Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offseason and going into the season things to look out for

1. Luck, Geathers, and Hooker are not rehabbing injuries or surgeries this off season. For the first time in a long time they are healthy going into off season workouts.

2. With Houston playing primarily DE will he be able to get 15 sacks this season. I think so.

3. Will Cain play well and live up to his hype. Will funchsss provide the exciting plays he is capable of. 

4. Will Turay working hard and putting on weight make him one of our best edge rushers going into next season.

This is one of the best off seasons the colts have had in a long time. Second year under Reich should be fun.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

1. Luck, Geathers, and Hooker are not rehabbing injuries or surgeries this off season. For the first time in a long time they are healthy going into off season workouts.

2. With Houston playing primarily DE will he be able to get 15 sacks this season. I think so.

3. Will Cain play well and live up to his hype. Will funchsss provide the exciting plays he is capable of. 

4. Will Turay working hard and putting on weight make him one of our best edge rushers going into next season.

This is one of the best off seasons the colts have had in a long time. Second year under Reich should be fun.

Don't forget the draft in two weeks either. Another influx of talent that will be added to the team. This season, we could make a SB run if things fall right. I'm finally having fun again after last year! :thmup:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

1. This is more important than most people think.

2. If Houston stays healthy and has a steady rotation behind him and keep his snaps down, 10+ is certainly possible.

3. As much as Reich has talked about Funchess in the slot I believe the staff feels VERY STRONGLY in Cain and/or a rookie playing on the outside opposite of T.Y.

4. Turay and Lewis will likely end up at around 8-10 sacks apiece as rotational players.

5. Second year for the coaching staff and second year in the system for our 2017 and 2018 draft picks. Plus 9 more draft picks this year (plus UDFA's) to add to the core.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

1. This is more important than most people think.

2. If Houston stays healthy and has a steady rotation behind him and keep his snaps down, 10+ is certainly possible.

3. As much as Reich has talked about Funchess in the slot I believe the staff feels VERY STRONGLY in Cain and/or a rookie playing on the outside opposite of T.Y.

4. Turay and Lewis will likely end up at around 8-10 sacks apiece as rotational players.

5. Second year for the coaching staff and second year in the system for our 2017 and 2018 draft picks. Plus 9 more draft picks this year (plus UDFA's) to add to the core.

Your number 5!

The entire 2018 and 2017 classes should all improve.   The only question is...   how much?

Their improvement will help write the story of how good the Colts are in 2019.

• Like 2

There are so many story lines going into this year. Luckily, most are good/positive.

QB - Luck was fantastic coming off injury. This year he can put worries aside and concentrate on chemistry. Getting Cain back (if healed and still speedy) could do wonders for his yards/attempt and INT rate. I think what AL needs most is better separation from his WR group (we had only one guy ranked in the top 80 in separation) to cut down on those INTs.

OL - Big step forward last year. Gelling is no longer a concern. Would love to see our power success rank improve a bit. If the unit stays healthy, year two could be very special for this group.

RB - Mack had a breakout year after his early injuries. He was a top 10 guy starting week 6. Would like to see him improve his catching, but overall he's more than fine if he can stay healthy. Hines did better than expected. 700+ all purpose yards IIRC. I think we could see his usage in the passing game increase. Kid has some wheels and is a hard cover. Would like to see us add a power compliment in the mid rounds. 

TE - If Doyle stays healthy, we have the best 1-2 combo in the league (most expensive too). Will WR/TE combo Funchess take away targets from this Ebron/Doyle, or will we see another stellar RZ year from EBron. Both Ebron and Doyle are coming into contract years, so the competition should be great. 

WR - Easily the biggest wildcard on the O. Can TY stay healthy. How will they use Funchess? Can Cain be that vertical threat to keep double teams off TY? Will they draft another option at X, look to upgrade slot (Rogers), or find a speedy multi use guy that can play anywhere that might even be TY's heir apparent at Z? Will we see some of the projects (Hogan, Ishmael, Veasy, Fountain, Johnson) step up?

DE/DL - Very interested to see how this group grows. Adding Houston who will get a lot of attention should raise the groups level of play a bunch. Getting an upgrade at iDL in the draft with pass rushing skills could make this group top 10. Lots of moving parts, and should be lots of quality depth. If Turay takes a step forward, this group could dominate. 

LB - We hit the lottery with Leonard. Will his frosh success continue? I think so. Walker hopefully stays healthy for this year's training camp, and should take a step forward in his 3rd year, and 2nd year in Eberflus's D. Will be interesting to see if we look for another LB in the middle or late rounds. 

DB - Locking down Desir tells us something. Moore is coming up on a contract year, and should play his butt off. Moore had similar stats with Desir, and I think we'll be fine at CB. Hooker if healthy should be just fine. Geathers if healthy will be fine too, but that's a big IF, and given we gave him only a one year deal tells me we're going to upgrade. Overall, I expect the DB group to look much better simply because it's their second year in the system, and the improvements on the DL alone will make their jobs easier.

Coaching - This will be an interesting year for Reich. Second year in his systems, an upgraded OL, healthy QB, breakout LB, new toys along the DL. No gaping holes really anywhere. I didn't really care for his play calling last year, and definitely not vs KC. Can he open the playbook up in year 2. How serious is he about committing to the run? Will we finally see 4 vert?

• Like 2

I still think Inman is a big piece to the puzzle.  He came in partway through the season, and almost immediately became the 2nd best WR on the team.  Now it's possible that Funchess and Cain both pass him up, but if Dontrelle Inman is your 4th best WR, you're going to have a very good season.   JMO.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

I still think Inman is a big piece to the puzzle.  He came in partway through the season, and almost immediately became the 2nd best WR on the team.  Now it's possible that Funchess and Cain both pass him up, but if Dontrelle Inman is your 4th best WR, you're going to have a very good season.   JMO.

I completely agree with what you wrote about Inman but as of now he isn't on the team.  That may change after the draft though?

To expand on some prior points: 

I feel Hooker was never 100% last year, hopefully he is this season.

Houston not only brings a serious pass rushing threat to Indy, but is also someone that will be keyed on.  This should allow others to have an easier time to the opposing QB.

Lastly, for the first time in awhile Indy returns their starting Offensive Line.  And it is a pretty good one!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TonyBungee said:

I like Inman a lot, but I'm just not sure there's room. He played about a 3rd of his snaps from slot, and I think Funchess is intended to eat into that a lot. Inman is very reliable, but at some point, the Colts need to get something out of the several "projects" they have on the roster. At 30, he's probably just not in the long term plan.

I'd bet the Colts gave him a modest offer and he's exploring. If the Colts go WR in the first two rounds, I'm just not sure what his opportunity for PT will be given we'll have an early draft pick, Cain coming back, Funchess added, and perhaps one of the project guys fighting for reps. I could see either him (Inman) or Pascal being added back at some point though.

He's a good guy, and I hope it works out regardless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Zach pascal is still on the team. I don’t know why everyone keeps saying that.

there are conflicting reports out there. 

His history (transactions) suggests he's an ERFA.

Sportstrac supports that, and shows him as a ERFA.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/indianapolis-colts/

here's some reports saying he is a FA. i've posted some others. 

https://horseshoeheroes.com/2019/02/06/colts-2019-free-agents-zach-pascal/

It really all depends on if the contract we picked up off waivers was a 2 year contract from 17, or 18. If 17, he's an ERFA. If 18, he's still under contract. 

Regardless, even if under contract, the contract is not guaranteed,,,,, so he could be terminated, or pushed down to the practice squad. I'd say either way, he'll be fighting for a roster spot with Inman and all the projects. I'd actually prefer ZP to DI. I like them both though, I just think ZP has time on his side.

• Like 1