Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Legend of Luck

Kiper: "Ballard does it again. This is my favorite draft class."

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I am not sure if I want Mel Kiper singing our praises. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiper Jr. does his homework, I'm not taking what he says with a grain of salt.  For the picks Ballard had to work with, all indications are we hit a triple.  Talk about some competition, good grief....we are thick with it. Won't know for a long, long time but chances are at least half of this draft class will "stick" somewhere, here or elsewhere.  That's batting .500 if so.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiper isn’t alone.  Todd McShay also said he loved our draft and thought we got great value with our picks.  Either Ballard is becoming a media darling or the learned all legitimately feel like he knows what he’s doing?  Maybe it’s both.  Maybe he’s becoming a media darling because he knows his stuff. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kiper gives thoughtful, rational explainations for his analysis and you guys still bash him? The negativity on this forum is mind numbing. I think we had a great draft, not because Kiper or anyone else on tv said so, it is my opinion. Rock and Okereke are probably going to start. Campbell will be on the field a lot at wr along with Hilton, Funchess, Rogers, and Cain. That is a mix of 5 recievers that will be tough to defend all over the field, and we may even bring Iman back yet.  Depth,depth, depth, competition, competition, competition, what is not to like about it?

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

Kiper gives thoughtful, rational explainations for his analysis and you guys still bash him? The negativity on this forum is mind numbing. I think we had a great draft, not because Kiper or anyone else on tv said so, it is my opinion. Rock and Okereke are probably going to start. Campbell will be on the field a lot at wr along with Hilton, Funchess, Rogers, and Cain. That is a mix of 5 recievers that will be tough to defend all over the field, and we may even bring Iman back yet.  Depth,depth, depth, competition, competition, competition, what is not to like about it?

Yeah I gave our draft a B. Kiper gave it an A which is cool. I really liked our draft. I graded last years an A after it happened so it looks like 2 good to great drafts in a row by Mr Ballard if this years players pan out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because we didn't get the "names" or the guys we thought we should pick they knock the picks. Cause obviously they're GM's and work with an entire scouting department and do thorough research on the players as well. Go figure, same sh%# different day. It's every draft

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

... Campbell will be on the field a lot at wr along with Hilton, Funchess, Rogers, and Cain. That is a mix of 5 recievers that will be tough to defend all over the field, and we may even bring Iman back yet.  Depth,depth, depth, competition, competition, competition, what is not to like about it?

It might be just me, but with Cain & Fountain coming hard for their 2nd training camp, and now adding Campbell in the draft and having added Funchess in free agency, I am not so sure that Rogers’ spot on the roster is as assured as a lot of people seem to be saying.   Time shall tell and it’s going to be a very interesting training camp for the receiver crew. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

It might be just me, but with Cain & Fountain coming hard for their 2nd training camp, and now adding Campbell in the draft and having added Funchess in free agency, I am not so sure that Rogers’ spot on the roster is as assured as a lot of people seem to be saying.   Time shall tell and it’s going to be a very interesting training camp for the receiver crew. 

Agree overall......

 

You may be right on Rogers, but he does the unheralded KR job as well.... not great.... Not bad....

 

Maybe Campbell gets that role here.......  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

The negativity on this forum is mind numbing. 

Some people live for the negativity.....  for some reason

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

It might be just me, but with Cain & Fountain coming hard for their 2nd training camp, and now adding Campbell in the draft and having added Funchess in free agency, I am not so sure that Rogers’ spot on the roster is as assured as a lot of people seem to be saying.   Time shall tell and it’s going to be a very interesting training camp for the receiver crew. 

 

The battle for all of the WR spots outside of Hilton's is gonna be CRAZY. 

 

Campbell, Cain, and Funchess will all be battling for 2-4, and I can see that being a really intense competition for playing time. 

 

But even the final spot or two, those battles will be really close as well. Chester, Pascal, Hogan, Johnson, Hart, and Dulin.... man...that's a BOAT LOAD of talent all competing for 1 or 2 spots.... 

 

I can't wait for camp!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree 100%, there is a lot of competition at the wr position for those final 1 or 2 spots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chrisfarley said:

Kiper Jr. does his homework, I'm not taking what he says with a grain of salt.  For the picks Ballard had to work with, all indications are we hit a triple.  Talk about some competition, good grief....we are thick with it. Won't know for a long, long time but chances are at least half of this draft class will "stick" somewhere, here or elsewhere.  That's batting .500 if so.

I think he just figured out that to look smart all he needs to do is agree with whatever Ballard does in the draft.  I wonder what he was saying last year around this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Colts WR Predictions.... I see SIX

 

Hilton -  100% LOCK

Campbell - 100% LOCK

Funchess - 80% LOCK

Cain - 80% LOCK

Inman (Or Fountain)

Penny Hart - WR/KR (or Chester)

 

Hart may be stashed on PS

 

Gone

Pascal

Hogan

Johnson

Fountain (If Inman is brought back...... which I hope they do)

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Two_pound said:

Kiper gives thoughtful, rational explainations for his analysis and you guys still bash him? The negativity on this forum is mind numbing. I think we had a great draft, not because Kiper or anyone else on tv said so, it is my opinion. Rock and Okereke are probably going to start. Campbell will be on the field a lot at wr along with Hilton, Funchess, Rogers, and Cain. That is a mix of 5 recievers that will be tough to defend all over the field, and we may even bring Iman back yet.  Depth,depth, depth, competition, competition, competition, what is not to like about it?

I doubt we bring Inman back.  Funchess has taken his role and then we drafted a burner.  Don't c a role for Inman on this roster.  Time to c if our late round picks from last year can contribute. I love Campbell and he was by far my fav wide out and player of this draft.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I doubt we bring Inman back.  Funchess has taken his role and then we drafted a burner.  Don't c a role for Inman on this roster.  Time to c if our late round picks from last year can contribute. I love Campbell and he was by far my fav wide out and player of this draft.  

 

I agree and I cannot see the reasoning for Inman wanting to resign with Indy. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many people are complaining about the negativity.    I really haven't seen much negativity on here.   

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always maintained that play off games r a good learning lesson when team a team gets blown out.  They show your weaknesses, you can't hide from it. The KC game exposed 2 things I  thought.  We needed explosive play makers at WR.  It also showed that we were not athletic enuff at linebacker and corner. KC walked up and down the field on our D.  People maintained that our D played better in the 2nd half.  I maintained that KC simply took their foot off the pedal. I feel Paris is a huge....huge addition.  I also think with the athletic players we drafted it allows the colts D o give different looks.  We r facing some great qbs this year and the thought of being able to play more man excites me. I cringed at the the thought of us running zone most of the time. Qbs have evolved to much for that type of D to b effective.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rogers job as kr/pr might be expendable because of Hines.  He had a bad start last year, maybe jitters being new.  We’ll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Agree overall......

 

You may be right on Rogers, but he does the unheralded KR job as well.... not great.... Not bad....

 

Maybe Campbell gets that role here.......  

I have to believe that Campbell represents the biggest threat to Carlos Rogers’ future with the Colts. Not just because of his skill set as a receiver, but because he can return kicks, especially punts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Colts WR Predictions.... I see SIX

 

Hilton -  100% LOCK

Campbell - 100% LOCK

Funchess - 80% LOCK

Cain - 80% LOCK

Inman (Or Fountain)

Penny Hart - WR/KR (or Chester)

 

Hart may be stashed on PS

 

Gone

Pascal

Hogan

Johnson

Fountain (If Inman is brought back...... which I hope they do)

 

 

 

 

Funchess is a 100% lock man lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Colts WR Predictions.... I see SIX

 

Hilton -  100% LOCK

Campbell - 100% LOCK

Funchess - 80% LOCK

Cain - 80% LOCK

Inman (Or Fountain)

Penny Hart - WR/KR (or Chester)

 

Hart may be stashed on PS

 

Gone

Pascal

Hogan

Johnson

Fountain (If Inman is brought back...... which I hope they do)

 

After the Campbell pick, Inman won't come back. The roster is already at 90, and Ballard still wants to add 1 or 2 RB-s, so 1-2 guys will have to go already. And if Cain is recovering well, there's no point to bring him back.

 

So, barring injury or a sudden fall-off, Hilton, Campbell, Funches, Cain and Rogers are probably all locks. Yes, Rogers too.

 

I know some ppl do not like Chester. He had some rough games last year yes. But  he is the punt returner, which is an important role. There's no such thing as "KR/PR" any more, kick returns are joke, however punt returns are key to spec. team. A good punt returner requires good vision, sure hands and very good decision making in traffic. Rogers has all these traits, and he's proven it. It's a reason why he got a 2nd round RFA offer (3 mills guaranteed!) from Ballard. Teams keep guys on rosters exclusively for returning punts. If that guy can catch 60 ball for 450-500 yards, as Rogers can, that's a huge plus.

 

Pascal, Johnson, Fountain and the others can battle for the 6th spot. If Ballard will bring 6. (Not sure if he will or not. There's quality depth all around the offense, so whether it'll be OL, TE, RB or WR where he'll decide to keep one less, he'll probably have to let a valuable young guy go. Tough decisions coming in august.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Two_pound said:

Kiper gives thoughtful, rational explainations for his analysis and you guys still bash him? The negativity on this forum is mind numbing. I think we had a great draft, not because Kiper or anyone else on tv said so, it is my opinion. Rock and Okereke are probably going to start. Campbell will be on the field a lot at wr along with Hilton, Funchess, Rogers, and Cain. That is a mix of 5 recievers that will be tough to defend all over the field, and we may even bring Iman back yet.  Depth,depth, depth, competition, competition, competition, what is not to like about it?

 

Not sure how long you've been around this forum, I browsed for years before finally joining and bashing each other, belittling, and negativity are like the trusses of this building lol. It gets ridiculous at times, and I'll admit that I fall victim to it at times. Anyways, they hit this one out of the park. They're to a point with this team, last years win streak being an example, where they can fine tune it a bit. Getting guys that fit key schematic areas, and guys that may be package specialists is a luxury when you've gotten this far with your lineup. I feel like they're getting close to where they wanna be, and the KC loss gave them the blueprint to get over the top (hopefully). KC exploited a few areas where we obviously needed improvement, areas that can be exploited by the elite coaches in the league (Reid, Belichick). I feel like Ballard really got some guys that will shore up some of those areas. Really excited to see their plan, and how these guys equate within that towards future successes. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Who the hell is Mel Kiper?? If this is his favorite class then that’s not a good sign...

Just because Ballard didn't take who everyone on here was screaming for in this draft doesn't mean we had a bad draft I believe we had a very solid draft for how it all played out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

Not sure how long you've been around this forum, I browsed for years before finally joining and bashing each other, belittling, and negativity are like the trusses of this building lol. It gets ridiculous at times, and I'll admit that I fall victim to it at times. Anyways, they hit this one out of the park. They're to a point with this team, last years win streak being an example, where they can fine tune it a bit. Getting guys that fit key schematic areas, and guys that may be package specialists is a luxury when you've gotten this far with your lineup. I feel like they're getting close to where they wanna be, and the KC loss gave them the blueprint to get over the top (hopefully). KC exploited a few areas where we obviously needed improvement, areas that can be exploited by the elite coaches in the league (Reid, Belichick). I feel like Ballard really got some guys that will shore up some of those areas. Really excited to see their plan, and how these guys equate within that towards future successes. 

When I first joined the forum back in 2015 the negativity used to really bother me but it doesn't as much now. You get used to it once you have been here for 3 or 4 years. I really haven't seen much negativity about this draft though. Most people like it in here and on our poll most people gave it a B. Also because we went 10-6 and won a playoff game, the negativity has dwindled down a lot compared to the previous 2 seasons.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

Funchess is a 100% lock man lol

I think Fountain will have to show a lot of improvement to stick around this time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We shall see.  I didn't like last year's draft much at this time (outside of Nelson and Smith), but couldn't have been more wrong.  I liked this one much more so either that means I'm wrong again or this draft is going to be an all-timer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Just because Ballard didn't take who everyone on here was screaming for in this draft doesn't mean we had a bad draft I believe we had a very solid draft for how it all played out.

Did I say we had a bad draft? I just don’t like Kiper at all. The guy takes bribes from agents to talk up their players and put them high on his draft board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Luck 4 president said:

Did I say we had a bad draft? I just don’t like Kiper at all. The guy takes bribes from agents to talk up their players and put them high on his draft board. 

But Mel has wonderful hair kelly oubre win GIF

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rockywoj said:

It might be just me, but with Cain & Fountain coming hard for their 2nd training camp, and now adding Campbell in the draft and having added Funchess in free agency, I am not so sure that Rogers’ spot on the roster is as assured as a lot of people seem to be saying.   Time shall tell and it’s going to be a very interesting training camp for the receiver crew. 

Yeah, we could lose Rogers and not miss him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

But Mel has wonderful hair kelly oubre win GIF

Lol...

"I may not play football, but I wear a hair helmet everyday!!!"

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

"I may not play football, but I wear a hair helmet everyday!!!"

Yeah his hair is the best very funny lol GIF

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I have to believe that Campbell represents the biggest threat to Carlos Rogers’ future with the Colts. Not just because of his skill set as a receiver, but because he can return kicks, especially punts. 

You mean Chester?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

You think Funchess isn't a lock to make the roster?

A 100% Lock?  I dont know that there is ANYTHING in life that is 100%

 

If he stinks up preseason, (drops 50% of his passes) and the OTHER WRS improve....

 

I think he COULD get cut  (But IMHO......  its FAR more likely that he is a Colt for all of 2019 

 

Sheeze.... tough crowd........

 

I am not agreeing ENOUGH!    :0

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...