Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Miller New Scouting Notebook: Considerable Buzz around the league Colts at 34 are looking to draft WR

16 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Quick question, "IF" any of the three players you mentioned are 75%-80% guaranteed to be there by pick #34, Who are you selecting at #26? 

A J Brown, hands down. Has the physical make up that makes it difficult to jam if played outside, has the experience, quickness, athleticism, good feet and YAC while playing big slot. 

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

A J Brown, hands down. Has the physical make up that makes it difficult to jam if played outside, has the experience, quickness, athleticism, good feet and YAC while playing big slot. 

Yea, I like AJ's game a lot. Back-to-back seasons of 1200+ yards didn't come by accident. I feel as though he's a complete WR. I HOPE he's there at #34.

• Like 2

First, let's get the quote correct

File this nugget away for Friday night of the draft: There is considerable buzz from opposing teams that the Indianapolis Colts could target a wide receiver at No. 34 overall. If Oklahoma's Marquise Brown or South Carolina's Deebo Samuel are available, they could be a fit for the Colts.

I will not be surprised if the Colts draft a WR in the 2nd round, but to me, this is a whole lot of nothing.  Other teams speculating the Colts could target a WR at #34.  

Well, of course, they could target a WR at 34.  They could also target a LB, OL DL, Safety, CB, RB, TE.  I think the only sure bets are the Colts will NOT target a QB, kicker or punter at pick #34.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

He has so much speed it could be fun to see him with Ty and then having a big body like funchess could be lethal. As long as he doesn’t have the attitude like his cousin. 

Yeah, I'm just forever scared about drafting small speedsters after Dorsett. That being said Dorsett wasn't even that good in college and Brown was. Ironically, I do love Isabella though but probably because he wouldn't demand as high a pick.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

If they do take a receiver, just know that it is a long term investment.  Don’t expect a high roi in year one. 

Some yes, some no. Right here at home, reports last year said that Cain had played his way into the starting X position before injury. In Carolina, DJ Moore became WR1 pretty early in the season (one reason why they dropped DF). Sutton and Ridley did very well too in their first years. 

In general, I agree. When you have a QB like Luck though, I think it's easier for a guy to do well. If he's already a good route runner, much easier. 

7 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Miller stated the buzz was from "opposing teams" meaning it's all speculation. Nobody outside of the building knows what Ballard is going to do.

Agree. I would say though that looking at the team and stats, it's not mystery why many would think WR early, or why a good portion of the mocks have a WR going early.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

The safety position is the biggest problem. If we do not get one in the first 2 rounds, the drop off will be considerable, IMO. WR and RB depth carries into Rounds 3 and later, that has to factor in at some point.

I do think S is in the top 3, but I wouldn't call it the biggest problem. We resigned Geathers, and added Kindred. I do think we need an upgrade though. I think DB play in general is going to look a lot better just because of the upgrades to the DL.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Would anyone be concerned with  the foot surgery marquise brown had?

i'd prefer someone without recent injury concern. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

First, let's get the quote correct

I will not be surprised if the Colts draft a WR in the 2nd round, but to me, this is a whole lot of nothing.  Other teams speculating the Colts could target a WR at #34.  

Well, of course, they could target a WR at 34.  They could also target a LB, OL DL, Safety, CB, RB, TE.  I think the only sure bets are the Colts will NOT target a QB, kicker or punter at pick #34.

Geez.  That quote was nothing revealing.  EVERYBODY believes the Colts COULD target a WR in the 2nd round.

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Is it safe to say that marquis brown is a TY clone.

Yup.  I don't buy it.  Look at Ballard and the Colts drafting of wrs. They want size; they make bigger targets and help in the run game.  It seems like the Colts are going to try and build a bully of a team on offense.  Quite the opposite of most dome teams and I like it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yup.  I don't buy it.  Look at Ballard and the Colts drafting of wrs. They want size; they make bigger targets and help in the run game.  It seems like the Colts are going to try and build a bully of a team on offense.  Quite the opposite of most dome teams and I like it

But we signed Funchess with size. You have to have speed also. We have size with Ebron and funchess. This guy could be the heir to TY. 

54 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

You have a pretty small sample size on which to grade or trend Ballard, so I wouldn't automatically say all Ballard wants is size. You also have to account who we have already and what we were drafting for.  Our best WR who is cemented in is small Z. Ballard was likely drafting for X or big slot when he spent little draft capital (5th and 6th) last year taking Fountain and Cain. Fountain is not really the biggest guy at 6-1. Cain bigger at 6-2. 

And size isn't everything. Speed/quickness equates to separations which is just as important as size. Our biggest need is X imo, but would could literally take any position. If they're going X again in the draft, then I would agree we're going for 6-2 or taller. Preferably that comes with sub 4.5 speed, hands, and ability to beat the press.

13 hours ago, RNGDShobby said:

Yes please. At 59. Although that is unlikely! Deebo at 34 and Hooker at 59 I'd be happy with.

That would be amazing, same as Deebo I doubt Hooker falls that far but weird things happen during the draft.

21 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Yeah, I'm just forever scared about drafting small speedsters after Dorsett. That being said Dorsett wasn't even that good in college and Brown was. Ironically, I do love Isabella though but probably because he wouldn't demand as high a pick.

I've said it before and I will say it again, because many Colts fans seem to have been left with bad taste in their mouths because of the Dorsett pick and it affects their evaluation both of the WR position and of small speedsters. The problem of the Dorsett pick was not that he was a WR or that he was a small speedster. It was that he was not a good WR or good small speedster. If he turned out as good as ... Tyreek Hill for example, noone would have a problem with that pick. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

But we signed Funchess with size. You have to have speed also. We have size with Ebron and funchess. This guy could be the heir to TY. 

Or they could get both. Size and Speed. D.K. Metcalf if available or Hakeem Butler. Butler is more likely to be there. He seems to compare to Alshon Jeffrey who Ballard went after a few years back. And don’t forget Cain. He’s 6’2” and ran in the 4.4 range in college.

The way I look at it is we signed Frank's guy Funchess day 1 of FA and Cain looks to be on track to be ready for training camp.  I'm not getting the feeling we will be picking WR in the 1st. two rounds.  I'm starting to think Defense, Defense, Offense with the first three picks in no particular order with WR being a candidate after the first two rounds. 

I would say that with any WR they target or draft the exact position with X, Z, big slot and all that goes out the window. Reich wants to move guys around and scheme guys open. To me Ballard is looking at guys but Reich to me has a lot of say in guys. He asked for Funchess and Ballard got him for him. 

That being said AJ Brown to me is a great fit for us at 34. He runs solid routes and has good hands. He isn’t small so he can be the Reggie type and be a possession guy. We need the solid guy to go along with TY and AJ fits. He could play slot and outside allowing Reich to have some good schemes with all of them. Just my opinion anyways. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

I would say that with any WR they target or draft the exact position with X, Z, big slot and all that goes out the window. Reich wants to move guys around and scheme guys open. To me Ballard is looking at guys but Reich to me has a lot of say in guys. He asked for Funchess and Ballard got him for him. 

That being said AJ Brown to me is a great fit for us at 34. He runs solid routes and has good hands. He isn’t small so he can be the Reggie type and be a possession guy. We need the solid guy to go along with TY and AJ fits. He could play slot and outside allowing Reich to have some good schemes with all of them. Just my opinion anyways. 

Your comment about AJ and Reggie having some similarities rings true. AJ has good size, excellent speed, and is terrific after the catch. I can see him being the pick over Brown all day long. 

On 4/13/2019 at 4:25 PM, Alex22 said:

Riley Ridley PLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He should be considered with our 3rd round pick

I think with the addition of Funchess, the development of Cain, and the development of the OTHER rookie WRs from last year.....  we SHOULD be OK with taking a WR in round 3  I THINK ONE of Isabella, Ridley, Boykin, or E. Hall

will still be on the board

I think a significantly bigger need is DL (two spots) and SS

IF the targeted DL is gone... then MAYBE a WR.... or a CB with 2nd round pick

• Thanks 1