Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Prospects with potential for position transition

What are some of the more interesting position transitions you've heard people talk about for players in this draft? 

Here are some that I've heard about:

1. Trevon Wesco, West Virginia - TE-to-OT transition possibility. Wesco is one of the best blocking TEs(both in run blocking and pass protection) in the draft but doesn't seem to have the long-speed to be a real threat at the TE position. He still has good feet in the short area and has long arms(35"), which would play best if a team drafts him late in the draft with the thought of moving him to tackle and developing him over the next year or two. 

2. Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi State - QB-to-TE or QB-to-Gimmick/wildcat QB transition ... people in the league don't seem to love him at QB and teams have been asking him to run TE routes at his workouts because he has the athleticism and size to be a good offensive weapon, even if not at the position he played in college. Another thing I've heard is that some team might try to turn him into another Taysom Hill type of a gimmick change of pace QB/RB/WR type

3. Marvel Tell, USC - safety-to-CB transition - Tell tested like an elite athlete at the combine with incredible explosiveness and agility tests, which coupled with his relatively slight frame for safety position(under 200lbs at 6'2") and weak tackling, make him a candidate for a conversion into a CB in the league. He posses good coverage instincts and very good backpedal and flip of the hips(his agility scores don't lie). 

Do you have any other prospects that you expect will switch positions in the league? Would you want the Colts to draft any of them and at what point of the draft would you be OK drafting them? For the ones I mentioned - I wouldn't mind drafting Wesco in the 6th-7th range as a developmental OT and I wouldn't mind drafting Tell somewhere in the 4th-5th round range. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stitches said:

What are some of the more interesting position transitions you've heard people talk about for players in this draft? 

1. Trevon Wesco, West Virginia - TE-to-OT transition possibility. Wesco is one of the best blocking TEs(both in run blocking and pass protection) in the draft but doesn't seem to have the long-speed to be a real threat at the TE position. He still has good feet in the short area and has long arms(35"), which would play best if a team drafts him late in the draft with the thought of moving him to tackle and developing him over the next year or two. 

2. Nick Fitzgerald, Mississippi State - QB-to-TE or QB-to-Gimmick/wildcat QB transition ... people in the league don't seem to love him at QB and teams have been asking him to run TE routes at his workouts because he has the athleticism and size to be a good offensive weapon, even if not at the position he played in college. Another thing I've heard is that some team might try to turn him into another Taysom Hill type of a gimmick change of pace QB/RB/WR type

3. Marvel Tell, USC - safety-to-CB transition - Tell tested like an elite athlete at the combine with incredible explosiveness and agility tests, which coupled with his relatively slight frame for safety position(under 200lbs at 6'2") and weak tackling, make him a candidate for a conversion into a CB in the league. He posses good coverage instincts and very good backpedal and flip of the hips(his agility scores don't lie). 

Do you have any other prospects that you expect will switch positions in the league? Would you want the Colts to draft any of them and at what point of the draft would you be OK drafting them? For the ones I mentioned - I wouldn't mind drafting Wesco in the 6th-7th range as a developmental OT and I wouldn't mind drafting Tell somewhere in the 4th-5th round range. 

I’d have some interest in Tell but what concerns me about him would be, if he tested so well in areas that would benefit him as a CB pick, why didn’t he play that at USC? Did USC have excellent cb’s in their system already? If so, are any of those guys coming into the draft? I would think most teams would covet a cb over a safety any day. If he can transfer the safety skill into a cb spot, and he has excellent ball tracking skills, he would certainly sound like a good candidate to try out and a value pick on day 3. 

23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’d have some interest in Tell but what concerns me about him would be, if he tested so well in areas that would benefit him as a CB pick, why didn’t he play that at USC? Did USC have excellent cb’s in their system already? If so, are any of those guys coming into the draft? I would think most teams would covet a cb over a safety any day. If he can transfer the safety skill into a cb spot, and he has excellent ball tracking skills, he would certainly sound like a good candidate to try out and a value pick on day 3. 

USC seem to always have high end recruits if not players. This year they have Iman Marshall, who will probably be drafted somewhere in day 3. I don't know why/if they didn't try him at CB.

1 minute ago, LockeDown said:

Fitzgerald has  good size and is a good runner..  He wasn’t a burner, but he ran a lot including  some really long runs . He was under the same tutelage and system as Dak Prescott was.

He ran 4.64 at the combine. This is at 6'5" 226lbs... 

10 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Yeah, with all of the super fast QBs these days, I was comparing him to them. I’m a Miss State alum so I’ve been pulling for him

Do you think he can play QB in the league, or do you think he has a better chance if he gives the TE conversion a try? 

3 hours ago, stitches said:

I like the chance to see if Wesco can transition....one thing to note though is that Indy still has Antonio Garcia who was a 3rd rounder of the Pats that had blood Colts in his lungs.  To succeed in the NFL, you have to take chances.

If Tell has tackling issues he won't fit in at this scheme.

Great post man, I love thinking outside the box!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stitches said:

Do you think he can play QB in the league, or do you think he has a better chance if he gives the TE conversion a try? 

He comes across as cocky  so I would think he believes he can play QB. I think  He could definitely pull off TE or gadget play guy. 

7 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

He comes across as cocky  so I would think he believes he can play QB. I think  He could definitely pull off TE or gadget play guy. 

I was listening to some podcast and they said that when NFL teams asked him to run routes as a TE he first said "No way, I'm a QB" but later thought it through and did what they asked of him. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I was listening to some podcast and they said that when NFL teams asked him to run routes as a TE he first said "No way, I'm a QB" but later thought it through and did what they asked of him. 

Haha.  That sounds like him. Tebow had the same opportunity .  By the way, his mentor was Tebow’s mentor too.  Imagine that.

Another prospect I’ve heard of switching is Charles Omenihu. He worked out as a DE at the combine but put up subpar numbers for a true edge rusher. I’ve heard he may be better inside full time which he has experience with.

I’ve heard some analysts say Iman Marshall might be a candidate to move to safety. Personally I like him at corner in a cover-2 (hint hint).

Also there are some that think Rashan Gary May be better inside long term.

Juan Thornhill put up elite combine numbers. He’s played corner for a full season before, and some like him there because of his ball skills (13 career INTS).

Because he’s undersized, Savage could be a full time nickel corner or a Matthieu type hybrid.

• Like 2

Not really a big fan of taking on prospects with a position change in mind (unless it's very late in the draft). Definitely not something I'd want to do in the first 3 or 4 rounds.

The only ones that I'd really be interested in is big DE to DT, big CB to S, big WR to flex TE.

One guy that switched position in college that I like, is Jalen Hurd. He played RB (was pretty good) at TN, then switched to WR when he left (also pretty good). A lot of boards list him in the sleeper category. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...