Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Non-QB Players forum fans do not want at No.26

chad72

Which non-QB players do you not want the Colts to draft at No.26?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Player choices

19 hours ago, NDcolt said:

Please sell me on IDL.  In today’s NFL, you have to score or prevent score so how is a DL @ 26 gonna help?  If he’s a Warren Sap clone then yes all for it but I don’t see a Warren Sapp available?  Clemson’s DL feasted on being more physical but please tell me that dominance forecasts to NFL?  Just don’t see DL or SS as a 1st rd grade in today’s game.  I will ask one more time, how many 3 and outs does it take before upgrading a bunch of misfits at the wr position!  Our best wr is a 4th rd pick, let me repeat that for the slower folk, our best wr is a 4th rd pick!  Marvin & Reggie say enough with the misfits and invest in real talent!  If CB fails again to address the most important position in a passing league then he is not the the answer!

I'd be plenty happy with Tillery at 26 and we could see others fall there as well. There will still be plenty of WRs from 34-59. I'm with you on the need to upgrade WR. I just think that the drop off after 26 at iDL will be much steeper than the WR drop off.

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm all about iDL day one. 34 or 59 is fine for WR. I'd absolutely love Isabella at 59 if he drops that far.

TY is our Alpha, but he's a Z. Just need someone on the other side that can separate in the middle and long. I'd even be fine with Boykin at 59. Big and fast, that uses his body very well.

Boykin at 59?????

Gil Brandt has him raked as the 100 best player in the draft.  

You're over obsessed with WR. 

16 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Boykin at 59?????

Gil Brandt has him raked as the 100 best player in the draft.  

You're over obsessed with WR. 

Like I said, I've got 2 of 3 D players in the first two days.

I think you're over obsessed with WR hate.

As far as Boykin is concerned, there's many WRs I like better. His draft stock has been all over the place, but most have him rising up the boards. I'm going to guess he goes 70s to low 80s.

As far as Brandt goes, there's plenty of his ratings I don't care for. Abrams and Tillery at 39 and 40? I'm not that high on Abrams, but guarantee Tillery doesn't last to 40. He's got Isabella at 79, JJ A-Whiteside 111. His CB and S ratings are pretty awful as well. 

Feel free to compare his ratings with the real draft and we can continue the conversation.

9 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Like I said, I've got 2 of 3 D players in the first two days.

I think you're over obsessed with WR hate.

As far as Boykin is concerned, there's many WRs I like better. His draft stock has been all over the place, but most have him rising up the boards. I'm going to guess he goes 70s to low 80s.

As far as Brandt goes, there's plenty of his ratings I don't care for. Abrams and Tillery at 39 and 40? I'm not that high on Abrams, but guarantee Tillery doesn't last to 40. He's got Isabella at 79, JJ A-Whiteside 111. His CB and S ratings are pretty awful as well. 

Feel free to compare his ratings with the real draft and we can continue the conversation.

He is ranking players not predicting where they will be drafted. 

2 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

He is ranking players not predicting where they will be drafted. 

You are the one that just used his ratings to comment on suggested draft placement.

Regardless, I disagree with many of his rankings. So do a lot of other big board stacks.

25 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

You are the one that just used his ratings to comment on suggested draft placement.

Regardless, I disagree with many of his rankings. So do a lot of other big board stacks.

Well. He has a very good history.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/looking-back-at-gil-brandts-2018-top-100-draft-prospect-rankings/

Of Brandt’s top 100 players in 2018, only 20 of them wound up being selected outside the top 100 selections for a 80% success rate. Last year, Brandt had 23 of his top 100 ranked players being selected outside the actual top 100 for a 77% success rate. The year prior to that, 2017, only 21 players that Brandt had ranked in his top 100 wound up being selected outside the top 100 selections, good for a 79% success rate. How’s that for consistency and accuracy when it comes to a top 100 pre-draft ranking list?

I am saying there is no way Ballard reaches for a player graded that low for a pick at 59.   I am sure you dont believe he would.  Obviously we dont know how Ballard has players graded.  But going on this ....  no way  and I doubt he would go even in the 4th 

And here is another ranking Boykin as the 17th best WR in the draft this yr and not even in the top100 overall

https://www.draftace.com/2019-wide-receivers/

35 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

And while were at it.   Draft Ace.  One of the sites you quoted some weeks ago as one of the better sited for predicting the draft doesnt have Indy taking a WR until our 4th pick at 89

https://www.draftace.com/team-by-team-mock-draft/

19 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Well. He has a very good history.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/04/looking-back-at-gil-brandts-2018-top-100-draft-prospect-rankings/

I am saying there is no way Ballard reaches for a player graded that low for a pick at 59.   I am sure you dont believe he would.  Obviously we dont know how Ballard has players graded.  But going on this ....  no way  and I doubt he would go even in the 4th 

And here is another ranking Boykin as the 17th best WR in the draft this yr and not even in the top100 overall

https://www.draftace.com/2019-wide-receivers/

Speaking of Brandt and what Ballard would or wouldn't do.... He rated Leonard 100th lol last year. We took him at 36. So Ballard actually reached much farther for Leonard than he would should he pick Boykin at 59. You kind of stepped in that one. That's a delta of 64 last year compared to 41 (at 59).

Like I said, there are a lot of other WRs I like better than Boykin. What I said was that I wouldn't be unhappy with him at 59. 

1 minute ago, DerekDiggler said:

And while were at it.   Draft Ace.  One of the sites you quoted some weeks ago as one of the better sited for predicting the draft doesnt have Indy taking a WR until our 4th pick at 89

https://www.draftace.com/team-by-team-mock-draft/

I don't recall quoting draft ace. I did post Mock ratings for the 100+ mock experts though.

All experts have opinions... the vast majority have WR in the top needs. If you look on Colts.com at Mock Mondays (I provided stats/counts last week), WR was the clear second biggest pick for 26 behind iDL (which is what I want first). 

The WR hate is strong with you

11 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I don't recall quoting draft ace. I did post Mock ratings for the 100+ mock experts though.

All experts have opinions... the vast majority OF FANS have WR in the top needs. If you look on Colts.com at Mock Mondays (I provided stats/counts last week), WR was the clear second biggest pick for 26 behind iDL (which is what I want first). 

The WR hate is strong with you

I bolded in your reply And Ballard can say it a million times but no one listens...He doesnt draft for NEED.  He drafts best player

I dont hate WR.  I just dont want anything to do with drafing one early.    Unless he is clearly the BPA.   Which I cant see happening until the later rounds.   I would hate to reach on a WR when there will be other players that are better.   Hell there could be RB's rated higher that the WR's we could get.....  

I have no idea what Ballard is going to do.  But I am about 86.79% sure it wont be a WR in the first 4 picks

On 4/20/2019 at 12:49 AM, DerekDiggler said:

Please lord no WR or RB in the first.   Don’t care  who they are.  Give me dline or online or strong safety.     I’m good with a MLB if he’s BPA.  

you are in good company....  but don't worry, this is a deep defensive first round, ballard will go defense... he'll get a steal in late rounds as far as more o-line players.  if someone that is a lock to be a great defensive pick above 26th, don't be surprised if ballard trades up 5 to 6 slots to get who he wants.  he doesn't seem like the type of GM who will do that, but he might have his eye on someone and if a team doesn't need that player...he could do some wheelin' and dealin'.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I bolded in your reply And Ballard can say it a million times but no one listens...He doesnt draft for NEED.  He drafts best player

I dont hate WR.  I just dont want anything to do with drafing one early.    Unless he is clearly the BPA.   Which I cant see happening until the later rounds.   I would hate to reach on a WR when there will be other players that are better.   Hell there could be RB's rated higher that the WR's we could get.....  

I have no idea what Ballard is going to do.  But I am about 86.79% sure it wont be a WR in the first 4 picks

you added "fans". i was referring to the "experts"

take a look at mock draft monday on Colts.com

WR is still the clear #2

https://www.colts.com/news/indianapolis-colts-2019-mock-draft-monday-april-22

as far as drafting on need, Ballard pretty much eluded to drafting on need (reaching a bit for smith) when a run at the position happened. smith was a another one where Brandt rated 64, and we took him at 37. 

as far as BPA goes, WR is probably the deepest position between 26 and 89..... so it's very possible WR is BPA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

as far as BPA goes, WR is probably the deepest position between 26 and 89..... so it's very possible WR is BPA.

I should add WR and secondary positions most likely will have the BPA on board at that time. 

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

yup. the drop off on iDL and Edge is steep after the 20s. 

plenty of very good value at WR, S, and CB in rounds 2 and 3. 

If Ballard can trade back into the second and get an extra 2 and 3 then I do think he might take an offensive skill player.  Whether it be WR, RB or TE with one of them.   

8 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

If Ballard can trade back into the second and get an extra 2 and 3 then I do think he might take an offensive skill player.  Whether it be WR, RB or TE with one of them.   

i could see him trading up more than trading back this year. 

i could see a trade back if the iDL he wants is not there at 26.

regardless, if we trade back, it will be JIT, not early.

still wouldn't be shocked to see a day 2 trade package for JB.

• Like 1

Just to be clear, I won't be back in this thread calling anyone out if any of the above players are chosen at No.26 :) 

I actually admire those who are willing to stamp their opinion with an official vote on the above poll, not worrying about how it may be perceived. 

On 4/19/2019 at 12:53 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

This has been my thought since Jan. Just seems to much more a big athlete and not a WR. Seems a perfect type of Raider guy. DHB type

Just watched Episode 4 of 'With the Next Pick.'  It's always fun to speculate about who coaches/scouts are talking about.

The OC, Sirianni, has a quote in the draft room saying something like "I like this kid, he's got toughness.  He's different than other track guys, I think he's got some confidence."

I was kind of wondering if he was eluding to Metcalf there.  I could be way off, and I don't see Metcalf having been a track athlete at Ole Miss... but he kind of reminds me of a 'track guy' in the DHB mold (with better hands).  A burner with straight away speed, with limited ability to run routes or bring multiple threats to the opponent.  Who knows though, with TY, Funchess, Ebron, etc.. maybe a burner that can take the top off a defense is just what we need.

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Just watched Episode 4 of 'With the Next Pick.'  It's always fun to speculate about who coaches/scouts are talking about.

The OC, Sirianni, has a quote in the draft room saying something like "I like this kid, he's got toughness.  He's different than other track guys, I think he's got some confidence."

I was kind of wondering if he was eluding to Metcalf there.  I could be way off, and I don't see Metcalf having been a track athlete at Ole Miss... but he kind of reminds me of a 'track guy' in the DHB mold (with better hands).  A burner with straight away speed, with limited ability to run routes or bring multiple threats to the opponent.  Who knows though, with TY, Funchess, Ebron, etc.. maybe a burner that can take the top off a defense is just what we need.

That sounds more like Hollywood Brown as he is a speed/jet type guy. Which track comparison makes sense

13 hours ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

That sounds more like Hollywood Brown as he is a speed/jet type guy. Which track comparison makes sense

Could be...it's fun to speculate.  Could be someone totally different, too.

I don't think it's Brown, though.... as route running, shiftiness, run after catch, etc. are all strengths of his that compliment his speed.  His main weaknesses are his size and durability.

I think Metcalf fits the 'track' comparison a little better.  His strengths are his size and his speed.  His weaknesses are his hands and his stiffness (i.e., he seems to be more of a straight line runner with lack of agility and quickness -- in other words, he could outrace most anyone on a track, but may not have the quickness to get around defenders or make cuts in and out of routes).

There are multiple other WR's who ran 40's at track-like speed in their workouts that are 1-3 round considerations: Parris Campbell (OSU), Terry McLaurin (OSU), Emmanuel Hall (Mizzou), Andy Isabella (UMass), Miles Boykin (Notre Dame) 

And others who are late round/FA considerations: Mecole Hardman (UGA), Jonny Dixon (OSU)

Just fun to speculate on who those scouts/coaches/GMs are talking about in the "With the Next Pick" series. 

• Like 1