Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 NFL Draft Thread

LucasOilStadium

As Shive pointed out the Redskins are starting either Keenum or their new rookie Haskins.

Redskins play the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants x2. They play the AFC East. Their schedule looks like a 3-13 season which makes that 2nd Rd 2020 pick valuable. We could have the #34 pick all over again + We got the #46 of this year! From a draft value p.o.v. the Colts came out on top. Next year's draft has some great players coming out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It’s not a terrible trade. But I think to have the ability to say it was a good trade will depend on next year. If that second ends up being 33-38 in the draft next year, absolutely it was a good trade. But if it’s a mid 40s next year, yeah no so much

Even if it’s mid-40’s, we still gain more points than we traded away. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

You did not "pick up" a second round pick this year. It would imply that you got an additional pick this year. It is not. You swapped picks (#26 for #46) and added a pick next 

In my eyes we did. We are picking at 34. (1-36 is first round, but again in my own thoughts). So we did pick up another second round pick. 

2 minutes ago, Beizy317 said:

In my eyes we did. We are picking at 34. (1-36 is first round, but again in my own thoughts). So we did pick up another second round pick. 

But this trade is not what brought you that second round pick. It is the trade with the Jets last year that brought that pick. So even without the trade out of the first this year, you would have had that #34 pick.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So you are saying there is no value in the first?? I think Ballard values quantity...especially in rd 2....but no doubt who was at 26 had more value than who will be there at 46.

Nope.

From round 1 pick 20 to about round 3 pick 30 the players will all be of comparable talent.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if it’s mid-40’s, we still gain more points than we traded away. 

Not really oh well I’m out for the night 

ps. If you all wanna read some funny stuff about this, pop over to Facebook and read the comments there, you’d think Ballard traded Luck away the way people are freaking out 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

Ballard has been Brillant. We can select as of know Jawaan Taylor ( a projected top 10 pick). We still have Metcalf or A.J. Brown or Butler all of whom some wanted in the first round and we get a 2nd next year. 

If he gets Metcalf, I may want to strangle him lol kidding kidding about the strangle part but yeah pass on metcalf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

But this trade is not what brought you that second round pick. It is the trade with the Jets last year that brought that pick. So even without the trade out of the first this year, you would have had that #34 pick.

But regardless we have the 34th pick. So that allows us to make a trade like this. We picked up a future second as well. You cannot beat that. It's a great trade. Ballard has good draft history as well. It will work out.

• Thanks 1

Dang it my favorite receiver goes to the Pats... Ugh.  At least we still have a chance at Taylor, Byron Murphy and AJ Brown. To think there's a universe where we can get two of these guys without having a first round pick is insane. 

Cody Ford, Campbell, Samuel, Ferguson, Adderly, Thornhill, Butler, Hooker the amount of talent that is left is insane.  I love drafts that are loaded in the second and third rounds :-). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

You know, I said during the Gavin mocks that I felt this was a weak draft class. Wonder if Ballard feels the same way

Those who judge talent have been calling this a good draft for a year.

Ballard said the value between pick 15 and pick 70 (55 picks) might be roughly the same.   So, there's depth.     The Pick that Ballard takes at 46,  might be as good as what he thought he'd get at 26.

I'm not sure why you called this a weak draft class?    You're the first person I've seen even suggest it....

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So you are saying there is no value in the first?? I think Ballard values quantity...especially in rd 2....but no doubt who was at 26 had more value than who will be there at 46.

Ballard said the exact oppsite this week in his pre-draft presser.

Said, in his view there was elite talent for the first 14 picks.    Then,  from roughly 15-70 (55 picks)  there was roughly the same talent.  

So, his view is,  this year,  pick 46 is roughly just as good as pick 26.    And he picked up what will likely be a very high R2 pick next year in the process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Cool, we'll rehash this in 2-3 years. We'll most likely have EVERY 2nd round pick that year so that's good 

I mean, if you think about it, it's impossible to fill your team with 1st round picks.  And you'd have to be a bad team for a few years to stack a handful of blue-chip players like the Browns did.

But the way Ballard trades and drafts, he could hypothetically add a handful of 2nd rounders every year and fill his team with 2nd round picks while the team stays consistently good and competitive.

That's ok by me.

jum yes GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

1 hour ago, Shive said:

They're starting Haskins or Keenum. I don't see that being a great season.  

Yup....    wouldn't you think 8-8 would be their absolute ceiling?    And that's if Keenum plays like he did two years ago.

But more likely,  it's a sub-500 season for Washington.   And maybe it's a top-10 or higher 2nd round pick for the Colts.      

I'll take that,  thank you very much!   :thmup:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ballard said the exact oppsite this week in his pre-draft presser.

Said, in his view there was elite talent for the first 14 picks.    Then,  from roughly 15-70 (55 picks)  there was roughly the same talent.  

So, his view is,  this year,  pick 46 is roughly just as good as pick 26.    And he picked up what will likely be a very high R2 pick next year in the process.

YEah obviously he felt that way...he made the trade lol...I can’t argue against that...question becomes was he right?....and did one of those 10-15 fall and we pass....I thought Sweat could be in that category. ANYway...it will be a busy night tomorrow!

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

YEah obviously he felt that way...he made the trade lol...I can’t argue against that...question becomes was he right?....and did one of those 10-15 fall and we pass....I thought Sweat could be in that category. ANYway...it will be a busy night tomorrow!

Ballard was asked about Sweat in the post-event presser....    It's on the front of the website...  about 6:00 long...

And he made a bit of a funny face and said he didn't want to get into the details...

I think that was his way of saying he was not draftable on our board due to his health.   But he doesn't want to say that publicly....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

No, we're all saying there are plenty of great players still to be had and it doesn't justify making a pick here just to be in the first round.  Ballard also gained a pick for next year in the process.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure why you called this a weak draft class?    You're the first person I've seen even suggest it....

When I say weak draft class, im looking mainly at The 1st round depth. It’s not much. Even Ballard has said the 1st round talent this year is very too heavy and maybe has 15 guys with 1st round talent. 

while the odds are that’s I am wrong, I feel this draft has the same feeling to me I got for the 2013 draft.  Some good quality depth,   A couple above average players here or there but really no super studs. Maybe 10-15 players that would grade out as a 1st round pick in any year. After that, most of these guys would struggle to go in the 2nd in most years.  That’s not to say they are bad, Just a step behind most drafts when looking at round per round. 

Now that is my overall feelings on it. I think there’s is some very deep talent along the DL, some guys that will provide average production for a few years. 

That’s also why I’m ok with trading back here. I would like to have gotten a better deal that included an extra pick this year in the later round. But it is what it is. 

Assuming CB didn't think #26 was significantly more valuable than second round pick(s), would future salary cap considerations play into it?  Don't second round picks slot in lower than first rounders? Perhaps he sees it as getting a similarly talented player(s) with the added bonus of better future salary cap flexibility.

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

So there were only 32 good players this entire draft?  There is plenty of talent still left in this draft

Well understand on most message boards I partake in my nickname (for years ) has been Mr. Pessimist .