Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Le'Raven Clark

CurBeatElite

He was a project pick when we drafted him 3 drafts ago.  Ballard said late this season or early this off-season that Clark is at a 'prove-it' point in his career.  He did start 4 games last year, and I thought he did pretty well.

Here's Clark's old draft profile:  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/leraven-clark?id=2555202

SOURCES TELL US

"He's going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director

Here's a pretty cool article about Clark:

http://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/recorder_headlines/article_719bc310-3068-11e9-a5a6-dfe102b60989.html

I know a lot of folks (myself included) think we need to address OL depth in this draft.

I have not yet given up on Clark.  I think all the physical tools are there for him.  Texas Tech runs a very unique offense and is totally different than the NFL, so it was expected for him to have some sort of a learning and development curve at this level.

Does anyone think he could be the answer at RT next season (if we move Smith back inside to his natural position of RG)?  Or is Clark a bust, or a career back-up?

I would sure like to see him reach his potential and have a break-out year for us.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think the oline stays exactly like it is. We just signed Glowinski at RG to a pretty big deal.

I personally thought Glowinski did a nice job last year but was the weak link of the OL (when the OL was healthy, when Kelly was out, different story).  

I know Reich, Ballard, etc. always want to improve anywhere/anyway we can.  

You're probably right, at least going into the season, that our OL depth chart will be the same as last year.  

That said, if Clark takes a big leap this offseason, I'd love to see Glowinski move to backup and Smith move back inside to RG.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

Having Mudd as another voice might help the Colts decide some OLine personnel decisions. 

Continuity is important but having depth  with backups is a need, considering the beginning of last year.

I keep forgetting Mudd is back in the building.

Now if we could get Moore. chainsmoking on the sidelines, we'd be set.

• Like 2

I’m not so quick to write Clark off. Motivation, learning curve or just not quite talented enough to become a starting LT in this league are all possibilities but overcoming the Texas Tech scheme into an NFL scheme just might be a lot of overcoming. He has played some and at times he looked like the part and at other times looked very slow but reps and confidence are needed for success. If Mudd can build him up and likes him, he will succeed, here or somewhere next year. It would be nice if we could get a solid enough back up behind AC and Smith if needed for this season if not beyond. If Mudd doesn’t like him, he won’t be here to start the season. 

• Like 1

No way to tell really.  We'll see if he makes it through TC and the preseason.  

If his problem has been not having pro-style background and training, then that dust up over the oline coach should play to Clark's benefit.  I think the guy we fired was viewed as more of a motivator than a teacher, and maybe Clark has always needed a bit more teaching than what he's received and will get it going forward.

4 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

He was a project pick when we drafted him 3 drafts ago.  Ballard said late this season or early this off-season that Clark is at a 'prove-it' point in his career.  He did start 4 games last year, and I thought he did pretty well.

Here's Clark's old draft profile:  http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/leraven-clark?id=2555202

SOURCES TELL US

"He's going to end up being big time in our league. He's got elite foot quickness, he's long and he's smart. He'll keep getting better once he gets to a pro offense and away from that stuff Texas Tech does and he'll become one of the top five tackles in our league." -- NFC personnel director

Here's a pretty cool article about Clark:

http://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/recorder_headlines/article_719bc310-3068-11e9-a5a6-dfe102b60989.html

I know a lot of folks (myself included) think we need to address OL depth in this draft.

I have not yet given up on Clark.  I think all the physical tools are there for him.  Texas Tech runs a very unique offense and is totally different than the NFL, so it was expected for him to have some sort of a learning and development curve at this level.

Does anyone think he could be the answer at RT next season (if we move Smith back inside to his natural position of RG)?  Or is Clark a bust, or a career back-up?

I would sure like to see him reach his potential and have a break-out year for us.

You lost me at bust. Garbage mentality.

I’m not seeing the same thing some of you are.  I didn’t think he was that good coming out of college.  Just about all of his highlights showed what would be called holding in the NFL.  Definitely a project based on measurable potential but it didn’t translate as far as I could tell. 

He improved somewhat, a lot of us thought he was the future RT with LT possibilities.  But then he seemed to really regress. I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t make the team this year.  

I don’t see Clark ever being a starter, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

That said, I thought Clark had his best year last year.   He’s a serviceable backup.    I don’t see him as a right tackle, because I’m not sure he blocks well enough in the run game.   

I’m hopeful he gets even better with our new OL coaches.   Many offensive lineman have a long history of improving slowly but steadily.   I remain hopeful we can bring even more out of Clark this year.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t see Clark ever being a starter, but I’d love to be proven wrong.

That said, I thought Clark had his best year last year.   He’s a serviceable backup.    I don’t see him as a right tackle, because I’m not sure he blocks well enough in the run game.   

I’m hopeful he gets even better with our new OL coaches.   Many offensive lineman have a long history of improving slowly but steadily.   I remain hopeful we can bring even more out of Clark this year.  

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of Clark.  As I feel the same, I too hope to be proven incorrect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1