Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Jacobs is Edgerrin James Clone..

I've really tried to avoid looking at running backs this year cause we never take one early even though I've been hoping for years we would...So today I decide to watch Josh Jacobs and lo and behold if he doesn't have IDENTICAL running style to James..Maybe it's meant to be?

33 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I've really tried to avoid looking at running backs this year cause we never take one early even though I've been hoping for years we would...So today I decide to watch Josh Jacobs and lo and behold if he doesn't have IDENTICAL running style to James..Maybe it's meant to be?

I thought so too.   Maybe it is meant to be.  But I think we would probably have to trade up with Pittsburg or Seattle to get him.  I'm not feeling he will be there at 26.  Lots of chatter about the Ravens, Eagles and Raiders taking him ahead of us.  The question is do you think Ballard will move up a little to get him?  I am expecting a lot of QB trades before pick 20 so who knows.  

He is a complete back and pass catcher as well...Him and Mack would be a dangerous combo..Still players I would take before him, but if they are gone Jacobs will be great consolation prize. Maybe we get really lucky and he falls to top of 2nd.

He doesn't remind me of Addai at all other than the fact that he's solid back but not a superstar.  But of course you could say that about other backs in this draft.  I'm still sticking to my opinion that he won't go in Rd 1.  I don't see anything he brings to the table that guys like Kamara didn't bring.  Or some of the other backs who produced a lot more who were drafted between rds 2 and 4.  No one really even knows if he can carry a large workload.  He carried the football for 10 or more carries in only 4 of his last 33 College games.

He isn't flashy, but neither was Edgerrin..I think he will be very good pro and has a high floor because he can do everything...I harken back to old school to mention another player he compares to favorably and that's Thurman Thomas..We have the flash in Mack we just need the reliable do everything workhorse to go along with him..

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

ehhh I've been watching highlights, I dont see it.  

• Like 1

Just now, krunk said:

Shipp my boy but he starts these threads with odd type statements to produce conversation.  That's my take!

I know. 

That said, I think the RB and QB classes here this year, really all of the offensive skill classes, kind of suck this year.  Most of these guys touted as first round picks this year, would be lucky to go in the 2nd in most years. Really, this whole draft class has me worried.

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

I know. 

That said, I think the RB and QB classes here this year, really all of the offensive skill classes, kind of suck this year.  Most of these guys touted as first round picks this year, would be lucky to go in the 2nd in most years. Really, this whole draft class has me worried.

I see what you're saying about the RB and QB, but I think the WR position is pretty strong.  I think there's a lot to choose from at that spot.

3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I know. 

I'll say this....this is a draft that I'm glad the Colts have a late 1st round pick and early 2nd, based on draft value. I think this type of draft is where scouting and patience will really come into play. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I see what you're saying about the RB and QB, but I think the WR position is pretty strong.  I think there's a lot to choose from at that spot.

I think this is the year to get our #2, or possibly #1 WR to eventually replace T.Y..Metcalf or Hollywood Brown in first..A.J. Brown, Harry, or Deebo Samuel in 2nd..All have great potential in my opinion..Best WR class in recent memory..

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think this is the year to get our #2, or possibly #1 WR to eventually replace T.Y..Metcalf or Hollywood Brown in first..A.J. Brown, Harry, or Deebo Samuel in 2nd..All have great potential in my opinion..Best WR class in recent memory..

A lot to choose from.   You could even wait until later on and still pick up a pretty darn good WR.  There's a bunch of em in this one.

Can he play receiver like edge? Edge was a two headed monster. Looks like Oakland is very interested in him.

14 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Next years WR class is even better.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm still sticking to my opinion that he won't go in Rd 1.

I thought there was a really strong chance he went in the 1st round based on tape alone. But I talked to my inside guy this morning and he said there is no chance he goes first round over a character concern. When you read about him in articles, no character issues come up. But real scouts and player personnel people find almost everything. So it appears you might be right on this one.

10 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

I thought there was a really strong chance he went in the 1st round based on tape alone. But I talked to my inside guy this morning and he said there is no chance he goes first round over a character concern. When you read about him in articles, no character issues come up. But real scouts and player personnel people find almost everything. So it appears you might be right on this one.

Let's take a look at a guy like Rashad Penny.  Penny rushed for Marshall Falk type numbers at San Diego St and that only got him the 27th pick in the first round last year. I believe he even had a 2,000 yard year one season.    Jacobs doesn't even show Rashad Penny type ability and of course the numbers don't even get anywhere close to Penny.  All that production and not many of us were talking about Penny going in the first round last year.  Penny had more freak traits than Jacobs as well.   Now we are supposed to believe that a guy who has been a career backup and never rushed for more than 600 plus yards is supposed to be going in Rd#1?  People can tell me all about him being behind such and such and so  and so and not being able to get his shot, but I just feel like if you really are that dude you should end up forcing them to increase your playing time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Let's take a look at a guy like Rashad Penny.  Penny rushed for Marshall Falk type numbers at San Diego St and that only got him the 27th pick in the first round last year.   Jacobs doesn't even show Rashad Penny type ability and of course the numbers don't even get anywhere close to Penny.  All that production and not many of us were talking about Penny going in the first round last year.  Penny had more freak traits than Jacobs as well.   Now we are supposed to believe that a guy who has been a career backup is supposed to be going in Rd#1?  People can tell me all about him being behind such and such and so  and so and not being able to get his shot, but I just feel like if you really are that dude you end up forcing them to increase your playing time.

Cmon man! You think if they traded places that Jacobs wouldn't have killed it at San Diego St? And that Penny would have made Najee Harris and Damien Harris take a back seat? I'm not buying that. I was pretty surprised when Sea took Penny last year. I thought he was more of a straight line guy than a make somebody miss guy. He looked pretty good against weak competition in college IMO, but not so hot last year against the likes of NFL defenses. 

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Let's take a look at a guy like Rashad Penny.  Penny rushed for Marshall Falk type numbers at San Diego St and that only got him the 27th pick in the first round last year. I believe he even had a 2,000 yard year one season.    Jacobs doesn't even show Rashad Penny type ability and of course the numbers don't even get anywhere close to Penny.  All that production and not many of us were talking about Penny going in the first round last year.  Penny had more freak traits than Jacobs as well.   Now we are supposed to believe that a guy who has been a career backup and never rushed for more than 600 plus yards is supposed to be going in Rd#1?  People can tell me all about him being behind such and such and so  and so and not being able to get his shot, but I just feel like if you really are that dude you should end up forcing them to increase your playing time.

The fact he doesn't have all the mileage and wear and tear is another reason he is coveted...Not necessarily a bad thing..He just isn't flashy, but he has elite vision and natural feel for the game..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Can he play receiver like edge? Edge was a two headed monster. Looks like Oakland is very interested in him.

Next years WR class is even better.

Absolutely he can!!! That is one of his strengths, IMO, more than running between the tackles. That is also the reason why he will be drafted at the end of Round 1, because it is hard to project someone in a timeshare at Alabama (or any place). If he was the lead dog there, he'd probably be going in the Top 10-15 picks. That is why Addai was a late Round 1 pick, because of the timeshare at LSU. 

The thing about Addai though is that once was not used in a timeshare with Rhodes, starting 2007, injuries started to mount. That is why RBC will continue to happen with Josh Jacobs even if he is drafted in Round 1, just the nature of the RB position.

1 minute ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

Cmon man! You think if they traded places that Jacobs wouldn't have killed it at San Diego St? And that Penny would have made Najee Harris and Damien Harris take a back seat? I'm not buying that. I was pretty surprised when Sea took Penny last year. I thought he was more of a straight line guy than a make somebody miss guy. He looked pretty good against weak competition in college IMO, but not so hot last year against the likes of NFL defenses. 

No I do not!   He would not have produced what Penny did.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

PENNY is a 1 trick pony though Krunk..Jacobs has no real weakness, and is also a great receiver out of the backfield.

My only knock on Jacobs is that he doesn't have that extra gear. But I'm ok with that. He can still rip off 20 and 30 yard runs but isn't likely to break off an 80 yard run.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

You're on one today my friend. Donnell Pumphrey put up over 2,000 rushing yards in that offense the year before Penny had his monster year.

He wouldnt do what they did.  He doesn't have that extra gear like that .

8 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

PENNY is a 1 trick pony though Krunk..Jacobs has no real weakness, and is also a great receiver out of the backfield.

I like his skill set and I think he's a solid back.  I just think he's a day 2 to day 4 guy.

Somewhere in that range.

In fact in the league what I think you might get out of Jacobs when it's all said and done is something close to  Ahmad Bradshaw.  Which isn't too bad, but I don't think he's a superstar.  I just think he's a pretty solid back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Reason being the injuries?  Mack is the one who is off on the wrong foot from that perspective.  

No I'm talking about what he will actually do over his career.  I'm not even talking about the injuries.  Everybody looks like a beast at Alabama.  The skill set I see is closer to a committee guy like Ahmad.  I do think he and Mack would look good together as a solid committee type arrangement but I don't think he's a round 1 5th year option type guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i don't see it.

Edge was 2 inches taller and and 5lbs lighter

Edge had around 1500 yards from scrimmage average over his last two years.

Jacobs had 880 his last year.

Edge had around 6 ypcarry his last 2 years, Jacobs 5.3.

Edge had around 15 ypcatch vs 12.4 for Jacobs

Jacobs IMO is not near as explosive, and lacks the home run speed Edge had.

I'd wager Jacobs had a much more talented team all around than Edge too.

NFL.com compares him to Sony Michel

Overall, a pretty meh RB class top to bottom. Worst class I can remember honestly in a long time.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

No I'm talking about what he will actually do over his career.  I'm not even talking about the injuries.  Everybody looks like a beast at Alabama.  The skill set I see is closer to a committee guy like Ahmad.  I do think he and Mack would look good together as a solid committee type arrangement but I don't think he's a round 1 5th year option type guy.

This, I agree on. If you are on the fence about a RB if you need to spend a late 1st on him, given the RB position attrition, I am not sure I want to spend a 5th year option on him. 

For the Colts, unless he is available in the 50s, it does not make sense for us, to be honest. 

• Like 1