Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Poll - 2019 iDL Draft Pick in the 1st

Poll - 2019 iDL Draft Pick in the 1st  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What iDL will the Colts pick at 26 (see assumptions below)

• Christian Wilkins - doubt he falls to 26.
    • Dexter Lawrence - too big for scheme?
    • Jeffery Simmons - great talent, but off field concerns and injury
    • Jerry Tillery - too many interests outside of football?
    • Dre'Mont Jones - great athlete, is he too small, and only has one year of good production
    • Zach Allen - too much of a tweener?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/25/2019 at 11:00 PM

Just did a scan of Colts.com's mock mondays, and Dexter Lawrence was the most picked at 26. I wouldn't be disappointed, but would not be as excited compared to Wilkins or Tillery. I'd love Simmons, I just don't want to wait. Dre'mont is interesting too. 

9 minutes ago, MTC said:

I feel like Jeffrey Simmons is the only answer at 26. Maybe Jerry Tillery. 

I always wonder what the conversations with an injured guy like Simmons would be like (during pre draft interviews/meetings). You're pretty much losing a year of the cheap rookie contract due to injury. If you take him in the first, you get a fifth year option, but most players cry like a babe when a 5th year option is invoked.

If I were a coach/GM, I'd say "Mr. Simmons, we're going to take a chance on your injury healing, and let you sit a year, but we're also going to use the 5th year option and expect you to show up without issue"

Lawrence may not have some of the others pass rush but they don't have his run stopping ability, taking up blocks, pushing the pocket. He also actually does have pass rushing ability. Could even lose a little weight if need be. I think he's fine. Make a team one dimensional you can pin your ears back and get after them

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

What are Tillery's outside interests? First I heard of this.

I think book report dioramas.   Maybe Andrew will have him in his book club!

jk.  I don’t know.  It’s a weird negative unless it’s a nice way of saying he’s not into football

bryce love has said his main goal in life is to become a doctor after football but I don’t think that is a detriment to him. I think it’s a positive.  

I'll go out on a limb and say that CB goes Lawrence with #26, and then SImmons with #34... Then a safety with #59, and we're on a solid base for the rest of the draft (WR, OL, Edge, and CB will round out the rest of the picks...)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

What are Tillery's outside interests? First I heard of this.

he was class prez at ND. he likes to travel. interned at a financial corp last summer in Ireland IIRC. too smart for football. 

in short, he might actually have a brain or interest in things outside of the cult of football. DTs aren't supposed to do that...

he is, the most interesting DT in the world.

• Like 1

CB talks about special/ unique traits. So I think Simmons (and Brian Burns) fit that bill and I can even imagine him trading up for one of them if he likes them enough. 

I'd love a day 2 WR to stretch the field (M Brown/Deebo/Campbell) as I still have nightmares about the first half at KC.  

I think Ballard's going to draft linemen until he's satisfied w both sides, then he will truly go BPA.  After his epic draft achievement last year, I completely trust whatever he ends up doing. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

he was class prez at ND. he likes to travel. interned at a financial corp last summer in Ireland IIRC. too smart for football. 

in short, he might actually have a brain or interest in things outside of the cult of football. DTs aren't supposed to do that...

he is, the most interesting DT in the world.

Pretty broad range of interests..... throw in a trip to the World Cup and I'd have thought you were talking about Andrew Luck. 

I'm good with Tillery at #26 if he's there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Pretty broad range of interests..... throw in a trip to the World Cup and I'd have thought you were talking about Andrew Luck. 

I'm good with Tillery at #26 if he's there.

World Cup rocks. I would not doubt if JT was a WC attendee. I honestly thing AL and JT would get along well. Both cerebral and quirky.

Just posted some info on JT from his interview this AM. Still beating the "other interest" drum, and critical of where he is today lol.

• Like 2