Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Jacobs is Edgerrin James Clone..

30 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This, I agree on. If you are on the fence about a RB if you need to spend a late 1st on him, given the RB position attrition, I am not sure I want to spend a 5th year option on him. 

For the Colts, unless he is available in the 50s, it does not make sense for us, to be honest. 

Minutes ago Mike Florio just made the opposite argument that the 5th. yr. option is a good thing for a RB because you get the extra year with the wear and tear and after five years you can get another if need be.  It's what Bellicheck did last year with Michel.  Simms mentioned teams at the top of the second as likely teams to do it.   Simms mentioned teams like the Colts at 34 and Raiders at 35 as teams who could do it and used Jacobs as an example of a player they could target if he looks like he will fall out of the 1st.   

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Minutes ago Mike Florio just made the opposite argument that the 5th. yr. option is a good thing for a RB because you get the extra year with the wear and tear and after five years you can get another if need be.  It's what Bellicheck did last year with Michel.  Simms mentioned teams at the top of the second as likely teams to do it.   Simms mentioned teams like the Colts at 34 and Raiders at 35 as teams who could do it and used Jacobs as an example of a player they could target if he looks like he will fall out of the 1st.   

If you use him right, like NE does with a 3 RB RBC, then yeah, you can use him in a disposable fashion. But if they hit a home run with him and he makes the Pro Bowl a couple of times, in all likelihood, he would want extended with a higher contract value before they pick up the 5th year option, IMO.

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I've really tried to avoid looking at running backs this year cause we never take one early even though I've been hoping for years we would...So today I decide to watch Josh Jacobs and lo and behold if he doesn't have IDENTICAL running style to James..Maybe it's meant to be?

Not to be super critical, but Edge could block, catch, great between the tackles and outside (stretch). Josh is a home run hitter, however if you'd ask someone who's not a Colts fan who does JJ remind them of, I dont think they would name Edge with all due respect. Lastly Edge ran a 4.38 forty (faster than Saquan Barkley's 4.40, and Josh's 4.5s range). Most importantly Edge had superior Vision that enabled him to cut on a dime (my gosh).

Josh is a super talented player but Edge is scary good. If that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

My only knock on Jacobs is that he doesn't have that extra gear. But I'm ok with that. He can still rip off 20 and 30 yard runs but isn't likely to break off an 80 yard run.

I agree with that..Edge, Bell, or Bradshaw aren't home run hitters either.. We got that in Mack and Hines already.. I expect Hines to be used more as well..

Edge was amazing, even as a prospect. He was a few pounds lighter than Barkley, but his combine performance was on Barkley's level. Faster 40, better 10 yard split, better shuttle... 

I think maybe his injury impacts the way he was remembered. Coming out, he was a freakish prospect, and his first two years in the league were outrageous. There is no RB in this year's draft that can compete with Edge as a prospect. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If you use him right, like NE does with a 3 RB RBC, then yeah, you can use him in a disposable fashion. But if they hit a home run with him and he makes the Pro Bowl a couple of times, in all likelihood, he would want extended with a higher contract value before they pick up the 5th year option, IMO.

IMO, the right approach is the Gurley approach. The Rams had the fifth year option, but extended him after three years to spread out the cap hits. They had leverage with two years of control and the tag after that, and he likely wanted to cash in before stepping back on the field, which makes sense. 

Of course, that approach requires spending a first on a RB, which is something I don't want to do. At #26, it's more of a conversation (and I'm still opposed, most likely), but not in the top 15 for sure. 

38 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Not to be super critical, but Edge could block, catch, great between the tackles and outside (stretch). Josh is a home run hitter, however if you'd ask someone who's not a Colts fan who does JJ remind them of, I dont think they would name Edge with all due respect. Lastly Edge ran a 4.38 forty (faster than Saquan Barkley's 4.40, and Josh's 4.5s range). Most importantly Edge had superior Vision that enabled him to cut on a dime (my gosh).

Josh is a super talented player but Edge is scary good. If that makes sense. 

I'm talking Edge as a Colt post knee injury, which was most his career..He wasn't 4.38 after that.If he never had the injury it's a different conversation... Look at James clips as Colt after the injury..Same running style both all around backs that lack top end speed, patient runners, good vision.. Before injury edge had home run speed but that was short lived here unfortunately..Preinjury edge would already be in Hall of Fame if that didn't happen..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I've really tried to avoid looking at running backs this year cause we never take one early even though I've been hoping for years we would...So today I decide to watch Josh Jacobs and lo and behold if he doesn't have IDENTICAL running style to James..Maybe it's meant to be?

Before or after James ACL tear?  If its before he should go in the top 10. 

I haven't looked at RBs at all.

1 minute ago, Fluke_33 said:

Before or after James ACL tear?  If its before he should go in the top 10. 

I haven't looked at RBs at all.

After...Before James was a freak...I still remember when he was a rookie and destroyed the Saints in preseason and was in awe of it, and forgot all about Marshall Faulk..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

After...Before James was a freak...I still remember when he was a rookie and destroyed the Saints in preseason and was in awe of it, and forgot all about Marshall Faulk..

Same here!  I don't hate many former colts but i hate faulk.  I think he quit on us.

Jacobs is very much like Edge post injury which was majority of his career..He will get you 4+ yards a carry, always falls forward, great blocker,vision, protects the ball, will get you between 50 and 70 receptions and 1,000 to 1,400 rushing yards per year and some pro bowl appearances..

28 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

A lot of great running backs didn't have top speed. For every Eric Dickerson there's a Emmitt Smith. Bell isn't a speedster either, but the quality runners have vision and know when to hit the hole..

He's not Emmitt Smith either .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, krunk said:

He's not Emmitt Smith either .

Yeah it is unfair for anyone to compare players coming out to guys like Emmitt, Walter, Eric, Barry, etc.. Barkley has been the only RB in over a decade I have done that with but Barkley will without a doubt live up to his billing. He already has in his rookie season. 

In 11 years with over 3,000 rushes, E James had 6 rushes that were +40 yds. 

In 11 years with over 3,000 rushes E James had 45 rushes that were +20 yds. (1.5 % of carries)

So, with even the best of NFL running backs, 98.5 % of the time it's all about getting four or five yards consistently, and then breaking  off some ten, twelve yard runs.

If Jacobs can produce well within 15 yards of the LOS, I'm all for drafting him.

Move the chains!

• Like 1