Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91's opinion of the draft

CR91

So with the draft over and done with, here are some cliff notes of what I think the colts did in the draft and how it relates to FA and how the teams is being built

-First note, the colts drafted three DBs. one physical in your face corner, one box safety, and one lengthy safety. What that tells me is the colts wanna provide coverage in different ways instead of just playing zone 80 percent of the time. Rock allows us to play him on an island at times with a teams top WR who excels at man coverage. With tell, you get another safety you can play deep that can strike as well. Willis allows us to match up with TEs and slot wrs. 

-Second note, the colts drafted 4 LBers with two of them also being used as pass rushers as well. The colts want diversity when it comes to their LBers with Banogu and Green that have played both LB and EDGE and Okereke and Speed to add coverage.  Colts want to create a lot of rush from different players and also have coverage on the backside with the extra speed now from our LBers. 

-Third note, the colts only drafted three players on offense, Two olinemen and one wr. The two olinemen are of course depth projects that gives guys like Clark, Garcia, Andrews and Webb competition. Campbell imo is the prize of the draft for us. Everyone knows how much I raved about campbell and cited hes the perfect weapon in reich's offense. Campbell is gonna allow us to create mismatches especially in the back field with Mack or Hines on the field at the same time. Its also gonna give us a lot of one on ones with Funchess and Ebron.

-Fourth note, the colts didn't draft a single dlinemen which tells me the colts like what they have at that position with Autry, Hunt, Stewart, Lewis, and Ward which allowed the colts to focus more on getting more speed on the defense. Also they didn't draft a RB which tells me Ajayi should be signed some time before mini camp.

Overall imo the colts wanted to go into this off-season focused on getting better in the back-end and getting more speed and coverage ability from the LBer position. They also wanted to getting more pass rushers as Ballard has mentioned numerous times that he wants to have 8 pass rushers and not rely on one getting home. And finally the colts wanted depth for their oline and more weapons for andrew.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So with the draft over and done with, here are some cliff notes of what I think the colts did in the draft and how it relates to FA and how the teams is being built

-First note, the colts drafted three DBs. one physical in your face corner, one box safety, and one lengthy safety. What that tells me is the colts wanna provide coverage in different ways instead of just playing zone 80 percent of the time. Rock allows us to play him on an island at times with a teams top WR who excels at man coverage. With tell, you get another safety you can play deep that can strike as well. Willis allows us to match up with TEs and slot wrs. 

-Second note, the colts drafted 4 LBers with two of them also being used as pass rushers as well. The colts want diversity when it comes to their LBers with Banogu and Green that have played both LB and EDGE and Okerker and Speed to add coverage.  Colts want to create a lot of rush from different players and also have coverage on the backside with the extra speed now from our LBers. 

-Third note, the colts only drafted three players on offense, Two olinemen and one wr. The two olinemen are of course depth projects that gives guys like Clark, Garcia, Andrews and Webb competition. Campbell imo is the prize of the draft for us. Everyone knows how much I raved about campbell and cited hes the perfect weapon in reich's offense. Campbell is gonna allow us to create mismatches especially in the back field with Mack or Hines on the field at the same time. Its also gonna give us a lot of one on ones with Funchess and Ebron.

-Fourth note, the colts didn't draft a single dlinemen which tells me the colts like what they have at that position with Autry, Hunt, Stewart, Lewis, and Ward which allowed the colts to focus more on getting more speed on the defense. Also they didn't draft a RB which tells me Ajayi should be signed some time before mini camp.

Overall imo the colts wanted to go into this off-season focused on getting better in the back-end and getting more speed and coverage ability fro the LBer position. They also wanted to getting more pass rushers as Ballard has mentioned numerous times that he wants to have 8 pass rushers and not rely on one getting home. And finally the colts wanted depth for their oline and more weapons for andrew.

Yes.

Colts did three things:

1. Got faster and more athletic.

2. Created immense competition on defense.

3. Drafted for sub packages and special teams.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rally5 said:

Yes.

Colts did three things:

4.  Picked up several D players who can be played at multiple positions.

5.  Continued to emphasize leadership (several more college team captains), humility, character and intelligence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, schwamm said:

4.  Picked up several D players who can be played at multiple positions.

5.  Continued to emphasize leadership (several more college team captains), humility, character and intelligence.

Indeed.

• Like 1

I said in a previous post that adding Banogu as a hybrid SAM/DE combined with Desir, Wilson and Rock's press man capabilities we could run a Cover 3 like Seattle and rush Banogu like we used to with Marcus Washington and Bethea/Sanders/Hayden/Jackson in the backfield.

Lots of possibilities in year two with Eberflus....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm honestly more worried about what the Titans did in the draft. They basically got the best player available at each pick, at positions of need for them. Getting AJ Brown in the 2nd was huge for them, as was getting Nate Davis in the 3rd, and D'Andre Walker in the 5th. 

Some of Indy's picks seemed like they were picks that could have been made later in the draft. NFL.com had Ben Bonogu as a 4th-5th rounder just fyi. I'll trust Ballard though since he nailed the draft last year. I just hope guys like Bonogu, Ya-Sin, Khari Willis, and others pan out. 

I still also think Indy needs a great DT who can man the NT position but can also rush the passer and push the pocket. I doubt Grover Stewart is that guy since he hasn't shown much yet.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

I said in a previous post that adding Banogu as a hybrid SAM/DE combined with Desir, Wilson and Rock's press man capabilities we could run a Cover 3 like Seattle and rush Banogu like we used to with Marcus Washington and Bethea/Sanders/Hayden/Jackson in the backfield.

Lots of possibilities in year two with Eberflus....

Right??? Yep you get it for sure 

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

-Second note, the colts drafted 4 LBers with two of them also being used as pass rushers as well. The colts want diversity when it comes to their LBers with Banogu and Green that have played both LB and EDGE and Okereke and Speed to add coverage.  Colts want to create a lot of rush from different players and also have coverage on the backside with the extra speed now from our LBers. 

Overall imo the colts wanted to go into this off-season focused on getting better in the back-end and getting more speed and coverage ability from the LBer position. They also wanted to getting more pass rushers as Ballard has mentioned numerous times that he wants to have 8 pass rushers and not rely on one getting home. And finally the colts wanted depth for their oline and more weapons for andrew.

Pretty much on point although as far as Green is concerned Ballard said he will play DE. Said thats his best fit.

50 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm honestly more worried about what the Titans did in the draft. They basically got the best player available at each pick, at positions of need for them. Getting AJ Brown in the 2nd was huge for them, as was getting Nate Davis in the 3rd, and D'Andre Walker in the 5th. 

Some of Indy's picks seemed like they were picks that could have been made later in the draft. NFL.com had Ben Bonogu as a 4th-5th rounder just fyi. I'll trust Ballard though since he nailed the draft last year. I just hope guys like Bonogu, Ya-Sin, Khari Willis, and others pan out. 

I still also think Indy needs a great DT who can man the NT position but can also rush the passer and push the pocket. I doubt Grover Stewart is that guy since he hasn't shown much yet.

Ballard said more than once they like the guys they have on the interior and that includes Stewart who isnt a pass rusher anyway. More of a run stuffer like Al Woods. He was a big pass rush guy coming out of a small school, but this is the NFL so its natural that has taken some time. Right now hes just a run stuffer. Ballard feels like he can take the next step.  I dont fear what the Titans did. We will have a very good D this year. Secondary will be much improved and we will have the personnel to play more coverages than we played last year. Specifically more man coverage. We should have several different coverage options when it comes to our LBs and Safeties.

• Like 1

I was surprised by two things. 

1.  The amount of lbers took. 

2.  Not one genuine dl disrupter (edge or dt).  My biggest disappointment. 

The back end though is clearly much stronger.  I also get the feeling we might be seeing a lot of specialty packages with so many athletic, quick lbs. 

2 hours ago, Rally5 said:

Yes.

Colts did three things:

Couldn't have said it better. Bravo.

Ballard (IMO) definitely looks to be drafting the type of team the old Seahawks were. Athletes all over the field you can mix and match according to situations. He's creating a good looking culture of competition at every spot. 

Thankfully he saw what we did last year, TE's and WR's running free underneath or on crossing routes. Even though we were winning we'd get gashed way to often.

Flood the field with rangy, fast, freakishly athletic guys. I think Eberflus will make some beautiful music with what he's been given.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Pretty much on point although as far as Green is concerned Ballard said he will play DE. Said thats his best fit.

I think both. Green mentioned they had him run LBer drills and he has played some LBer

5 hours ago, IinD said:

Couldn't have said it better. Bravo.

Ballard (IMO) definitely looks to be drafting the type of team the old Seahawks were. Athletes all over the field you can mix and match according to situations. He's creating a good looking culture of competd!ition at every spot. 

Thankfully he saw what we did last year, TE's and WR's running free underneath or on crossing routes. Even though we were winning we'd get gashed way to often.

Flood the field with rangy, fast, freakishly athletic guys. I think Eberflus will make some beautiful music with what he's been given.

Thank you and agreed!

5 hours ago, cbear said:

I was surprised by two things. 

1.  The amount of lbers took. 

2.  Not one genuine dl disrupter (edge or dt).  My biggest disappointment. 

The back end though is clearly much stronger.  I also get the feeling we might be seeing a lot of specialty packages with so many athletic, quick lbs. 

I wonder if the staff evaluated what they had on the D-line and concluded that the men were "good enough" but with a stronger backend could become great.  The strength of this draft class was definitely on the defensive side of the ball, particularly the backer and secondary positions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

I think both. Green mentioned they had him run LBer drills and he has played some LBer

Ballard said they had him run those drills because they were trying to see his fit. They determined hes best off as a DE after they did all that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

I wonder if the staff evaluated what they had on the D-line and concluded that the men were "good enough" but with a stronger backend could become great.  The strength of this draft class was definitely on the defensive side of the ball, particularly the backer and secondary positions. 

I think you're absolutely right.  This is where us fans need to just trust the experts opinions.  My hope is that Lewis will be an eye opener when he moves to dt next year. 

13 hours ago, krunk said:

Ballard said more than once they like the guys they have on the interior and that includes Stewart who isnt a pass rusher anyway. More of a run stuffer like Al Woods. He was a big pass rush guy coming out of a small school, but this is the NFL so its natural that has taken some time. Right now hes just a run stuffer. Ballard feels like he can take the next step.  I dont fear what the Titans did. We will have a very good D this year. Secondary will be much improved and we will have the personnel to play more coverages than we played last year. Specifically more man coverage. We should have several different coverage options when it comes to our LBs and Safeties.

I agree bout the Titans.  We crushed their D and there offense is not explosive at all. Plus, I am not a Mariota fan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree bout the Titans.  We crushed their D and there offense is not explosive at all. Plus, I am not a Mariota fan. 

We will dice them up again. We are pretty strong on both sides of the football now.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Until the Titans get a QB that is legit good, they are not a worry. Mariota isn't bad, I would say average but far from good. Tannehill pretty much the same. They have the worst QB in the division and that is glaring. Foles is good, Watson is good, and Luck is very good/borderline great.

I'm not with u on Foles.  I think they will regret move soon after season starts

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Until the Titans get a QB that is legit good, they are not a worry. Mariota isn't bad, I would say average but far from good. Tannehill pretty much the same. They have the worst QB in the division and that is glaring. Foles is good, Watson is good, and Luck is very good/borderline great.

Yes in a real short period of time on Luck , he was in the elite category last year , and seems to improve every year he has been healthy.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Very fair. The Titans did a good job.
 Stewart is unlikely to be great of course. Sure would like to see him come in around 315.
 No reason to believe he won't be better this season and even better in 2020.