Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Fan Cba Thread (Please Read And Comment Colts Fans)

Nadine

I say just keep it the way it is. It might make things more difficult for the mods anyways because post about Peyton and Luck will still be created in the Colts section by some users.

Thanks you always make thing easy and simple and I like that. haha

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you can make this a poll?

Obviously I vote for making a new forum for all things Peyton and his new team (or even all things regarding former Colts - Reggie, Dallas, etc).

I'm not all that concerned with where you situate it.

Call it "Peyton Manning & the Castaways"

Even with a new forum people will still post it in various places, and that will create more work for the mods.

You seem to understand what Superman is saying, but you do not understand what I am saying. :sigh:

A Peyton Manning forum would provide the ideal venue for potential hecklers to trash, vent and root against the Colts, especially those that do so because of what they feel was unjust treatment from the Colts to PM. Have we not already seen evidence of this?

If so, why in the world would you want to provide such to such people on any part of a Colts forum?

Would it make sense to form a Johnny Unitas section, right after the Colts traded him to SD (if internet technology permitted)?

Would it make sens to form a Jim Harbaugh section, right after the Colts traded him to Baltimore (if internet technology permitted)?

IMO, I think the appropriate place for such a forum would be with their respective new teams' fan websites.

And the appropriate place to do that would be part of the fan forum of the new team with which Peyton signs.

I understand you just fine. I insinuated previously that in my opinion your concerns are not rational. You are talking about this potential new "structure" in a similar manner to how people talk about a Mosque being built in their neighborhood. I find your opinion on this equal parts unsettling and amusing. What exactly do you think people are going to do there? Conspire to blow up the forum? If someone wants to vent, they will vent. If someone wants to cause trouble, the LAST place they will do it is in a place where people might actually agree with them. Troll psychology 101. The fact is, however, that myself (and many others like me - including Superman apparently) would be using the forum as well. Do you honestly think that I want to listen people railing against the Colts using Peyton as an excuse? Check my posting history, I don't tolerate it for a second. At least if it's in a special forum people such as yourself won't have to read it at all.

By the way, as I also stated quite clearly earlier, I have NO desire to join another teams site. I'm a Colts fan. I want to talk to OTHER Colts fans about these issues. Those are the same people (ie: Superman) that five minutes later will be talking to me in a different forum about an unrelated topic. Sometimes I even go to the Misc section and talk about the most arcane things imaginable. I have NO desire to provide a haven for people who hate the Colts. That is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. But if it's alright to talk about other league matters in the NFL General section, what conceivable problem could there be in consolidating them into a central location. It's a bookkeeping adjustment that doesn't affect the bottom line in the slightest, it just makes the financial statement easier to read. Why do you care so much?

Lastly, you forgot Bert Jones. But sadly in none of the cases that you are referring to was there anything to talk about. I remember, I was there for all three. The premise here is that Peyton Manning may well be contending for the Super Bowl for many years to come. If instead he retires before training camp, then merge the forums and be done with it. But I don't think that he's retiring anytime soon. This situation is unique, thus it begs for a unique solution. Once again, you seem to be fond of black and white. In your opinion do I need to burn my Manning jersey because he is no longer a Colt? That would be a little awkward considering that it hasn't even arrived in the mail yet. I'm a little old to wear them, so I never bothered buying one, but this "unique" situation prompted me to get one to mount on my wall. I'm not in the mood to dismiss him as you appear to be. I suspect that a significant majority of the site would agree with me.

Perhaps you're not understanding that in my mind the primary purpose of the thread is so that - for example - on Sept 21st, 2012 we can have some centralized place to discuss how Peyton played against _______ last week, and how his arm looked, and what the ______ need to do to improve their chances. Or so on May 1st, 2013, we can discuss what LT the ______ might draft because it was an obvious problem last year. It would be nice to have all those threads in one place, rather than mixed in with two years worth of trivia about Randy Moss's attitude, or how the Saints are coping with their penalties from the bounty controversy.

I didn't really think about that. But honestly, I think that would be just fine in the NFL thread once he signs. And just like any other thread, as it stays relevant, people will post on it. That might wind up with Manning talk taking over the NFL section, and in that case, I could see the benefit of having a Manning section.

Wishing that the negativity didn't exist is fine and dandy, but it doesn't help. Attempting to blot it out by force will only increase it (this isn't China). My opinion is that creating a special place for Peyton will in fact placate some of those who are feeling hurt. It's not a secret society plotting to take over the team, it's just a place for people to share a common interest and make friends.

It's not negativity that I'm talking about. It's silliness. But no big. It will die down.

Why do you care so much?

I was asked for my opinion, and I provided it. I do not think the Colts fan forum should provide any special place for players who are a part of another team.

In your opinion do I need to burn my Manning jersey because he is no longer a Colt?

What you do with your property is your business, as long as it does not violate any local or national law. I have no opinion what you should do with your property.

I understand you just fine. I insinuated previously that in my opinion your concerns are not rational. You are talking about this potential new "structure" in a similar manner to how people talk about a Mosque being built in their neighborhood. I find your opinion on this equal parts unsettling and amusing. What exactly do you think people are going to do there? Conspire to blow up the forum? If someone wants to vent, they will vent. If someone wants to cause trouble, the LAST place they will do it is in a place where people might actually agree with them. Troll psychology 101. The fact is, however, that myself (and many others like me - including Superman apparently) would be using the forum as well. Do you honestly think that I want to listen people railing against the Colts using Peyton as an excuse? Check my posting history, I don't tolerate it for a second. At least if it's in a special forum people such as yourself won't have to read it at all.

By the way, as I also stated quite clearly earlier, I have NO desire to join another teams site. I'm a Colts fan. I want to talk to OTHER Colts fans about these issues. Those are the same people (ie: Superman) that five minutes later will be talking to me in a different forum about an unrelated topic. Sometimes I even go to the Misc section and talk about the most arcane things imaginable. I have NO desire to provide a haven for people who hate the Colts. That is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand. But if it's alright to talk about other league matters in the NFL General section, what conceivable problem could there be in consolidating them into a central location. It's a bookkeeping adjustment that doesn't affect the bottom line in the slightest, it just makes the financial statement easier to read. Why do you care so much?

Lastly, you forgot Bert Jones. But sadly in none of the cases that you are referring to was there anything to talk about. I remember, I was there for all three. The premise here is that Peyton Manning may well be contending for the Super Bowl for many years to come. If instead he retires before training camp, then merge the forums and be done with it. But I don't think that he's retiring anytime soon. This situation is unique, thus it begs for a unique solution. Once again, you seem to be fond of black and white. In your opinion do I need to burn my Manning jersey because he is no longer a Colt? That would be a little awkward considering that it hasn't even arrived in the mail yet. I'm a little old to wear them, so I never bothered buying one, but this "unique" situation prompted me to get one to mount on my wall. I'm not in the mood to dismiss him as you appear to be. I suspect that a significant majority of the site would agree with me.

I've seen a poll or thread or two on here about people's favourite Colt. Many fans put players not called Manning in there. Freeney scored quite highly if I remember. So if he is cut, will he get his own 'section' as well? This is just an example....

No he won't.

We are setting a precedent for Manning, and that is unfair to those who won't get the same preferential treatment that Peyton 'fans' get.

We need to move on, and leaving a forum shrine behind is just prolonging the agony..

I was asked for my opinion, and I provided it. I do not think the Colts fan forum should provide any special place for players who are a part of another team.

What you do with your property is your business, as long as it does not violate any local or national law. I have no opinion what you should do with your property.

:lol: OK, good enough.

Just curious, are you an engineer by any chance?

I've seen a poll or thread or two on here about people's favourite Colt. Many fans put players not called Manning in there. Freeney scored quite highly if I remember. So if he is cut, will he get his own 'section' as well? This is just an example....

No he won't.

We are setting a precedent for Manning, and that is unfair to those who won't get the same preferential treatment that Peyton 'fans' get.

We need to move on, and leaving a forum shrine behind is just prolonging the agony..

In theory your point makes perfect sense, but Quarterbacks are different than any other position players, and Manning is different than any other QB. I'm not sure what polls you are referring to, but I don't recall seeing a single post in which someone referred to "looking forward to seeing where Freeney (or Mathis, or Clark, etc) goes because that will be my new second favorite team. I've seen it repeatedly with regards to Manning, from many of the most prolific and well respected members of this forum. I think that the Manning situation is completely deserving of special treatment, and this sets no relevant precedence.

And shrines presume that something is dead and buried. If Peyton were retired there would be nothing to talk about. It's not a memorial, it's strictly for current events. As I've said, when he retires, merge and move on.

And actually in going back and forth rapidly about the evils of Manning worship, I plum forgot that my original suggestion to Maureen was alternatively for an "X-Colts" forum, because there are going to be so freaking many of them out there. I can't say that I felt the urge when (for instance) Bob Sanders was released, but when EVERBODY is released...............................

I disagree re your point on the precedent, and also on your dissection of my playful metaphor, but I appreciate and understand your stance...

:) Shrine, dead and buried, dissection. Yikes. CSI: Indianapolis

I have to run out, and was going to grab a bite to eat in the process. May have to rethink that.

My opinion:

People are getting upset about Peyton threads being in the Colts section. There are threads that are posted in that section, for instance the cap (sorry frog just using it as an example as it is a well known thread) that I have no interest in so I don't go in it.

But that has not been the case in regards to a lot of threads posted on here. Some people are upset and some people are ready to move on. Instead of letting someone have their opinion there has been bashing and arguing back and forth trying to tell others they are wrong and it has not made this place a very enjoyable board to be.

I do not get on here to argue. You may persuade me to your viewpoint with a clear well thought out reply on an angle I had not thought of before, but even if you don't I still have a right to my opinion and respect yours but I don't have to agree.

Maureen has offered an alternative to a problem I think could be resolved with a little more courtesy toward our fellow Colts fans We are behind keyboards, but we are all people. If I won't say it to your face, I won't say it on here.

It doesn't matter to me either way. I just hope either way (even if it is just this thread and people calmly discussing their viewpoints) helps calm some of the chaos.

The simple solution is to move any threads centered on Manning, Clark or any other Colt recently discarded to the NFL section so that those crying about some Colts fans still liking Peyton Manning won't have to read it in the main forum. I guess they find it so offensive that some like the guy kept the Colts in Indy or that some are still fond of him after 13 years of service. So all efforts need to be made not to offend those.

My opinion:

People are getting upset about Peyton threads being in the Colts section. There are threads that are posted in that section, for instance the cap (sorry frog just using it as an example as it is a well known thread) that I have no interest in so I don't go in it.

No problem.

At times, I think it is rather dry as well.

The simple solution is to move any threads centered on Manning, Clark or any other Colt recently discarded to the NFL section so that those crying about some Colts fans still liking Peyton Manning won't have to read it in the main forum. I guess they find it so offensive that some like the guy kept the Colts in Indy or that some are still fond of him after 13 years of service. So all efforts need to be made not to offend those.

It's the sneaky little posts like this that cause more harm and bickering on here than most of the other 'head on' differences of opinion.

No problem.

At times, I think it is rather dry as well.

:haha: I don't know . . . never been in it. :)

I just have no interest in money, never balanced a checkbook in my life, and have no head for figures. (Shhhh . . . don't tell my bank I trust them to balance my account because I don't check it. )

I would love to see the angst begin to calm, and I too see a separate section as a possible solution...or at least a help. I don't see it as a division and here is why. I believe many will, after jumping back and forth, feel more at home with one place or the other and it may help them with what their true wants are.

The last thing I would want is any fan to give up on their favorite player because of pressure from other fans. I truly think that time in a separate section with like minded fans would possibly help sort out feelings. Just a thought.

If you break up with a girlfriend or boyfriend, regardless of your feelings about it, probably not a good idea to include them all the time in activites with your new mate, even if everyone seems ok with it. It feels odd.

If people want to praise or wax lyrical about Peyton, they should either go to his own 'Peyton Manning' website / forum or NFL.com etc. Then when he picks his team, join up to one of those forums.

This is a Colts Forum for Colts fans, and it should stay that way.

It's fairly certain that when it all is said and done Peyton will sign a one day contract with the Colts to announce his retirement so why not just "leave the porch light on" so when it happens, the welcome mat will be out already.

It's fairly certain that when it all is said and done Peyton will sign a one day contract with the Colts to announce his retirement so why not just "leave the porch light on" so when it happens, the welcome mat will be out already.

I get that.

Can I have a Marvin Appreciation Section then? Biggest Busts of Indy? Mayflower Celebration? Polian is God Rememberance etc...

But OK, Peyton is our legacy. I give in....

Seriously, I don't mind now. Looks like the 'ayes' have it...

I think if the mods just gave 2 users the boot we wouldn't have a problem anymore on where to post Peyton stuff.

Remember people just cause their on a colts forum claiming to be a colts fan, doesn't mean theyre actually a colts fan in real life.

They could just be a hater of the ManningS...

However, I trust the mods to be "real" colts fans so I say let them vote on it. And that I could live with. I mean after all, theyre the ones in charge with the upkeep of it.

I think if the mods just gave 2 users the boot we wouldn't have a problem anymore on where to post Peyton stuff.

Remember people just cause their on a colts forum claiming to be a colts fan, doesn't mean theyre actually a colts fan in real life.

They could just be a hater of the ManningS...

However, I trust the mods to be "real" colts fans so I say let them vote on it. And that I could live with. I mean after all, theyre the ones in charge with the upkeep of it.

Offering to give yourself the boot? Respect sir.

I guess I see it differently than you.

I think there is more long term harm by creating a Peyton forum separate and distinct from the NFL General forum. It would create an alternative universe where Peyton fans can gather to trash every loss our new team suffers, with "I told you so" type comments. And this will continue until we win a SB again.

I don't think it is a good idea to reinforce the idea that there is more than one Colts team. We do not need to provide the potential hecklers with a ready-made avenue to vent. We cannot prevent them from venting. But I think a better place for them to do so would be in the NFL General section.

You raise a very good point

I disagree, one place for all discussions of a former Colt that will continue to be discussed for years is a good idea. I don't see a "chasm" just a difference of opinions which will get less as time passes

"All Things Manning" is a great idea, we could even talk about Eli there.....

i think frog might be right

The issue I've seen so far is fans logging in to take shots at other fans regarding manning. We need less of that rather than more.

And now that I think about it, we should all be able to comment to the Manning threads rather than feeling we need to stay away from a particular forum because our thoughts on Peyton's release don't jive with others.

In other words, it takes the onus off of people to mind what they post and how they speak to each other.

The issue I've seen so far is fans logging in to take shots at other fans regarding manning. We need less of that rather than more.

And now that I think about it, we should all be able to comment to the Manning threads rather than feeling we need to stay away from a particular forum because our thoughts on Peyton's release don't jive with others.

In other words, it takes the onus off of people to mind what they post and how they speak to each other.

Well said Frog and Maureen. So strong 'Manning based' threads should be raised in the General section, whether now, or once he signs with the Bronc....sorry, a new team?

People who want to bicker are going to do so wherever they want, without regard for the forum it's designed for. There's going to be crosstalk between the Colts forum and any other one, with topics like "If we had kept Manning, we'd be..." or whatever, posted in the Colts forum.

This is the heart of the issue. And I think you are likely correct, it will not stop the bickering but may well create more difficulty for moderators

OK, so Frog is talking about the people who intend to root against the Colts. That's fine, but then we are talking about apples and oranges. in my mind the primary purpose of the thread is so that - for example - on Sept 21st, 2012 we can have some centralized place to discuss how Peyton played against _______ last week, and how his arm looked, and what the ______ need to do to improve their chances.

Interesting. The whole reason for a forum is if there is enough to support it. If the interest is in the Player and having a centralized place to discuss.......that makes sense.

If it becomes a fan bashing fans or fans bashing the "New" colts, then that would conflict with the entire purpose of these boards. This is a board about the Colts.

We definitely do not want to do anything that would encourage MORE fighting between fans

I say just keep it the way it is. It might make things more difficult for the mods anyways because post about Peyton and Luck will still be created in the Colts section by some users.

We def do NOT want more housekeeping. People already get angry enough when we move their threads. I DO NOT want more of this

My opinion:

But that has not been the case in regards to a lot of threads posted on here. Some people are upset and some people are ready to move on. Instead of letting someone have their opinion there has been bashing and arguing back and forth trying to tell others they are wrong and it has not made this place a very enjoyable board to be.

I do not get on here to argue. You may persuade me to your viewpoint with a clear well thought out reply on an angle I had not thought of before, but even if you don't I still have a right to my opinion and respect yours but I don't have to agree.

Maureen has offered an alternative to a problem I think could be resolved with a little more courtesy toward our fellow Colts fans We are behind keyboards, but we are all people. If I won't say it to your face, I won't say it on here.

It doesn't matter to me either way. I just hope either way (even if it is just this thread and people calmly discussing their viewpoints) helps calm some of the chaos.

You are absolutely correct. civility and courtesy and respect are the answer.

And we are all supposed to post that way anyway.

I would love to see the angst begin to calm, and I too see a separate section as a possible solution...or at least a help. I don't see it as a division and here is why. I believe many will, after jumping back and forth, feel more at home with one place or the other and it may help them with what their true wants are.

The last thing I would want is any fan to give up on their favorite player because of pressure from other fans. I truly think that time in a separate section with like minded fans would possibly help sort out feelings. Just a thought.

If you break up with a girlfriend or boyfriend, regardless of your feelings about it, probably not a good idea to include them all the time in activites with your new mate, even if everyone seems ok with it. It feels odd.

Interesting

You mean we become one community with different neighborhoods?

Since we are merging the colts direct site with this one, I have at times thought that maybe there could be a "sarcasm free zone" here. not everybody is a fan of that and I've wondered if some do not feel welcome because their skin is not thick enough

Some forums have a 'smack talk' forum. We don't allow smack talk but, so we don't do that.

We do though have the MISC section and that actually tends to be pretty civil and pleasant

I have to admit, I like the idea of the porch lite being on :)

I get that.

Can I have a Marvin Appreciation Section then? Biggest Busts of Indy? Mayflower Celebration? Polian is God Rememberance etc...

But OK, Peyton is our legacy. I give in....

Seriously, I don't mind now. Looks like the 'ayes' have it...

I think the point is that PM is different than the other examples, I think you know that he took the game and the team to a higher level than anyone else could have imagined. It's unlikely anyone could have done so much with what he had.

Like I said earlier if someone wants to bash someone else, they can do it anywhere so why would this be different? It was your idea so it's your call but I don't see these issues being a problem.