Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lucky Colts Fan

Ballard ranks #8 in NFL GM Power Ranking

According to Gregg Rosenthal:

1.  Bill Belichick - NE

2.  Howie Roseman - PHI

3.  Kevin Colbert - PIT

4.  John Dorsey - CLE

5.  Thomas Dimitroff - ATL

6.  John Schneider - SEA

7.  Les Snead - LAR

8.  Chris Ballard - IND

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027372/article/nfl-gm-power-rankings-john-dorsey-kevin-colbert-rank-top-5

The Colts' trade with the Jets last year, which netted them the sixth, 37th and 49th overall picks in 2018 and a second-rounder this year, was nice. Actually capitalizing on their draft picks was a lot nicer. Ballard's second draft at the helm included a generational guard (Quenton Nelson), the Defensive Rookie of the Year (Darius Leonard) and another starter in right tackle Braden Smith. It's the type of draft that changes a franchise, and Ballard's other roster-building moves have proven to be smart calculations, as well. Colts fans are in good hands with Ballard, Frank Reich and Andrew Luck leading the franchise into the next decade.

Isn't Ballard the reigning Executive of the Year?  :scratch:

Why is John Dorsey so high. I agree with most of the others on the list. Just don’t know where ballard actually ranks.

56 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why is John Dorsey so high. I agree with most of the others on the list. Just don’t know where ballard actually ranks.

Dorsey built KC...   and he’s building Cleveland.   He’s got a longer track record of success than Ballard does.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dorsey built KC...   and he’s building Cleveland.   He’s got a longer track record of success than Ballard does.

Right but he hasn’t been in Cleveland long. But I get it.

Gregg Rosenthal....can't believe the patriots homer has BB #1. Shocking

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

Gregg Rosenthal....can't believe the patriots homer has BB #1. Shocking

Its the basis for the whole darn article.

They are in full deflection mode in NE.

haha 

Many are over-looking Ballard's off-season deals with our own guys imo.  While he does look to improve from outside, I feel keeping our own is a bigger factor for future success. 

I think ALL colts fans are confident CB will be top 3 as early as after this draft!!!  3 might be selling him short but we shall see!

12 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Maybe because for the first time in like forever, this franchise seems to have real, definable hope. That is an accenting team and for them to take the seemingly right QB with first choice, says a lot. I’d agree with Dorsey up there but I wouldn’t agree with Kevin Colbert of the Steelers being above CB. 

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure where Ballard ranks but he belongs in the top 5 IMO. Probably not a long enough track record for top 3.

It may be coaching over the GM aspect for the Pats but you can’t deny that team has a very high level track record of success in the nfl so yeah, he gets the nod at #1 until they start falling off the top of the hill. Quite an amazing run in a salary cap era. Much like back in the pre cap era when it was either San Fran, Dallas or??? 

CB is one hot draft away from moving into top 3-5 GM’s imho. Super bowl win accelerates that into top 2 

25 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

NO WAY I’d put Roseman over Ballard. He’s hit on some draft picks but missed on more. He trades picks for rentals and has used up his salary cap. 

Ballard>Roseman, and it’s not even close

https://94wip.radio.com/blogs/eliot-shorr-parks/howie-rosemans-poor-use-draft-picks-catching-eagles

Win a SB or at least get into one and you climb over those guys. You get credit for building teams that make it that far. Every GM hits and misses with picks and FA guys. Those who realize and adapts and helps their team reach the SB with the right mix gets points for that. CB is on his way towards that goal. Be patient grasshopper :thmup:

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Wait was Dorsey the GM at KC?  I thought he was just a guy under the GM there.  

52 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Dorsey was the GM until summer of 2017.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

It may be coaching over the GM aspect for the Pats but you can’t deny that team has a very high level track record of success in the nfl so yeah, he gets the nod at #1 until they start falling off the top of the hill.

It's interesting that you bring that up because I think Belichick is a much better coach than GM.

Yes, he's good at utilizing free agency and signing veterans to team-friendly deals, but the Pats recent drafts are not really that impressive.  2017 was a real stinker.

But Belichick is the best at getting the most out of his players.  Best coach in the league, any league, maybe ever, but I don't think he's the best GM.  :2c:

Isn’t it funny the ones ranked high don’t really go out and splurge on all these FA.

I guess 8 seems about right.    At first I thought he should be in the top 5, but the longevity isn't there.   He could have another great draft, or he could have a crappy draft.   I think he'll do fine.   But you never know.  

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Dorsey was the GM....   (until he got fired)    Ballard was the guy just under the GM.

Dorsey and Ballard are tight.

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

It's interesting that you bring that up because I think Belichick is a much better coach than GM.

Yes, he's good at utilizing free agency and signing veterans to team-friendly deals, but the Pats recent drafts are not really that impressive.  2017 was a real stinker.

But Belichick is the best at getting the most out of his players.  Best coach in the league, any league, maybe ever, but I don't think he's the best GM.  :2c:

Very true.  Also you have to wonder if those vets that he signs to team friendly deals would work out with a different coach.  He seems to have an ability as coach to usually (not always) keep other team's problem children in line.  

If Belichick moved to just the front office and wasn't dealing with the players on a day to day basis, would the new coach be able to have the same ability to keep everyone in line?

On 4/23/2019 at 11:09 AM, NewColtsFan said:

What exactly did KC win under Dorsey??

and Believeland looking like dreamteam 2.0

On 4/22/2019 at 9:09 PM, NewColtsFan said:

didn't dorsey get run out of KC for screwing their cap and being an xxxhole?

i wouldn't say he built KC. IIRC... The year he left, KC took a new QB in the draft, cleaned house, and went from like 20s in total O to top 5. The rumor was Reid was calling the shots of the 2017 draft before Dorsey was fired in June.

yes he has cleveland exicted, but they are also spending. let's see how they look in 3-5 years.

On 4/23/2019 at 10:23 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Isn’t it funny the ones ranked high don’t really go out and splurge on all these FA.

the patriots do spend some money in free agency, its not always the top names but they have been known to go after those at times too.  they have also traded for guys like Moss and Gilmore and then paid them a bunch of money

6 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

didn't dorsey get run out of KC for screwing their cap and being an xxxhole?

i wouldn't say he built KC. IIRC... The year he left, KC took a new QB in the draft, cleaned house, and went from like 20s in total O to top 5. The rumor was Reid was calling the shots of the 2017 draft before Dorsey was fired in June.

yes he has cleveland exicted, but they are also spending. let's see how they look in 3-5 years.

In terms of ranking the GM’s, we are looking at the here and now, not past history of 2-5 years back really. Everything is what have you done for me currently for the top GM spots. Hell, Grigson was GM of year once, let that sink in. It’s quite possible that CB follows the same path as well but his actions so far wouldn’t indicate he is an egomaniac like Grigs was. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

In terms of ranking the GM’s, we are looking at the here and now, not past history of 2-5 years back really. Everything is what have you done for me currently for the top GM spots. Hell, Grigson was GM of year once, let that sink in. It’s quite possible that CB follows the same path as well but his actions so far wouldn’t indicate he is an egomaniac like Grigs was. 

just looked closer, and Dorsey had the biggest jump up the ratings (13 spots).

wonder how long BB has been #1 lol

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

just looked closer, and Dorsey had the biggest jump up the ratings (13 spots).

wonder how long BB has been #1 lol

Probably awhile. And when you are always in the SB or AFC championship games, you are gonna be #1 because whatever you’re doing is working, be it great coaching or great GM work, as the GM, you get credit for building the team and blame for failure. 

1 minute ago, Jdubu said:

Probably awhile. And when you are always in the SB or AFC championship games, you are gonna be #1 because whatever you’re doing is working, be it great coaching or great GM work, as the GM, you get credit for building the team and blame for failure. 

i'd love to see ranking based on 5 and 10 year sample sizes. 

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

i'd love to see ranking based on 5 and 10 year sample sizes. 

How many GM’s have that type of longevity? I’d say a 3 yr sample is what you get judged off of. If you can’t make 3 years, you never deserved a shot at top half GM anyways 

5 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

How many GM’s have that type of longevity? I’d say a 3 yr sample is what you get judged off of. If you can’t make 3 years, you never deserved a shot at top half GM anyways 

That's an interesting point, but there are lots of GMs that have been around more than 5 years. They might have jumped teams (like Dorsey), but still have years in the role. I agree if you couldn't hack 3 years, you should get graded. 

Any GM can come in and have one good draft, and spend a lot in FA. Dorsey put KC in bad financial shape, and got booted. He also was releasing players via email lol. He went to the Browns, drafted a good QB, and has spent some good coin. It will be interesting to see what their financials look like in 3-5 years.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

That's an interesting point, but there are lots of GMs that have been around more than 5 years. They might have jumped teams (like Dorsey), but still have years in the role. I agree if you couldn't hack 3 years, you should get graded. 

Any GM can come in and have one good draft, and spend a lot in FA. Dorsey put KC in bad financial shape, and got booted. He also was releasing players via email lol. He went to the Browns, drafted a good QB, and has spent some good coin. It will be interesting to see what their financials look like in 3-5 years.

You have a singularly unique viewpoint.

If only the real world was as black and white as you seem to think it is....

If only....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

You have a singularly unique viewpoint.

If only the real world was as black and white as you seem to think it is....

If only....

Fact - Dorsey put KC in a hole from a cap perspective

Fact - Dorsey told Maclin via email that he was being released. 

Fact - Dorsey was fired from KC

Fact - KC went from ranked in the 20s offensively to the top 5 immediately after Dorsey was fired

Simply put, Dorsey didn't work out in KC.

And firing someone via email is just *ic and cowardly. That is black and white.