Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Evan Boehm signs tender

CR91

With Boehm signing his tender, not only the starting 5, but the depth also is pretty much set for 2019. Boehm, Haeg, Webb, Clark are all decent backups. Plus there's Antonio Garcia, who, before his health issue, seemed to be a lock as the Patriots future LT, a really promising prospect. He's here and looks to be healthy now. Ballard signed him for 2 years, not just one, so I think he is counting on him. Josh Andrews and Poehls are already over the 10 which they will bring in to the final 53, altough they are also OK backup options.

So, unless there will be someone falling big time, I don't see an OL be drafted in the first 2 days of the upcoming draft. Maybe a late rounder or a couple of UDFA-s to compete for the last roster spot(s).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

With Boehm signing his tender, not only the starting 5, but the depth also is pretty much set for 2019. Boehm, Haeg, Webb, Clark are all decent backups. Plus there's Antonio Garcia, who, before his health issue, seemed to be a lock as the Patriots future LT, a really promising prospect. He's here and looks to be healthy now. Ballard signed him for 2 years, not just one, so I think he is counting on him. Josh Andrews and Poehls are already over the 10 which they will bring in to the final 53, altough they are also OK backup options.

So, unless there will be someone falling big time, I don't see an OL be drafted in the first 2 days of the upcoming draft. Maybe a late rounder or a couple of UDFA-s to compete for the last roster spot(s).

I forgot all about García. If he can stay healthy he has tons of potential.  If they’re honest about the size listed on the Colts roster, then he put the weight back on.

Nothing personal against Clark, but I’m hoping the depth is so good that he gets beat out.  

4 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I don't think him signing a 2 year deal is significant of anything . Almost all of the similar deals were for 2 years.

19 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

More important than people realize to have him back with Kelly's injury history. 

Yeah Kelly always seems to be nicked up and missing games here and there.  Hasn't had a major injury that sidelined him for the season yet.  But has had several injuries that have him out for 1 to 4 games at a time.

On 4/22/2019 at 9:43 PM, dw49 said:

I don't think him signing a 2 year deal is significant of anything . Almost all of the similar deals were for 2 years.

He signed Garcia and Ward to 2 year deals last year. That's it when it comes to the street free agents picked up during the season.

They will prove to be extremely valuable this year (and beyond perhaps).

1 minute ago, Scott Pennock said:

He signed Garcia and Ward to 2 year deals last year. That's it when it comes to the street free agents picked up during the season.

They will prove to be extremely valuable this year (and beyond perhaps).

I guess I still don't get the significance , nor do I totally understand the point you are making. Without going back to his contract , I'm sure Garcia has no guaranteed money , so how does that mean Ballard had "plans for him."  It's just good business to sign guys like that to 2 year deals in the event they pan out ... no ? Why not sign him to that deal rather than a 1 year deal ?

I'm not saying he has no chance and I hope he kills it. But fact is the Jets had cut him and there is nothing evident to prove he was highly sought after.

On 4/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Yeah Kelly always seems to be nicked up and missing games here and there.  Hasn't had a major injury that sidelined him for the season yet.  But has had several injuries that have him out for 1 to 4 games at a time.

If he has another year of missing 1 to 4 games, chances are, we may deem him injury prone. :) 

But then Bob Sanders was injury prone too but made a difference when he was there.

9 hours ago, dw49 said:

I guess I still don't get the significance , nor do I totally understand the point you are making. Without going back to his contract , I'm sure Garcia has no guaranteed money , so how does that mean Ballard had "plans for him."  It's just good business to sign guys like that to 2 year deals in the event they pan out ... no ? Why not sign him to that deal rather than a 1 year deal ?

I'm not saying he has no chance and I hope he kills it. But fact is the Jets had cut him and there is nothing evident to prove he was highly sought after.

Boehm was only signed to a one year deal and yet he played significant snaps.

Garcia was the 4th rated tackle in the draft in 2017 so bringing him in on a two year deal to learn, gain more strength, and clean up technique on the PS was done with a plan I'm sure.

He was drafted to be the heir apparent for Nate Solder and was talented enough to do so in many peoples eyes.....so yes, I see parallels to our current situation.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:48 AM, Valpo2004 said:

True, but Kelly is a difference maker on that line though. We are a much better running team when Kelly is on the field. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1