Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm hyped right now, what a great day 2!

Yoshinator

I'm gunna do what I always do, and just wait until I see them play for a year or two. 

Crazy, I know.

Tillery was the only guy I truly wanted after learning Simmons wouldn't make it past the Titans. Christopher clearly felt differently.

We got a talented zone corner(PFW said he excels in zone), a pass rusher with strength and speed, a talented wr(David Carr on NFL network says his routes are better than people think and that he stood out at the combine.  Has great hands too.  A quick hit target who gets YAC, and a linebacker who is lightning quick with great instincts.  All four of these guys are productive, great athletes, and fit our scheme perfectly.  Hallelujah.

Also liking the blueprint of monster OL and a killer defense.  That sounds like a recipe to win in the playoffs.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Trueman said:

I'm gunna do what I always do, and just wait until I see them play for a year or two. 

Crazy, I know.

Tillery was the only guy I truly wanted after learning Simmons wouldn't make it past the Titans. Christopher clearly felt differently.

What's crazy is you referring to CB as just Christopher.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coltscrazy said:

We got a talented zone corner(PFW said he excels in zone), a pass rusher with strength and speed, a talented wr(David Carr on NFL network says his routes are better than people think and that he stood out at the combine.  Has great hands too.  A quick hit target who gets YAC, and a linebacker who is lightning quick with great instincts.  All four of these guys are productive, great athletes, and fit our scheme perfectly.  Hallelujah.

Also liking the blueprint of monster OL and a killer defense.  That sounds like a recipe to win in the playoffs.

I second that emotion!

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I'm still a bit unsure about the Banogu pick, but I'll hold any criticism until we get a better idea of how they plan on using him.

Otherwise, I really like what we did so far.

At his presser,  Ballard said they'll start BB at SAM.   But he said he can play all 3 LB spots.   Can also play DE and in situations,  can kick inside to DT.     Literally,  he called him a "rusher"...

Seems like an X-factor who might be all over the field depending on Down and Distance and what we want to do.    Saw something saying he tested as the number 1 EDGE on SPARQ, which tries to measure all sorts of athletic ability.    Raw.    Needs polishing.    Sounds like Matt Eberflus is especially high on him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard was playing some chess today! We got an elite corner before the CB run began. Ballard squeezed an extra 5th out of our mid -2nd and took a solid DE. He beat the WR run and grabbed Campbell just in time. Then finished it off with a Darius Leonard clone! 6 picks tomorrow and an extra 2020 2nd round pick included with that and we are in great shape heading into tomorrow! The way Ballard sensed the CB and WR run was legendary! What a boss Ballard is!

It seems we put a premium on speed and athleticism over say scheme fit which I find interesting.  The TCU kid isn't necessarily a DE and not sure he looks like a 4-3 backer but the guys plays on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage a lot which is great. It's going to be super interesting to see how we use him.

Campbell can absolutely fly but wasn't hugely dynamic at OSU in terms of route running but dude can absolutely go.

Ya-Sin didn't really play C2 at Temple but I like we have a guy that can play man if needed and match up with TE's in the passing game.

Speed, Speed, Speed...

I had hoped for an OT just to shore up the depth and future of the position but if Ballard was willing to walk from Risner and Jawaan Taylor at the top of two he must have had a good reason.  These guys should be fun to watch!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

It seems we put a premium on speed and athleticism over say scheme fit which I find interesting.  The TCU kid isn't necessarily a DE and not sure he looks like a 4-3 backer but the guys plays on the opposite side of the line of scrimmage a lot which is great. It's going to be super interesting to see how we use him.

Campbell can absolutely fly but wasn't hugely dynamic at OSU in terms of route running but dude can absolutely go.

Ya-Sin didn't really play C2 at Temple but I like we have a guy that can play man if needed and match up with TE's in the passing game.

Speed, Speed, Speed...

I had hoped for an OT just to shore up the depth and future of the position but if Ballard was willing to walk from Risner and Jawaan Taylor at the top of two he must have had a good reason.  These guys should be fun to watch!

Are you kidding? Rock Ya-Sin is a perfect scheme fit for our D. Campbell fits what Reich wants to do on offense as well. 

4 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Are you kidding? Rock Ya-Sin is a perfect scheme fit for our D. Campbell fits what Reich wants to do on offense as well. 

Chill, I don't think I was kidding, we don't play much press man and that's what he played at Temple right?  So he has to learn to play cover 2.  Now, we will likely man up on TE's with him but he's not a perfect scheme fit.  That doesn't mean he's not a good pick.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

Chill, I don't think I was kidding, we don't play much press man and that's what he played at Temple right?  So he has to learn to play cover 2.  Now, we will likely man up on TE's with him but he's not a perfect scheme fit.  That doesn't mean he's not a good pick.  

Exactly. Talking about him, Ballard mentioned that he'll need some time to learn how to play zone, so he'll probably be eased in to the field during the season.

However, what I absolutely love about him is that he is a natural press corner. Press man and/or press zone, the point is - and this is music to my ears - Eberflus wants to be more agressive. I think we played soo muc soft zone because 1. we didn't have the right corners to play press, 2 didn't have enough pass rush to get to the QB soon enough to eliminate the big play threat againts press. Now he'll have the tools to be more agressive, play closer to the receivers. and I love it!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Peterk2011 said:

Exactly. Talking about him, Ballard mentioned that he'll need some time to learn how to play zone, so he'll probably be eased in to the field during the season.

However, what I absolutely love about him is that he is a natural press corner. Press man and/or press zone, the point is - and this is music to my ears - Eberflus wants to be more agressive. I think we played soo muc soft zone because 1. we didn't have the right corners to play press, 2 didn't have enough pass rush to get to the QB soon enough to eliminate the big play threat againts press. Now he'll have the tools to be more agressive, play closer to the receivers. and I love it!

That's a good point.  thing is it's hard to have basically one guy who can play press man so it becomes very situational if on balance your defense is still a zone scheme.  I like the player, he'll learn which is why we get high character guys.  An important note here...It's always good to have a guy named Rock who looks jacked on your roster!

7 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

That's a good point.  thing is it's hard to have basically one guy who can play press man so it becomes very situational if on balance your defense is still a zone scheme.  I like the player, he'll learn which is why we get high character guys.  An important note here...It's always good to have a guy named Rock who looks jacked on your roster!

Desir can play press! So we now have the tools on both sides.

Not necessarily press man though. Press zone is also in the mix. Actually, I think we'll continue to be a zone heavy defense, but much more agressive than we were in 2018. And maybe add more cover3 to the mix, in which Hooker could truly blossom!

• Like 1

Just now, Peterk2011 said:

Desir can play press! So we now have the tools on both side.

Not necessarily press man though. Press zone is also in the mix. Actually, I think we'll continue to be a zone heavy defense, but much more agressive than we were in 2018. And maybe add more cover3 to the mix, in which Hooker could truly blossom!

I'm in!

• Like 1