Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NCF's 2019 Top-32 Player First Round Board....

I saw Stampede Blue mocked Simmons to us.  Seems he was a top 5/10 guy before the injury so it is just whether we would be willing to take the risk on the injury, I think the issue with the assault seems to be less of an issue than other prospects in recent years (ie Mixon), from what I can gather.

Matt Danely did mention his concern with the ACL is more the position he plays, coming up against 330lb linemen snap after snap and the strain that could put on an already tender body part.

Love the Board though @NewColtsFan. As someone with very limited draft knowledge, good snippets of information on all.

• Thanks 1

Very good summary of the players and it feels like a very good representation of what's likely to happen. Several notes - I didn't see it in his tape but it seems like Fant had similar hands issues to Ebron(high drop %). Also you've mistaken Dexter Lawrence's name... but other than that, great job. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the solid list @NewColtsFan.  Well done.

I wonder if Simmons is really in play for Indy.  Ballard was with the Chiefs when they scouted and drafted a couple of guys with questionable pasts in Peters and Hill.  Now Peters worked his way out of KC and Hill has some serious allegations against him.  Do those situations give him pause with others who have past incidents?  Not saying they do or should but I am curious how he handles such players going forward. I also wonder about the fact that Indy has women high up in the organization - does that impact such decisions like there could be with Simmons?  Again, just my own musings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stitches said:

Very good summary of the players and it feels like a very good representation of what's likely to happen. Several notes - I didn't see it in his tape but it seems like Fant had similar hands issues to Ebron(high drop %). Also you've mistaken Dexter Lawrence's name... but other than that, great job. 

I never even noticed that.  If we can get Demarcus Lawrence in this years draft, Ballard really would be the messiah!!! haha

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

I wonder if Simmons is really in play for Indy.  Ballard was with the Chiefs when they scouted and drafted a couple of guys with questionable pasts in Peters and Hill.  Now Peters worked his way out of KC and Hill has some serious allegations against him.  Do those situations give him pause with others who have past incidents?  Not saying they do or should but I am curious how he handles such players going forward. I also wonder about the fact that Indy has women high up in the organization - does that impact such decisions like there could be with Simmons?  Again, just my own musings.

Marcus Peters -

Important Quote

"the final straw in a SERIES of run-ins" - Important word SERIES ... (A PATTERN)

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/2014/11/06/uw-star-cornerback-marcus-peters-dismissed-from-the-team/

Tyreek Hill

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-uncomfortable-reality-of-tyreek-hills-success/

IMHO, BOTH of these are WAY WORSE than what Simmons did

I don't see ANY quotes about what a locker-room leader that Peters or Hill were

I view Simmons as COMPLETELY different

There are no known instances of problems before the incident

There are no known instances of problems after the incident

The incident was had after the girl beat up his sister (from the news report)

Coaches say  "Model citizen"   ...... "Positive leader"

I dont see those comments EVER about Peters or Hill

I am SURE the Colts have asked MANY questions 

With the 26th pick....... The Colts Select ...... Simmons

The future Colts Pro bowler

(at least I hope)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Marcus Peters -

Important Quote

"the final straw in a SERIES of run-ins" - Important word SERIES ...or PATTERN

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/2014/11/06/uw-star-cornerback-marcus-peters-dismissed-from-the-team/

Tyreek Hill

https://theundefeated.com/features/the-uncomfortable-reality-of-tyreek-hills-success/

IMHO, BOTH of these are WAY WORSE than what Simmons did

I don't see ANY quotes about what a locker-room leader that Peters or Hill were

I view Simmons as COMPLETELY different

There are no known instances of problems before the incident

There are no known instances of problems after the incident

Coaches say  "Model citizen"   ...... "Positive leader"

I am SURE the Colts have asked MANY questions 

With the 26th pick....... The Colts Select ...... Simmons

Perhaps you are right.  I have no clue and am not advocating one way or the other.  Just thinking out loud.

But throw in the ACL on top and it does give you pause.

Plus JMV, local radio guy in Indy, has some good sources within the team.  He has been on air the last couple of days suggesting his sources indicate that the team really likes their d'line personnel.  I believe Ballard is a BPA guy all the way and if the board says d'line at 26 when the moment comes, that is what he will do.

My two cents - I think they go another position in round 1.

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

You may be right

The question is..... what position, do they go in place of DL?

If there isnt a DL person available or even worth the 26th spot..... I want them to trade back.

The other positions WR, SS, CB, OL, should ALL be available in round 2....  There should be a decent amount of players that could contribute in 2019

If we get an additional 2nd AND a 3rd......... we could clean up

Just noticed that in addition to missing on DEXTER Lawrence with (DeMarcus) I also botched our own guy.  

I referenced Quintin Nelson with............   Quincy!?   DOH!      :facepalm:

That’s what I get for starting that post at midnight and finishing after 2a.

hate typos like that!   My bad.    :omg:

Ps —. Thanks so much for all the comments one way or the other.   I also botched the reference on hands for Font.   What was I thinking?!?   

(Sigh....)

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just noticed that in addition to missing on DEXTER Lawrence with (DeMarcus) I also botched our own guy.  

Ps —. Thanks so much for all the comments one way or the other.   I also botched the reference on hands for Font.   What was I thinking?!?   

(Sigh....)

The "Corrector" falls on his sword!

How ya doin NCF?

24 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

The "Corrector" falls on his sword!

How ya doin NCF?

Ugh...    I hope the "Corrector" title doesn't stick!    Yuk!

All in all, I'm OK.....   but things are getting both busy and crazy out here....    I'm getting too old for both of things.    It's enough when it's just one of those things.    But both?!?     Yuk!

Thanks for asking....   and for being a good friend here!     :thmup:

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ugh...    I hope the "Corrector" title doesn't stick!    Yuk!

All in all, I'm OK.....   but things are getting both busy and crazy out here....    I'm getting too old for both of things.    It's enough when it's just one of those things.    But both?!?     Yuk!

Thanks for asking....   and for being a good friend here!     :thmup:

I am looking forward to next week

This will be a fun draft

MANY ways it COULD go!!

• Like 1

I know I'm in the minority here, but Simmons tape comes across as just average to me. He has little to no pass rush moves outside of a bull rush, and he is slow of the lines on tape. Personally I think Tillery has a higher ceiling and would much prefer him, but it's just from my opinion and I fully trust Ballard's judgement in the draft if he does decide Simmons is the best option.

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but Simmons tape comes across as just average to me. He has little to no pass rush moves outside of a bull rush, and he is slow of the lines on tape. Personally I think Tillery has a higher ceiling and would much prefer him, but it's just from my opinion and I fully trust Ballard's judgement in the draft if he does decide Simmons is the best option.

Sorry for the language on the highlights tapes........ 

If this is what young people listen to today, God help us.

Watch both tapes.

In 2018, he drew constant double teams. ...... And he played quite a few downs as NT

The guy has a very high TFL and is constantly in the backfield. These will show up as pressures in the NFL......... We will get MANY 3 and outs with a guy likes this

There is a reason why MOST draft evaluators have him top 6-15 BEFORE injury.... An injury that he is SUPPOSED to heal 100% from

2018 Highlights - 18 TFL

2017 Highlights - 12 TFL

17 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Sorry for the language on the highlights tapes........ 

If this is what young people listen to today, God help us.

Watch both tapes.

In 2018, he drew constant double teams. ...... And he played quite a few downs as NT

The guy has a very high TFL and is constantly in the backfield. These will show up as pressures in the NFL......... We will get MANY 3 and outs with a guy likes this

There is a reason why MOST draft evaluators have him top 6-15 BEFORE injury.... An injury that he is SUPPOSED to heal 100% from

2018 Highlights - 18 TFL

2017 Highlights - 12 TFL

Not to be rude, but even though these show some good things, they are "highlight" tapes. I've talked with a few scouts in the past few years, and every single one of them says that they never watch highlights because it only shows the good. If you look at the good plays only of every single player, they would all seem like first round players. What needs to be done is to go through and watch tape of full games, so you can see all of the ups and downs of players. For every good play Simmons makes, I see a bad play as well in which he does something poorly enough that he looks like he should go undrafted. Here is a link to one of the game tapes I watched on him. He has impressive strength in it, but he also lacks polish and only seems to have one move, a bull rush. Sure, he is a good player, but in my honest opinion from seeing what I have, he grades out as a second rounder, not top 10.

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Perhaps you are right.  I have no clue and am not advocating one way or the other.  Just thinking out loud.

But throw in the ACL on top and it does give you pause.

Plus JMV, local radio guy in Indy, has some good sources within the team.  He has been on air the last couple of days suggesting his sources indicate that the team really likes their d'line personnel.  I believe Ballard is a BPA guy all the way and if the board says d'line at 26 when the moment comes, that is what he will do.

That's interesting. Could be a smoke screen...but could also be that they know the DL guys they like will be gone...and they are going to cash in on other position groups (this has been what I have thought for a while). I think a trade down is very possible as well.

3 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Not to be rude, but even though these show some good things, they are "highlight" tapes. I've talked with a few scouts in the past few years, and every single one of them says that they never watch highlights because it only shows the good. If you look at the good plays only of every single player, they would all seem like first round players. What needs to be done is to go through and watch tape of full games, so you can see all of the ups and downs of players. For every good play Simmons makes, I see a bad play as well in which he does something poorly enough that he looks like he should go undrafted. Here is a link to one of the game tapes I watched on him. He has impressive strength in it, but he also lacks polish and only seems to have one move, a bull rush. Sure, he is a good player, but in my honest opinion from seeing what I have, he grades out as a second rounder, not top 10.

Its A-OK to disagree

I dont know any actual scouts......  Im a "civilian"  

Just an old dude in front of the computer.......

15 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I saw Stampede Blue mocked Simmons to us.  Seems he was a top 5/10 guy before the injury so it is just whether we would be willing to take the risk on the injury, I think the issue with the assault seems to be less of an issue than other prospects in recent years (ie Mixon), from what I can gather.

Matt Danely did mention his concern with the ACL is more the position he plays, coming up against 330lb linemen snap after snap and the strain that could put on an already tender body part.

Love the Board though @NewColtsFan. As someone with very limited draft knowledge, good snippets of information on all.

My take on this is we wouldn’t take the risk on Simmons at 26 unless maybe there was a prior run on the defensive line and he was left. What I could see though is at 34, we roll the dice with that pick if he is still on since that pick is an add on anyways.  I also wouldn’t be shocked if we went Tillery too if both are there at 34. I’d like to see Ferrell and/or Wilkins at our pick come 26. 

Good list @NewColtsFan.....  and I must admit, seeing Burns at #14 along with your comment, stokes my hopes that Ballard will indeed trade up for him if Burns reaches the 10-15 range.

The talking heads are all over the place with his projection.... I'd love for us to have a shot at drafting him.

It would likely cost us the #26 and #59 picks and then some.... or some sort of Brissett package to get there, but I'd be fine with a trade-up if it's going to solidify our pass rush.

Anyways.... thanks for the effort... 5 days and counting! :thmup:

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2019 at 10:16 AM, jskinnz said:

Ballard now has Brian Decker to lean on here as well.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:23 PM, WarGhost21 said:

I agree about not trusting cutup tape.  One needs to watch at least 2 full games, with coaches tape (all 22) view (not TV).

From Chris Landry, NFL scout and paid consultant-

"Like the frame, Like the athleticism, like the explosiveness, great first step. Unleashes hips into blockers. Good upper body strength to throw blockers to the side. Really good in his timing on twists and stunts. Explodes and works his hands and arms against the run, can peek and toss guys aside to get in position to make a play. Exhibits a lot of the characteristics Fletcher Cox demonstrated.

Has medical and character flags. Without these, the tape says he is top 8 in this draft (values). Because of these issues though, he can easily fall to late 20's. Strong at point of attack, occupies blockers. Can fight through double teams, good pursuit player.

Could be a little bit quicker and better at finding the ball. His pass rush could be (should be) better, he doesn't finish quite well because he can get a little bit tall and let guys get into his body. Hand quickness is average and hand use can improve, but he has very heavy hands. He might be slightly undersized for a NT, (but I like him there) and once he improves his leverage and hand use, he will be a disruptive, penetrating, power rusher who can also play the run.

He's a shade technique, or right on the nose of a 4-3 defense (or a 5 technique in a 30 front).  Can be more than a 2 down DL with a powerful bull rush pressure, once he improves leverage/hands. He's an outstanding player, and from a football standpoint, worthy of a top ten.  but medical and character flags will likely have him drop."

A short report from my connection... :)

30 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Ballard now has Brian Decker to lean on here as well.

I agree about not trusting cutup tape.  One needs to watch at least 2 full games, with coaches tape (all 22) view (not TV).

From Chris Landry, NFL scout and paid consultant-

"Like the frame, Like the athleticism, like the explosiveness, great first step. Unleashes hips into blockers. Good upper body strength to throw blockers to the side. Really good in his timing on twists and stunts. Explodes and works his hands and arms against the run, can peek and toss guys aside to get in position to make a play. Exhibits a lot of the characteristics Fletcher Cox demonstrated.

Has medical and character flags. Without these, the tape says he is top 8 in this draft (values). Because of these issues though, he can easily fall to late 20's. Strong at point of attack, occupies blockers. Can fight through double teams, good pursuit player.

Could be a little bit quicker and better at finding the ball. His pass rush could be (should be) better, he doesn't finish quite well because he can get a little bit tall and let guys get into his body. Hand quickness is average and hand use can improve, but he has very heavy hands. He might be slightly undersized for a NT, (but I like him there) and once he improves his leverage and hand use, he will be a disruptive, penetrating, power rusher who can also play the run.

He's a shade technique, or right on the nose of a 4-3 defense (or a 5 technique in a 30 front).  Can be more than a 2 down DL with a powerful bull rush pressure, once he improves leverage/hands. He's an outstanding player, and from a football standpoint, worthy of a top ten.  but medical and character flags will likely have him drop."

A short report from my connection... :)

You're not the first person to say this,  but I don't know where it's coming from?

Jeffrey Simmons....    is not a Nose Tackle.    He's a 3-tech.  

Not sure what position he played for Mississippi State,  but he projects as a 3-tech at the next level.     Exactly like Quinnen Williams,  who played the Nose for Bama this year,  but at 303, will play the 3-tech on the next level.     I've never heard otherwise for either player....

I see that you've cut and pasted material from Chris Landry saying he likes him as a Nose....   I just find it baffling....

24 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're not the first person to say this,  but I don't know where it's coming from?

Jeffrey Simmons....    is not a Nose Tackle.    He's a 3-tech.  

Not sure what position he played for Mississippi State,  but he projects as a 3-tech at the next level.     Exactly like Quinnen Williams,  who played the Nose for Bama this year,  but at 303, will play the 3-tech on the next level.     I've never heard otherwise for either player....

If you have a link saying otherwise,  I'd love to read it....

Chris Landry  disagrees, and says he is a NT in a 43 (shade or on the nose), and a 5 technique in a 30 front.  (a DE in a 3-4)

Here is the link.

https://landryfootball.com/listen-to-draft-room-scouting-reports-on-first-round-value-players/

But his site is a pay site, so it may not work for you. I've been a member for a couple of years.  And these reports are not written, they are mostly verbal podcasts for members to listen to.

Oh, here is his credentials-

https://landryfootball.com/about-landry-football/

On 4/19/2019 at 9:38 AM, NewColtsFan said:

(Sigh....)

*Quenton

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Chris Landry  disagrees, and says he is a NT in a 43 (shade or on the nose), and a 5 technique in a 30 front.  (a DE in a 3-4)

Here is the link.

https://landryfootball.com/listen-to-draft-room-scouting-reports-on-first-round-value-players/

But his site is a pay site, so it may not work for you. I've been a member for a couple of years.  And these reports are not written, they are mostly verbal podcasts for members to listen to.

Oh, here is his credentials-

https://landryfootball.com/about-landry-football/

That may be what he did in college,  but let me ask you this....

How many high level, quality nose tackles do you see in the NFL playing that position at 300 pounds?      Any?      I'm not aware of one....

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That may be what he did in college,  but let me ask you this....

How many high level, quality nose tackles do you see in the NFL playing that position at 300 pounds?      Any?      I'm not aware of one....

I do not know, could be Simmons may play at 3 tech, but maybe he doesn't appear to be a prototypical B gap shooter.  He plays great against the run, and can handle/penetrate double teams.  The 3 tech alignment avoids double teams. His pass rush move is a bull rush, that needs work.  I feel Ed Oliver is a lot closer to Aaron Donald than Jeffrey Simmons. 

A real NFL scout / paid consultant read in a podcast what I wrote in a higher above post, this was just like he was reporting to a GM setting up a draft board.  What else can I say?

• Thanks 1

I like Simmons a lot, just not a fan of waiting a year. His off the field issue bothers me, but not enough to keep me from picking him (assuming his interview covered it well). While the injury itself is not a show stopper, it's much harder rehabbing a 300ish lb guy as opposed to someone leaner. And getting back in game shape takes longer.

As for him at NG/DT, he officially played NG at MSU. He was moved around a lot though. Most project him to DT. He like Tillery can both be moved around the interior. 

Another thing that concerns me a bit, is how much of his success was because teams were focusing on Sweat. Whenever you have multiple high achieving guys in any unit, their play is raised because of others. 

NCF, a belated but heartfelt thank you for all the work you put into this. 

My quick thoughts: 

1. Wikins and Lawrence just might drop to us. I doubt Ferrell does. Either of those DTs would be a great addition to the line. 

2. It’s also very possible that Gardner-Johnson and AJ Brown are both there at 34. That would be a tough choice, but I would go with Brown. He reminds me of Reggie Wayne, and that kind of impact would do absolute wonders for the Colts’ offense. There will be other, comparable Safeties available at 59. 

3. I just don’t like Simmons at 26, not because he isn’t talented, but because he’s damaged goods and it’s not worth taking the chance he doesn’t heal.