Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eight Players

“There’s about 8 players that we currently have that’s clustered in that we’ll consider. Some of them will be gone. We hope all 8 aren’t gone, but if that happens, we’ll be ready for it. But we’re pretty confident one will be there.” -- Chris Ballard

Ok, forum buddies.  Who are the eight players?

Ready, set, GO!

• Like 1

Christian Wilkins

Montez Sweat

Brian Burns

T.J Hockenson

Jerry Tillery

DeAndre Baker

A.J Brown

Dre'Mont Jones.

It will be easy to disprove any of them if the colts havent interviewed with any of them. He said any player he will draft in the first atleast the colts have already met with 

3 hours ago, FalseStart said:

1. Wilkins

2. Simmons

3. Lawrence

4. Williams

5. Murphy

6. Bush

7. Hockenson 

8. AJ Brown

As in Quinnen Williams? Not .0000001% chance at all.  Waaaaay to much draft capital to give up imho. 

I highly doubt that Ballard doesn't have at least one o-lineman, maybe two. I would be surprised if one of Ford or Risner are not part of that 8. 

3 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

As in Quinnen Williams? Not .0000001% chance at all.  Waaaaay to much draft capital to give up imho. 

I thought they meant Jonah...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

We have no idea where his 8 player list begins ie. does it include obvious top 10 guys or not?  He conveyed no information whatsoever in that statement nor did he intend to.

I’d assume he has a list aside that are considered no chance to get and are considered elite but if they fell, you go pull from that list and then get back on your normal board. Who knows. 

12 hours ago, twfish said:

Christian Wilkins

Montez Sweat

Brian Burns

T.J Hockenson

Jerry Tillery

DeAndre Baker

A.J Brown

Dre'Mont Jones.

It will be easy to disprove any of them if the colts havent interviewed with any of them. He said any player he will draft in the first atleast the colts have already met with 

I did not think about that but that is correct.  One can assume that the 8 guys he has in mind are guys that he's interviewed and projected to go in the first couple rounds.  

Walterfootball's list of guys Indy has talked to is

Curtis Akins, ILB, Memphis (PRO)

Dakota Allen, ILB, Texas Tech (PRO)

Ben Banogu, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, TCU (PRO)

A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss (COM)

Brian Burns, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida State (PRO)

Jonathan Crawford, S, Indiana (LOC)

Kano Dillon, TE, Oregon (EW)

Jaylon Ferguson, DE/3-4OLB, Louisiana Tech (PRI)

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, CB/S, Florida (PRI)

Rashan Gary, DE/3-4DE, Michigan (PRO)

Tim Harris, CB, Virginia (PRI)

Karan Higdon, RB, Michigan (PRI)

Josh Jacobs, RB, Alabama (PRI)

Drew Lewis, ILB, Colorado (PRI)

Chris Lindstrom, G, Boston College (WOR)

Josh Miller, CB, Ball State (WOR)

Donald Parham, TE, Stetson (PRI)

Justin Phillips, ILB, Oklahoma State (PRO)

Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls (PRI)

Ryan Pope, OT, San Diego State (WOR)

Derick Roberson, DE, Sam Houston State (EW)

Miles Sanders, RB, Penn State (WOR)

Darnell Savage, S, Maryland (PRI)

Jeffery Simmons^, DT/3-4DE, Mississippi State (PRO, PRI)

Matt Sokol, TE, Michigan State (EW)

Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M (COM)

Jerry Tillery, DT/3-4DE/NT, Notre Dame (PRI)

Mike Weber, RB, Ohio State (PRI)

Isaiah Wharton, CB, Rutgers (PRO)

Kevin Wilkins, DT, Rutgers (EW)

Jordan Wyatt, CB, SMU (EW)

I can't say I know that is a complete list and obviously not all of those guys are 1st round prospects.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, twfish said:

{snip}

This includes the combine and also pro days, not just bringing them in.

BTW, Sweat could easily be a guy to fall, but do Indy team doctors feel they can mange his medical issues?

"One NFL scout has recently discovered that Sweat’s team medicals have been especially bad.

According to Bleacher Report NFL scout Matt Miller, Sweat’s stock has practically bottomed out as a result of his team medicals. Per the report, several teams have taken him off their board entirely. Miller concluded that Sweat could fall out of the first round altogether."

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I’d assume he has a list aside that are considered no chance to get and are considered elite but if they fell, you go pull from that list and then get back on your normal board. Who knows. 

They have a board of their top 175 (or so) that includes the 'elite players'.  It's easy to take their names off the board as they are called and place them on another board as 'taken players', sorted by team, round, and position.  Any elites not taken stand out on you board, you don't even have to look at other lists/boards.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

This includes the combine and also pro days, not just bringing them in.

BTW, Sweat could easily be a guy to fall, but do Indy team doctors feel they can mange his medical issues?

"One NFL scout has recently discovered that Sweat’s team medicals have been especially bad.

According to Bleacher Report NFL scout Matt Miller, Sweat’s stock has practically bottomed out as a result of his team medicals. Per the report, several teams have taken him off their board entirely. Miller concluded that Sweat could fall out of the first round altogether."

They have a board of their top 175 (or so) that includes the 'elite players'.  It's easy to take their names off the board as they are called and place them on another board as 'taken players', sorted by team, round, and position.  Any elites not taken stand out on you board, you don't even have to look at other lists/boards.

You’re most likely correct. I thought it could be that way as well. Just thought maybe they could add a twist to the board of these are the elite guys we identified but expect to be gone. If by some chance any of these are left (Hooker for example) we switch to this board and pick. I’ll admit, 1 board with all players would be easier to just mark off players as they are picked. 

50 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

In order, at 26

Burns

Simmons

Wilkins

Ferrell 

Lawrence

Tillery

Abrams

Lindstrom 

I really like this group, with one exception. I would move Simmons out and put AJ Brown in his place. If Simmons is there at 34, that’s the time to grab him. Reduces some of the risk by not blowing  a #1 Pick on an injured player who doesn’t come back 100%. I think he’ll be there at 34. And this team needs playmakers at WR. Brown would be a perfect and impactful fit. 

32 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I really like this group, with one exception. I would move Simmons out and put AJ Brown in his place. If Simmons is there at 34, that’s the time to grab him. Reduces some of the risk by not blowing  a #1 Pick on an injured player who doesn’t come back 100%. I think he’ll be there at 34. And this team needs playmakers at WR. Brown would be a perfect and impactful fit. 

Ultimately you may be right

The initial reports on Simmons is that he will be back to 100%. This is a top 10 player (Some say better)...... if he is available at 26, you almost HAVE to take him.... IMHO.... he IS BPA at 26

Simmons is a Pro Bowl candidate for the next 10-14 years.  What he does in year one is less important....  I believe that CB is a do it right, for the long term, kind of person.   This is why Clark is NOT wearing a horseshoe

No short term fixes

Simmons would seem to be someone who would be grabbed by New England, Seattle, or even the Rams, before we pick at 34.  

I am leaning more and more toward waiting until round 3 to look at WR (or 59)

I think one of Risner, McGary, or Little would be available at 34.......  I cant see us NOT getting an OL pick in one of the picks on day two

It could go DL, OL, then SS with first 3 picks

IF the Colts LOVE Isabella, (or Boyken) they trade up to early 3rd and get them

I think the build the lines MANTRA that gets repeated again and again will drive the choices

From the CB press conference:

» The Colts addressed their major positions of need in free agency, but will continue chipping away after the draft: Entering the offseason, the Colts seemed to have pass rush and wide receiver as two of their more immediate major areas of need. A couple months later, the team signed defensive end Justin Houston and wide receiver Devin Funchess — free agent acquisitions that Ballard says “takes a little pressure” off Indy in those areas. But, as Ballard continues to say, his staff will continue looking for the best outside options beyond the immediate free agency period and the draft, including free agents still available to be signed down the road, as well as those made available during the final cutdown day just before the start of the regular season.

I think that in CBs mind that he doesnt have the holes that he had before. There will be FAs and trade opptys that should present themselves that would allow a good team to improve.

The draft will be gravy on top of the current improved team.

IMHO, thats why he goes for Simmons, thats why he goes OL with 34 (or 59)

I believe that we still have a need at  WR, but........  I believe we can still get a WR in round 3 that can improve a good receiving core

12 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Ultimately you may be right

The initial reports on Simmons is that he will be back to 100%. This is a top 10 player (Some say better)...... if he is available at 26, you almost HAVE to take him.... IMHO.... he IS BPA at 26

Simmons is a Pro Bowl candidate for the next 10-14 years.  What he does in year one is less important....  I believe that CB is a do it right, for the long term, kind of person.   This is why Clark is NOT wearing a horseshoe

No short term fixes

Simmons would seem to be someone who would be grabbed by New England, Seattle, or even the Rams, before we pick at 34.  

I am leaning more and more toward waiting until round 3 to look at WR (or 59)

I think one of Risner, McGary, or Little would be available at 34.......  I cant see us NOT getting an OL pick in one of the picks on day two

It could go DL, OL, then SS with first 3 picks

IF the Colts LOVE Isabella, (or Boyken) they trade up to early 3rd and get them

I think the build the lines MANTRA that gets repeated again and again will drive the choices

I agree there will be D and O linemen picked early. McGary is one to watch Day 2 given Mudd’s infatuation with the guy. But I’ll stick with my take: AJ Brown and Simmons. That would be a great 1-2 punch to start the draft. If it’s Simmons and McGary, I’ll be more than fine with that too. The next few days will be fun. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I can almost gaurantee Ballard’s top eight is way different then we think.

I doubt it’s “way different” but I’m sure there are a couple of players no one believes will go in the 1st round. Maybe an O lineman or a Safety. There will be some names we are familiar with as well. 

Brian Burns

Christian Wilkins

Clelin Ferrell

Dexter Lawrence

Jeffery Simmons

Jerry Tillery

Amani Oruwariye

Dalton Risner

I would not be surprised or disappointed if the pick turns out to be Risner. He has many of the same nasty attributes on the field as Big Q, and also a great kid off the field and in the locker room. 

My guess is their 8 are guys they realistically think could be there.

Brian Burns

Rashan Gary

Ferrell

Wilkins

Tillery

AJ Brown

Abrams

Lawrence

And for 34 if none of the above don't drop

Simmons

CGJ

Savage