Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Miller New Scouting Notebook: Considerable Buzz around the league Colts at 34 are looking to draft WR

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Hakeem ... or AJ... or Hollywood(3 very different players... I'd love any of them)... there are a ton of good players at the position in the second round range. 

I am even ok with J.J at 34. But I want A.J more than anyone.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, twfish said:

I am even ok with J.J at 34. But I want A.J more than anyone.

Yep... AJ has grown on me a lot during the process. I wasn't the highest on him when it all began, but he's up there. 

Also... interesting where teams put Deebo Samuel... Also... Parris Campbell... I forgot about him. I wouldn't mind him at 34 too... 

Just now, stitches said:

Yep... AJ has grown on me a lot during the process. I wasn't the highest on him when it all began, but he's up there. 

Also... interesting where teams put Deebo Samuel... Also... Parris Campbell... I forgot about him. I wouldn't mind him at 34 too... 

Well after all ive been shouting it in your ear since like december so..... lol At 34 i like A.J brown. J.J, butler, and harry. I would be okay with harmon there but ive fallen off on him some from my original scouting report.

3 minutes ago, twfish said:

Well after all ive been shouting it in your ear since like december so..... lol At 34 i like A.J brown. J.J, butler, and harry. I would be okay with harmon there but ive fallen off on him some from my original scouting report.

:) Yeah... and I see you having Butler almost as high as I have him... almost... people will be shocked when I put out my final board for the Colts... I'm telling you. This is just a tease but Butler will be high. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

:) Yeah... and I see you having Butler almost as high as I have him... almost... people will be shocked when I put out my final board for the Colts... I'm telling you. This is just a tease but Butler will be high. 

Ballard really values measuarbles so it wouldnt shock me if ballard has him high. I think one WR Im lower on than most is Hollywood Brown, Give me Andy Isabella.

3 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I just hope we do go WR in the 2nd. If either brown is there i will be happy. I'll say this though. Deebo Samuel was killer at the Senior Bowl. He was working Rock Ya-sin. He also went to same college as Darius.

no Samuel went to South Carolina. Leonard went to South Carolina State

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I just hope we do go WR in the 2nd. If either brown is there i will be happy. I'll say this though. Deebo Samuel was killer at the Senior Bowl. He was working Rock Ya-sin. He also went to same college as Darius.

not the same college. One is South Carolina, the other South Carolina State. 

• Like 1

Oops my bad. Hahahah. Still Deebo put on a clinic at the Senior Bowl. His route running was so impressive, I was in aww watching him. I will say this though. Hollywood brown could be a nice addition. I see the way KC uses Tyreek and his speed, Hollywood could be a game changer. Not comparing him to Tyreek but speed kills.

• Like 1

AJ, Hakeem, and Deebo Samuel are the only ones I feel can project to big slot/small slot/outside wide out versatility for our system to be worthy of No.34. Deebo Samuel's injury concerns also make it slightly iffy to justify No.34 if he has to play a high number of snaps, IMO. Paris Campbell, it is like there is not enough film of his to project that it is tough to see how he will hold up with 60-70% of snaps if he has to play outside. JJAW - I cannot see him projected to big slot, so that drops him a few notches to me. Projecting Deebo and Paris will be what Ballard and his scouts are paid for, it is something far above my pay grade. :) 

So, AJ and Hakeem would give us the Funchess/Alshon Jeffrey/JuJu mold type wide outs and increase our versatility. The game is shifting towards underneath passing, separation and YAC more with teams investing more in the middle of the line. Investing in the middle of the OL/DL, underneath pass catchers and being able to play with smaller LBs/safeties or bigger LBs based on opponent game plans is what winning football has become. 

37 minutes ago, chad72 said:

AJ, Hakeem, and Deebo Samuel are the only ones I feel can project to big slot/small slot/outside wide out versatility for our system to be worthy of No.34. Deebo Samuel's injury concerns also make it slightly iffy to justify No.34 if he has to play a high number of snaps, IMO. Paris Campbell, it is like there is not enough film of his to project that it is tough to see how he will hold up with 60-70% of snaps if he has to play outside. JJAW - I cannot see him projected to big slot, so that drops him a few notches to me. Projecting Deebo and Paris will be what Ballard and his scouts are paid for, it is something far above my pay grade. :) 

So, AJ and Hakeem would give us the Funchess/Alshon Jeffrey/JuJu mold type wide outs and increase our versatility. The game is shifting towards underneath passing, separation and YAC more with teams investing more in the middle of the line. Investing in the middle of the OL/DL, underneath pass catchers and being able to play with smaller LBs/safeties or bigger LBs based on opponent game plans is what winning football has become. 

AJBrown is projected as a slot receiver from day 1.  I haven't read anything suggesting he's ready for the outside.

13 minutes ago, DougDew said:

AJ Brown is projected as a slot receiver from day 1.  I haven't read anything suggesting he's ready for the outside.

Variety of routes a person can run with the high athleticism, very good feet and body control makes it easier to project him as a productive WR for the outside, IMO. Besides, the Colts don't just use TY outside, do they? Steelers made Antonio Brown run underneath so many times out of the slot, plus countless examples in the NFL. 

Here are a few articles you might want to read:

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/2/27/18237298/nfl-draft-2019-aj-brown-wide-receiver-scouting-report-breakdown-ole-miss

https://www.colts.com/news/colts-at-the-combine-is-a-j-brown-the-dog-that-colts-need-at-receiver

Like i said give me Paris Campbell. Pair that with TY, Funchess, Cain, Ebron and whoever else and watch out. Im certain Campbell is real high on Ballards board. They keep real quiet on a prospect when they have high interest. It doesnt leak out until late. Ballard like Ohio State players. I believe Isabella is ranked high on our board also.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, krunk said:

Like i said give me Paris Campbell. Pair that with TY, Funchess, Cain, Ebron and whoever else and watch out. Im certain Campbell is real high on Ballards board. They keep real quiet on a prospect when they have high interest. It doesnt leak out until late. Ballard like Ohio State players. I believe Isabella is ranked high on our board also.

How do you know that? 

I do know that with the EP concepts that Reich and Sirianni run, quick hitters have become a staple of our offense and underneath separation/quickness/YAC are greater attributes for this offense. 

AJ, Paris, Deebo should be up there on his board. Hakeem doesn't separate great initially but once he has a few strides on you, he becomes a beast. You need all kinds of WRs to win battles against different opponents. 

19 minutes ago, krunk said:

We are looking for a slot. Almost every receiver weve spoken with is a slot guy. 

I'm not saying we have found a slot guy but I saw some tweets that broke down Funchess and that he plays his best in the slot. Read that his drops are significantly lower and only had a couple drops. Also, it said his route running is better suited for short intermediate routes. I'm wondering if Funchess plans to play a lot in the inside this year. I know Ballard and Reich likes using guys strengths. Not saying it will happen but thought it was quite interesting.

Here is the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/30/panthers-nfl-free-agency-devin-funchess-colts-andrew-luck-t-y-hilton/amp/

It’s still hard for me to believe Ballard takes a WR with either of our 1st 2 picks. He said this is a make or break year for Clark. To me, That means he is drafting an o lineman fairly high for sure to push that competition.  We know he wants a Dlineman  higher, so I still don’t see him going skill players early.

• Like 1

If Ballard were looking for a guy solely to work out of the slot, that pick isn't likely to come in the first 2 days of the draft. I think they're looking for a future #1, and aren't so much concerned with where they'll line up. I like Nkeal Harry the most of all the WRs, he has a lot of Deandre Hopkins elements to his game, and the guys tested really similarly at their respective Combines and Pro Days. I think there's also a lot of quality WRs that will be available with the latter pick in the 2nd, so if there's a better positional value at 34, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go there. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I'm not saying we have found a slot guy but I saw some tweets that broke down Funchess and that he plays his best in the slot. Read that his drops are significantly lower and only had a couple drops. Also, it said his route running is better suited for short intermediate routes. I'm wondering if Funchess plans to play a lot in the inside this year. I know Ballard and Reich likes using guys strengths. Not saying it will happen but thought it was quite interesting.

Here is the link.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/30/panthers-nfl-free-agency-devin-funchess-colts-andrew-luck-t-y-hilton/amp/

Funchess can play that role well also, however due to his size i think its better to play him in such a way where hes moved around to take advantage of specific matchups.  It makes it that much harder matchup wise when you bring in guys like Isabella or Campbell who can also work the inside. I like Cambell a little better than Isabella because of the size, but both of those dudes can fly and they present real matchup problems for linebackers and safeties. Ultimately what im looking for us to have is host of guys that present real matchup issues for the opponent. Ambien players like Venturi says.

About this buzz.....

I seriously doubt the buzz is coming out of the Colts camp.   As everyone here knows,  the Colts have a well earned reputation for running a tight ship.

So, this buzz is other teams looking at our roster and trying to guess in which direction we might go in.   

Could we go WR at 34?     Sure.     

Personally,  I think it's more likely that we go WR at 59 or 89,  but that may be just me.

What we do with a WR may also be impacted if we take an OL on Day 1 or Day 2?     That would mean two of our first four picks would be offense,  and obviously two on defense.    That's not ideal in a draft that is so heavy with defensive talent.   I'm not a fan of 2 on O and 2 on D with our first 4.

But I trust Ballard and his team to find players anywhere and everywhere.

55 minutes ago, chad72 said:

How do you know that? 

I do know that with the EP concepts that Reich and Sirianni run, quick hitters have become a staple of our offense and underneath separation/quickness/YAC are greater attributes for this offense. 

AJ, Paris, Deebo should be up there on his board. Hakeem doesn't separate great initially but once he has a few strides on you, he becomes a beast. You need all kinds of WRs to win battles against different opponents. 

Because hes drafted someone from Ohio St in both of his drafts. They also run similar schemes as we do. As far as AJ and Deebo are concerned i believe we are definitely interested and i could be wrong, but i believe they have Campbell and Isabella with higher grades due to the real matchup issues and explosive plays they can cause. 

There are quite a few talented WRs that should be available in the second round.......... 

I REALLY want a SS with the first 2nd, and best DL (or if one of the 3 top OTs slip) with 26 

Chauncy Gardner or Juan Thornhill seem like a great fit for this defense at 34

SURELY, a talented WR is still on the board at our second, second pick

41 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

It’s still hard for me to believe Ballard takes a WR with either of our 1st 2 picks. He said this is a make or break year for Clark. To me, That means he is drafting an o lineman fairly high for sure to push that competition.  We know he wants a Dlineman  higher, so I still don’t see him going skill players early.

I dont think you have to take somebody high to beat out or replace Clark. Whoever they draft is going to have to sit a year or two anyway.

31 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not necessarily at 26 or 34, but what you guys think of Ridley from Georgia?

I remember seeing a few Georgia games and he looked good.

I really like Ridley as an option with our late 3rd round pick. I'd prefer doing that and getting 2 studs in our front 7 on defense with picks 26 and 34. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

Hakeem ... or AJ... or Hollywood(3 very different players... I'd love any of them)... there are a ton of good players at the position in the second round range. 

Quick question, "IF" any of the three players you mentioned are 75%-80% guaranteed to be there by pick #34, Who are you selecting at #26? 

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

If Ballard were looking for a guy solely to work out of the slot, that pick isn't likely to come in the first 2 days of the draft. I think they're looking for a future #1, and aren't so much concerned with where they'll line up. I like Nkeal Harry the most of all the WRs, he has a lot of Deandre Hopkins elements to his game, and the guys tested really similarly at their respective Combines and Pro Days. I think there's also a lot of quality WRs that will be available with the latter pick in the 2nd, so if there's a better positional value at 34, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go there. 

Not true. Theres plenty of slots worthy of a 2nd or 3rd round pick in this draft.