Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Final Week Notes and Rumors....

Thought perhaps we might turn this thread into a place where all the final tidbits and rumors could end up in one thread...

Here's what I've read/heard....

1.   Montez Sweat has been told he's slipping and has elected not to be at the draft.   He'll watch at home with family.    Tonight, I saw a story saying a number of teams are now too afraid of his heart condition and have removed him from their board.   But, as of now,  not all teams.   He might still go in R1,  but exactly when, no one seems to know.    Could he reach pick 26?     Maybe.    The next question is what are our doctors saying about him?

2.   Saw a story tonight saying Arizona has cooled on Kyler Murray.    Not exactly clear why.    One story was interest in Murray was to see if it would help drum up interest in ticket sales.    It hasn't.    Cards said to be eyeing Quinnen Williams.     (Note:  Selecting a #1 pick based on possible tix sales is a bad, BAD way to do business. 

3.   Daniel Jones appears to be a hot QB candidate.   A growing number of teams seem to like him.   They think they can win with his brains and toughness and how he's been taught on the pro level.

Please feel free to add what you like...   facts,  tidbits,  rumors,  etc.     

• Like 3

I’ve been hearing that the Raiders don’t trust their scouts to see their board because they don’t know who they can trust.  Adam Schefter reports this is quite normal in the league  because I’ve read that apparently some scouts are ones that leak these kinds of rumors.  As far as Jones, we know we every year QBs make a run in the 1st round so that’s possible he moves up.

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I’ve been hearing that the Raiders don’t trust their scouts to see their board because they don’t know who they can trust.  Adam Schefter reports this is quite normal in the league  because I’ve read that apparently some scouts are ones that leak these kinds of rumors.  As far as Jones, we know we every year QBs make a run in the 1st round so that’s possible he moves up.

It's not that the scouts can't be trusted. They've done their job and probably know too much. Give 'em a break, they've earned it.

3 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

It's not that the scouts can't be trusted. They've done their job and probably know too much. Give 'em a break, they've earned it.

Not that they'll leak information (but that can happen), but at some point second guessing raises its ugly head.

What I've heard on various podcasts I've listened to: 

1. Dane Brugler said on Josh Norris' podcast that Montez Sweat's heart condition is the SAME condition that Hurst had last year. There seems to be LESS worry about him for whatever reason(they said Hurst has had episodes of severe increase of heart rate in the pre-draft process, while Sweat never had that problem... also Hurst has family history with the same problem, while Sweat didn't), BUT another of Norris' guests(sorry don't remember who it was) said that 4 teams told him he's off their board, while Brugler said the teams he's talked to still have him... They both said it's worth noting that this is the lying season and it's possible teams are throwing smokescreens. Still... it's possible Sweat's fall has something to do with his heart condition.  

2. DeAndre Baker is interviewing REALLY bad with teams. Multiple teams coming out with reports that he's had horrible interviews with them. This was reported by Albert Breer on the MMQB podcast. 

3. Here's some Colts related buzz by Tony Pauline:

http://draftanalyst.com/earlier-we-think

Ben Banogu/Edge/TCU: Banogu followed up a terrific week of practice at the Senior Bowl with a strong workout at the combine and looked outstanding during his pro day. He’s an athletic defender with size, speed and growth potential, and teams love his versatility. The ability to rush the passer out of a three-point stance or standing over tackle has a large amount of the league interested in Banogu, and it’s the prime reason why he may end up in the second round. His official visit list includes the Pittsburgh Steelers, Denver Broncos, Miami Dolphins and Dallas Cowboys. The Indianapolis Colts and Seattle Seahawks currently have second-round interest in Banogu.

Ty Summers/LB/TCU: Summers has really flown under the radar outside of the scouting community despite outstanding workouts during the combine and pro day. His 40-yard dash time of 4.51 seconds was in the top third of linebackers at the combine, and it was an outstanding mark for a prospect who measures 6017 and 241 pounds. The versatility to be a run-and-chase linebacker on the inside and a coverage ‘backer on the outside is helping to push Summers up draft boards. Considered by most to be a late-round pick, it’s not out of the question that Summers lands in the fourth round. Three teams who have an early grade on Summers include the Indianapolis Colts, Tennessee Titans and Baltimore Ravens.

Darnell Savage/S/Maryland: We’ve documented Savage’s rise during our podcast multiple times, as the safety left the combine graded as a third-round pick but has now moved into the early part of Round 2. Why the furious move up draft boards? Teams believe Savage is a safety who can transition to cornerback in certain packages and most assuredly play over the slot receiver. His list of official visits included the Cleveland Browns, Los Angeles Rams, Carolina Panthers, Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Bucs. Based on sheer interest, the Los Angeles Chargers, Indianapolis Colts and Arizona Cardinals are leading the charge for Savage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

In Peter Kings FMIA column this morning he is hearing there is real competition to trade up for the only RB considered a first round pick, Josh Jacobs.  He mentioned three teams as being quite interested in Jacobs.  The Eagles, Colts and Raiders.   He also believes the Colts would be one of three teams that would trade for Clark.  The other two being the Chiefs or Jets.  But all the teams would have had to do their due diligence and believe his problems are in the past.  When we do draft he believes Ballard will draft his highest rated player on his board.  We knew that.  Interesting info though.  

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

What I've heard on various podcasts I've listened to: 

1. Dane Brugler said on Josh Norris' podcast that Montez Sweat's heart condition is the SAME condition that Hurst had last year. There seems to be LESS worry about him for whatever reason(they said Hurst has had episodes of severe increase of heart rate in the pre-draft process, while Sweat never had that problem... also Hurst has family history with the same problem, while Sweat didn't), BUT another of Norris' guests(sorry don't remember who it was) said that 4 teams told him he's off their board, while Brugler said the teams he's talked to still have him... They both said it's worth noting that this is the lying season and it's possible teams are throwing smokescreens. Still... it's possible Sweat's fall has something to do with his heart condition.  

2. DeAndre Baker is interviewing REALLY bad with teams. Multiple teams coming out with reports that he's had horrible interviews with them. This was reported by Albert Breer on the MMQB podcast. 

3. Here's some Colts related buzz by Tony Pauline:

http://draftanalyst.com/earlier-we-think

Savage is definitely a name to keep your eye on...especially for his versatility. He could be the pick at 34 depending on who else is available. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stitches said:

More on Sweat:

I think the question for many (all?) teams with Sweat will be this....

If he does indeed fall out of the first round, how far further down does he fall?

Is he off boards completely, or only off boards in the first round?

Would we take him at pick 34?    Or 59?     Or 89?

I've read his condition is NOT nearly as bad as Hurst's was last year.  

Clearly this is one to watch.....

I'm pulling for the kid,  but also pulling for the Colts....

On 4/23/2019 at 3:14 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think the question for many (all?) teams with Sweat will be this....

If he does indeed fall out of the first round, how far further down does he fall?

Is he off boards completely, or only off boards in the first round?

Would we take him at pick 34?    Or 59?     Or 89?

I've read his condition is NOT nearly as bad as Hurst's was last year.  

Clearly this is one to watch.....

I'm pulling for the kid,  but also pulling for the Colts....

What defensive end would be that much better than him at pick No.34 if he is there? I doubt you may find anyone better than him.

Compared to taking a chance on Jeffrey Simmons at No.26, I would prefer to take a chance on Sweat if he is there at No.34, given how the Maurice Hurst situation transpired. That was where the Cowboys took a chance on Jaylon Smith, at the top of the 2nd round. 

• Like 1