. Also, low character not going to give it their all and some. High character will give you everything they have plus some. High character guys usually have the drive and will to go beyond their physical capabilities 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewEra said:

High character guys usually have the drive and will to go beyond their physical capabilities 

 

Then they come back after their playing careers and teach others to do the same

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Also as you can see low character guys tend to fold when faved with adversity. Also, low character not going to give it their all and some. High character will give you everything they have plus some. High character guys usually have the drive and will to go beyond their physical capabilities 

 

No doubt, a lot of people are wondering on here why certain guys weren't selected when they were "obvious choices" at the time, and I think character and fit were the reasons. It takes a great GM to find not only great athletes, that fit your scheme, but great locker room guys. Ballard may be the best, tho it's still early. They have a very particular guy they're looking for, both from a schematic perspective and a personality perspective. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a Colts fan since the Mayflowers rolled into town the COLTS as a franchise has had many GM's & Coaches who in turn brought in ,Players whose qualities on the field & in the community have and continue to be exemplary . While there have been some who could not live up to expectations both on & off the field most do its the Ownership that IMO deserves a lot of credit  . 

 

The Irsay family has done a great job in Indianapolis as a student of history & in particular the events that led the Colts to the Hoosier Dome & now LOS the Captain of the ship Jim Irsay gets an attaboy IMHO teams are  a representation of the owner & our owner has hired a great group of football people who have proven to be over achievers & motivators  & now 12 has protection a running game and a defense this season can't come soon enough .:colts:

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

No doubt, a lot of people are wondering on here why certain guys weren't selected when they were "obvious choices" at the time, and I think character and fit were the reasons. It takes a great GM to find not only great athletes, that fit your scheme, but great locker room guys. Ballard may be the best, tho it's still early. They have a very particular guy they're looking for, both from a schematic perspective and a personality perspective. 

I think that is sometimes true.  I also think that we, as fans, look at talent on a global NFL level, like in general terms.  Teams have a scheme specific view, perhaps that we don't even know about yet, that they are building quietly to address more than the best talent on the field, but rather the talent that can win our division first, and then enough games to get a BYE and finally to win the Super Bowl.  We have so many unique teams to beat this year that they already know the skill sets and usage abilities to achieve their vision.  It may be the vision we all think we know, based on last year etc. But it could also be new based on added abilities we didn't have.  Someone else (not me) address the blazing speed we have amassed in the WR corps (though I am unsure about Fountain making the team but who knows this early).  If he does, then we have perhaps the fast 4 receivers on any one team in the league.  We ALSO have unmatched size between our two TE's (if healthy) and Funchess to throw at teams and an RB with elite speed and receiving skills that might make him our surprise break out star this year when people least expect it.   I would HATE to have to defend against the pass while ALSO trying to defeat our elite pass protection against one of the top QBs in the league.  As long as we got enough hits versus misses on Defense, we should be a nightmare, health willing.  

 

I really think we're going to take a Patriots like strategy against the widely diverse teams we have to play from power run dominant teams to finesse passing teams to perhaps the toughest most balanced opening day opponent of the season (and I don't think San Diego is overly thrilled having to play us either).  There are guys who seem flawed, but what experts miss is what I have been talking about for a while here.  We have guys that have SOMETHING elite in their skillset across the draft picks.  Like the Patriots, if we use those sometimes singular advantages in each guys game, the weaknesses they have mean nothing.  That is what I am seeing in some of these guys.  I think leadership and intelligence is apparent across most of our picks.  I am sure all will be good teammates.  Sometimes the smartest guys get WAY more out of their talent than an Adonis with all the physical gifts who has gotten by with those without really getting the most of those gifts.  

 

I am still learning about these guys.  I look forward to reading everyone's notes on what they have learned as well.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

I think that is sometimes true.  I also think that we, as fans, look at talent on a global NFL level, like in general terms.  Teams have a scheme specific view, perhaps that we don't even know about yet, that they are building quietly to address more than the best talent on the field, but rather the talent that can win our division first, and then enough games to get a BYE and finally to win the Super Bowl.  We have so many unique teams to beat this year that they already know the skill sets and usage abilities to achieve their vision.  It may be the vision we all think we know, based on last year etc. But it could also be new based on added abilities we didn't have.  Someone else (not me) address the blazing speed we have amassed in the WR corps (though I am unsure about Fountain making the team but who knows this early).  If he does, then we have perhaps the fast 4 receivers on any one team in the league.  We ALSO have unmatched size between our two TE's (if healthy) and Funchess to throw at teams and an RB with elite speed and receiving skills that might make him our surprise break out star this year when people least expect it.   I would HATE to have to defend against the pass while ALSO trying to defeat our elite pass protection against one of the top QBs in the league.  As long as we got enough hits versus misses on Defense, we should be a nightmare, health willing.  

 

I really think we're going to take a Patriots like strategy against the widely diverse teams we have to play from power run dominant teams to finesse passing teams to perhaps the toughest most balanced opening day opponent of the season (and I don't think San Diego is overly thrilled having to play us either).  There are guys who seem flawed, but what experts miss is what I have been talking about for a while here.  We have guys that have SOMETHING elite in their skillset across the draft picks.  Like the Patriots, if we use those sometimes singular advantages in each guys game, the weaknesses they have mean nothing.  That is what I am seeing in some of these guys.  I think leadership and intelligence is apparent across most of our picks.  I am sure all will be good teammates.  Sometimes the smartest guys get WAY more out of their talent than an Adonis with all the physical gifts who has gotten by with those without really getting the most of those gifts.  

 

I am still learning about these guys.  I look forward to reading everyone's notes on what they have learned as well.  

 

Great take man

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just how much they give you, but I would say high character guys are probably also guys who repond well to coaching.  You can coach them up better than others.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Been a Colts fan since the Mayflowers rolled into town the COLTS as a franchise has had many GM's & Coaches who in turn brought in ,Players whose qualities on the field & in the community have and continue to be exemplary . While there have been some who could not live up to expectations both on & off the field most do its the Ownership that IMO deserves a lot of credit  . 

 

The Irsay family has done a great job in Indianapolis as a student of history & in particular the events that led the Colts to the Hoosier Dome & now LOS the Captain of the ship Jim Irsay gets an attaboy IMHO teams are  a representation of the owner & our owner has hired a great group of football people who have proven to be over achievers & motivators  & now 12 has protection a running game and a defense this season can't come soon enough .:colts:

 

No better name in football imo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its no different than the corporate world really, or militarydivisions like seals, rangers, etc.  If you put a group of self-starter leader types with excellent character together, anything is possible.  They feed off each other and it really does multiply the value,  production, and output of the individual parts.  Fortune 500 companies value most of the qualities Ballard talks about.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

No better name in football imo.

Jim, yes. Bob, not so much.  Bob was a drunken, cheapskate, Horrible owner while in Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Its no different than the corporate world really, or militarydivisions like seals, rangers, etc.  If you put a group of self-starter leader types with excellent character together, anything is possible.  They feed off each other and it really does multiply the value,  production, and output of the individual parts.  Fortune 500 companies value most of the qualities Ballard talks about.

 

Ballard used to work with Dorsey in KC. Notice the difference now that they are separate. Ballard is drafting high character players. Dorsey drafted Tyreke Hill, knowing his past.  Dorsey, now, has even signed Hunt in Cleveland after KC released him.  I doubt Ballard would.  It’ll be interesting if KC can repeat their success without those two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Even with the problems Irsay had a few years ago, he is night and day better than his father. 

 

His problems are shared by many & without a doubt he is a much better man .

 

According to what I have read & seen this is true however that perspective is a Baltimore Colts fans general opinion .

 

In Indy Bob Irsay is the man that gave us the Colts :td: for that he gets a attaboy..

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Apart from in the movies / tv, do the nice guys ever win?

 

Not when they play the Patriots .

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Ballard used to work with Dorsey in KC. Notice the difference now that they are separate. Ballard is drafting high character players. Dorsey drafted Tyreke Hill, knowing his past.  Dorsey, now, has even signed Hunt in Cleveland after KC released him.  I doubt Ballard would.  It’ll be interesting if KC can repeat their success without those two.

Funny u bring this up.  I was wondering as well how they could seemingly have such different stances with character issues.

  Ballard has said he'll take some chances AFTER the culture is developed and the locker room can ABSORB (good description) players with character concerns.  So i think in the future Ballard may relax a little in this area .  As a comparison though, i wouldnt say Clevelands  culture would be stable enough either so it is VERY interesting to see the different philosophies.  It would be interesting to talk to The exec we have from Seattle (Dobbs?) , and get his view on the matter.

  What i like the most is that our locker room should police itself.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, I'm glad he's on my team!

 

The whole organization is on the same page about what they want to create, from Ballard to the practice squad, to the support staff. That is how you create success in sports, business and life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...