Jump to content
Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!
Chloe6124

Ballard Predraft press conference 12pm

Recommended Posts

Meh probably not going to tell us much we don't already know.  

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard has a 12 pm press conference today. I can’t wait.

Thanks Chloe. You are like my Colts internet secretary! haha Appreciate the thread letting us know. I'll check it out today! :thmup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And here's my thoughts and conjectures:

-if a player from the top 15 doesn't drop to 26, IMO there is a good chance we try to move down. Seems like Ballard would love to have more picks in the 2nd and 3d rounds than one pick at 26

-EXPECT surprising picks... a player who media has ranked as 3d-4th rounder might be taken by Ballard at 26... or 34? Similar to how Darius Leonard pick went. 

-OL is an option ... relatively early too IMO... if one of the premier OTs drop... I wouldn't be shocked if we picked him at 26. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

-we have some guys that have character risk, but we are comfortable with them. "Anybody that's up there[on the board], we are willing to take"

 

 

This point sticks out with me the most. Could mean Simmons, Tillery, or players like this will be in that 'cluster' of players Ballard is willing to pull the trigger on at #26.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t expect to see a trade down. There are so many teams talking about it this year, and just like Ballard said, the depth at the top isn’t there. It’s not a seller’s market to trade down this year. Probably only going to be one or two deals worth moving down for, and they’re all long gone at 26. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested who this "cluster of 6 to 8 players" we might be considering. My guess (based on interest we've shown):

 

Johnathan Abram

Brian Burns

Jerry Tillery

Dexter Lawrence

Jeffrey Simmons

Josh Jacobs

(possible bold predictions): Chris Lindstrom or Darnell Savage

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, stitches said:

Some things that made impression on me:

-Ballard doesn't think the depth at the top of the draft is as good this year as it was last year

-After about top 12-15... it's all about flavor and what you like and prefer for your system and less about huge differences in quality. 15 to 70 is a huge cluster of similarly rated players... 

-Our draft board is DIFFERENT than what he's seen in the media and draft experts. Note from me -EXPECT surprising picks... a player who media has ranked as 3d-4th rounder might be taken by Ballard at 26... or 34? Similar to how Darius Leonard pick went. 

-Even if a severe need is not filled, we still have time, it doesn't have to filled in the draft. We have more FA, cut down day, trades, etc.

-People are too quick to judge and lack patience with the young players. Give the young players/rookies time to develop. Have confidence in your process to develop players.

-we will have between 160 and 180 players on the board when it's all said and done. We filter out players that don't fit be it from schematic stand point, athletic stand point, character stand point, etc... filter them out. It takes discipline on draft day. 

-we have some guys that have character risk, but we are comfortable with them. "Anybody that's up there[on the board], we are willing to take"

-Scouting world is flat now. Not many true sleepers and hidden gems... they are going high nowadays in the draft. 

-Last year we had good sense of how the 1st round would go... now it's more unpredictable. It's about flavor of what you prefer. 

-We have a cluster of 6-to-8 players that we will consider at 26. Hopefully some of them are there, but if none of them are there we still have a plan to proceed(My note: maybe trade down?) 

-can't talk to enough people and you can't do enough digging on players... even the seemingly clean ones. 

-Ballard and Reich are in constant communication and will continue to meet several times before the draft. They are on the same page about the draft and who we are considering and who we are not

-we like AC,without a question we like AC. We go year to year... we cannot force it. We cannot take a tackle and think this guy is AC's replacement. We cannot do that. 

-you cannot have enough good offensive linemen

The bolded is what intrigued me. I expect a lot of "reaches" this year, and I remember seeing a lot of combine and pro-day standouts in the last few years go on day 2 and early day 3. Ballard will probably have a specific set of players he likes, and I'll trust him more this year if he "reaches", especially based on the interview. He's giving you all the test answers right here, don't be surprised when they come up during the draft.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, stitches said:

And here's my thoughts and conjectures:

-if a player from the top 15 doesn't drop to 26, IMO there is a good chance we try to move down. Seems like Ballard would love to have more picks in the 2nd and 3d rounds than one pick at 26

-EXPECT surprising picks... a player who media has ranked as 3d-4th rounder might be taken by Ballard at 26... or 34? Similar to how Darius Leonard pick went. 

-OL is an option ... relatively early too IMO... if one of the premier OTs drop... I wouldn't be shocked if we picked him at 26. 

I'm thinking the opposite, I'm thinking we may see the Colts move up, it'd be costly though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

I'm interested who this "cluster of 6 to 8 players" we might be considering. My guess (based on interest we've shown):

 

Johnathan Abram

Brian Burns

Jerry Tillery

Dexter Lawrence

Jeffrey Simmons

Josh Jacobs

(possible bold predictions): Chris Lindstrom or Darnell Savage

I 100% agree and would add Kaleb McGary to that list.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

 

This point sticks out with me the most. Could mean Simmons, Tillery, or players like this will be in that 'cluster' of players Ballard is willing to pull the trigger on at #26.

What character concerns does Tillery have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What character concerns does Tillery have?

Too smart and 'worldly'... Might have actually read some books while in college. NFL teams cannot have that. Might read about CTE in some book and decide he doesn't want to play football anymore. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

What character concerns does Tillery have?

I think Teams are worried he might quit football to pursue other interests. That he doesn’t eat and breathe football.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to think Ben Banogu is a DE they may have rated a lot higher on their board than some teams....

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

-EXPECT surprising picks... a player who media has ranked as 3d-4th rounder might be taken by Ballard at 26... or 34? Similar to how Darius Leonard pick went. 


Yeah this is the sense I've been getting in the last couple weeks, since Holder relayed what Ballard said about the talent from the mid 1st to the top of the 3rd round. It almost seemed like a telegraphed quote to warn fans/media, like hey, people might be pretty shocked at our picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

I'm interested who this "cluster of 6 to 8 players" we might be considering. My guess (based on interest we've shown):

 

Johnathan Abram

Brian Burns

Jerry Tillery

Dexter Lawrence

Jeffrey Simmons

Josh Jacobs

(possible bold predictions): Chris Lindstrom or Darnell Savage

I don't think Lawrence is a fit for this D.  However, maybe they want to take it in a different direction.  One huge monster at NT to occupy 2 O linemen.  Then let the other 3 D linemen wreck havoc. Would remind me when we had Cory Simon and he was over weight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been preparing to hear some unexpected names with our first 3 picks, if we stay there, but I still think I'll be surprised at some of them.

Some potential surprises IMO could be McLaurin or Banogu (who I admittedly don't like much) in the early/late 2nd. Or Jacobs at #26, which I'd also not be very high on. And those are just ones that would kind of surprise me. I fully expect an out of left field pick at either 26, 34, or 59.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MTC said:

Love Ballard's tease at the end.

 

"I'll see you all Thursday... or maybe not, maybe Friday".

Lol, yeah he's got a great sense of humor I like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I've been preparing to hear some unexpected names with our first 3 picks, if we stay there, but I still think I'll be surprised at some of them.

Some potential surprises IMO could be McLaurin or Banogu (who I admittedly don't like much) in the early/late 2nd. Or Jacobs at #26, which I'd also not be very high on. And those are just ones that would kind of surprise me. I fully expect an out of left field pick at either 26, 34, or 59.

The question I wish they would have asked Ballard was. if you feel 1 of those 6 to 8 could still be at 34 would you consider moving back for more picks? I bet he would without question.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Too smart and 'worldly'... Might have actually read some books while in college. NFL teams cannot have that. Might read about CTE in some book and decide he doesn't want to play football anymore. 

 

My biggest concern with Tillery is that he didn't have a single tipped pass in his entire career at Notre Dame. It probably seems like a small thing, but it's a trait that separates good interior d-line players from great ones at the NFL level. By comparison, Christian Wilkins had 15 throughout his college tenure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The question I wish they would have asked Ballard was. if you feel 1 of those 6 to 8 could still be at 34 would you consider moving back for more picks? I bet he would without question.   

I'm just gonna say this, this may very well be the weakest 1st round draft pool, maybe weakest overall draft in the last 2 decades.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm just gonna say this, this may very well be the weakest 1st round draft pool, maybe weakest overall draft in the last 2 decades.

I think 2013 is still one of the worst in recent memory. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm just gonna say this, this may very well be the weakest 1st round draft pool, maybe weakest overall draft in the last 2 decades.

Yeah, I was saying when 24 or 25 pick comes up and still a few of there 6 to 8 is still available and the opportunity arises I can definitely see him moving back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

I think 2013 is still one of the worst in recent memory. 

It is.  But this draft class has that same feel going in.  There will be a few solid players, but I think you're looking at a class with a lack of star potential.  Solid players, yes, super studs, no.  Especially offensively.  I hope I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, superrep1967 said:

Yeah, I was saying when 24 or 25 pick comes up and still a few of there 6 to 8 is still available and the opportunity arises I can definitely see him moving back. 

I don't think thats gonna happen.  Lots of teams reportedly are shopping that move back idea.  it takes two to make a trade and I don't see anyone that's jumping out worth trading up for in spot 26. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, csmopar said:

I don't think thats gonna happen.  Lots of teams reportedly are shopping that move back idea.  it takes two to make a trade and I don't see anyone that's jumping out worth trading up for in spot 26. 

You're probably right and that's what I was thinking. But if the opportunity arises he'll definitely do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, csmopar said:

It is.  But this draft class has that same feel going in.  There will be a few solid players, but I think you're looking at a class with a lack of star potential.  Solid players, yes, super studs, no.  Especially offensively.  I hope I'm wrong.

which is why i'm glad the Colts are picking towards the back AND have a high 2nd round pick. That's where they'll maximize their value...or package something to move up if one of their coveted players falls. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

which is why i'm glad the Colts are picking towards the back AND have a high 2nd round pick. That's where they'll maximize their value...or package something to move up if one of their coveted players falls. 

Agreed. I think the odds are we move up more than we move down this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

I'm interested who this "cluster of 6 to 8 players" we might be considering. My guess (based on interest we've shown):

 

Johnathan Abram

Brian Burns

Jerry Tillery

Dexter Lawrence

Jeffrey Simmons

Josh Jacobs

(possible bold predictions): Chris Lindstrom or Darnell Savage

Who do you think will still be there at 26?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

My biggest concern with Tillery is that he didn't have a single tipped pass in his entire career at Notre Dame. It probably seems like a small thing, but it's a trait that separates good interior d-line players from great ones at the NFL level. By comparison, Christian Wilkins had 15 throughout his college tenure.

Meh... This is not close to the top of things I care about with DTs... Quinnen has batted like... 2 passes in his career too. I posted a study yesterday that initially made a connection between batted passes in college to production in the league, but it turned out that pretty much all of the effect was due to JJ Watt and if you remove him from the sample there was no correlation between those. 

 

Would I rather he had 10 tipped passes? Sure... would it stop me from taking him? Not really... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Would I rather he had 10 tipped passes? Sure... would it stop me from taking him? Not really... 

 

I'm not suggesting that it makes him undraftable, but if we're talking about whether or not to use a first rounder on him, then absolutely I'd factor it in, especially if a guy like Wilkins is still on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

 

I'm not suggesting that it makes him undraftable, but if we're talking about whether or not to use a first rounder on him, then absolutely I'd factor it in, especially if a guy like Wilkins is still on the board.

I take Tillery easy over Wilkins. But that's just me... with or without tipped passes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stitches said:

I take Tillery easy over Wilkins. But that's just me... with or without tipped passes. 


I think I'd take Tillery too. This is a simplified take but I think Tillery is the higher ceiling guy while Wilkins is the higher floor/lower ceiling guy. Although I don't think Tillery's floor is that low.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • That sounds like what I say about Mets acquisitions. High-priced free agents from other teams often disappoint. That is why I prefer going with young, home-grown players. They seem to be more hungry and play better. It seems like when star players move on to other teams, they disappoint. I think Harper and Machado have not performed as well as was expected for $30 million+/year. But Mike Trout is still doing well with the Angels after signing that big contract.   I wonder what @Jay Kirk is thinking. He loves his Cardinals and is usually optimistic. This must be difficult for him to watch.
    • Is there a video of this we can watch? I really want something with Ebron on it but  going to wait and see if he stays here. I think I am going to get something with Moore’s number on it like a sweatshirt
    • By your son a neck beard hat with a 12 on it. he won't grow out of that as fast...
    • I didn't see a topic for this. If there is one, please feel free to merge.   On Tuesday, the NFL Network had their AFC South day, which aside from Darius Leonard being featured on Total Access, included the 30 minute season reviews for all 4 AFC South teams.   I've watched a couple times already and it's got me stoked for the next season. This episode really seemed to highlight Ebron and I can't say enough about how much love he shows for this team. My son has outgrown his size 2T Hilton jersey, and I think Ebron might be the next one I buy for him. Either that or Leonard, who is understandably featured a lot in this episode as well.   Last year was a hell of a thrill ride. I think, partially, because the expectations vs the reality was so different in a positive way.  This year should be just as thrilling, but only if we can keep the enthusiasm with the higher expectations. I, for one, am PUMPED!   Go Colts!
    • MVP hit HR #20 on the season as well. Glad to see Yu finally get a win at Wrigley. Brewers and Cards both won so it was much needed. 52-44 now on the season. We are still 2.5 ahead of the Brewers and 3 ahead of the Cards in the NL Central going into July 18th. I will take it. Cubs are off tomorrow.
  • Members

    • coltsva

      coltsva 920

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • hoosierhawk

      hoosierhawk 319

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • fahlman

      fahlman 4

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 1,842

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 382

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 1959Colts

      1959Colts 1,904

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • TonyBungee

      TonyBungee 190

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jskinnz

      jskinnz 5,193

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CheezyColt

      CheezyColt 633

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Irish YJ

      Irish YJ 768

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...