Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FalseStart

Brissett Trade Plausibility...

How likely is it that Brissett gets traded? If so, to whom?  

86 members have voted

  1. 1. How likely is it that Brissett gets traded? If so, to whom?

    • No Trade
      32
    • 20%
      28
    • 40%
      15
    • 60%
      7
    • 80%
      2
    • 100%
      3


Recommended Posts

Low odds.  I’d love to trade him for extra draft capital (3rd rounder) but seems like there isn’t a market for him.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I just don't think Ballard is going to get an offer that would make him feel comfortable enough to trade Jacoby.     He has more value as our back-up than he does as trade bait.   I just don't think we get more than a 4, and possibly even only a 5.    And I believe Ballard would prefer the player to the pick.

 

If Brissett signs with another team in March, then perhaps we get a comp pick.    Or, perhaps we get him to re-sign with the Colts as a long-term back-up to Luck.    No way to know now,  way too soon.    But another year of a back-up plus a future compick pick might beat getting a 4 or 5 this year.

 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

 

p.s. --- if you think we're likely to trade JB,  ask yourself this?    Who would be our next back-up?     A rookie draft pick?    Highly doubtful.    A veteran free agent?    Most of the best ones are gone,  signed with other teams.    I don't think Ballard wants to go into 2019 without a quality back-up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40% to either the Dolphins or Redskins. Ballard will want a pass rusher like Sweat or Burns, or he may trade up for Christian Wilkins. They need a QB, and I can see us trading pick #26 and Brissett for their 1st rounder if the guy we want is still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

40% to either the Dolphins or Redskins. Ballard will want a pass rusher like Sweat or Burns, or he may trade up for Christian Wilkins. They need a QB, and I can see us trading pick #26 and Brissett for their 1st rounder if the guy we want is still there.

 

Both teams have their quarterbacks for next year... doubt they'd be interested in trading picks for JB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Maniac said:

 

Both teams have their quarterbacks for next year... doubt they'd be interested in trading picks for JB.

Fitzpatrick and Keenum are garbage QB's. Unless they are purposely tanking for Tua next year, Brissett is definitely in play for either team without giving up a 1st rounder to get a QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the odds are low. Seems like most of the teams in a QB need will either draft one or tank for Tua/Herbert/Fromm(Miami). There is an outside shot, but I wouldn't call it likely by any stretch of the imagination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fitzpatrick and Keenum are garbage QB's. Unless they are purposely tanking for Tua next year, Brissett is definitely in play for either team without giving up a 1st rounder to get a QB.

 

Well....   Fitzpatrick appears to be the starter,  so, yes,  Miami would seem to be tanking....

 

And Keenan is no longer the starter in Denver.    Joe Flacco is with Keenan staying as the back-up.

 

Could Miami have some interest?     Sure.   But what would they offer?    My guess is not as much as some might think.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JB is IMO better than any FA QB left out there. 

Even the FAs and trades signed (except Foles) are pretty lame. Fitzpatrick lame. Flacco lame.

 

I wouldn't be shocked if he's traded or kept. 

 

Ballard did his job selling his value. Maybe oversold. 

 

I'd take a 3rd easily. Would contemplate a 4th depending on early or late. I think a package deal is most likely during the draft.

 

Like I said very early before FA started, I think the best chance of him being traded is during or after the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fitzpatrick and Keenum are garbage QB's. Unless they are purposely tanking for Tua next year, Brissett is definitely in play for either team without giving up a 1st rounder to get a QB.

Fitzpatrick is not a garbage quarterback. No QB who has started that many games in the NFL is garbage. Poor choice of adjectives. JMO....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Fitzpatrick is not a garbage quarterback. No QB who has started that many games in the NFL is garbage. Poor choice of adjectives. JMO....

As a starter, he is a garbage QB. No matter who Miami starts at QB next season (whether it's Brissett or not), it needs to be someone other than Fitzpatrick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fitzpatrick and Keenum are garbage QB's. Unless they are purposely tanking for Tua next year, Brissett is definitely in play for either team without giving up a 1st rounder to get a QB.

Fitz has been a journeyman Qb for a long time in this league, he has 50 wins almost 30 000 passing yards and 190 Tds,  he has been and can be a serviceable starter if they need. Far from garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Fitz has been a journeyman Qb for a long time in this league, he has 50 wins almost 30 000 passing yards and 190 Tds,  he has been and can be a serviceable starter if they need. Far from garbage.

Fitz is 36, and the Dolphins won't do anything with him at QB. He's easily a bottom 10 starting QB at best. I'm not saying they will definitely trade for Brissett, but I will predict they win 4-6 games if he is their starter. He starts out strong and fades throughout the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Fitzpatrick is not a garbage quarterback. No QB who has started that many games in the NFL is garbage. Poor choice of adjectives. JMO....

 

he won't take them far into the playoffs, and is not their future at QB. if he doesn't fit either of those two descriptions, then they are always looking to upgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Fitz is 36, and the Dolphins won't do anything with him at QB. He's easily a bottom 10 starting QB at best. I'm not saying they will definitely trade for Brissett, but I will predict they win 4-6 games if he is their starter. He starts out strong and fades throughout the season.

 

Fitz is a high level back-up who has put up some good,  but mostly poor stats when pressed into starting duty.     He's not a good starting QB.    But he'd be a high level quality back-up.    It appears Miami is going to use him as their stater.    The Dolphins appear to be going for the 2020 #1 pick.

 

Fitz will have some good games,  but more bad than good since he's on a poor team.   

 

But, as another poster noted,  garbage is a bit harsh for the guy....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Fitz is a high level back-up who has put up some good,  but mostly poor stats when pressed into starting duty.     He's not a good starting QB.    But he'd be a high level quality back-up.    It appears Miami is going to use him as their stater.    The Dolphins appear to be going for the 2020 #1 pick.

 

Fitz will have some good games,  but more bad than good since he's on a poor team.   

 

But, as another poster noted,  garbage is a bit harsh for the guy....

 

Fitzpatrick is the perfect tanking QB. He's extremely fun because he doesn't shy away from letting it loose and it creates exciting plays(he can keep your fans entertained)... but at the same time the fact that he lets it loose without hesitation while not having great playmakers on offense is the reason you probably won't win many games because at the end of the day it catches up with him and he's habitually stepping over the other side of the carelessness line. He will singlehandedly lose you most games while being somewhat entertaining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I just don't think Ballard is going to get an offer that would make him feel comfortable enough to trade Jacoby.     He has more value as our back-up than he does as trade bait.   I just don't think we get more than a 4, and possibly even only a 5.    And I believe Ballard would prefer the player to the pick.

 

If Brissett signs with another team in March, then perhaps we get a comp pick.    Or, perhaps we get him to re-sign with the Colts as a long-term back-up to Luck.    No way to know now,  way too soon.    But another year of a back-up plus a future compick pick might beat getting a 4 or 5 this year.

 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

 

p.s. --- if you think we're likely to trade JB,  ask yourself this?    Who would be our next back-up?     A rookie draft pick?    Highly doubtful.    A veteran free agent?    Most of the best ones are gone,  signed with other teams.    I don't think Ballard wants to go into 2019 without a quality back-up.

 

Spot on. I think the Josh Rosen situation has also impacted the market for Brissett. Regardless, the Colts are absolutely better off at this point keeping Jacoby and shooting for a decent comp pick. I figure Brissett will be looking for a starting opportunity, and why not? He’ll be gone after this season, and the Colts will be in a much better position to grab a quality backup if they wait until next year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I just don't think Ballard is going to get an offer that would make him feel comfortable enough to trade Jacoby.     He has more value as our back-up than he does as trade bait.   I just don't think we get more than a 4, and possibly even only a 5.    And I believe Ballard would prefer the player to the pick.

 

If Brissett signs with another team in March, then perhaps we get a comp pick.    Or, perhaps we get him to re-sign with the Colts as a long-term back-up to Luck.    No way to know now,  way too soon.    But another year of a back-up plus a future compick pick might beat getting a 4 or 5 this year.

 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

 

p.s. --- if you think we're likely to trade JB,  ask yourself this?    Who would be our next back-up?     A rookie draft pick?    Highly doubtful.    A veteran free agent?    Most of the best ones are gone,  signed with other teams.    I don't think Ballard wants to go into 2019 without a quality back-up.

 

 

I agree with this. 

 

Jacoby is a quality backup at a low price cause he's still on rookie contract.  AND New England already paid his signing bonus so he's even cheaper for us.

 

I don't think the NFL see's Jacoby at this point as a potential starter.  (I think Colt's fans overrate his ability quite a bit.)   So he's not going to fetch a high draft pick.  We would be lucky to get a 4.  But most likely he'd only be worth a 5 or 6.  I mean they just don't give out high or mid round picks for guys who everyone hopes will remain on the bench.  

 

So if you are looking at say a 5th round pick.   Are you likely going to get someone of similar or superior ability in the draft for that?  What about QB's.  Do you think you could draft a QB who would provide equal or better ability as a backup?   

 

And lets be honest.  If Jacoby leaves here and signs a 4 million dollar backup QB contract someplace else, we'll probably get a 7th round compensatory pick anyways.  And if he signs for more money than that, we would get a higher compensatory pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if he's going to be traded it's most likely as part of a package to move up.  Most likely Dolphins, Redskins, Giants.  I think there is also a chance he could be included in a trade for Clark if that ever materializes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody is going to offer a high enough pick to make Ballard budge. Especially when Rosen will be available for trade after the Cards pick Murray.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Well....   Fitzpatrick appears to be the starter,  so, yes,  Miami would seem to be tanking....

 

And Keenan is no longer the starter in Denver.    Joe Flacco is with Keenan staying as the back-up.

 

Could Miami have some interest?     Sure.   But what would they offer?    My guess is not as much as some might think.....

 

Keenum was traded to the Redskins a few weeks back:

 

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/03/07/broncos-to-trade-case-keenum-to-redskins/

 

I do agree that Miami (or anybody else) wouldn't offer much and we might as well keep JB until his contract is up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am unsure what his worth actually is?  He most likely will be rendered a nice offer in Free Agency as there is always a team or two who just throw money away.  So it may be more prudent to wait for the comp pick and allow Indy a quality back up next season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't see him much more than a back up. Like Valpo said I think some values way over value him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just don't see him much more than a back up. Like Valpo said I think some values way over value him

Exactly. Earlier some were saying we need to trade him for a #1 or #2 pick. Now it's down to a comp pick if we don't resign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

40% to either the Dolphins or Redskins. Ballard will want a pass rusher like Sweat or Burns, or he may trade up for Christian Wilkins. They need a QB, and I can see us trading pick #26 and Brissett for their 1st rounder if the guy we want is still there.

If we do anything at all with JB, this would be the scenario I hope we employ, a move up in the first to get a defensive guy we prize. Our 26 + JB would be awesome in used capital to a qb needy team. The only team I can see that may have any desire to see another qb is Pitt at 20 but then what signal would that send to Ben and how would that upset the cart there? Another potential is possibly 17 with the Giants but I just am not sure our 26, JB is enough to entice them. May have to add in our 4th comp pick. Idk, I just don’t see the value for us to trade our back up and giving more picks. If it’s a swap of 1st rd picks and JB for a pick that fits us, we should absolutely do it and not look back. If not, we carry on and just hope we can showcase his talents in PS and he signs a bigger deal somewhere next season and we get a 3rd rd comp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

If we do anything at all with JB, this would be the scenario I hope we employ, a move up in the first to get a defensive guy we prize. Our 26 + JB would be awesome in used capital to a qb needy team. The only team I can see that may have any desire to see another qb is Pitt at 20 but then what signal would that send to Ben and how would that upset the cart there? Another potential is possibly 17 with the Giants but I just am not sure our 26, JB is enough to entice them. May have to add in our 4th comp pick. Idk, I just don’t see the value for us to trade our back up and giving more picks. If it’s a swap of 1st rd picks and JB for a pick that fits us, we should absolutely do it and not look back. If not, we carry on and just hope we can showcase his talents in PS and he signs a bigger deal somewhere next season and we get a 3rd rd comp. 

I posted a similar, but "roided up" version of the idea in another thread....

 

We're clearly in no man's land with Jacoby. We all love the guy, but he wants to start... he's in the last year of his deal and is almost a lock to be offered a shot somewhere next year in free agency. At BEST.... he walks and we get a comp pick at the bottom of Round 3.

 

So we have Brissett... who represents an interesting commodity to a team that may want a young QB with experience who isn't gonna break the bank. The Dolphins, Broncos, Giants, and Redskins all have a plausible need to address QB, among other needs.

 

We also have a #34 pick from the Jets.... our own #59 pick.... and every indication is that the true "difference makers" this year dry up at around the 15th pick in Round 1.

 

So.... we can play it conservatively and stand pat...which is fine if we're okay with what would most likely be a 4th round comp pick for Brissett...

 

OR

 

We can explore a package of our #26 pick.... one of our 2nd rounders and Brissett to one of the above teams and land a difference maker on defense.

 

The #34 pick is house money... and the value we get from Brissett, IMO, is better to be cashed in on in a trade-up package for a difference maker in this year's first round.... and at the same time retaining picks in rounds 2-7..... rather than getting a ho-hum comp pick after he walks.

 

I give all this maybe a 40% chance of happening.... but I wouldn't mind it a bit if it means we land a stud EDGE guy, a top 3-Tech or someone like Devin White.... with our "net loss" only being one of our 2nd rounders and Brissett.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said 20%, because I'm not a zero percent kind of person. But I think Brissett winds up a Colt for all of 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I said 20%, because I'm not a zero percent kind of person. But I think Brissett winds up a Colt for all of 2019.

I am thinking the same. As soon as I say zero percent he would be traded for something. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I just don't think Ballard is going to get an offer that would make him feel comfortable enough to trade Jacoby.     He has more value as our back-up than he does as trade bait.   I just don't think we get more than a 4, and possibly even only a 5.    And I believe Ballard would prefer the player to the pick.

 

If Brissett signs with another team in March, then perhaps we get a comp pick.    Or, perhaps we get him to re-sign with the Colts as a long-term back-up to Luck.    No way to know now,  way too soon.    But another year of a back-up plus a future compick pick might beat getting a 4 or 5 this year.

 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

 

p.s. --- if you think we're likely to trade JB,  ask yourself this?    Who would be our next back-up?     A rookie draft pick?    Highly doubtful.    A veteran free agent?    Most of the best ones are gone,  signed with other teams.    I don't think Ballard wants to go into 2019 without a quality back-up.

 

I'm thinking of maybe a sign and trade which would buy us time to get the right deal. I mean let Brissett know that's what were doing so we can get the best for both sides. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is no chance Brissett gets traded, he really is an integral part of this team, and Ballard and Reich have said over and over they are building a "team".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brissett is going to be viewed as a backup QB or a stop gap starter.  Every team wants a franchise QB and Brissett is not that.  

 

I don't see a trade happening.  When his contract expires, the Colts and other teams will bid on him to be a backup or stop gap.  We may get a comp pick for him if he signs elsewhere, which is about what we would get in a trade, so we may as well keep him through his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Exactly. Earlier some were saying we need to trade him for a #1 or #2 pick. Now it's down to a comp pick if we don't resign him.

 

Yep, the Ben Volin, Seattle offering a 2nd for JB story is where all that 1st and 2nd Rd pick nonsense started.  The trade never passed the smell test, but a lot wanted to believe it. 

JB is a good backup, but he's no starter, which translates to possible comp. pick or resign next off season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not enough teams needing QBs right now unfortunately.  he will probably walk next year and we get nothing except maybe a very late comp pick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

not enough teams needing QBs right now unfortunately.  he will probably walk next year and we get nothing except maybe a very late comp pick 

 

There are plenty of teams that need QBs. Four will most likely go in the 1st Rd 2019. Miami is in full tank mode to draft Tua from Alabama next year.

 

If, Brissett was a future starter somewhere, this would be the prime to trade him. Very doubtful IMO.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The value is way overhyped on JB. People act like if not traded we don’t get anything for this great player. That’s not true. He has shown little to be desired for some team to give a high pick for. At best we get maybe a 3rd for him but once he leaves in FA, which I see because he wants to start, we will probably get a 4th comp. I am fine with the comp pick because it’s not that bad of value for having a good back up this year that knows the system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't be surprised when we trade Brissett to the Giants for a 2nd round pick just saying..He has more value than many believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...