Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Officially Turns Down ESPN for MNF...

NewColtsFan

17 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It would have really surprised me if he would have accepted the invitation.

As much as his fans would like to see him in any capacity I don't think he is interested.

Maybe in the future but it's not like he needs a job or money.

I really think he's going to kind of watch his kids grow up before he really gets back out there in some sort of full time job capacity.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

He's a doofus and an even bigger doofus on camera. Same goes with Rob

Agreed, he wouldn't do well.  

There is also the fact that he never really won much as a head coach.  Some faults as a media personality could be overlooked if you have a head coach who won a lot and won a championship as a head coach.  

But not only did Rex never win a championship as a head coach, he has an overall losing record as a head coach.  All he has are a couple good seasons here and there accompanied by some mediocre and lousy seasons.  

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Can you imagine Belichick in the booth?

"Incomplete.  We're on to 4th down."

Bill-Belichick-gives-all-time-look-when-

Funny although realistically I think he could get a job as one of the analysts behind the desk if he wanted to.  Although I'm not really all that certain that he would want to.  

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if once he was tired of coaching if he didn't just drop the coach label and limit himself to being just the GM.  

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if once he was tired of coaching if he didn't just drop the coach label and limit himself to being just the GM.

I mentioned this in another thread.  I just don't think he's that great of a GM.  When it comes to drafting anyway.  He's good at using free agency to sign quality vets to team-friendly contracts.

But I'm sure any team would want him as their GM.  (Except the Colts, we're good.  haha)

43 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I mentioned this in another thread.  I just don't think he's that great of a GM.  When it comes to drafting anyway.  He's good at using free agency to sign quality vets to team-friendly contracts.

But I'm sure any team would want him as their GM.  (Except the Colts, we're good.  haha)

Off subject but I always found it ironic that Polian become exactly what he disliked when he was a GM. :thinking:

42 minutes ago, 18to87 said:

With the Colts under control for the foreseeable future with Ballard, I wonder if Peyton is happy to wait for Elway to hang them up?

With the power struggle over the Bronco's it was stupid of Elway not to take part ownership back in 1998 when Bowlen offered it to him.

I know Elway is a legend in Denver but when Peyton retired they were ill prepared.

They are 20-28 since Peyton retired. 3rd, 4th and 3rd in their division.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With the power struggle over the Bronco's it was stupid of Elway not to take part ownership back in 1998 when Bowlen offered it to him.

I know Elway is a legend in Denver but when Peyton retired they were ill prepared.

They are 20-28 since Peyton retired. 3rd, 4th and 3rd in their division.

I think he made the right choice....to be GM...

2 Super Bowls and the franchise is in top shape

The Bowlen family is always going to run the Broncos..(for the forseeable future) much like the Halas family with the Bears.

They're not even half talking about selling any kind of serious control.

..a minority stake of an NFL team is an investment but its not control

• 3 weeks later...

If anything...Peyton Manning would be ideal as an Offensive Coordinator more so than as a GM/front office gig.  He would also be great in the media as an analyst or talking head if he really wanted to do that.  He has the analytical mind and personality for all that.  However, I think right now he is just happy to be spending more time with his family.  Fans want him back in the lime light or involved with the franchise in a major way but he appears to be content where he is for now.  

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 5:44 PM, shakedownstreet said:

He's a doofus and an even bigger doofus on camera. Same goes with Rob

lol  when I first read this, I thought you were talking about Peyton.  haha   And I was gonna :trout: 

However, he is kind of a doofus on camera  in commercials (on purpose).  He's our loveable doofus.  :heart: 

I do think he would do a great job on MNF, or any broadcasting, but I understand him not wanting to.