Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Moves 4/15/2019

ProblChld32

All three are very good role players. It will be very interesting to watch the WR competition.  

No one is guaranteed a roster spot but right now it sure looks like TY, Funchess and Rogers are the first 3.  I counted 11 on the current roster, and I’m hoping they bring Dontrelle back.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

And we are Now good at WR.   Nothing needed in the draft except Defense and Oline 

I don’t think you’ll find a lot who will agree with you here.  Funchess is on a prove it deal, and besides TY we really don’t have a proven playmaker WR.  I like Rogers, Pascal, etc., and I hope Cain is the real deal, but we need more electricity!

I wont be surprised if we get a day 2 WR.  Competition is always a good thing. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I don’t think you’ll find a lot who will agree with you here.  Funchess is on a prove it deal, and besides TY we really don’t have a proven playmaker WR.  I like Rogers, Pascal, etc., and I hope Cain is the real deal, but we need more electricity!

Cant predict when the BPA will be available at any position.  Saying Day two is putting the pick in a box.   Ballard won’t ever do that 

Fans who want a proven WR besides TY arent going to get it. It's now draft time and any WR we pick up will have to prove himself. 

Fans who want a proven WR besides TY arent going to get it. It's now draft time and any WR we pick up will have to prove himself. 

31 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Cant predict when the BPA will be available at any position.  Saying Day two is putting the pick in a box.   Ballard won’t ever do that 

Just said I wouldn’t be surprised, not predicting it.  I don’t know why anyone feels the need to predict anything, but that’s another story. 

I think every pick is going to be BPA (minus QB for days 1 and 2).  But I think there’s a lot of talented WRs who could well be the BPA for any one of our picks. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Obviously not proven. But we do need someone who has potential to be a playmaker in the future years.   That may be Cain, or even Funchess.  But it could also be a draft pick.  

Besides potentially Cain, I don’t see one on the roster right now.  

• Like 1

I like Rogers, glad he's back, and liked the step forward he took last year. That said, he was the 99th WR in production last year IIRC. DF was 82nd... Neither should wow anyone, or think we're automatically good at WR. If you're banking on substantial improvement from both, OK, but proven production they are not. Toss in a WR that didn't take a snap last year and is rehabbing an injury, and you have a lot more Qs than As. Lot's of "potential" in the group, but production is a huge Q.

16 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think Rogers makes the final 53 tbh. He's just not very valuable.

unless they draft a slot, he'll be on the roster. i think he'll be on the roster regardless. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you don't think he is valuable as our kick returner?

I honestly think we'll find someone better in the draft or as an UDFA that can be a kick returner and play better. Deebo Samuel is the extreme example, but other wrs, cbs, and rbs can do it as well with better production. Rogers was cringe to watch last year.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I honestly think we'll find someone better in the draft or as an UDFA that can be a kick returner and play better. Deebo Samuel is the extreme example, but other wrs, cbs, and rbs can do it as well with better production. Rogers was cringe to watch last year.

A cringe?  You mean his protection of the ball? You mean his 1 career fumble?

Exactly what are you talking about? I am curious.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

A cringe?  You mean his protection of the ball? You mean his 1 career fumble?

Exactly what are you talking about? I am curious.

His drops, his lack of production, how unaware he was on the field in the first half of the season before we brought inman in. He was a horrible WR to have to watch as a Colts fan during that early portion of the season.

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

His drops, his lack of production, how unaware he was on the field in the first half of the season before we brought inman in. He was a horrible WR to have to watch as a Colts fan during that early portion of the season.

The question was his value as a kick returner.

I think you are exaggerating his drops. He had 3 or less last season.

53 catches for 485 yds and 2 ts.

9 catches for 76 yds in the playoffs.

He was sure handed on the punt returns.

He will make this years roster .

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Fox (typically the most lenient and pro-player except for STATS/NBC which is garbage) showed 5 drops. PP said 6. Even STATS/NBC who historically undercounts drops, shows the Colts with the 3rd most drops in the league. 

I do agree however that he'll be on the roster. 

6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Fox (typically the most lenient and pro-player except for STATS/NBC which is garbage) showed 5 drops. PP said 6. Even STATS/NBC who historically undercounts drops, shows the Colts with the 3rd most drops in the league. 

I do agree however that he'll be on the roster. 

OK, so you think 5 drops on 72 targets is that bad?

14 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rogers will make the roster. He played well the 2nd half of the season and had the game winning TD catch vs the Giants in a critical win late in the season. I still think we draft a WR in round 2 or 3 though. 

I agree Roger's will make the roster.

I am thinking a WR will be taken in round 3 or 4 myself.

I see us going defense line 1st round and o-line 2nd round.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

OK, so you think 5 drops on 72 targets is that bad?

it's not awful, but it's certainly worse than average. so yes, it's bad. and that's going with lenient Fox at 5 instead of PP at 6. 

having a receiving corp that's top 3 in drops is simply bad though. and we just added another guy known as a dropper. we would have been #1 adding DF's stats...

14 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

it's not awful, but it's certainly worse than average. so yes, it's bad. and that's going with lenient Fox at 5 instead of PP at 6. 

having a receiving corp that's top 3 in drops is simply bad though. and we just added another guy known as a dropper. we would have been #1 adding DF's stats...

You are obsessed.

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Ebron had a worse drop percentage.  We’re keeping him, right?

Besides, they think enough of Rogers to give him a 2nd round tender and pay the man.  I think he makes the team.  

7 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There are a lot of folks who don’t seem to get how valuable a PR is and that it’s a skill. We aren’t talking about returning KO’s. You can’t just stick someone back there on punt returns.

Rogers has value as a PR and is really unchallenged at the moment. That gives him an inside track for a roster spot. We might recall he was the guy catching balls for Luck during his rehab that might say something about his bond with the QB just something to think about. 

I think there too much being made about drops. We had a bad stretch with young guys last year. It’s part of growing and let’s not forget there were a lot of other things happening. Luck was shaking off rust regaining confidence, rookie coaches new system and our best guy was out. 

Our current WR room reminds me of our CB room going into the draft last year. There was a lot of talk how we need to draft CB’s. My thought was we just added young talent and that  we like our guys. We didn’t draft a CB and by years end everyone liked our guys Moore Q and Desir.

I am not saying no way do we draft a WR.  I am saying we added a lot of young talent and I think we like our guys. Fountain, Johnson, Pascal, Ishmael and Cain will be in just their second year with the team and we added Fuchness. There is a reason we brought those guys to town. It takes longer then a year to develop WR’s. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I agree with you, while I like the group of wr’s we have, I would not be upset if we got another playmaker in the draft and Cain comes in and shows he has the goods we’ve expected. We have TY and can sign him to a final 3 yr deal, have Cain step up, have another wr from this draft perform and grow for the 2020 year and then we literally have 3 horses in the stable as well as the peripheral fringe guys like Pascal etc... unless Funchess comes in and just balls out, I’m not sure he is considered as a building piece to the CB world, he is the gap for 2019 imho. I still wouldn’t be upset to see Inman back on a 2-3 yr deal. 

• Like 1

So it looks like Rogers got a one year 3mil contract.  Not signed long term but still getting a chance to prove himself.  I certainly didn't love him last year, but he has improved in production in 2017 and 2018.  If he can make similar gains he could be a real asset to this team.  

No problem giving him a chance.  

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I agree with you, while I like the group of wr’s we have, I would not be upset if we got another playmaker in the draft and Cain comes in and shows he has the goods we’ve expected. We have TY and can sign him to a final 3 yr deal, have Cain step up, have another wr from this draft perform and grow for the 2020 year and then we literally have 3 horses in the stable as well as the peripheral fringe guys like Pascal etc... unless Funchess comes in and just balls out, I’m not sure he is considered as a building piece to the CB world, he is the gap for 2019 imho. I still wouldn’t be upset to see Inman back on a 2-3 yr deal. 

I recently watched some of the highlights from our last several games. I’m with you on Inman. If he’s our #4 or 5, that means we have a heck of a group.  He balled out in those games. 

I know he said he wants to stay here. No one has signed him.  I wonder what the issue is?  

14 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Yea will prob draft some speedy wr in round 4 or later who can jump high, but can't  catch