Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
MTC

Rumor: Colts signing Chad Kelly?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Irish YJ said:

If true, it might mean JB is on his way somewhere.....

He is not better than Jacoby

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

If true, it might mean JB is on his way somewhere.....

 

Doubtful. Chad would be QB3.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

He is not better than Jacoby

might not matter

8 minutes ago, MTC said:

 

Doubtful. Chad would be QB3.

why get rid of PW who's already under contract for CK if you plan on keeping JB. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

might not matter

why get rid of PW who's already under contract for CK if you plan on keeping JB. 

 

 

Most teams take 4 QBs to camp 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

might not matter

why get rid of PW who's already under contract for CK if you plan on keeping JB. 

 

 


Competition

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

might not matter

why get rid of PW who's already under contract for CK if you plan on keeping JB. 

 

 

 

Confused as to your point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Most teams take 4 QBs to camp 

 

2 minutes ago, MTC said:


Competition

 

idk. if you are keeping JB, he really won't have comp for QB2 anyway.

if you want a guy just to go to camp and compete with walker, why not just go with an undrafted rookie like they turned away that might have a higher ceiling than Kelly and no baggage. why bring in a guy that got released due to arrest? He's not really ever been a humble team guy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didnt Chad Kelly get arrested for Breaking and entering and burglary

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

If true, it might mean JB is on his way somewhere.....

My wild guess.  To TB for Gerald McCoy.  They have been trying to trade him and with Jacoby they get a player.  Colts get McCoy without having to compete with other teams to sign him and they have the space for his contract. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Didnt Chad Kelly get arrested for Breaking and entering and burglary

yep, and admitted it

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

Jacob Dolegala has so much more potential than Chad Kelly.

yup

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

My wild guess.  To TB for Gerald McCoy.  They have been trying to trade him and with Jacoby they get a player.  Colts get McCoy without having to compete with other teams to sign him and they have the space for his contract. 

i'd love mccoy if we could make it work. he's 31 but still has a little tread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

My wild guess.  To TB for Gerald McCoy.  They have been trying to trade him and with Jacoby they get a player.  Colts get McCoy without having to compete with other teams to sign him and they have the space for his contract. 

 

I predict that one of your wild guesses will come true at some point.

 

I mean your 0.00 batting average can't continue forever.

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

 

I predict that one of your wild guesses will come true at some point.

 

I mean your 0.00 batting average can't continue forever.

 

He needs fresh material. The Brissett predictions have made him look, well foolish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We probably do need a developmental QB for camp.

 

Brisket will be here one more year. 

(Even though my prediction of 5 first round picks for Brissett didnt happen... sheeze..... I thought someone would have offered at least a third   :( )

 

There will probably be injuries in camp of starting QBs...  We may get a call then....

 

If you are Brissett....... you want to start, but you can see that the "tea leafs"

dont work in your favor...............  The Colts spot isnt a bad spot to be in.....

 

Offer the kid some cash...... keep him on the team

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

My wild guess.  To TB for Gerald McCoy.  They have been trying to trade him and with Jacoby they get a player.  Colts get McCoy without having to compete with other teams to sign him and they have the space for his contract. 

 

Nobody is going to trade anything of value for him.  The best Tampa could hope for was a day 3 draft pick.  Now they'll just have to cut him.  They really need the 13 million in cap space, and McCoy doesn't fit their new retooled 3-4 defense.

 

Maybe we do sign him for a year or two, like Houston, then.  If the pro scouting department think he still has pro bowl production in him. Competitors to sign him must have cap space to do it as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Nobody is going to trade anything of value for him.  The best Tampa could hope for was a day 3 draft pick.  Now they'll just have to cut him.  They really need the 13 million in cap space, and McCoy doesn't fit their new retooled 3-4 defense.

 

Maybe we do sign him for a year or two, like Houston, then.  If the pro scouting department think he still has pro bowl production in him. Competitors to sign him must have cap space to do it as well.

I understand. The only reason I threw it out there was the Chad Kelly noise.  I believe he was No. 2 at Denver before his incident.  We would guarantee getting McCoy via trade with no competition.  Brissett is gone after a year so you get something for Brissett now while at the same time you secure a new No. 2. QB.  Like I said it's not a prediction just a wild guess at a possibility.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Yet the Colts walked away.  He probably would have replaced Walker at 3 but now they might be opting for a veteran no.2.   Why?  Just keep Walker and find a new no.2 next year.  There should be plenty to choose from.  If anything you would have thought developmental QB not veteran.  I guess expect the unexpected from time to time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But but character issues right?......where all the good ol boys at now? No locker room cancer, high character comments? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

But but character issues right?......where all the good ol boys at now? No locker room cancer, high character comments? 

 

They are busy trying to figure out how "build the trenches" Ballard didn't draft trenches guys early.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

But but character issues right?......where all the good ol boys at now? No locker room cancer, high character comments? 

Kelly would likely cost us next to nothing.   Not a draft pick or a signing bonus.   And it’s just for camp.

 

If we’re considering Kelly,  odds are he’s been in rehab....   hard to see Ballard  bringing in a kid with an ongoing problem that’s he hasn’t addressed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chad Kelly is a high risk/high reward prospect who can drink like his Irish surname would suggest. 

 

He flashed for Denver in the preseason and almost got a shot when Keenum was playing his way out of a job... then got cuffed after a collegesque bender and promptly released.

 

This is a guy you could develop and flip for a pretty good turnaround down the road.  I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

But but character issues right?......where all the good ol boys at now? No locker room cancer, high character comments? 

 

Ballard has been pretty consistent on this:

- Want to build a strong locker room. 

- They might take a chance on a guy once they feel comfortable the culture is well established within the locker room.

- They will look at each player's situation and decide.

 

Signing Chad Kelly is not a risky move. He costs little money as it relates to the NFL and no draft pick has to be used.

 

I am assuming that the Colts got convinced that he has changed and is worth taking a shot at. Much like when they signed Jalen Collins last season. 

 

I think that we have seen and will continue to see the Colts emphasize strong character when they draft (specifically earlier rounds) and spend a lot of cap space but take some shots on guys like Chad Kelly and Jalen Collins if they feel they have turned it around. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IDK, I'm very supportive of 2nd chances, this would be like his 4th.

 

Tossed out of Clemson, arrested in NY in 2014, NFL rescinded combine offer in 2017, and arrested about 6 or 7 months ago.

 

If he's found Jesus, then I'm all for it though. If this is just taking advantage of a cheap contract situation, hope they think the upside is high. He would definitely benefit from being around a bunch of good guys, just not sure if the good guys would benefit from being around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ar7 said:

 

Ballard has been pretty consistent on this:

- Want to build a strong locker room. 

- They might take a chance on a guy once they feel comfortable the culture is well established within the locker room.

- They will look at each player's situation and decide.

 

Signing Chad Kelly is not a risky move. He costs little money as it relates to the NFL and no draft pick has to be used.

 

I am assuming that the Colts got convinced that he has changed and is worth taking a shot at. Much like when they signed Jalen Collins last season. 

 

I think that we have seen and will continue to see the Colts emphasize strong character when they draft (specifically earlier rounds) and spend a lot of cap space but take some shots on guys like Chad Kelly and Jalen Collins if they feel they have turned it around. 

Listen I’m fine wit second chances. It just seems like people are SUPER selective on who it’s okay to give these chances to. “High Character” has been said on here like 10,900 times this weekend but yet everyone is cool with this one cuz it’s “cheap.” It’s crickets in here on Kelly 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

IDK, I'm very supportive of 2nd chances, this would be like his 4th.

 

Tossed out of Clemson, arrested in NY in 2014, NFL rescinded combine offer in 2017, and arrested about 6 or 7 months ago.

 

If he's found Jesus, then I'm all for it though. If this is just taking advantage of a cheap contract situation, hope they think the upside is high. He would definitely benefit from being around a bunch of good guys, just not sure if the good guys would benefit from being around him.

He would have a very short leash if signed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He would have a very short leash if signed.

A short leash is better than handcuffs :-)

 

Had an X that liked them both though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

We probably do need a developmental QB for camp.

 

Brisket will be here one more year. 

(Even though my prediction of 5 first round picks for Brissett didnt happen... sheeze..... I thought someone would have offered at least a third   :( )

 

There will probably be injuries in camp of starting QBs...  We may get a call then....

 

If you are Brissett....... you want to start, but you can see that the "tea leafs"

dont work in your favor...............  The Colts spot isnt a bad spot to be in.....

 

Offer the kid some cash...... keep him on the team

 

 

I been saying that all along.  He is worth more to us than taking a low ball offer for him.

Maybe we could tender him a RFA at the end of next season?  I am not sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Listen I’m fine wit second chances. It just seems like people are SUPER selective on who it’s okay to give these chances to. “High Character” has been said on here like 10,900 times this weekend but yet everyone is cool with this one cuz it’s “cheap.” It’s crickets in here on Kelly 

 

Yes people are selective who gets second chances. It's the NFL so people are going to pick every player apart and be selective in general. 

 

Whether you like it or not the price tag plays a role in how people will feel about this. The higher the price = the higher the risk.

 

The Colts very well could regret signing Kelly but time will tell. Personally, I do believe that the high character/locker room thing is important to Ballard/Reich. When they do decide to take a risk I trust they did their research and feel good that the player has turned things around.

 

They might be wrong about it and it's certainly not something you want to repeat a lot. If they are wrong it's also not something that will likely screw the team up. You easily cut him and move on.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

 

 

idk. if you are keeping JB, he really won't have comp for QB2 anyway.

if you want a guy just to go to camp and compete with walker, why not just go with an undrafted rookie like they turned away that might have a higher ceiling than Kelly and no baggage. why bring in a guy that got released due to arrest? He's not really ever been a humble team guy..

 

I think if we were going to get rid of Jacoby, it would've happened before the draft and it would have been for multiple draft picks.

 

Ballard has also said on record he will talk with Jacoby about trading him before he trades him, as he really likes and respects Jacoby and wants him to land in a spot where Jacoby will thrive and be comfortable.

 

With Miami getting Rosen, I don't see a whole lot of scenarios where Jacoby would land and be better off than he is here in Indy as Luck's back-up.

 

8 minutes ago, ar7 said:

 

Yes people are selective who gets second chances. It's the NFL so people are going to pick every player apart and be selective in general. 

 

Whether you like it or not the price tag plays a role in how people will feel about this. The higher the price = the higher the risk.

 

The Colts very well could regret signing Kelly but time will tell. Personally, I do believe that the high character/locker room thing is important to Ballard/Reich. When they do decide to take a risk I trust they did their research and feel good that the player has turned things around.

 

They might be wrong about it and it's certainly not something you want to repeat a lot. If they are wrong it's also not something that will likely screw the team up. You easily cut him and move on.

 

 

 

Frank Reich and Chad Kelly's uncle, Jim, go way back in this league.  http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-micd-up/0ap3000000978088/Mic-d-Up-Reich-reunites-with-Jim-Kelly-pregame-Week-7

 

I don't know if they knew each other before Buffalo, but they definitely knew each other well from 1986-1994 when they were both QBs on Buffalo.  You can tell from the video above that they have a lot of respect for each other and are probably pretty good friends.  I would venture to guess that Reich knew Chad Kelly from the time he was a little kid (he was born the year Reich left Buffalo as Jim's back-up and lived very close to Buffalo).

 

I'm not saying this with certainty, but this signing could be as simple as Jim Kelly called up Frank Reich and said "Hey buddy, My nephew is a very talented football player, I think he's really trying to turn his life around.  You seem like a coach with a mentality that he could thrive under and he's had a lot of respect for you since he's been a little kid.  Please do me a favor and give him one last chance.  If he doesn't work out for you or screws up again, no hard feelings, but can you help me try to get my nephew's life on track?"

 

Like all other big businesses, the NFL I'm sure has some 'good old boy' mentality associated with it.  I would not be shocked at all if the fact Jim Kelly is Chad's uncle is a reason why he's a guy that selectively gets more than one chance.


Anyway, I think this is low risk/high reward.  Worst case scenario is Ballard/Reich let him know he's on a very short leash, if he screws up, he's gone.  Best case scenario is he cleans up his act, performs well and we trade him or Jacoby for future draft picks and are still set with a solid back up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

I think if we were going to get rid of Jacoby, it would've happened before the draft and it would have been for multiple draft picks.

 

Ballard has also said on record he will talk with Jacoby about trading him before he trades him, as he really likes and respects Jacoby and wants him to land in a spot where Jacoby will thrive and be comfortable.

 

With Miami getting Rosen, I don't see a whole lot of scenarios where Jacoby would land and be better off than he is here in Indy as Luck's back-up.

 

If JB wants to be a starter, there are at least 20 better places to be besides Indy. Sitting behind a guy like Luck is bad thing for more than 2 years if you're young and want a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...