Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's Draft

I seem to recall that I posted that Ballard was not going to keep the 26 and 34 pick together. So it was no surprise that it did not happen. Ballard said during the draft that he did not think that most of the value  in the first round , was not worthy of wasting a first round pick over. Ballard is not as hard to predict if you listen to him. To many people get caught up in the media hype on who should go where. I have to give kudo's to Ballard for sticking to his  board, and his scout information on, value for the player in the draft order.  Even though we came back last year after a bad start , we still  are a team that is rebuilding to a degree . That is we are still adding parts  to make us dominate. 

• Like 1

I think everybody should have known that there was going to be a big, fat run on defensive line with a lot of reaching the moment Clelin Ferrel was taken at #4.  Everybody went early.  And when the dust cleared, there wasn't anybody truly worthy left at 26.  As CB said, yes, there were a few of his pool of 8 left that he could have taken at 26, but if the Redskins wanted to trade a 2nd rounder next year, heck yeah, we'll do it.  Worked out fine.

I think we are still kind of in that Defnesive Rebuild. We keep getting 2nd round talent and building the base of the roster. I think in the future when the foundation is absolutely set we will see less draft movement and taking the BPA at our pick. Like Ballard said there were still some of his guys there at 26. 

I think this is a great strategy by him for the next couple years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Black0ut117 said:

I think we are still kind of in that Defnesive Rebuild. We keep getting 2nd round talent and building the base of the roster. I think in the future when the foundation is absolutely set we will see less draft movement and taking the BPA at our pick. Like Ballard said there were still some of his guys there at 26. 

I think this is a great strategy by him for the next couple years.

For sure, it's long term, not sure term. Keep stockpiling early draft picks, and sign cheap complimentary guys in FA. Next season, at bare minimum, they have their 1st, their 2nd and the Skins 2nd, and their 3rd. That's 4 more difference makers via the draft, and a ton of rolled over cap room next year, close to 100 mil again, which likely lands them Top 5 again. Ballard's killin' it. 

• Like 1

It was a gutsy and unusual draft. I honestly don't remember any GM saying, in effect, "talent was second in some of our analysis, we were MORE concerned with character and not wrecking the unique chemistry we have in our lockeroom."

We could have had the EXACT same draft with one exception --- we could have stayed at 26 and drafted Montez Sweat instead of having 49 and choosing Banogu. 

I'm on board, but that will be interesting to track in the coming years.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, Gigc said:

It was a gutsy and unusual draft. I honestly don't remember any GM saying, in effect, "talent was second in some of our analysis, we were MORE concerned with character and not wrecking the unique chemistry we have in our lockeroom."

We could have had the EXACT same draft with one exception --- we could have stayed at 26 and drafted Montez Sweat instead of having 49 and choosing Banogu. 

I'm on board, but that will be interesting to track in the coming years.

Sweat was off the Colts board.   As he was with most teams.   That’s why he fell to pick 26.    Otherwise he’d have been drafted in the top-10/12.

Ballard didn’t have the choice of drafting him or not.

Its pretty clear that Ballard felt he had the luxury of trading out of the 1st round because he had pick #34 in the arsenal. He's put himself in that position again next year if Washington is as mediocre as I think they'll be. And watching Reich's reaction at the end of Day 3 when they picked Okereke, it sounds like they pretty much got the guys they wanted anyway. Darn good job, if I may say so. The Grigson years have been put in the rear view mirror. This team has a Battlefield General in Ballard that is second to none. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sweat was off the Colts board.   As he was with most teams.   That’s why he fell to pick 26.    Otherwise he’d have been drafted in the top-10/12.

Ballard didn’t have the choice of drafting him or not.

Of course he did. We don't KNOW for sure if the Colts took Sweat off their board for medical or any other reason. Other teams did not. He was available. I like the Banogu move. But if Sweat has a pro bowl career, this will be revisited. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gigc said:

Of course he did. We don't KNOW for sure if the Colts took Sweat off their board for medical or any other reason. Other teams did not. He was available. I like the Banogu move. But if Sweat has a pro bowl career, this will be revisited. 

I believe Ballard said in the last draft show that Sweat was indeed off their board. One thing about Ballard is he never seems to tell an untruth.

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

Other teams did not.

One thing we do know is that every team that picked ahead of the Colts, meaning all the teams with a worse record, meaning all the teams more desperate than the Colts to land talent, all PASSED on Sweat.

I think it's safe to say that Sweat was taken off the board for most teams.  If he wasn't off their board, he would have been taken by any team between 10-26.  Even the Redskins passed on him once before trading back up to pick him.

And it should say a lot that the Redskins are the team that traded up to get him.  The Skins don't exactly have an exemplary draft history.

1 hour ago, Gigc said:

But if Sweat has a pro bowl career, this will be revisited. 

This is nothing new. It's easy to play revisionist history...especially with the NFL draft. 

Since hitting 50% on long term players is doing a good job as a GM, then fans can revisit mistakes by every single GM in the league. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man, after years of Grigson and Pagano (hate to include him, as I liked him as a man.. but less as a coach) it feels SO good to have a pair you trust in. You know when Ballard speaks, you know he knows what he's talking about. I was so relaxed during the draft, I knew I wouldn't question ANY move Ballard made, no matter who I wanted or what my mock said. We're building a machine, and we're moving way faster than Ballard himself expected. We're a top 4 team in the NFL right now. Chiefs & Pats (I hope) are trending DOWN as we trend UPWARDS. I haven't been this excited in a while.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:32 PM, Gigc said:

As far as we know,  only one team had Sweat as a first round draft pick despite draft reasons.    The Washington Redskins.    If there was another team,  they made no move to get him despite a very long fall.

Sweat was a premiere Right Defensive End.    According to Ballard himsef,  that's the most coveted piece in the design of his defend.     That spot.    Having Sweat fall to the Colts was a gift.   Except for the medical report.    Without that,  Sweat would've likely been gone in the top-10-12.     Why else do you think he fell to 26?     Everyone needs a great RDE.     There he was,  free for the taking.   And we passed.

That means he was off our board.    And if he's off the board,  Ballard doesn't get to draft him no matter how much he wants him.    Doctors can take a player off your board.    That's why Miami didn't sign Drew Brees as a free agent.   Saban wanted to.    And the Dolphins doctors said no,  you can't.    He's got a bad shoulder.    And the rest is history.    There's nothing to revisit when it's out of your hands....

The bottom of the first round is always a tough place to be, IMO.  Bill Polian and Grigson had to draft from that spot most of their careers.  Trading out is usually a good move, IMO, if you can find a partner.  I'm glad Ballard did that the first time he found himself at the bottom of round 1.