Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts draft EJ Speed, LB, Tarleton St.

MTC

I have to admit that I was impressed with his highlight video. He's seems very instinctive and does not stop until the play is over. If he eventually takes over for Walker, he will need to call the plays for the defense and that is a lot to ask for a rookie, especially from such a small school.

And I bet at the time he was picked, he would have "stumped the truck" with this highlight reel.

Was coming here to post his highlights, so thanks @stitches for ruining my hard work..... haha but who ever took the time to teach this guy how to wrap up and tackle deserves an award. The guy hits hard and has a non stop motor. I am liking the film from what little i see. His RAS is off the charts. Lets hope it translates 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twfish said:

Was coming here to post his highlights, so thanks @stitches for ruining my hard work..... haha but who ever took the time to teach this guy how to wrap up and tackle deserves an award. The guy hits hard and has a non stop motor. I am liking the film from what little i see. His RAS is off the charts. Lets hope it translates 

Sorry. Did you make the video? Full props to whoever made it... it's the first highlight video I saw of him. You can say who's the NFL prospect on those reps... it's really obvious. It's hard to judge a player by just highlights, but from the positives we can take it seems like he can tackle and it seems like he can play sideline to sideline... really fast to the ball... One negative I saw - he sometimes takes poor angles and overruns his pursuit, but I guess that can be taught. I'd rather have a player who needs to be reined in a bit than one who needs to be pushed to be aggressive. 

It's amazing to me how Ballard acquired like... 4 linebackers in the span of 2 drafts who can play sideline to sideline and we had a grand total of ZERO when Grigson and Chuck were making personnel decisions. Such a refreshing and positive change of philosophy considering the way the league is going. Even if nothing comes of him at least we know that we are getting players that have the physical attributes to do the job. Some will work out, some will flame out of the league, but at least we are giving ourselves a chance. 

Darius Leonard, Bobby Okereke and E.J. Speed all look "similar" in their highlight videos....similar builds, wrap up and drive thru tackling, sideline to sideline speed and non-stop motors. Heck, even Adams and Franklin can move pretty well. We've got to have the fastest LB Corps in the league now!??!

My favorite play was about a 4:50 where he runs easily 60 yards to make a tackle after the RB squirted out of the pile - ran him down and never quit on the play. That is what Eberflus cherishes the most.....

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stitches said:

Sorry. Did you make the video? Full props to whoever made it... it's the first highlight video I saw of him. You can say who's the NFL prospect on those reps... it's really obvious. It's hard to judge a player by just highlights, but from the positives we can take it seems like he can tackle and it seems like he can play sideline to sideline... really fast to the ball... One negative I saw - he sometimes takes poor angles and overruns his pursuit, but I guess that can be taught. I'd rather have a player who needs to be reined in a bit than one who needs to be pushed to be aggressive. 

It's amazing to me how Ballard acquired like... 4 linebackers in the span of 2 drafts who can play sideline to sideline and we had a grand total of ZERO when Grigson and Chuck were making personnel decisions. Such a refreshing and positive change of philosophy considering the way the league is going. Even if nothing comes of him at least we know that we are getting players that have the physical attributes to do the job. Some will work out, some will flame out of the league, but at least we are giving ourselves a chance. 

No i did not make it, i was just giving you a hard time since I had the link copied and ready to paste.

One thing I am noticing about Ballard a co is the way they fix the problems on the roster and what they desire. He grabs clusters of players. All who can do the same job and are physically gifted in hopes they push each other to be better players. Instead of taking 1 guy per position trying to fix something hes grabbing 2-3 guys and i love it. The competition is going to be cut throat in the next couple of years when the team is made up almost entirely of his picks. I also like the patience he has on player and allowing them to play. One of my biggest complaints about Grigs and Pags was they hardly let the rookies play and develop. Always forcing them to play behind a stop gap free agent.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 1:06 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

I figured that

What was confusing was that the second article I read was about the diversity he had faced in his college career but said nothing of the arrest

He had multiple offers to pretty good D-1 schools (including Colorado and OK State), but chose to stay close to home because his adopted brother was diagnosed with cancer and he wanted to be around for him.  He said he was hoping his brother would recover and could come play with him afterwards -- he didn't recover, unfortunately.

Ballard said they called everyone they could find contact information for to ask about his character and information related to the arrest(s).  Highschool coaches, friends, teachers, teammates, college coaches, etc.... and everyone they talked to said "that is not EJ Speed."  Basically, it sounds like he was around a bad group and got 'guilt by association,' but has since moved on from surrounding himself with them and has been a solid character on and off the field.

I imagine it may take him a little while to develop as an NFL LBer, but with his speed/athleticism/tackling ability, I don't see why he couldn't thrive as a STer from day 1 while he's getting polished up as an NFL LBer.