Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DK Metcalf is the player I'm hoping for in Round 1...

7 hours ago, HOF19 said:

Would not be surprised if Irsay and Ballard had conversation (and had it a while ago ) where they BOTH agreed >>>>>> No WR until 4th and maybe even 5th round WHY ?????....…. A guy named Funchess .  And (at least not yet) I am no big fan of Mr. Funchess. Not yet anyway .

The odds of that imaginary conversation having happened is between slim and none.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wig said:

How many of them were 6'3+, 230+ lbs and ran a 4.3?

Megatron didn't run a 3 cone on purpose. Imagine what your thoughts would be if Metcalf didn't.  People act like a complex route tree is needed for everyone. It isn't. 

You wouldn’t be drafting him to run shallow cross, digs, comebacks, etc... You’re drafting him to run posts, Fades, outs, etc.. AJ Green doesn’t always run complex routes

But again, the question will be how he handles press coverage on those reps. Plus I think he’ll need to go somewhere that has a strong number 2 who can play underneath. Imagine if Pittsburgh got him. 

DK is my number one receiver in this draft with his teammate AJ Brown right behind him. I think the testing is being blown out of proportion. We've seen receivers with similar numbers have success in the NFL without the size and speed that Metcalf has. I've seen enough tape to believe he can be one of the best receivers in the NFL with the right coaching.

I'm much more concerned about the injuries. I'm not going to criticize him for a lack of production when his quarterback was indecisive, the offensive line was horrible, and the overall offense was bad. There were plenty of times where he would run a comeback or slant and be open, but the offensive line forced Ta'amu out of the pocket or got him sacked.

Don't think the Colts would take him at 26 though. I would.

16 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Man the more I research on this guy the more I want him..His physical traits compare favorably to Calvin Johnson and the aggression he plays with reminds me of Josh Gordon..We have never had a receiver with his skill set as far as power, speed, and size..The only reason he will be available is health concerns, but I can't see Ballard passing on his upside..I doubt he lasts, as I think Gruden will want him in a Raiders uniform..If he is there we got to take the guy in my opinion..If not I'll take Wilkins or Lawrence with a smile on my face to make D-Line a force to be reckoned with, preferably Lawrence...We can't lose with any of these 3..

Dumb.  Dumb dumb.     Taking a wr.  Is like I said.   DUMB!!!

9 hours ago, stitches said:

I think people are turned off of Metcalf way too much at this point and are using bad arguments to justify it. He's still a 1st round type of receiver on pretty much everybody's board. 

Also, keep in mind that the thing that Ballard has said is hardest to evaluate in WRs' transition to the NFL and a thing that is extremely important for a WR according to him is their ability to beat press man. Can you guess who's the receiver in this class that beats press-man the best with his physicality and strength at the LOS? It's Metcalf. So don't be too quick to eliminate him from consideration. 

DK is hard to evaluate because of several things. He's a rare mix of speed and size. He had two of his three seasons cut very short because of injury. and.. He was a part of one of the best WR units in CFB (Brown, DKM, and Lodge). 

IMO, his development was stifled not only because of the injury, but also because of having Lodge and Brown on the same team. He was asked to an extent to be a one trick pony (the long ball guy) on a team with two other studs. Lodge at Z, and Brown as a slot bully. DK only played in half the games his last year, and IIRC lead both Brown and Lodge. Even in playing only half the games, he still had 5 TDs, while Brown had 6 total for the year, and Lodge 4. 

I think he'll polish his route running, which will make him more well rounded. All that can be taught. For a team that wants a pure vertical threat, not sure there is a better one in the draft. I'd be more concerned about his injury history than anything. Can't remember the situation with the foot and neck, but just having two season injuries in 3 years is enough for pause.

1 hour ago, DerekDiggler said:

Dumb.  Dumb dumb.     Taking a wr.  Is like I said.   DUMB!!!

Taking a WR for us this year is dumb? Or taking a WR in the 1st anytime is dumb?

Personally I don't want a WR at 26, but it's because of I think "need" plus probably talent available means we take an iDL. I'm not in anyway pure-WR in the first averse however.

To me, you draft high dollar guys early to take advantage of the 4 year rookie contract, and/or 5th year option. WR is a high dollar position. If the need matches BPA, I'm happy to have a WR in the 1st. LB and S are the only two positions I think are devalued these days so much that I would not want to take in the 1st. And even in the right situation, I'd take those positions too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

DK is hard to evaluate because of several things. He's a rare mix of speed and size. He had two of his three seasons cut very short because of injury. and.. He was a part of one of the best WR units in CFB (Brown, DKM, and Lodge). 

IMO, his development was stifled not only because of the injury, but also because of having Lodge and Brown on the same team. He was asked to an extent to be a one trick pony (the long ball guy) on a team with two other studs. Lodge at Z, and Brown as a slot bully. DK only played in half the games his last year, and IIRC lead both Brown and Lodge. Even in playing only half the games, he still had 5 TDs, while Brown had 6 total for the year, and Lodge 4. 

I think he'll polish his route running, which will make him more well rounded. All that can be taught. For a team that wants a pure vertical threat, not sure there is a better one in the draft. I'd be more concerned about his injury history than anything. Can't remember the situation with the foot and neck, but just having two season injuries in 3 years is enough for pause.

Absolutely. The injury risk is a much bigger concern than his production(which this year as you've pointed out was actually pretty good until he got injured) or his 3cone. He was on a path for 1100+ yards and 10+ TDs season. People are acting like it will be some egregious mistake for us to take him at 26. IMO if his health is cleared and he drops to 26, he's one of the receivers that we should be thinking about. And I'm not even his biggest fan. I have 3 receivers ahead of him on my board... and I still like him enough to be OK with picking him at 26 if Ballard deems his injury risk reasonable enough. 

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

We won't go WR our first pick. There will be too many other better players in the board, especially for defense where our biggest needs are.

I have no idea who or what position they will take.  But exactly none of us have a clue what their board looks like.  It is completely reasonable that they may have a WR rated exactly where they would take him at # 26.

Just now, jskinnz said:

I have no idea who or what position they will take.  But exactly none of us have a clue what their board looks like.  It is completely reasonable that they may have a WR rated exactly where they would take him at # 26.

No duh, but our need for a WR is about as much as a need for QB.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Narcosys said:

Well I tried to be diplomatic but saying that WR is in the same category as a QB need-wise is pretty freaking clueless.  Further, how many times do you have to hear Ballard say "you don't pass up a good player to draft for a need" before it sinks in?  It is entirely possible that "good player" is a WR.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Well I tried to be diplomatic but saying that WR is in the same category as a QB need-wise is pretty freaking clueless.  Further, how many times do you have to hear Ballard say "you don't pass up a good player to draft for a need" before it sinks in?  It is entirely possible that "good player" is a WR.

Or a RB.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Diplomatic? Sure... so if we were in the top three and there was a stud QB you think we'd take him? No.

Need is ALWAYS considered. 

If anything we do need a QB considering we will have noone behind Luck. Meanwhile we have WRs galore.

19 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Probably not breaking new ground with this, but I saw a really interesting image of the testing results from Metcalf at the combine in the form of a pie chart.  In it he tested off the charts in everything except for agility drills in which case he was in the 2nd & 3rd percentiles of WRs.  The history of WR's who have done well in the league with those low of numbers in agility is not a long list. 

Pass.

I saw the same chart and that's what got me thinking he won't be a great receiver

• Like 1

I think if you're going for an athletic WR, who also produced in college, and reminds me personally of DeAndre Hopkins, then you get Nkeal Harry. He could potentially be had with our latter 2nd, and I think he could end up the best WR from this draft. He suffered from poor coaching in college, and never took that step from his Soph to Jr year that he should've because of it, but in the Colts offense, and with AL throwing him the ball, I think he's the perfect compliment to what's already there. And before people say he can't get separation, his combine and pro day measurables are all the same or better than DeAndre Hopkins were coming out of college. Hopkins is a master of making contested catches and making them look routine, and I see all of that in Harry too. If not Harry, then get a speedster that can take the top off and kill on screens, slants, and underneath stuff like Hollywood. Heard on NFL Network that a guy (can't remember his name) said he was the most explosive guy he'd reviewed coming out of college, and basically guaranteed Hollywood would be a Tyreek Hill kinda talent in the NFL, so I'd be okay going that direction too, as long as it didn't cost our 1st.

Metcalf screams bust. Some people value the combine too much, and these are the people who are hyping him into the first round. Ballard said the media is not even close when it comes to elite players in the draft, and DK is a prime example of a player hyped up by the media that smarter GMs won’t even consider drafting. 

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Diplomatic? Sure... so if we were in the top three and there was a stud QB you think we'd take him? No.

If anything we do need a QB considering we will have noone behind Luck. Meanwhile we have WRs galore.

Wide receives galore??  It's TY, some average vets, a 6th rounder with a lot of talent (hopefully) and a free agent pickup we hope can shine with Luck and Frank.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

Metcalf screams bust. Some people value the combine too much, and these are the people who are hyping him into the first round. Ballard said the media is not even close when it comes to elite players in the draft, and DK is a prime example of a player hyped up by the media that smarter GMs won’t even consider drafting. 

This is not really true though... a lot of people were hyping Metcalf as a top end WR prospect way before the combine(Draft network had him in the top 10 in September)... hell even in this thread the prevailing sentiments are precisely the opposite of what you are suggesting -  because of his bad agility tests at the combine they don't want him and think he will bust.  

I wrote about him here in November when he declared for the draft and I said at the time that he's the receiver that has the highest chance of becoming a good WR1 in the league from this class and that I'd love to have him in the 20s. IMO he has clearcut WR1 traits. Even PFF who don't love his tape still have him as the best prospect in this class at the position, again because of his ridiculous traits.

Different receivers win in different ways in the league. Not everyone is an agility god and not everyone is a speed demon. Sure, it would have been nice if he had Julio Jones' agility but then we wouldn't be talking about him at 26, but rather in the top 5 of the draft. Just like pretty much every other prospect he, too, can bust, but lets not pretend that Metcalf is a media creation. He has very obvious top end traits that can be seen on tape.  

DK will be drafted before our pick. This guy is an athletic freak. I see him more as a work out warrior but yet he has drive to get better. He wants to be the next Julio and he knows it will take hard work for that. If he has the football drive to constantly get better than yes he will be solid. I don’t know how his interviews have went but I see him going top 15. 

For the the record I want AJ Brown because he has everything we need. 

21 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Here’s my take.

Which guy do you want.

WR#1  6’ 1 230

2018: Rec 85, Rec yards: 1,320, TD’s 6

2017: Rec 75, Rec yards 1,252,  TD’s 11

Average/Above average combine

or

WR#2 6’4 230 Pounds

2018: Rec 26, Rec Yards 526, TD’s 5

2017: Rec 39 Rec Yards 646, TD’s 7

Elite Combine

#1 AJ Brown

#2 DK Metcalf

Brown is not getting the credit he deserves.

IMO college productivity is a little overrated. College success doesn’t necessarily mean NFL success

4 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Oh Dear God...

The cluelessness astounds.

• Like 1

We need another game breaker on offense for sure..I'd be ok with Hollywood Brown too for this reason..I think Metcalf and Brown have most star potential..Harry is probably safest pick at wr and will be a very good pro most likely..If we don't go WR,  I want DT Dexter Lawrence where we are picking 100%. I think he will be a Monster in NFL if healthy..We r gonna need to roll the dice on a high ceiling player with some issues where we a picking if we hope to strike gold.

7 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Not even close.     We have a great qb.  Only one qb plays.   You can have up to 5 wrs play at the same time.   WR is by far our bigger need between the two

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kyle said:

saying not taking any certain position in the 1st is DUMB.  

Do some research.    There are no WR with # 1  grades behind what there are at other positions.   

New age Colts fans are enamored with all offense.    We will never win the SB thinking that way. 

The Colts has the #6 passing offense last yr with the receivers last yr.    adding in Funchess who most on here underestimate and Doyle who missed half the season. Along with Cain.  Who in case you all haven’t realized while having basically no NFL experience has more than any rookie coming into the league

basically we have our WR draft pick as Cain.  He is like drafting a WR this yr as a freebie 

Ballard will continue to build the trenches exactly like he had been telling us.   He’s not going to reach on a WR  PERIOD 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, stitches said:

Absolutely. The injury risk is a much bigger concern than his production(which this year as you've pointed out was actually pretty good until he got injured) or his 3cone. He was on a path for 1100+ yards and 10+ TDs season. People are acting like it will be some egregious mistake for us to take him at 26. IMO if his health is cleared and he drops to 26, he's one of the receivers that we should be thinking about. And I'm not even his biggest fan. I have 3 receivers ahead of him on my board... and I still like him enough to be OK with picking him at 26 if Ballard deems his injury risk reasonable enough. 

Yup. At the end of the day, he's a proven home run hitter with high value..... with a chance to improve route running and be a well rounded stud. Sure he's a bit raw in areas, and sure there's a little concern on the injury front, but that probably isn't enough to keep teams away. I'm not his biggest fan either, but he's a great prospect. I wouldn't shed one tear if the Colts grabbed him at 26. He won't last that long, so moot anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Do some research.    There are no WR with # 1  grades behind what there are at other positions.   

New age Colts fans are enamored with all offense.    We will never win the SB thinking that way. 

The Colts has the #6 passing offense last yr with the receivers last yr.    adding in Funchess who most on here underestimate and Doyle who missed half the season. Along with Cain.  Who in case you all haven’t realized while having basically no NFL experience has more than any rookie coming into the league

basically we have our WR draft pick as Cain.  He is like drafting a WR this yr as a freebie 

Ballard will continue to build the trenches exactly like he had been telling us.   He’s not going to reach on a WR  PERIOD 

This is such a good point about Cain. He is basically a rookie. Not to mention Marcus Johnson got injured early also. So he is kind of a rookie also.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

You do realize that the Kiper's of the world and their boards are not close to the same as Ballard's board.  And Ballard's is the only one that matters.  You cannot say for sure where he has Metcalf or any other receiver ranked.  If he does take a WR in day 1, it will not be because he reached.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

You do realize that the Kiper's of the world and their boards are not close to the same as Ballard's board.  And Ballard's is the only one that matters.  You cannot say for sure where he has Metcalf or any other receiver ranked.  If he does take a WR in day 1, it will not be because he reached.

I don’t think that is what the person is saying. What they are saying is if he doesn’t think a wide receiver is a first round pick he isn’t going to take them in the first round. From what I have heard none of the receivers this year are first round worthy. I do think they will take at some point or they would of already re signed Inman.

i am fine not taking one at all.  We have so many young guys. Lets see them develop. A draft pick is unproven just like Cain is. We already have so many weapons on this team.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I’m not sure Mel Kiper has ever been right in anything.   All those dudes pick draft picks due to need only and there is not a quality GM in the league that does that 

how can I say Ballard won’t draft a WR at 26?    He basically said it won’t happen.  And he’s not listening to the fans.    

Hes building by BPA which is the smartest way to build a team.    Especially a young team with upgradeable positions at most positions 

17 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I’m not sure Mel Kiper has ever been right in anything.   All those dudes pick draft picks due to need only and there is not a quality GM in the league that does that 

how can I say Ballard won’t draft a WR at 26?    He basically said it won’t happen.  And he’s not listening to the fans.    

Hes building by BPA which is the smartest way to build a team.    Especially a young team with upgradeable positions at most positions 

If a wr is the BPA when we pick,   Ballard will take him.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If a wr is the BPA when we pick,   Ballard will take him.   

Totally agree.    But that won’t happen very early.   Especially not at 26 or 34 or 59   Because they won’t be BPA unless one of the top three receivers fall to 59 then maybe 

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think that is what the person is saying. What they are saying is if he doesn’t think a wide receiver is a first round pick he isn’t going to take them in the first round. From what I have heard none of the receivers this year are first round worthy. I do think they will take at some point or they would of already re signed Inman.

i am fine not taking one at all.  We have so many young guys. Lets see them develop. A draft pick is unproven just like Cain is. We already have so many weapons on this team.

I think that's a fascinating point to make,  because the primary discussion we've been having all off-season as community is that we DON'T have enough weapons on this team.   People want more wide receivers.    People want more running backs.    People want more tight ends.

The Colts likely have the fewest quality weapons of any playoff caliber team.

I confess your view is a head scratcher to me....

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think that's a fascinating point to make,  because the primary discussion we've been having all off-season as community is that we DON'T have enough weapons on this team.   People want more wide receivers.    People want more running backs.    People want more tight ends.

The Colts likely have the fewest quality weapons of any playoff caliber team.

I confess your view is a head scratcher to me....

I can see Chloe6124's point of view. We have 11 WRs, 6 TEs and 4 RBs on the roster right now.

Ballard evidently seen something in all of these players or they wouldn't be here.

Just saying.

• Like 1