Jump to content
BProland85

Buzz around Colts possibly targeting Jeffery Simmons

Recommended Posts

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/4/21/18509948/nfl-draft-rumors-jeffery-simmons-eagles-colts-mississippi-state-philadelphia-defensive-tackle-2019

 

I would love to get Simmons even if we have to jump in front of Philly to do so. We would only need to give up maybe a 4th round pick to move up 2 spots or so. Having the 34th overall pick as well gives Ballard the luxury to take a player like Simmons who would be a HUGE long term piece for this defense.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure I would give up any pick for a guy that won’t play until 2020. We could still have a very strong pick even at a 4. Mack was a fourth and Anthony Walker was a fifth.He would have to fall to us for me to want to take him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I hope we don't, I am among the few that doesn't think Simmons will pan out. Sure, he will be a decent DT, but he isn't first round material.

  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Personally I hope we don't, I am among the few that doesn't think Simmons will pan out. Sure, he will be a decent DT, but he isn't first round material.

 

Simmons is arguably the most talented DT in this draft. If he hadn't torn his ACL, he'd be a top 8 pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

 

Simmons is arguably the most talented DT in this draft. If he hadn't torn his ACL, he'd be a top 8 pick.

I know a lot of people say that, but from my personal film studies I am not impressed. Sure, he could be a good player and prove me wrong, at which point I would own up to my mistake, but from my perspective, which few seem to share, Simmons doesn't display enough to be considered so highly. Just personal opinion though, I know I won't change anyones minds this late in the draft process haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I know a lot of people say that, but from my personal film studies I am not impressed. Sure, he could be a good player and prove me wrong, at which point I would own up to my mistake, but from my perspective, which few seem to share, Simmons doesn't display enough to be considered so highly. Just personal opinion though, I know I won't change anyones minds this late in the draft process haha 

I'm bouncing back and forth between really 3 guys. 2 I want at 26 and one at 34. Based on tackles for loss which is one of the greatest measurements for an IDL , can you guess without looking up, tell me who is who all based off final 3 years

Player A 33

Player B 21

Player C 22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'm bouncing back and forth between really 3 guys. 2 I want at 26 and one at 34. Based on tackles for loss which is one of the greatest measurements for an IDL , can you guess without looking up, tell me who is who all based off final 3 years

Player A 33

Player B 21

Player C 22

I’m guessing 2 of them are Simmons and Tillery, and the other I’m not sure, could be Jones, Lawrence, or Wilkins if you think he’d fall that far, I’d guess Wilkins though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I’m guessing 2 of them are Simmons and Tillery, and the other I’m not sure, could be Jones, Lawrence, or Wilkins if you think he’d fall that far, I’d guess Wilkins though

A is Simmons

B Tillery

C Jones

Heres a crazy one for ya, Ed Oliver has 53. I really really like Tillery as suggested by my mock but Simmons production is undeniable. Although as far as sacks go tillery has more even if you take away the 5 sack anomaly game he had against Stanford. I am happy if we take either one and will look at more film tomorrow morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

I know a lot of people say that, but from my personal film studies I am not impressed. Sure, he could be a good player and prove me wrong, at which point I would own up to my mistake, but from my perspective, which few seem to share, Simmons doesn't display enough to be considered so highly. Just personal opinion though, I know I won't change anyones minds this late in the draft process haha 

 

WG....

 

If I may, I'd like to explain my objection to your view on Simmons.

 

I think there's a near unanimous consensus that Simmons would've been a top-10 kid had it not been for his two strikes....   the knee and the incident with the young lady.    Some websites say he'd have been a top-5 candidate.

 

Now, even with those two incidents,  I've not seen any reputable website that doesn't still have him ranked in their top-32.

 

But, as far as I can tell...    you're not arguing Simmons is not a top-10 guy.    You're arguing he's not a top-32 guy.     And I think that's just a non-defensible argument.     In a year that's being called historically great, the experts are all saying he's a first round guy,  the only question is....  how high.    Could he slip out of the 1st round?    Sure.    But only due to his two strikes,  not due to his playing ability.

 

But your view appears ONLY based on his playig ability.    I don't see you using either of the two strikes against him.    You simply seem to be saying....   not a top-32 guy.     I'm astonished.

 

If you prove to be right,  you should quit your day job and see if you can be a scout in the NFL. 

 

It'd be one thing if you said....   "I don't think Simmons is top-10.   I think he's a little over rated and think he's more a top-20 or top-30 guy.   But not top-10."    But you're not making that argument.    Only that he's not top-32.    

 

I think you're a good guy and a good poster.    But this one....   this is a head scratcher....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

WG....

 

If I may, I'd like to explain my objection to your view on Simmons.

 

I think there's a near unanimous consensus that Simmons would've been a top-10 kid had it not been for his two strikes....   the knee and the incident with the young lady.    Some websites say he'd have been a top-5 candidate.

 

Now, even with those two incidents,  I've not seen any reputable website that doesn't still have him ranked in their top-32.

 

But, as far as I can tell...    you're not arguing Simmons is not a top-10 guy.    You're arguing he's not a top-32 guy.     And I think that's just a non-defensible argument.     In a year that's being called historically great, the experts are all saying he's a first round guy,  the only question is....  how high.    Could he slip out of the 1st round?    Sure.    But only due to his two strikes,  not due to his playing ability.

 

But your view appears ONLY based on his playig ability.    I don't see you using either of the two strikes against him.    You simply seem to be saying....   not a top-32 guy.     I'm astonished.

 

If you prove to be right,  you should quit your day job and see if you can be a scout in the NFL. 

 

It'd be one thing if you said....   "I don't think Simmons is top-10.   I think he's a little over rated and think he's more a top-20 or top-30 guy.   But not top-10."    But you're not making that argument.    Only that he's not top-32.    

 

I think you're a good guy and a good poster.    But this one....   this is a head scratcher....

 

 

I understand where everyone is coming from, but the issue I see with Simmons is his lack of continuity. If you look at all his highlights, sure, you’ll find a guy who makes massive plays. But just from seeing what I have, there are plays where he does stuff wrong, and he can get swallowed up whole. He often comes out of his stance high and though he has the strength to bull rush, that seems to be his only good move and will be handled much better by quality NFL caliber lineman. 

 

However, you are right, putting him outside the first round is probably not the best thing, but even without all of his red flags, I’d stick him from the 20-30 range. I suppose I took his off-field problems into account more when I said what I did earlier, but he doesn’t move much higher up strictly from a skills perspective, and throwing in those issues for me puts him outside the top 50 on my draft board. As I said though, he has the potential to prove me wrong, and if he does, I’ll own up. But he also has the potential to be the biggest bust in the draft, not playing to his highest potential and out of the league within 5 years due to continued off field issues.

 

In all though, I trust in Ballard, and if Simmons is his man, then so be it, and I’ll be one of the many in Blue and White cheering for him on game day. It’s up to Ballard, not any of us, after all

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BProland85 said:

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2019/4/21/18509948/nfl-draft-rumors-jeffery-simmons-eagles-colts-mississippi-state-philadelphia-defensive-tackle-2019

 

I would love to get Simmons even if we have to jump in front of Philly to do so. We would only need to give up maybe a 4th round pick to move up 2 spots or so. Having the 34th overall pick as well gives Ballard the luxury to take a player like Simmons who would be a HUGE long term piece for this defense.

Give up a potential pro bowl talent in 2019 that could maybe get us to the SB for an overrated position talent who needs major knee surgery and will miss the entire season???  NO THANKS!  Autry, Ward etc... Just fine 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ideally id like Simmons at 34, but im thinking he might not make it until 26. If he does id be more than ok taking him. Barring any major injury to you know who, when will the Colts have the opportunity to get a top 10 talent again? 

 

Having #34 also makes this an easier decision as they can still get a really good impact player a few picks later. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems like all the prospects the Colts are linked to, the Eagles are as well. Simmons, Abram, and Jacobs. If Simmons falls to us, I expect him to be the pick. We know we had him at the facility for a visit, but in his presser Balked said he’s got s couple guys with character concerns that he’s comfortable with taking. Simmons is definitely one of them. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read his NFL comparison was Suh. If we can get that production without the helmet stomping sign me up

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BProland85 said:

 

Simmons is arguably the most talented DT in this draft. If he hadn't torn his ACL, he'd be a top 8 pick.

 

 And the % of hyped players, even near the top of the draft that don't meet expectations is HIGH! get over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Give up a potential pro bowl talent in 2019 that could maybe get us to the SB for an overrated position talent who needs major knee surgery and will miss the entire season???  NO THANKS!  Autry, Ward etc... Just fine 

 

SMH

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Give up a potential pro bowl talent in 2019 that could maybe get us to the SB for an overrated position talent who needs major knee surgery and will miss the entire season???  NO THANKS!  Autry, Ward etc... Just fine 

 

Jaylon Smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

It seems like all the prospects the Colts are linked to, the Eagles are as well. Simmons, Abram, and Jacobs. If Simmons falls to us, I expect him to be the pick. We know we had him at the facility for a visit, but in his presser Balked said he’s got s couple guys with character concerns that he’s comfortable with taking. Simmons is definitely one of them. 

 

I was laughing when the Mel Kiper and Todd McShay head-to-head mock draft gave us D.K.Metcalf yesterday (Eagles had selected Jeffrey Simmons a pick earlier). Adam Schefter opined "there is Dexter Lawrence and Clelin Ferrell on the board and WR help can easily be obtained in future rounds". In other words, Adam Schefter made more sense there than the others. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

I was laughing when the Mel Kiper and Todd McShay head-to-head mock draft gave us D.K.Metcalf yesterday (Eagles had selected Jeffrey Simmons a pick earlier). Adam Schefter opined "there is Dexter Lawrence and Clelin Ferrell on the board and WR help can easily be obtained in future rounds". In other words, Adam Schefter made more sense there than the others. 

Daniel Jeremiah, Lance Zerlein, Matt Miller, and Bucky Brooks are the only mock drafts I usually trust. This is why lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Daniel Jeremiah, Lance Zerlein, Matt Miller, and Bucky Brooks are the only mock drafts I usually trust. This is why lol

 

I don't really pay attention to any mocks, but that Kiper-McShay combo mock is always a joke. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewEra said:

I read his NFL comparison was Suh. If we can get that production without the helmet stomping sign me up

We could always draft him and then sign Suh for a year until he is ready to go.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

 

I don't really pay attention to any mocks, but that Kiper-McShay combo mock is always a joke. 

 

Yup.     It's as if they take all the knowledge,  all the experience,  all the wisdom,  and throw them all completely out the window.

 

Maybe they're also playing.....    Make a pick, take a shot!     :funny:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Yup.     It's as if they take all the knowledge,  all the experience,  all the wisdom,  and throw them all completely out the window.

 

Maybe they're also playing.....    Make a pick, take a shot!     :funny:

 

Last time I watched any of it, it felt like they just completely disagreed on every fundamental aspect of how to do a mock draft, and they were trying not to break into an argument about every pick. Just not a good mix, IMO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Last time I watched any of it, it felt like they just completely disagreed on every fundamental aspect of how to do a mock draft, and they were trying not to break into an argument about every pick. Just not a good mix, IMO.

Yes....   there’s a public dynamic that Todd is the little brother and Mel is the older brother, more wise and experienced.

 

I think Todd often finds Mel to be insulting and disrespectful.   I think he’s genuinely annoyed with him.

 

I think Mel wants more respect as the Senior draft guy and sometimes acts as if he’s threatened by Todd.

 

Then again, when he was there for the last few years, both guys were very deferential to Polian.   I don’t think either wanted Bill to say that they didnt know what they were talking about.  That would’ve been a bad look.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...