Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DK Metcalf is the player I'm hoping for in Round 1...

Man the more I research on this guy the more I want him..His physical traits compare favorably to Calvin Johnson and the aggression he plays with reminds me of Josh Gordon..We have never had a receiver with his skill set as far as power, speed, and size..The only reason he will be available is health concerns, but I can't see Ballard passing on his upside..I doubt he lasts, as I think Gruden will want him in a Raiders uniform..If he is there we got to take the guy in my opinion..If not I'll take Wilkins or Lawrence with a smile on my face to make D-Line a force to be reckoned with, preferably Lawrence...We can't lose with any of these 3..

• Like 2

Good to see you again Jshipp, I have not seen you post in a while but I have not been spending as much time on the board so maybe I missed it.

Your take is a bit unusual. For Metcalf it's usually the opposite, the more people study him the more they realize he is more an athlete than a WR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't he have low production in college?

No thanks.  

I believe in production over combine numbers.   As far as I'm concerned if you are drafting a very athletic player who didn't produce in college you are drafting a developmental player.  A guy who MIGHT be good.  But there are no guarantees that he will develop.   In fact it seems like 50+% of the time they don't develop.  

If you want to risk a 4th rounder on a high ceiling developmental guy, that makes sense.  But a first?  There are plenty of guys out there who are athletic AND produced in college.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

Didn't he have low production in college?

No thanks.  

I believe in production over combine numbers.   As far as I'm concerned if you are drafting a very athletic player who didn't produce in college you are drafting a developmental player.  A guy who MIGHT be good.  But there are no guarantees that he will develop.   In fact it seems like 50+% of the time they don't develop.  

If you want to risk a 4th rounder on a high ceiling developmental guy, that makes sense.  But a first?  There are plenty of guys out there who are athletic AND produced in college.  

He was producing in his last year in college before he got injured. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Man the more I research on this guy the more I want him..His physical traits compare favorably to Calvin Johnson and the aggression he plays with reminds me of Josh Gordon..We have never had a receiver with his skill set as far as power, speed, and size..The only reason he will be available is health concerns, but I can't see Ballard passing on his upside..I doubt he lasts, as I think Gruden will want him in a Raiders uniform..If he is there we got to take the guy in my opinion..If not I'll take Wilkins or Lawrence with a smile on my face to make D-Line a force to be reckoned with, preferably Lawrence...We can't lose with any of these 3..

Ahhhh there you are homie!  Was wondering when you were going to stir the crowd up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

No Way..  You can't fool me.  Deep down you really want Josh Jacobs.   haha  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I would like the same. As long as he isnt a Darrius Heyward-Bay clone. Great combine workouts that didnt equate to a great NFL career. However, on the contrary, I feel like with a QB like AL, almost any decent WR with measurable as DK can become a Pro bowler. See Eric Ebron.

• Thanks 1

he's a physical freak that could really stretch the field....too bad his agility is so bad that most pro defenses can take him out of the game pretty easily knowing what he's capable of is pretty limited. 

Is it possible for players with low agility scores coming out of college to improve that in the pros? I really haven't heard of that happening. 

What I do know is that he'd be a Raider if Al Davis was still alive. 

• Like 2

Hard pass on Metcalf.  He's an athlete and workout warrior, but I don't think he'll be a great NFL receiver.  His change of direction ability is very poor, which I think will lead to weak routes.  Some team will overdraft him because of his height/weight/strength/speed numbers, but I don't see him being a great receiver.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I’ll take his teammate Brown instead. IMO he is more of a polished WR all around than Metcalf is and the injury on DK is scary. 

• Thanks 1

The name reminded me of Eric Metcalf.   What a great player he was.

image.thumb.png.e5be8b478ed1279399bcf99af8f12197.png

He was also the 1988 US Track and Field Champion in the long jump and a two-time NCAA Champion in the same event at University of Texas.

• Like 1

Probably not breaking new ground with this, but I saw a really interesting image of the testing results from Metcalf at the combine in the form of a pie chart.  In it he tested off the charts in everything except for agility drills in which case he was in the 2nd & 3rd percentiles of WRs.  The history of WR's who have done well in the league with those low of numbers in agility is not a long list. 

Pass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why am I not surprised that YOU of all people wants the one prospect that's being hyped up the most on social media haha (and it's mostly cause that one instagram picture).

Listen if DK turns into a beast, I'll eat all the crow in the world. But a dude who can barely get open isn't someone I think will last in the NFL.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Why am I not surprised that YOU of all people wants the one prospect that's being hyped up the most on social media haha (and it's mostly cause that one instagram picture).

Listen if DK turns into a beast, I'll eat all the crow in the world. But a dude who can barely get open isn't someone I think will last in the NFL.

That’s what social media does. 

Would not be surprised if Irsay and Ballard had conversation (and had it a while ago ) where they BOTH agreed >>>>>> No WR until 4th and maybe even 5th round WHY ?????....…. A guy named Funchess .  And (at least not yet) I am no big fan of Mr. Funchess. Not yet anyway .

• Like 1

Here’s my take.

Which guy do you want.

WR#1  6’ 1 230

2018: Rec 85, Rec yards: 1,320, TD’s 6

2017: Rec 75, Rec yards 1,252,  TD’s 11

Average/Above average combine

or

WR#2 6’4 230 Pounds

2018: Rec 26, Rec Yards 526, TD’s 5

2017: Rec 39 Rec Yards 646, TD’s 7

Elite Combine

#1 AJ Brown

#2 DK Metcalf

Brown is not getting the credit he deserves.

29 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Would not be surprised if Irsay and Ballard had conversation (and had it a while ago ) where they BOTH agreed >>>>>> No WR until 4th and maybe even 5th round WHY ?????....…. A guy named Funchess .  And (at least not yet) I am no big fan of Mr. Funchess. Not yet anyway .

I highly doubt that conversation took place.   If a guy they really like is on the board,   they will take him

• Like 3

I think people are turned off of Metcalf way too much at this point and are using bad arguments to justify it. He's still a 1st round type of receiver on pretty much everybody's board. 

Also, keep in mind that the thing that Ballard has said is hardest to evaluate in WRs' transition to the NFL and a thing that is extremely important for a WR according to him is their ability to beat press man. Can you guess who's the receiver in this class that beats press-man the best with his physicality and strength at the LOS? It's Metcalf. So don't be too quick to eliminate him from consideration. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, runthepost said:

We need a receiver that can get separation because of the offense being shut down by Kansas City. Also we play a team twice in our division that can bottle up our current receivers. But I’ll take Brown and Butler over DK.

Should I think I'd take a few other rivers to like Campbell, ridley,delodge

1 hour ago, runthepost said:

We need a receiver that can get separation because of the offense being shut down by Kansas City. Also we play a team twice in our division that can bottle up our current receivers. But I’ll take Brown and Butler over DK.

Hollywood  brown would be nice in our offense  to

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Probably not breaking new ground with this, but I saw a really interesting image of the testing results from Metcalf at the combine in the form of a pie chart.  In it he tested off the charts in everything except for agility drills in which case he was in the 2nd & 3rd percentiles of WRs.  The history of WR's who have done well in the league with those low of numbers in agility is not a long list. 

Pass.

Similar to “workout warrior” pass rushers who have poor 3 cone times but light up the 40.

His numbers may not be great as far as number of catches, etc, but from what I read and the video I've watched on his games, he's running deep patterns on the majority of his routes.  Was he misused or was it because he couldn't run different routes and get open is the question. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I think people are turned off of Metcalf way too much at this point and are using bad arguments to justify it. He's still a 1st round type of receiver on pretty much everybody's board. 

Also, keep in mind that the thing that Ballard has said is hardest to evaluate in WRs' transition to the NFL and a thing that is extremely important for a WR according to him is their ability to beat press man. Can you guess who's the receiver in this class that beats press-man the best with his physicality and strength at the LOS? It's Metcalf. So don't be too quick to eliminate him from consideration. 

While I agree, it’s also worth noting that Greedy Williams locked him up when they met. Greedy is the type of press man corners he’ll see in the league. Greedy, Ramsey, Gilmore, Rhodes,etc... are all guys he’ll face at the next level and will be tough to bully. 

9 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I would like the same. As long as he isnt a Darrius Heyward-Bay clone. Great combine workouts that didnt equate to a great NFL career. However, on the contrary, I feel like with a QB like AL, almost any decent WR with measurable as DK can become a Pro bowler. See Eric Ebron.

Yeah but on the contrary you want your players not to have to rely on their QB making them successful. It's great to have a QB like that, and Andrew makes everyone around him a bit better, but If the player cant make it on his own to a degree, I dont really want him as a starter or, a number 2 WR... 

Whoever Ballard picks, I will learn to be excited about after I research him. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Pass.

How many of them were 6'3+, 230+ lbs and ran a 4.3?

Megatron didn't run a 3 cone on purpose. Imagine what your thoughts would be if Metcalf didn't.  People act like a complex route tree is needed for everyone. It isn't. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

I love Metcalf but this is a very deep WR class and we did sign Funchess. I would much rather draft defensive players early and still be able to draft a solid WR in the middle rounds.

What does Ballard do at pick 26 if the clear, highest rated player on the board is a WR?

1 hour ago, wig said:

How many of them were 6'3+, 230+ lbs and ran a 4.3?

Megatron didn't run a 3 cone on purpose. Imagine what your thoughts would be if Metcalf didn't.  People act like a complex route tree is needed for everyone. It isn't. 

To the bolded - my thoughts would have been not much because I wouldn't have cared.

Metcalf clearly lacks some of the basic things that make a WR successful - suddenness, change of direction.  If his only ability is to run in a straight line, how truly valuable could he be?  The list I saw of WR's who had such low agility #'s was not distinguished at all.  Dez Bryant was the most notable and he certainly had a good career.  But you are getting into taking guys based on the exception and not the rule.

I personally see him off the Colts board.

• Like 1