Jump to content
cjrichard

Happy with Draft but....

Recommended Posts

Looking back we could have picked (in order) Sweat, Rock, Campbell, then Ben in the 3rd. 

Would have been a much better VALUE haul imo

 

Watched Sweat live quite a few times (LSU grad) and has was tough to block. Dude is a beast. 

 

 I dont know much about Ben and will look more into him. Most pundits think he was a 3rd or 4th round prospect

 

That being said I'm happy with the picks as they were able to address some needs

 

Looking to the 4th, I'm a big fan of hooker and (as a LSU homer) Foster Moreau TE.  Hope we get more OL depth as well

 

Joseph

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how do yu knw Ben would’ve made it to the 3rd if we took him in the 2nd

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is not better value if they have serious concerns about the heart condition or if they feel uncomfortable about the numerous comments about how as a coach you can't yell at him. Not that I think they want 5o be able to yell at him, but the issue is, why? What happens if he gets yelled at? Does he yell back? Does he get violent? Either way, that raises questions about his personality and character. 

 

Bottom line is that people have yo accept that sweat was not on the colts board. He was never going to be a colt. They did not want him. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BOTT said:

25 teams passed on a freakishly athletic edge rusher.....till the model franchise traded up for him.

Good point!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it’s clear Sweat was DQed on the Colts board for some reason.  What that exact reason was we will probably never know.  Time will tell if Ballard was right or wrong to DQ him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because the media doesn’t hype up their name doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t going to be studs.

 

Media wasn’t giving Braden Smith or Leonard near the amount of exposure as other players and said the Colts picked them to early. Redrafting both of them go in the first round. 

 

We cant expect every draft to be like last years because that is almost unheard of however they still seem to have gotten good value plus picked up another second rounder for next year in the process.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cjrichard said:

Looking back we could have picked (in order) Sweat, Rock, Campbell, then Ben in the 3rd. 

Would have been a much better VALUE haul imo

 

Watched Sweat live quite a few times (LSU grad) and has was tough to block. Dude is a beast. 

 

 I dont know much about Ben and will look more into him. Most pundits think he was a 3rd or 4th round prospect

 

That being said I'm happy with the picks as they were able to address some needs

 

Looking to the 4th, I'm a big fan of hooker and (as a LSU homer) Foster Moreau TE.  Hope we get more OL depth as well

 

Joseph

 

 

We didnt pass on Sweat due to skill or performance.   We passed on him (along with most everyone else) due to health concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not impressed with Ballard's strategy for trading up and down.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

plus picked up another second rounder for next year in the process.

That extra 2nd is gonna be awesome next year..

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Not impressed with Ballard's strategy for trading up and down.

???

Sorta goes without saying, but this is impossible to objectively judge without seeing the Colts board... I personally feel that rolling over an extra 2nd into next years draft will be a really nice addition next year when the team will likely be even closer to being a legit contender...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, P'Son said:

Not impressed with Ballard's strategy for trading up and down.

Of course you aren't.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Just because the media doesn’t hype up their name doesn’t necessarily mean they aren’t going to be studs.

 

Media wasn’t giving Braden Smith or Leonard near the amount of exposure as other players and said the Colts picked them to early. Redrafting both of them go in the first round. 

 

We cant expect every draft to be like last years because that is almost unheard of however they still seem to have gotten good value plus picked up another second rounder for next year in the process.

This year's draft may ... value-wise ... rival last year's.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have learned to not judge a draft immediately. I didn't know nearly every player drafted in 18 and seems to have gone pretty well. These guys pour over EVERYONE for months. Seeing a guy live a few times is nothing compared to the work that the GM/scouts have put in.

 

I am 100% behind Chris Ballard. Our team has improved.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, P'Son said:

Not impressed with Ballard's strategy for trading up and down.

 

I can only hope Ballard finds a way to pick up the pieces and move on with his life after hearing such heart breaking news 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BOTT said:

25 teams passed on a freakishly athletic edge rusher.....till the model franchise traded up for him.

Facts.  Lol. When I found out it was the Skins making that move my fears of the Colts somehow missing out were alleviated.  I’ll roll with Ballard on this one all day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only time will tell.

 

2017's draft class rated average post draft, was average in it's rookie season, with a few improving as sophs. Hooker was expected to be good as the first pick, but Mack was a huge value in 2018, and Walker while not a stud, is above average IMO, and was obviously worth the 7th. Only a couple flamed out.

 

2018's draft class was graded B+ post draft, was A in it's rookie season, and hopefully A+ coming up. 

 

Hoping 2019's C+ or B- rating looks silly by mid season. I think RYS will make an impact early in all the 3CB packages we run, and Campbell could be specialist early and monster later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

That extra 2nd is gonna be awesome next year..

Yes Sir!  It gets lost in the fray!

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard’s drafting is like cilantro... Some hate it and some love it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, P'Son said:

Not impressed with Ballard's strategy for trading up and down.

Dude, seriously... you need to take up a new instrument.  Your horn only plays one note, and it is in desperate need of tuning.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Ballard’s drafting is like cilantro... Some hate it and some love it.

Whut?

But cilantro always makes the salsa better!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who knows?  I like that they had a strategy and they pretty much stuck to it.  A few project guys, but you can get away with that when you have 10 picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hottest team in the NFL to end the season just got better by addition....  NFL beware!!!!!!

 

 

seriously no subtraction.  Only additions.  Let that sink in

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard's strategy might not impress the fashionable media picks , but until proven other wise, Let's give the man his due.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, J@son said:

Is not better value if they have serious concerns about the heart condition or if they feel uncomfortable about the numerous comments about how as a coach you can't yell at him. Not that I think they want 5o be able to yell at him, but the issue is, why? What happens if he gets yelled at? Does he yell back? Does he get violent? Either way, that raises questions about his personality and character. 

 

Bottom line is that people have yo accept that sweat was not on the colts board. He was never going to be a colt. They did not want him. 

I agree and enough said but unfortunately, they'll plenty more said. 

3 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Ballard's strategy might not impress the fashionable media picks , but until proven other wise, Let's give the man his due.   

Exactly, thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That second rounder next year can easily fall within the 33-38 range, the Redskins aren't going to be very good this season. And, who knows, Ballard picked up that 2nd rounder and could have gotten the player he wanted (Rock) anyways.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listened to the post draft conference. The more I listen to Ballard and Reich the more I love the draft and leadership with the organization. Very proud to be a Colts fan. 

 

Joseph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I like this draft a lot, the only pick out the 10 I didn't like was Tell, he just didn't seem very productive last year at USC. Had great junior year though. Has the size and speed so maybe he will become a great player for us. I do hope so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, P'Son said:

Not impressed with Ballard's strategy for trading up and down.

Might as well go ahead and prepare yourself for next years draft too. When the Colts finish this season anything like last season or better, you can expect Ballard to trade out of the 1st round again.  Unless the supposed QB class of 2020 throws a wrench in the process, there probably won't be any "premium" players between 26-32 again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...