Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trade out of first round

CR91

15 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Exactly... And we focus too often on the chart in this regard. We are adding an extra second round pick, when we are possibly and ideally getting the same player at 34 we were getting at 26. That's invaluable on a draft chart, in my opinion. I'm sure Ballard feels the same. We moved down 20 spots, added a 2020 second and had the 2nd pick of the draft as luxury from a similar move done last year. The value chart for today's 2nd pick says it's twice as high as everyone was saying it was last year. It gives us flexibility in this draft to maneuver without fear of missing something. That too is invaluable. 

I know I've made my point, but I'll make it again.  He SHOULD have done all of this AND gotten an extra pick this year or next.

Since he didn't, I'd describe the situation as Ballard getting all of the things you mentioned by SETTLING FOR the compensation he got.  Maybe he had no choice and no better offer, or WASH played hard ball.  Maybe all he could do was to settle, but I wouldn't describe it today as a great trade or great value.  That sounds like spin to me.

And in fairness, Ballard hasn't talked about getting fully compensated.  He's saying he likes getting the future second rounder.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I know I've made my point, but I'll make it again.  He SHOULD have done all of this AND gotten an extra pick this year or next.

Since he didn't, I'd describe the situation as Ballard getting all of the things you mentioned by SETTLING FOR the compensation he got.  Maybe he had no choice and no better offer, or WASH played hard ball.  Maybe all he could do was to settle, but I wouldn't describe it today as a great trade or great value.  That sounds like spin to me.

And in fairness, Ballard hasn't talked about getting fully compensated.  He's saying he likes getting the future second rounder.

In the end we all have to settle at some point.  Ballard could have settled to not make the trade and stick with the 26th pick.  Instead he settled for a 2nd round pick today and a 2nd round pick next year.

So we can decide whether we find this to be a good trade or not.  Some like it and some don't. 

You know what I'm curious about tonight? 

Whether a team moves up to the top of the 2nd for Drew Lock. I'm kinda surprised that he fell into the 2nd round (but that kinda thing seems to happens every other year with a QB or two) and wouldn't be surprised to see Denver do that. 

But then again with Miami getting Rosen, that might mean that there are less teams looking for a QB so less chance of a trade up? 

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I agree because how much did the Steelers give Denver to get LB Bush? they moved up 10 spots (giving Denver the 20th pick, their second rounder and a 2020 third-round pick)

1 minute ago, masnerj said:

You know what I'm curious about tonight? 

Whether a team moves up to the top of the 2nd for Drew Lock. I'm kinda surprised that he fell into the 2nd round (but that kinda thing seems to happens every other year with a QB or two) and wouldn't be surprised to see Denver do that. 

But then again with Miami getting Rosen, that might mean that there are less teams looking for a QB so less chance of a trade up? 

Denver passed on Lock at No.10 and No.20, maybe they are taking their chances with the much better 2020 QB class. Besides, Elway has Brock Osweiler nightmares from early round 2 QB drafting and Paxton Lynch nightmares of moving back into Round 1 for a QB. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I agree because how much did the Steelers give Denver to get LB Bush? they moved up 10 spots (giving Denver the 20th pick, their second rounder and a 2020 third-round pick)

The value at the top of the 1st was MUCH higher than the value at the end of the 1st, big difference, IMO. That is why the trade back was even entertained. 

It is apples and oranges, using number of spots as a metric in the 2 situations.

10 minutes ago, gspdx said:

In the end we all have to settle at some point.  Ballard could have settled to not make the trade and stick with the 26th pick.  Instead he settled for a 2nd round pick today and a 2nd round pick next year.

So we can decide whether we find this to be a good trade or not.  Some like it and some don't. 

How about this.  Has anybody said they wouldn't have made the trade if they were GM?

I'll say, I probably would have, since I did not like Sweat or Abram at all, or Tillery that much.  But I wouldn't say I got great value.  I would say I settled for less than market value to make the trade.  People do that a lot with business decisions.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The value at the top of the 1st was MUCH higher than the value at the end of the 1st, big difference, IMO. That is why the trade back was even entertained. 

It is apples and oranges, using number of spots as a metric in the 2 situations.

I agree. In any normal draft that would still be the case. But in this draft, that is ESPECIALLY the case. The difference between the 10th pick and 20th pick this year is probably MUCH greater in terms of talent than 10th vs 20th pick in any normal draft year. And thats not just me saying this, I'm sure many knowledgeable draft people (including our GM) would agree with that. 

Not a good comparison at all. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I gotcha but remember, Redskins were out of the 1st round totally. They did not have a 1st for Colts to have at all. Unlike with the STL and DEN trade which Denver had a 1st round pick to be had.

3 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

I gotcha but remember, Redskins were out of the 1st round totally. They did not have a 1st for Colts to have at all. Unlike with the STL and DEN trade which Denver had a 1st round pick to be had.

Personally, yeah, I would have loved to have an extra 4th at least this year. But hey, that is why I said it was a fair trade, one possibly not done from a position of advantage, it seems like that on the outside, at least compared to the Jets trade. It was good value, but not great value like the Jets trade.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

How about this.  Has anybody said they wouldn't have made the trade if they were GM?

I'll say, I probably would have.  But I wouldn't say I got great value.  I would say I settled for less than market value to make the trade.  People do that a lot with business decisions.

I think this is a fair assessment. 

Just now, a06cc said:

I’m proud of our GM. He wasn’t the only one looking to move out of round 1.  The draft is deep this year.  We again next may have 3 premium picks. 

Yeah, Seahawks actually lost value trading out with the Giants, according to this article:

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2019/4/25/18517296/2019-nfl-draft-seattle-seahawks-trade-pick-30-new-york-giants-gettleman-37-132-142

Just goes to show you, quantity on Day 2, IN THIS DRAFT, is akin to quality, according to other teams and GMs too. 

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I'll say, I probably would have.  But I wouldn't say I got great value.  I would say I settled for less than market value to make the trade.  People do that a lot given certain circumstances.

I can see your point there. 

But listening to what Ballard said about this years draft and that there board had 16-70 rated about the same I think he feels he can get virtually the same value out of the 3 second round picks today that he would have gotten if he kept the 26th pick.  Which makes a 2nd next year a good value.  Not great - but good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gspdx said:

I can see your point there. 

But listening to what Ballard said about this years draft and that there board had 16-70 rated about the same I think he feels he can get virtually the same value out of the 3 second round picks today that he would have gotten if he kept the 26th pick.  Which makes a 2nd next year a good value.  Not great - but good.

Here is an article that quantifies a little bit further, one of the good articles on StampedeBlue lately:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/4/26/18517416/did-chris-ballard-make-a-good-trade-av-value-massey-thaler-draft

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, stitches said:

The thing is... if his injury is just short-term issue and not long-term concern... we don't really need him to play right away and even more - even if he was healthy he might still not play to start the season. That's the reason I think I would be still good with Taylor unless his injury is long-term concern. 

Hush hush concerns about knee injuries always make me wonder about cartilage damage. 

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Yea I considered  watching and chatting but decided to wait til today. Ballard  will  prob trade back one more time at 34. Seems like the type of move he'd  make.

Yes....agreed.  I think he is looking to trade back again tonight from 34.  Should be interesting.  

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Anyone here be mad if we took Metcalf? I get hes not skilled in any particular trait, but t.y speed at his size would be scary. 

I absolutely would be.  I don't like Metcalf as a prospect at all

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

What would be good compensation to slide back 4-5 spots?

I don't like all the draft pick value charts because I think they're very subjective and don't really hold much weight.  Just to go with how it feels/if it passes the eye test, I'd be very happy to slide back 4 or 5 spots and gain a 4th this year or 3rd next year.  Getting both 2nd round picks from Denver would be a dream come true, but I don't think that happens

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why do you think we passed on him?

We passed on him, as did the other 25 teams because of his medical issue.    Our doctors did not clear him.    Nor did they on the other teams.     Washington's team doctors clearly did clear him.   But most teams didn't.  

That's why Sweat, a top-12 player,  fell to pick 26.

I read in the news that his heart condition was misdiagnosed. But OK. 

1 minute ago, masterlock said:

I read in the news that his heart condition was misdiagnosed. But OK. 

It was misdiagnosed according to some other doctors.   

But you saw how he fell all the way to 26.    Perhaps not every doctor is in agreement with this?

Ballard liked the kid.   (What's not to like?)    But I don't think he had a choice.    I think Irsay and the team doctors had the final vote.

1 hour ago, GwinnettColt said:

At face-value, Ballard could seem frustrating to fans as Polian did, sometimes.  When you analyze what he's doing, I think he's brilliant. 

I don't like the value we got in the trade, but I think Ballard definitely has the benefit of the doubt.  Also doesn't hurt to accumulate draft capital.

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

I'd love to see Ballard use some jedi mind tricks here and get a scenario where Indy could trade 34 to Miami for 48 and 116 or a future mid round pick, then Miami select Drew Lock at 34?

Or if Miami inquires about 34 for Drew Lock, he lets Elway know and Elway sends both 2nd round picks to Indy for 34?

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

Apples and oranges. 26 is not a premium pick by any means. Top 10 generally is, and the Steelers viewed it as such... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't like all the draft pick value charts because I think they're very subjective and don't really hold much weight.  Just to go with how it feels/if it passes the eye test, I'd be very happy to slide back 4 or 5 spots and gain a 4th this year or 3rd next year.  Getting both 2nd round picks from Denver would be a dream come true, but I don't think that happens

I could see it happening if Ballard makes pick 34 available & Oakland/Denver get into a bidding war to move up. But yeah, Denver giving up both 2nds from this year to move up a few spots is highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

It was misdiagnosed according to some other doctors.   

But you saw how he fell all the way to 26.    Perhaps not every doctor is in agreement with this?

Ballard liked the kid.   (What's not to like?)    But I don't think he had a choice.    I think Irsay and the team doctors had the final vote.

Don't mean to interject myself into your conversation, but the other factor mentioned by more than one source is Sweat has issues reacting to some styles of coaching.  Mortensen said it last night - that Sweat's coaches even cautioned 'you can't yell at this guy'.  So I think there were issues besides the medical.  I think there were serious concerns about his ability to be coached up, or maybe his maturity, or sensitivity, or whatever you'd call that.  

25 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Apples and oranges. 26 is not a premium pick by any means. Top 10 generally is, and the Steelers viewed it as such... 

Good post.    

You pay a premium for moving to the top 10.   You pay a premium when you’re moving a long distance up and asking the other team to move a long way back. 

Not as much when when you’re moving around in the 20’s.    It also friends on how many trade partners and options you have.   If you only have one partner, one option then you may not get your full asking price. 

4 minutes ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

Don't mean to interject myself into your conversation, but the other factor mentioned by more than one source is Sweat has issues reacting to some styles of coaching.  Mortensen said it last night - that Sweat's coaches even cautioned 'you can't yell at this guy'.  So I think there were issues besides the medical.  I think there were serious concerns about his ability to be coached up, or maybe his maturity, or sensitivity, or whatever you'd call that.  

I don’t yhink we have a yelling and screaming coaching staff.   We only had one screamer last year that I know of — the OL coach.   He did a good job and still got fired.

So I don’t think that Sweat doesn’t like to be yelled at was a factor.   Honestly, not at all.    I don’t think our team doctors and the owner would let us draft the kid. 

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I'll say, I probably would have, since I did not like Sweat or Abram at all, or Tillery that much.  But I wouldn't say I got great value.  I would say I settled for less than market value to make the trade.  People do that a lot with business decisions.

First report from ESPN Analytics is the Colts received 57 percent MORE VALUE than we gave up.   That does not factor in that part of that value comes next year, so the final number will likely be less.   But the big picture says we did well and got more value than we gave up.   The only question is how much and that won’t be known until next year.  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t yhink we have a yelling and screaming coaching staff.   We only had one screamer last year that I know of — the OL coach.   He did a good job and still got fired.

So I don’t think that Sweat doesn’t like to be yelled at was a factor.   Honestly, not at all.    I don’t think our team doctors and the owner would let us draft the kid. 

All coaches yell.    Especially position coaches

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

First report from ESPN Analytics is the Colts received 57 percent MORE VALUE than we gave up.   That does not factor in that part of that value comes next year, so the final number will likely be less.   But the big picture says we did well and got more value than we gave up.   The only question is how much and that won’t be known until next year.  

And isn't ESPN analytics the one that came up with the QBR, where rushing yards factor into QB performance?   LOL.

I don't know if they are transparent like the Jimmy Johnson value chart or if they simply leak out the parts of the analytics that fit their narratives, which it what analytics is mainly used for.  

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And isn't ESPN analytics the one that came up with the QBR, where rushing yards factor into QB performance?   LOL.

I don't know if they are transparent like the Jimmy Johnson value chart or if they simply leak out the parts of the analytics that fit their narratives, which it what analytics is mainly used for.  

Why shouldn't rushing yards factor in to a QBs performance?

• Thanks 1