Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 NFL Draft Thread

LucasOilStadium

7 minutes ago, Nadine said:

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Trading back 20 spots and only getting a second out of it is well disappointing 

We didn’t get one second.   We got two. And next years Redskins two might be very high.  

Good trade IMO. 

• Like 3

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

We didn’t get one second.   We got two. And next years Redskins two might be very high.  

Good trade IMO. 

They're starting Haskins or Keenum. I don't see that being a great season.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

The true value of this draft is in the 2nd round...and the Colts have 3 picks in it.

So you are saying there is no value in the first?? I think Ballard values quantity...especially in rd 2....but no doubt who was at 26 had more value than who will be there at 46.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good trade IMO. 

The language of this needs to be accurate.

We only got a second round pick next year for moving back 20 slots this year.  For moving back 20 slots, we got one extra pick, and it comes next year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good trade IMO. 

And no, we gained just 1 pick... we gave up our first, for two seconds, a net gain of just 1 2nd round pick 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DougDew said:

We got one extra pick, and it comes next year.

Which is great.

I hope Ballard does this every year, adding an additional 2nd rounder to the next years' draft.

It's the smart move if you can't get the blue-chip guys in the top-5 or top-10, which the Colts will hopefully not be doing again anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, dgambill said:

So you are saying there is no value in the first?? I think Ballard values quantity...especially in rd 2....but no doubt who was at 26 had more value than who will be there at 46.

They must believe whatever handful of guys they had rated around 26 some will be there at 34, 46 is a bonus. Valuation doesn't change much with having 34, but if 46 were our first real pick I would agree. 

Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yay! We'll get a guy in the 40s instead that's half the player! Our dline will still be trash! You're a smart one. 

Eh I’m not going that far. The DL depth in this draft is very deep. Deepest in over a decade. Half the player, nah. Maybe 10-20 percent less of a player but still

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Sweat, Abrams, Tillery, guys we wanted, one by one, gone!!!

Maybe we overrated them more than what they were worth??? Got to trust Ballard on this one.

You know, I said during the Gavin mocks that I felt this was a weak draft class. Wonder if Ballard feels the same way

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Which is great.

I hope Ballard does this every year, adding an additional 2nd rounder to the next years' draft.

It's the smart move if you can't get the blue-chip guys in the top-5 or top-10, which the Colts will hopefully not be doing again anytime soon.

Well except it is entirely possible a top 10 pick fell because of a bad medical...anyways Ballard has proven he can turn these 2nds into starters so I’ll trust him..but this isn’t theoretical players...we know who we gave up to move back...hope it pays off.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It would be smart to wait and see how everything turns out before making claims like this.

Point blank, we traded a 1st for a 2nd a year from now. We got hosed. There are great players getting picked here, and we could've had a game changer. Ballard nailed it last year, but the NFL is a what have you done for me lately league, ask Grigson (also GM of the Year). If he falls on his face with these picks, and Sweat, Abrams, Tillery, and whoever else are killing it, idk man I need to sleep on it lol

Man, people who are downgrading this trade are delusional. This is a A-1 trade. We picked up a second this year. And a potentially high 2nd round pick next year. Picking high in the 2nd round is the 1st round. I consider 1-36 first round. We are looking to be in great shape. 

10 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Which is great.

Personally, I think the guy we'll get at 46 is basically the same guy we could have gotten at 26, but WASH didn't think so.

Since they moved up 20 slots to get the EDGE player, I would have thought Ballard could've have milked a late round pick this year. 4th or 5th

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What if that was not the case?? If they felt the level of talent wasn't significantly different with a player they felt could be available at 34 and 46, that could have given them comfort with the trade. 

• Like 1

Just now, HOF19 said:

Does Ballard (generally speaking) have the point of view that overall this 2019 Draft just does not have too many top notch picks ?

Yes. He said that there was about 15 blue chip players, then everyone from 16 to 70 was roughly the same. The value in this draft is absolutely in the 2nd and 3rd.

• Like 5

Just now, Beizy317 said:

Man, people who are downgrading this trade are delusional. This is a A-1 trade. We picked up a second this year. And a potentially high 2nd round pick next year. Picking high in the 2nd round is the 1st round. I consider 1-36 first round. We are looking to be in great shape. 

We didn’t pick up a 2nd this year.... we Have the exact same number of picks as we did an hour ago, just no first. And we moved back 20 spots. I’m good with the trade but it was a bit light on the package. Should have at least gotten a 5th/6th rounder this year too. Then again, how often do those guys pan out. Meh. The heck with it. We’ll see what Ballard does tomorrow. I trust him... still

2 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Does Ballard (generally speaking) have the point of view that overall this 2019 Draft just does not have too many top notch picks ?

He said that in his press conference earlier this week, they felt outside of maybe 12-15 players, the drop off from 16-40ish was not very much if any. So yes, I think you can make that assumption. 

9 minutes ago, Beizy317 said:

You did not "pick up" a second round pick this year.  The bolded implies that you got an additional pick this year. That is not the case. You swapped picks (#26 for #46) and added a pick next year. 

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And no, we gained just 1 pick... we gave up our first, for two seconds, a net gain of just 1 2nd round pick 

Semantics.    We basically said the same thing in different ways.

But we’re highly likely to get far more points than we traded away according to the chart. 

It remains a good trade. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

We didn’t pick up a 2nd this year.... we Have the exact same number of picks as we did an hour ago, just no first. And we moved back 20 spots. I’m good with the trade but it was a bit light on the package. Should have at least gotten a 5th/6th rounder this year too. Then again, how often do those guys pan out. Meh. The heck with it. We’ll see what Ballard does tomorrow. I trust him... still

Yeah, but you can use those picks to move up in the second or third to get the guy you want.  He did that with Lewis last year, and Grigs did it to get TY.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Semantics.    We basically said the same thing in different ways.

But we’re highly likely to get far more points than we traded away according to the chart. 

It remains a good trade. 

It’s not a terrible trade. But I think to have the ability to say it was a good trade will depend on next year. If that second ends up being 33-38 in the draft next year, absolutely it was a good trade. But if it’s a mid 40s next year, yeah no so much

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well except it is entirely possible a top 10 pick fell because of a bad medical...anyways Ballard has proven he can turn these 2nds into starters so I’ll trust him..but this isn’t theoretical players...we know who we gave up to move back...hope it pays off.

Nit drafting Sweat is likely not Ballard’s choice.   These decisions are typically made by the owner and team doctor.