Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bryce Love's knee rehab

Per NFL.com, Bryce Love is having stiffness in his knee and it's causing some teams concern.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001027137/article/stanford-rb-loves-knee-stiffness-concerning-teams

Had Bryce Love entered the NFL just a year before, he could've been selected day 1, or day 2 of the draft. Now, it appears due to stiffness in his knee, there is some doubt that he may regain the speed that he once had. And for a guy like Love, who relied so much on his speed, this is a major concern. It's being projected that he may now be drafted in the 4th or 5th round, and most likely will start the year on the PUP, with a high likelihood that he may have to sit out the entire year to rehab.

Would you want to take a shot at such a dynamic player in the late 4th round knowing that he may possibly sit for a year? But when he returns, he could be similar to Jamal Charles or CJ2K - ish?

Not sure I see Love as Charles or CJ2K?

I see more Giavani Bernardi...   a quality RB2 in a committee.

If my doctors could give me any assurance that he should be good in 2020,  then I’d take a shot at him in the bottom of the 4th where we pick.

If the docs were less confident I’d wait until the 5th round...

The 2017 Bryce Love was something to behold.

• Like 2

I hate to see this. The kid ran his heart out for Stanford in 2017. He’s Leveon Bell on steroids as far as his importance to that team. Should have come out for the draft then. Stuck it out for the team in 2018 and was saddled with a diminished O line and 

diminished  overall talent and then got his draft status crushed by an ACL tear in their final game. If this isn’t a poster situation for doing what is best for yourself, I don’t know what is. He’s a big time talent and a great kid. I hope he heals and is able to pursue his dream, wherever that might lead him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Looks like it's just an ACL, no cartilage damage, no meniscus damage, no nerve damage... If that's the case, I'd take him with a mid round pick, and I'd be fine if he misses 2019 entirely.

My understanding is that there actually IS a small amount of cartilage damage.    And this may account for the recently reported knee stiffness.  

Not a good sign.

Hoping the docs will clear him to be drafted in R’s 4-5.  And I’m fine if he doesn’t play until 2020.   That’s what I’m expecting no matter which team drafts him.... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My understanding is that there actually IS a small amount of cartilage damage.    And this may account for the recently reported knee stiffness.  

Not a good sign.

Hoping the docs will clear him to be drafted in R’s 4-5.  And I’m fine if he doesn’t play until 2020.   That’s what I’m expecting no matter which team drafts him.... 

I haven't seen or heard that, but you would know better than me for sure. If they clear him and he sits for 2019, I'm not worried about a small amount of cartilage damage. Still not until after the 4th, or late 4th at the earliest. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not a good sign.

If it's small amount and they expect him to be able to play through his 1st contract I'm OK with it. IMO nowadays you should never draft a RB with the expectation that you will give him a second contract. He either will be real good and command massive contract, which I'm against giving to RBs or he will be easily replaceable through the draft. 

I'm with you here... 4th-5th rounder would be very good value for the potential game breaking ability you get from him... even if you have to wait a year for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I haven't seen or heard that, but you would know better than me for sure. If they clear him and he sits for 2019, I'm not worried about a small amount of cartilage damage. Still not until after the 4th, or late 4th at the earliest. 

I'm guessing it came from my Stanford website.   I just looked and didn't see it,  so I've posted a shoutout for help.    Someone eventually will come to my rescue.    I just don't know what the answer will be.    Am I having a senior moment?    Is my mind playing tricks with me?   Hope not.

But will soon find out....

On 4/19/2019 at 4:43 PM, Flash7 said:

Would you want to take a shot at such a dynamic player in the late 4th round knowing that he may possibly sit for a year?

Absolutely. I hope the Vikings select him although that is not likely. 

Love realizes that teams have concerns and his stock has dropped a lot from this time last year. He wrote an article encouraging teams to consider drafting him. 

The Players Tribune: Bryce Love

• Like 1