Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
John Hammonds

Grade your mock vs reality -- be honest!

Recommended Posts

Once again, reality proves that despite my belief in my own prowess, I don't know nuthin' about drafting players!  How did you do with yours?

 

1/26  A.J.Brown, WR, Mississippi

  taken 2/51 by the Titans  -- rating: I valued him more than the NFL did, but not by too much

2/34  Dexter Lawrence, DT, Clemson

  taken 1/17 by the Giants -- rating: somebody sure liked him a lot!  Was warning shot on early DL surge

2/59  Joe Jackson, DE, Miami

  taken 5/165 by the Cowboys -- rating: I should definitely value athleticism more; they certainly do!

3/89  David Edwards, T, Wisconsin

  taken 5/169 by the Rams -- rating: do I even know how to rate OL anymore?

4/129 Amani Hooker, S, Iowa

  taken 4/116 by the Titans -- rating: just about got it right; that's two of my players taken by the Titans

4/135 Sean Bunting, CB, Central Michigan

  taken 2/39 by the Bucs -- rating: I was warned Bunting wouldn't last this long

5/164 Bryce Love, RB, Stanford

  taken 4/112 by the Redskins -- rating:  perhaps the Skins weren't put off as much by his injuries

6/199 Mark Fields, CB, Clemson

  undrafted -- rating: I shouldn't have been surprised

7/240 Sutton Smith, OLB, Northern Illinois

  taken 6/175 by the Steelers -- rating: the Steelers got themselves a seriously fun player

OVERALL RATING:  you need to find another hobby!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I didn't do any mocks.

 

So I get an F- for effort.

 

But I get an A+ for not getting anything wrong.

Same here after last year I realized that I have no idea what’s in Ballard’s head so I didn’t even try to make a mock this year

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell was the only pick I got right...but they sort of telegraphed that one by working him out so much. I was definitely not expecting a CB that early. 

 

I was right about WR early...but wasn't expecting Campbell (very pleasant surprise).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, HectorRoberts said:

Same here after last year I realized that I have no idea what’s in Ballard’s head so I didn’t even try to make a mock this year

Exactly my thoughts. I probably did 15 mocks last year and didn’t get a single pick right haha. I didn’t do any this year, but if I did I woulda been in the same boat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would give myself a red F. I did horrible. I can honestly say Paris Campbell is the only person I got right out of the tenish I've done on here and other forums combined. The spot wasn't even right on that note. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 7:04 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I didn't do any mocks.

 

So I get an F- for effort.

 

But I get an A+ for not getting anything wrong.

I knew I wasn't the only one to pass on doing a mock.

I quit after last year when I only got Cain right but that was even 2 rounds early. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pick wise, here's my scale based on how close a player was picked: 

A+ = exact spot 

A = 1 to 3 spots off 

A- = 4 to 6 spots off 

B+ = 8 to 10 spots off 

B = 11 to 13 spots off 

B- = 14 to 16 spots off 

C+ = 17 to 19 spots off 

C = 20 to 22 spots off 

C- = 23 to 25 spots off 

D+ = 26 to 28 spots off 

D = 29 to 31 spots off 

D- = 32 to 34 spots off 

F = 35+ spots off 

 

Round 1 Pick 26: DL Jeffrey Simmons Mississippi State  Actual Pick: R1 #20 to Titans 

Grade: A-   Doesn't surprise me he went as high as #20.  Top 10 talent when healthy

 

Round 2 Pick 34:  S Darnell Savage Jr. Maryland Actual Pick: R1 #21 to Packers 

Grade: B    Ended up being the top S prospect off the board 

 

Round 2 Pick 59: WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside Stanford Actual Pick: R2 #57 to Eagles 

Grade: A   Pretty close on this one 

 

Round 3 Pick 89: DT Renell Wren Arizona State Actual Pick: R4 #125 to Bengals  

Grade: F     Went a lot later than I thought he would 

 

Round 4 Pick 129: DE Anthony Nelson Iowa Actual Pick: R4 #105 to Bucs 

Grade: C-    I was in the right round but he went in the early 4th when I thought late 4th 

 

Round 4 Pick 134: T Chuma Edoga USC Actual Pick: R3 #92 to Jets  

Grade F:  Off my a wide margin here but he is a solid prospect to develop at #92 

 

Round 5 Pick 164 - TE Foster Moreau LSU Actual Pick: R4 #137 to Raiders 

Grade: D+  I think he's good to be a good TE.  Good pick by the Raiders.  

 

Round 6 Pick 199 - Benn Burr-Kirven Washington Actual Pick: R5 #142 to Seahawks  

Grade: F  Due to his size I thought he would be a later round prospect in the 6th 

 

Round 7 Pick 240 - CB Isaiah Wharton Rutgers Actual Pick: Undrafted 

Grade: B-  The last pick was #254, so to be undrafted I was off by 15 spots.  

 

Overall: C    First 4 out of 5 were close but the remaining picks were quite off  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt they would draft Banogu for sure but that's the only one I got. I also didn't make a mock this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I felt they would draft Banogu for sure but that's the only one I got. I also didn't make a mock this year.

Same here on both counts.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2019 at 6:58 AM, Caleb3502 said:

Pick wise, here's my scale based on how close a player was picked: 

A+ = exact spot 

A = 1 to 3 spots off 

A- = 4 to 6 spots off 

B+ = 8 to 10 spots off 

B = 11 to 13 spots off 

B- = 14 to 16 spots off 

C+ = 17 to 19 spots off 

C = 20 to 22 spots off 

C- = 23 to 25 spots off 

D+ = 26 to 28 spots off 

D = 29 to 31 spots off 

D- = 32 to 34 spots off 

F = 35+ spots off 

 

Round 1 Pick 26: DL Jeffrey Simmons Mississippi State  Actual Pick: R1 #20 to Titans 

Grade: A-   Doesn't surprise me he went as high as #20.  Top 10 talent when healthy

 

Round 2 Pick 34:  S Darnell Savage Jr. Maryland Actual Pick: R1 #21 to Packers 

Grade: B    Ended up being the top S prospect off the board 

 

Round 2 Pick 59: WR J.J. Arcega-Whiteside Stanford Actual Pick: R2 #57 to Eagles 

Grade: A   Pretty close on this one 

 

Round 3 Pick 89: DT Renell Wren Arizona State Actual Pick: R4 #125 to Bengals  

Grade: F     Went a lot later than I thought he would 

 

Round 4 Pick 129: DE Anthony Nelson Iowa Actual Pick: R4 #105 to Bucs 

Grade: C-    I was in the right round but he went in the early 4th when I thought late 4th 

 

Round 4 Pick 134: T Chuma Edoga USC Actual Pick: R3 #92 to Jets  

Grade F:  Off my a wide margin here but he is a solid prospect to develop at #92 

 

Round 5 Pick 164 - TE Foster Moreau LSU Actual Pick: R4 #137 to Raiders 

Grade: D+  I think he's good to be a good TE.  Good pick by the Raiders.  

 

Round 6 Pick 199 - Benn Burr-Kirven Washington Actual Pick: R5 #142 to Seahawks  

Grade: F  Due to his size I thought he would be a later round prospect in the 6th 

 

Round 7 Pick 240 - CB Isaiah Wharton Rutgers Actual Pick: Undrafted 

Grade: B-  The last pick was #254, so to be undrafted I was off by 15 spots.  

 

Overall: C    First 4 out of 5 were close but the remaining picks were quite off  

 

 

Your scale is a cool idea...to be more useful, however, as a measure of relevance and accuracy, what do you think of weighting the error range by letter by round? i.e. your scale your scale works for the first round but shouldn’t a projection within 32 picks for the 6th round also be an A given relative difficulty?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't do one but I surely would have flunked it with flying colors.  I would have gone something like DT, DE, WR, CB, S, WR, CB, OL, LB, LB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...