Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett Trade Plausibility...

How likely is it that Brissett gets traded? If so, to whom?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How likely is it that Brissett gets traded? If so, to whom?

• No Trade
    • 20%
    • 40%
    • 60%
    • 80%
    • 100%

I just don't think Ballard is going to get an offer that would make him feel comfortable enough to trade Jacoby.     He has more value as our back-up than he does as trade bait.   I just don't think we get more than a 4, and possibly even only a 5.    And I believe Ballard would prefer the player to the pick.

If Brissett signs with another team in March, then perhaps we get a comp pick.    Or, perhaps we get him to re-sign with the Colts as a long-term back-up to Luck.    No way to know now,  way too soon.    But another year of a back-up plus a future compick pick might beat getting a 4 or 5 this year.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

p.s. --- if you think we're likely to trade JB,  ask yourself this?    Who would be our next back-up?     A rookie draft pick?    Highly doubtful.    A veteran free agent?    Most of the best ones are gone,  signed with other teams.    I don't think Ballard wants to go into 2019 without a quality back-up.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

40% to either the Dolphins or Redskins. Ballard will want a pass rusher like Sweat or Burns, or he may trade up for Christian Wilkins. They need a QB, and I can see us trading pick #26 and Brissett for their 1st rounder if the guy we want is still there.

Both teams have their quarterbacks for next year... doubt they'd be interested in trading picks for JB.

Just now, Maniac said:

Both teams have their quarterbacks for next year... doubt they'd be interested in trading picks for JB.

Fitzpatrick and Keenum are garbage QB's. Unless they are purposely tanking for Tua next year, Brissett is definitely in play for either team without giving up a 1st rounder to get a QB.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fitzpatrick and Keenum are garbage QB's. Unless they are purposely tanking for Tua next year, Brissett is definitely in play for either team without giving up a 1st rounder to get a QB.

Well....   Fitzpatrick appears to be the starter,  so, yes,  Miami would seem to be tanking....

And Keenan is no longer the starter in Denver.    Joe Flacco is with Keenan staying as the back-up.

Could Miami have some interest?     Sure.   But what would they offer?    My guess is not as much as some might think.....

JB is IMO better than any FA QB left out there. 

Even the FAs and trades signed (except Foles) are pretty lame. Fitzpatrick lame. Flacco lame.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's traded or kept. 

Ballard did his job selling his value. Maybe oversold. 

I'd take a 3rd easily. Would contemplate a 4th depending on early or late. I think a package deal is most likely during the draft.

Like I said very early before FA started, I think the best chance of him being traded is during or after the draft. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fitzpatrick is not a garbage quarterback. No QB who has started that many games in the NFL is garbage. Poor choice of adjectives. JMO....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Fitzpatrick is not a garbage quarterback. No QB who has started that many games in the NFL is garbage. Poor choice of adjectives. JMO....

As a starter, he is a garbage QB. No matter who Miami starts at QB next season (whether it's Brissett or not), it needs to be someone other than Fitzpatrick.

4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fitz has been a journeyman Qb for a long time in this league, he has 50 wins almost 30 000 passing yards and 190 Tds,  he has been and can be a serviceable starter if they need. Far from garbage.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Fitz has been a journeyman Qb for a long time in this league, he has 50 wins almost 30 000 passing yards and 190 Tds,  he has been and can be a serviceable starter if they need. Far from garbage.

Fitz is 36, and the Dolphins won't do anything with him at QB. He's easily a bottom 10 starting QB at best. I'm not saying they will definitely trade for Brissett, but I will predict they win 4-6 games if he is their starter. He starts out strong and fades throughout the season.

49 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

he won't take them far into the playoffs, and is not their future at QB. if he doesn't fit either of those two descriptions, then they are always looking to upgrade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fitz is 36, and the Dolphins won't do anything with him at QB. He's easily a bottom 10 starting QB at best. I'm not saying they will definitely trade for Brissett, but I will predict they win 4-6 games if he is their starter. He starts out strong and fades throughout the season.

Fitz is a high level back-up who has put up some good,  but mostly poor stats when pressed into starting duty.     He's not a good starting QB.    But he'd be a high level quality back-up.    It appears Miami is going to use him as their stater.    The Dolphins appear to be going for the 2020 #1 pick.

Fitz will have some good games,  but more bad than good since he's on a poor team.   

But, as another poster noted,  garbage is a bit harsh for the guy....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fitz is a high level back-up who has put up some good,  but mostly poor stats when pressed into starting duty.     He's not a good starting QB.    But he'd be a high level quality back-up.    It appears Miami is going to use him as their stater.    The Dolphins appear to be going for the 2020 #1 pick.

Fitz will have some good games,  but more bad than good since he's on a poor team.   

But, as another poster noted,  garbage is a bit harsh for the guy....

Fitzpatrick is the perfect tanking QB. He's extremely fun because he doesn't shy away from letting it loose and it creates exciting plays(he can keep your fans entertained)... but at the same time the fact that he lets it loose without hesitation while not having great playmakers on offense is the reason you probably won't win many games because at the end of the day it catches up with him and he's habitually stepping over the other side of the carelessness line. He will singlehandedly lose you most games while being somewhat entertaining. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I just don't think Ballard is going to get an offer that would make him feel comfortable enough to trade Jacoby.     He has more value as our back-up than he does as trade bait.   I just don't think we get more than a 4, and possibly even only a 5.    And I believe Ballard would prefer the player to the pick.

If Brissett signs with another team in March, then perhaps we get a comp pick.    Or, perhaps we get him to re-sign with the Colts as a long-term back-up to Luck.    No way to know now,  way too soon.    But another year of a back-up plus a future compick pick might beat getting a 4 or 5 this year.

p.s. --- if you think we're likely to trade JB,  ask yourself this?    Who would be our next back-up?     A rookie draft pick?    Highly doubtful.    A veteran free agent?    Most of the best ones are gone,  signed with other teams.    I don't think Ballard wants to go into 2019 without a quality back-up.

Spot on. I think the Josh Rosen situation has also impacted the market for Brissett. Regardless, the Colts are absolutely better off at this point keeping Jacoby and shooting for a decent comp pick. I figure Brissett will be looking for a starting opportunity, and why not? He’ll be gone after this season, and the Colts will be in a much better position to grab a quality backup if they wait until next year.  

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree with this. 

Jacoby is a quality backup at a low price cause he's still on rookie contract.  AND New England already paid his signing bonus so he's even cheaper for us.

I don't think the NFL see's Jacoby at this point as a potential starter.  (I think Colt's fans overrate his ability quite a bit.)   So he's not going to fetch a high draft pick.  We would be lucky to get a 4.  But most likely he'd only be worth a 5 or 6.  I mean they just don't give out high or mid round picks for guys who everyone hopes will remain on the bench.  

So if you are looking at say a 5th round pick.   Are you likely going to get someone of similar or superior ability in the draft for that?  What about QB's.  Do you think you could draft a QB who would provide equal or better ability as a backup?   

And lets be honest.  If Jacoby leaves here and signs a 4 million dollar backup QB contract someplace else, we'll probably get a 7th round compensatory pick anyways.  And if he signs for more money than that, we would get a higher compensatory pick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Well....   Fitzpatrick appears to be the starter,  so, yes,  Miami would seem to be tanking....

And Keenan is no longer the starter in Denver.    Joe Flacco is with Keenan staying as the back-up.

Could Miami have some interest?     Sure.   But what would they offer?    My guess is not as much as some might think.....

Keenum was traded to the Redskins a few weeks back:

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/07/broncos-to-trade-case-keenum-to-redskins/

I do agree that Miami (or anybody else) wouldn't offer much and we might as well keep JB until his contract is up.

I am unsure what his worth actually is?  He most likely will be rendered a nice offer in Free Agency as there is always a team or two who just throw money away.  So it may be more prudent to wait for the comp pick and allow Indy a quality back up next season?

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just don't see him much more than a back up. Like Valpo said I think some values way over value him

Exactly. Earlier some were saying we need to trade him for a #1 or #2 pick. Now it's down to a comp pick if we don't resign him.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

40% to either the Dolphins or Redskins. Ballard will want a pass rusher like Sweat or Burns, or he may trade up for Christian Wilkins. They need a QB, and I can see us trading pick #26 and Brissett for their 1st rounder if the guy we want is still there.

If we do anything at all with JB, this would be the scenario I hope we employ, a move up in the first to get a defensive guy we prize. Our 26 + JB would be awesome in used capital to a qb needy team. The only team I can see that may have any desire to see another qb is Pitt at 20 but then what signal would that send to Ben and how would that upset the cart there? Another potential is possibly 17 with the Giants but I just am not sure our 26, JB is enough to entice them. May have to add in our 4th comp pick. Idk, I just don’t see the value for us to trade our back up and giving more picks. If it’s a swap of 1st rd picks and JB for a pick that fits us, we should absolutely do it and not look back. If not, we carry on and just hope we can showcase his talents in PS and he signs a bigger deal somewhere next season and we get a 3rd rd comp. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

If we do anything at all with JB, this would be the scenario I hope we employ, a move up in the first to get a defensive guy we prize. Our 26 + JB would be awesome in used capital to a qb needy team. The only team I can see that may have any desire to see another qb is Pitt at 20 but then what signal would that send to Ben and how would that upset the cart there? Another potential is possibly 17 with the Giants but I just am not sure our 26, JB is enough to entice them. May have to add in our 4th comp pick. Idk, I just don’t see the value for us to trade our back up and giving more picks. If it’s a swap of 1st rd picks and JB for a pick that fits us, we should absolutely do it and not look back. If not, we carry on and just hope we can showcase his talents in PS and he signs a bigger deal somewhere next season and we get a 3rd rd comp. 

I posted a similar, but "roided up" version of the idea in another thread....

We're clearly in no man's land with Jacoby. We all love the guy, but he wants to start... he's in the last year of his deal and is almost a lock to be offered a shot somewhere next year in free agency. At BEST.... he walks and we get a comp pick at the bottom of Round 3.

So we have Brissett... who represents an interesting commodity to a team that may want a young QB with experience who isn't gonna break the bank. The Dolphins, Broncos, Giants, and Redskins all have a plausible need to address QB, among other needs.

We also have a #34 pick from the Jets.... our own #59 pick.... and every indication is that the true "difference makers" this year dry up at around the 15th pick in Round 1.

So.... we can play it conservatively and stand pat...which is fine if we're okay with what would most likely be a 4th round comp pick for Brissett...

OR

We can explore a package of our #26 pick.... one of our 2nd rounders and Brissett to one of the above teams and land a difference maker on defense.

The #34 pick is house money... and the value we get from Brissett, IMO, is better to be cashed in on in a trade-up package for a difference maker in this year's first round.... and at the same time retaining picks in rounds 2-7..... rather than getting a ho-hum comp pick after he walks.

I give all this maybe a 40% chance of happening.... but I wouldn't mind it a bit if it means we land a stud EDGE guy, a top 3-Tech or someone like Devin White.... with our "net loss" only being one of our 2nd rounders and Brissett.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm thinking of maybe a sign and trade which would buy us time to get the right deal. I mean let Brissett know that's what were doing so we can get the best for both sides. 

Brissett is going to be viewed as a backup QB or a stop gap starter.  Every team wants a franchise QB and Brissett is not that.  

I don't see a trade happening.  When his contract expires, the Colts and other teams will bid on him to be a backup or stop gap.  We may get a comp pick for him if he signs elsewhere, which is about what we would get in a trade, so we may as well keep him through his contract.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. Earlier some were saying we need to trade him for a #1 or #2 pick. Now it's down to a comp pick if we don't resign him.

Yep, the Ben Volin, Seattle offering a 2nd for JB story is where all that 1st and 2nd Rd pick nonsense started.  The trade never passed the smell test, but a lot wanted to believe it. 

JB is a good backup, but he's no starter, which translates to possible comp. pick or resign next off season.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

not enough teams needing QBs right now unfortunately.  he will probably walk next year and we get nothing except maybe a very late comp pick 

There are plenty of teams that need QBs. Four will most likely go in the 1st Rd 2019. Miami is in full tank mode to draft Tua from Alabama next year.

If, Brissett was a future starter somewhere, this would be the prime to trade him. Very doubtful IMO.  

• Like 1

The value is way overhyped on JB. People act like if not traded we don’t get anything for this great player. That’s not true. He has shown little to be desired for some team to give a high pick for. At best we get maybe a 3rd for him but once he leaves in FA, which I see because he wants to start, we will probably get a 4th comp. I am fine with the comp pick because it’s not that bad of value for having a good back up this year that knows the system.