Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stitches' Final Mock Draft

This could very well be a Ballard type of draft with no WRs drafted. However, this would improve the defensive side of our team considerably. Just have to hope that TY and Funchess get it done for us along with our TEs and RBs. 

To me, I do think the CB position is a position we can wait for Day 3 and get the WR on Day 2 instead, given the system we run. That is the only thing I would like to change. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This could very well be a Ballard type of draft with no WRs drafted. However, this would improve the defensive side of our team considerably. Just have to hope that TY and Funchess get it done for us along with our TEs and RBs. 

To me, I do think the CB position is a position we can wait for Day 3 and get the WR on Day 2 instead, given the system we run. That is the only thing I would like to change. 

Yeah... I've been preaching "just listen to Ballard, he doesn't lie" and I had to be honest with myself about the total lack of interest the Colts have shown in WRs(while I do want WR in the first 2 days) and Ballard's own words that lead me to believe he doesn't see WR as the need that fans think it is. Maybe I'm mis-reading him, but... oh well... I decided to go with it in this mock. 

• Like 1

This is a strong mock, IMO. 

I don't think the Colts lack of apparent interest in WRs means they won't draft one, but I don't think they'll force it out of a desire to fill a perceived need. I still like a lot of the Day 2 guys, but I'm not of the opinion that if they don't get one, it's the end of the world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

This is a strong mock, IMO. 

I don't think the Colts lack of apparent interest in WRs means they won't draft one, but I don't think they'll force it out of a desire to fill a perceived need. I still like a lot of the Day 2 guys, but I'm not of the opinion that if they don't get one, it's the end of the world.

Yep... I don't think it will be the end of the world either, but I really do like the value of WRs int he 2nd-3d rounds... and hell even at the end of the 1st for some of them.

Also, that Jeremiah tweet about next year's WR class reminded me that teams do look forward to future drafts if there are pronounced strengths of those coming drafts. And WR is incredibly stacked next year. Maybe he's decided to let the young guys and Funchess show what they can do and if none of them seem like the answer going forward he knows next year's draft is VERY good at the position too. 

I like it.

I am pulling for us to take another solid OG or OT despite the mutiny most fans would have in doing so. Love McGary. Especially on day 2.

Also, so many folks (on our board, in the media, etc. nobody in particular) keep harping on LT vs RT and athleticism, etc.

But in today's NFL, your LT and RT would be best served to be interchangeable skill-wise.

Way too many teams now have great pass-rushers rushing from the left side of the defensive formation. That RT needs to be athletic just like the LT historically had to be.

All I am getting at is that if a guy is good enough to play RT today then he should be good enough to play LT in many cases as well. And for what it is worth I agree with you 100% that McGary can do both.

Nice mock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite mocks yet! Great work Sitches!! As is mentioned above, I do have concerns over not taking a WR, but I think we should have enough at the position in Hilton, Funchess and hopefully Cain being as good as he was that it should carry us into being able to wait until next year to draft a WR, or even the following year and trying to grab Purdue's Rondale Moore.

If this happened I wouldn't appreciate how few d linemen we picked. I also wouldn't like that we picked a OT at #34, but I'd feel much better knowing that it's Kaleb McGary. If I'm not mistaken, he's usually mocked in the first round, so we'd be getting some really good value picking him there.

I'd also be very excited at the Jerry Tillery pick. I like him.

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

1. #26 Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame... I've been mocking him to the Colts since I was doing my mock off-seasons. I really do think he's a great fit for our defense and he brings us something we don't really have on the roster - explosive, traitsy and technical interior rusher, who causes disruption in the passing game. He's got the length, he's got the burst off the snap, he's got powerful and active hands. As long as Ballard OKs him to the Colts, IMO there is a real chance he will be the best player on the board where the Colts are picking. 

2. #34 Kaleb McGary, OT, Washington... I've documented the Colts connections to McGary here and I think if they really like him as much as it seems, there is a distinct possibility that they will draft him with the thought of using him as a swing tackle this year and transitioning him to LT over the next year if we cannot re-sign AC. I know you will say he's a RT and that's correct... for now, but IMO he has the athleticism to do well on the left side. He tested like an elite athlete at the position at the combine and he does show great movement and solid pass-set. It will take time for his transition to the left side to be complete and the good thing is... he does have the time. 

2. #59 Amani Hooker, S, Iowa - perfect zone safety with versatility... he can play in the slot, he can play in the box, he can play in 2-deep safeties looks. He sees plays as they develop, very disciplined in zone while keeping eyes on the QB. Very effortless mover and great change of direction quickness. He is a playmaker. Had 4 INT, 7PDs, 3.5 TFL and 1 sack over the last season. Ballard loves himself playmakers... also... Hooker and Hooker... tell me that ain't a duo for the ages? :D 

3. #89 JoeJuan Williams, CB, Vanderbilt - the only reason he's here is because of his poor 40 time. IMO he has great tape and is a great fit in our Tampa 2 system. Huge corner,  very physical at the LOS and can disrupt the releases of WRs on the outside, great awareness and eye discipline. Great tackler, great fighting for balls in the air... those are all things that are great fits for our system.

4. #129 Maxx Crosby, DE, Eastern Michigan - we miss on Burns in the 1st round so we go with the discount version in the 4th. Very productive small school DE with traits. Great athleticism and bend... needs to add strength in the run game. Will be developmental prospect and designated pass-rusher on passing downs early in his career with the hope of developing him over the next couple of years.

4. #135 Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison The Colts have shown interest in him already. He is one of the corners with the best ball skills in the draft. 18 interceptions and 63(!!!!!!!!) passes defensed during his career are no joke. He tracks the ball and runs routes better than most WRs he was matched against. Great playmaker again ... returned 6 of his 18 INT for TDs. Shows great hips and quickness. Projects as a slot at the next level. He's one of the most competitive DBs in the draft. 

5. #164 Drue Tranquill, LB, Notre Dame - we continue to build our LB core with one of my favorite late round prospects. Has 2 ACLs and that's the reason he falls here. Really fun player on tape though... flies to the ball, has good coverage skills... also a good blitzer thanks to high level athleticism and short area quickness. 

6. #199 Donald Parham, TE, Stetson - raw but intriguing TE prospect. He's huge(6'9) and has incredible movement skills for his size. He's developmental prospect for next year when all 3 of our TEs hit free agency. 

7. #240 Alex Bars, G, Notre Dame... I swear I'm not a Notre Dame fan! Just those guys keep falling to picks I cannot ignore them at. Solid guard prospect, used to back up Quenton. Might continue to do that and be safety valve in case of injuries. He himself had a serious injury this last season and this might be a reason he fell to this spot. He's supposed to be ready by the start of the season. 

Thoughts? Comments? 

One of my FAVORITE and most realistic mocks I've seen!

Well done!    Bravo!

I guess my only question mark would be this...      Two cornerbacks?

Don't get me wrong....   from my readings,  they're two of my favorites!  

I'm just not sure the Colts think we need to draft two.    But I'd be fine if we did.

Oh,  and one other thing....      No wide receiver?

Really nicely done!     :thmup:

:colts:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Maybe he's decided to let the young guys and Funchess show what they can do and if none of them seem like the answer going forward he knows next year's draft is VERY good at the position too. 

I'm not a big fan of that strategy, but that's because I don't like the young guys (besides Cain, who I wouldn't rely on at this point) and Funchess is on a one year deal. I like several guys in this year's draft, I wouldn't pass on them because I might have a chance at a guy next year. Especially not when our WR room is basically TY and an assortment of question marks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

I like it.

I am pulling for us to take another solid OG or OT despite the mutiny most fans would have in doing so. Love McGary. Especially on day 2.

Also, so many folks (on our board, in the media, etc. nobody in particular) keep harping on LT vs RT and athleticism, etc.

But in today's NFL, your LT and RT would be best served to be interchangeable skill-wise.

Way too many teams now have great pass-rushers rushing from the left side of the defensive formation. That RT needs to be athletic just like the LT historically had to be.

All I am getting at is that if a guy is good enough to play RT today then he should be good enough to play LT in many cases as well. And for what it is worth I agree with you 100% that McGary can do both.

Nice mock.

Yeah. Nowadays RT and LT have about the same importance in the league. You can argue RTs actually see more elite pass-rushers than LTs. My point was more about training him to move to the left side, not because I think it's harder, but because several ex-NFL linemen have stated that it takes time to rework your footwork and hand strikes from one side to the other. I think Geoff Schwartz has stated that it probably takes 3-4 months to get used to it if you haven't done it before. That's why I said good thing that there is no rush with him and he can actually work on it for a full season + an off-season to boot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One of my FAVORITE and most realistic mocks I've seen!

Well done!    Bravo!

I guess my only question mark would be this...      Two cornerbacks?

Don't get me wrong....   from my readings,  they're two of my favorites!  

I'm just not sure the Colts think we need to draft two.    But I'd be fine if we did.

Really nicely done!     :thmup:

:colts:

Thanks...

about your corners question - as smarter people than me have said - in today's NFL you can never have enough good corners. Also... teams nowadays are in sub-package(5+ DBs) in over 70% of the snaps and the trend is for more and more DBs to be involved in those snaps so you will need more of them in the future. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stitches said:

Thanks...

about your corners question - as smarter people than me have said - in today's NFL you can never have enough good corners. Also... teams nowadays are in sub-package(5+ DBs) in over 70% of the snaps and the trend is for more and more DBs to be involved in those snaps so you will need more of them in the future. 

Oh,  and one other thing.....      no wide receiver?

Great mock! I like Tillery and McGary makes sense with the connections. I'm not extremely high on Hooker vs other safeties based on our current personnel, but I wouldn't be mad. I'm lukewarm on Joejuan, but he'd be a fit. I love Maxx Crisby, especially where you have him mocked.

My coworker I'm eating lunch with right now played with Jimmy Moreland at JMU and has been telling me he'll be a steal for whoever's takes him. I showed him the mock and he was amped! He seems to very much be a Ballard type pick. Really fast, insane ball skills, and is REALLY good on ST (returns and blocking kicks).

• Thanks 1

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Oh,  and one other thing.....      no wide receiver?

Like I said above - I love the value of WR on day 2 and even on day 1 for specific players... I just decided to trust what Ballard is saying and doing(no official visits or private workouts for any WR). I think he's telling us WR is not high on his priority list. 

I guess this doesn't mean he won't draft one, but I just decided to not draft one in this mock because of the above. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not a big fan of that strategy, but that's because I don't like the young guys (besides Cain, who I wouldn't rely on at this point) and Funchess is on a one year deal. I like several guys in this year's draft, I wouldn't pass on them because I might have a chance at a guy next year. Especially not when our WR room is basically TY and an assortment of question marks.

FWIW, most of us weren’t fans of Ballard passing on CBS in last year’s draft because of all the Q’s there, but it didn’t end up being the weakness many anticipated.  They weren’t perfect, but their quality of play improved by leaps and bounds over 2017, and continued to improve all year.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised that the WRs do something similar this coming year.

37 minutes ago, schwamm said:

FWIW, most of us weren’t fans of Ballard passing on CBS in last year’s draft because of all the Q’s there, but it didn’t end up being the weakness many anticipated.  They weren’t perfect, but their quality of play improved by leaps and bounds over 2017, and continued to improve all year.  I wouldn’t be at all surprised that the WRs do something similar this coming year.

Ballard even had a comment in his predraft presser about being patient with young players and letting them develop before judging them and casting them aside. My thoughts immediately went to our WR group. Ballard might stick with what he has and trust the process of development from his coaching staff, unless something falls into his lap this weekend. He wont force it. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Like I said above - I love the value of WR on day 2 and even on day 1 for specific players... I just decided to trust what Ballard is saying and doing(no official visits or private workouts for any WR). I think he's telling us WR is not high on his priority list. 

I guess this doesn't mean he won't draft one, but I just decided to not draft one in this mock because of the above. 

love the mock except for 2xCB, and the choice of CBs. i really like Jordan Brown in the later rounds. love barrs and i'd bet he's a starter year two for someone, and long term stud if he can stay healthy. Drue will be a ST's monster at minimum, and could be more. Parham has interested me a bunch in the many simulations i've done. don't know a lot about the DE but will check him out. just getting Tillery is enough to make me happy.

on WR. while Ballard hasn't said much about WR, Reich said plenty about AJ Brown at the combine, and the Colts also had a meeting with him. Doubt they get him, but there has been talks, and also buzz. Several of the mocks on Mock Mondays had AJB as the first pick.

i honestly don't care right now. they will draft who they draft and some will like it, and some won't. i just want Ws.

• Thanks 1