Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Self Serving Prediction Thread

Every year I put a lot of thought into what I would do if I was GM, and most years I get some of it right.  I always want to document my final mock, in case I do the impossible and get a huge chunk right.  The beauty of creating a thread today is that no one will read it because there’s too much other stuff to pay attention to on Day 1 of the draft.  However, if I get a lot right I can resurrect the thread and say, “See, I knew it all ahead of time!”  But, more likely, I can allow the thread to fade into obscurity, taking the fact that I did terribly with it.  If anyone else wants to document their thoughts on this thread, feel free…however, as I said, no one will read this.  Here goes:

1) Jeffery Simons, DT, Miss. St.  Would love Tillery, but I don’t expect him to make it through the gauntlet of Tenn., Sea., and Phi.  Dark horse could be Ferrell, if he makes it through.

2) Chase Winovich, DE, Michigan.  Ballard will love his winning locker room personality, non-stop motor, and high-2nd round athleticism.  I’d love to have a young pass-rusher opposite Turay going into the future (I consider Lewis mostly an undertackle).  Consolation prizes: Sean Bunting (who I think will be gone before our next pick) or Jonathan Abram.

2) Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame.  CB depth is the next need for me, because I love our top 3 CBs, but I’m not a big fan of the depth after that.  Fortunately, this should be a good place to draft one, as I also like Bunting, Layne, Oruwariye, and David Long (very under-rated IMO).

3) Kahale Warring, TE, San Diego St.  He’s flying up boards, so I don’t know if he’s available here.  I was late to warming to TE as a need, but I’m there now.  If Warring’s gone, I’m waiting a round and targeting Drew Sample, and going with a WR, S, or OL in the 3rd, probably.

4) Will Harris, S, Boston College.  I’m not sold on S as a major need, as I’m high on Farley and (especially) Odum as back-ups.  However, I would like another talented guy as a possible heir apparent at SS.  Love the depth of this draft at S, and there’s other guys I’d target later if Harris were gone.

4) Trey Pipkens, OT, Sioux Falls.  My favorite of the mid-round OTs.  He’s got great feet and showcased really good mobility at the Combine.  Needs to build strength badly, but there’s a big jump from a small school Strength and Conditioning program to the pros, and these guys are pretty successful building strength. 

5) Ulysees Gilbert, LB, Akron.  Totally our type of gap-shooting tackle machine who can move in space.  Should develop into a good coverage guy.  No great need at LB, but I’d like to start laddering them, since we should have four second-year guys make the team this year.

6) Tanner Farmer, OG/C, Nebraska.  Granted he was the AD at Nebraska at the time, but Dave Rimington himself said that Farmer has the chops to be a long-time starter in the NFL at center.  He’s extremely strong (39 bench reps with an injured pec), and his Pro Day also proved his mobility (5.00 forty at 315 lbs).  He’s also the aggressive type that we favor who likes to bury/embarrass opponents.

7) Darrin Hall, RB, Pittsburgh.  I feel like I’m missing something on this guy.  He led all RBs in this draft in yards after contact, even though he’s only 217 lbs. (I wonder if he lost weight early in the pre-draft process.)  And his Pro Day was pretty insane: 4.42 forty, 27 bench reps, 6.72 3-cone.  Plus, he was a star in the East West Shrine game.  We need a power runner to round out our corps, and he could be the new Robert Turbin in the short yardage situations.  Would consider swapping the Farmer/Hall picks, as Hall seems to be more on people’s radars than Farmer. 

Notice that I drafted no WRs.  I do think WRs will be in consideration throughout the draft (starting with Deebo in the 2nd), but I just had other priorities.  I think we have some good young guys from last year (Cain/Fountain), our offensive system doesn’t require top WRs, and Ballard doesn’t have a history of drafting WRs highly (including KC days).  It’s an over-rated need (along with Safety), IMO.

• Like 5