Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"Colts Productions"


Superman

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reaction to Episode Two:

 

Flat out great!   But it should be.  You have almost unlimited access, it would be hard to put out a poor product unless you’ve didnt know what you were doing, and the production team clearly knows what they are doing!

 

Favorite quote:  Ballard, toward the end of the Senior Bowl section says this...  “This guy may be a better player, but that guy may have higher grades with character and medical and checks ALL the boxes so he’ll be higher on our board.”   

 

This should get pinned to the top of the Colts page and the top of the Draft page.   It’ll help the next time some poster writes “why did we draft player X when player Z is clearly so much better?”

 

Least Favorite quote:  Ed Dodd, also in the Senior Bowl section.

 

Paraphrasing:  “In order to get better we have to work harder.  We have to out work the next guy.”

 

So,  that’s a Big Cliche.  There are 32 teams and EVERYONE thinks they’re working hard.  They’re sacrificing time away from families.  They’re on the road an obscene amount of time.   Everyone is working really hard.   But the winners are working SMARTER.   They’re doing different things, making better decisions.   Working smarter and not just harder is what separates the teams whose season ends in December and those teams who play in January and February.   Guys like Brian Decker who does our psych profiles on our players. 

 

Now, to defend Dodds, he can’t say that ON CAMERA.  He can’t say we’re smarter than the other guys.  That’ll get out and won’t be received well around the league.  So I’m not blaming Dodds, only explaing why his sound bite didn’t work for me. 

 

Two weeks in and I can’t wait for more!      :thmup:

 

:colts:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Seems like more work is put into eliminating players they don't want instead of players they do want. That is a little different than I thought things were done.

 

You’re basing your comment based on a small sliver of what they show you.   They’re not showing you everything.  You’re reading too much into too little.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

You’re basing your comment based on a small sliver of what they show you.   They’re not showing you everything.  You’re reading too much into too little.

 

No I don't feel I am reading too much into it at all.

If you look at the sheer number of players they start with it's not surprising there is more effort in eliminating players down to 300 players or so.

Now once their numbers are down to that 300 or so players I'm sure things get kicked into overdrive.

No they are not showing us all but they are showing the process.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

No I don't feel I am reading too much into it at all.

If you look at the sheer number of players they start with it's not surprising there is more effort in eliminating players down to 300 players or so.

Now once their numbers are down to that 300 or so players I'm sure things get kicked into overdrive.

No they are not showing us all but they are showing the process.  

 

Ok....

 

Let me see see if I can’t put this another way...   and I’m sorry I didn’t put it this way to begin with...

 

Ballard and Dodds and Hogan and Decker and the Scouts and everyone else have literally met and had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours of meetings.   The Colts production team has likely only been able to shoot a number of hours in the several dozens...    of those several dozen hours, they have edited  material down to 5-8 minutes of tape in each segment with most sound bites lasting 5-15 seconds.    So you’re only seeing a tiny sliver of the entire process and only a slightly larger sliver of the material that was shot.    That’s it.

 

On some level, you’re right.   Ballard says they start the process with 1800 players....   and by the end they get down to roughly 150 give or take.   But when you’re only seeing a 5-10 minute segment I always caution against reading too much into anything.   Really, that’s all...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok....

 

Let me see see if I can’t put this another way...   and I’m sorry I didn’t put it this way to begin with...

 

Ballard and Dodds and Hogan and Decker and the Scouts and everyone else have literally met and had hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of hours of meetings.   The Colts production team has likely only been able to shoot a number of hours in the several dozens...    of those several dozen hours, they have edited  material down to 5-8 minutes of tape in each segment with most sound bites lasting 5-15 seconds.    So you’re only seeing a tiny sliver of the entire process and only a slightly larger sliver of the material that was shot.    That’s it.

 

On some level, you’re right.   Ballard says they start the process with 1800 players....   and by the end they get down to roughly 150 give or take.   But when you’re only seeing a 5-10 minute segment I always caution against reading too much into anything.   Really, that’s all...

Fair enough for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you look at the sheer number of players they start with it's not surprising there is more effort in eliminating players down to 300 players or so.

Now once their numbers are down to that 300 or so players I'm sure things get kicked into overdrive.

 

I agree with the bolded.

 

I don't know if it has a direct bearing on how much time and effort the spend getting down to 300-ish. I expect that the process of eliminating 1500 would-be prospects from the draft board is pretty easy. I think that number Ballard gave represents everyone that's draft eligible. Most of those guys aren't good enough to be on NFL rosters, but the scouts have been watching them in college for four years and have at least some kind of report on them. (I've heard guys like Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah talk about being required to have at least the basics on those guys -- HWS, and a basic grade.)

 

Then I would imagine there are fringe guys who might make a roster somewhere, but don't have the traits the team wants, and don't have the talent to be worth a roster spot. Let's say a squatty ILB with short arms, who doesn't run well, but maybe plays hard and had a lot of tackles. He might make someone's roster, but for a team that values length and speed at linebacker, he won't be on their final board. Or a tough interior OL with limited movement skills, for a team that pulls guards or runs zone schemes; he won't be on their board.

 

I think those are easy enough decisions, and while it might be time consuming to go through the names and cross them off, it's probably not too difficult to go from 1800 to 300-ish. Area scouts aren't going to stand on the table during the pre-draft process for fringe guys like that.

 

Then, like you say, they kick into overdrive to cut that number in half. I think that's going to represent 95% of the work that goes into the draft day board of 150-ish players.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Superman said:

 

I agree with the bolded.

 

I don't know if it has a direct bearing on how much time and effort the spend getting down to 300-ish. I expect that the process of eliminating 1500 would-be prospects from the draft board is pretty easy. I think that number Ballard gave represents everyone that's draft eligible. Most of those guys aren't good enough to be on NFL rosters, but the scouts have been watching them in college for four years and have at least some kind of report on them. (I've heard guys like Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah talk about being required to have at least the basics on those guys -- HWS, and a basic grade.)

 

Then I would imagine there are fringe guys who might make a roster somewhere, but don't have the traits the team wants, and don't have the talent to be worth a roster spot. Let's say a squatty ILB with short arms, who doesn't run well, but maybe plays hard and had a lot of tackles. He might make someone's roster, but for a team that values length and speed at linebacker, he won't be on their final board. Or a tough interior OL with limited movement skills, for a team that pulls guards or runs zone schemes; he won't be on their board.

 

I think those are easy enough decisions, and while it might be time consuming to go through the names and cross them off, it's probably not too difficult to go from 1800 to 300-ish. Area scouts aren't going to stand on the table during the pre-draft process for fringe guys like that.

 

Then, like you say, they kick into overdrive to cut that number in half. I think that's going to represent 95% of the work that goes into the draft day board of 150-ish players.

My comment came from what was said on how many weeks with 12+ hours days watching film. I am not sure how many scouts worked that kind of schedule but you have to account these guys are working year round. The time and effort put in to make the list of what you call those easy decisions. I take into consideration all the travel time too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

My comment came from what was said on how many weeks with 12+ hours days watching film. I am not sure how many scouts worked that kind of schedule but you have to account these guys are working year round. The time and effort put in to make the list of what you call those easy decisions. I take into consideration all the travel time too.

 

Yeah, including the year round work, there's a ton of time spent on the hundreds of players that don't wind up on the board. I was more focusing on the intensive 3-4 month lead up to the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Yeah, including the year round work, there's a ton of time spent on the hundreds of players that don't wind up on the board. I was more focusing on the intensive 3-4 month lead up to the draft.

After seeing the segment at Ruth's Chris's and how many people are involved put a little different perspective on the process for me. When you see all those people gathered instead of reading a list, it was eye opening for me.

On a side thought : I bet Irsay's tab was pretty high. haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

You’re basing your comment based on a small sliver of what they show you.   They’re not showing you everything.  You’re reading too much into too little.

 

Exactly, everything we are hearing is out of context for a reason. They're not going to give us very much but still entertaining. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Superman said:

 

I agree with the bolded.

 

I don't know if it has a direct bearing on how much time and effort the spend getting down to 300-ish. I expect that the process of eliminating 1500 would-be prospects from the draft board is pretty easy. I think that number Ballard gave represents everyone that's draft eligible. Most of those guys aren't good enough to be on NFL rosters, but the scouts have been watching them in college for four years and have at least some kind of report on them. (I've heard guys like Bucky Brooks and Daniel Jeremiah talk about being required to have at least the basics on those guys -- HWS, and a basic grade.)

 

Then I would imagine there are fringe guys who might make a roster somewhere, but don't have the traits the team wants, and don't have the talent to be worth a roster spot. Let's say a squatty ILB with short arms, who doesn't run well, but maybe plays hard and had a lot of tackles. He might make someone's roster, but for a team that values length and speed at linebacker, he won't be on their final board. Or a tough interior OL with limited movement skills, for a team that pulls guards or runs zone schemes; he won't be on their board.

 

I think those are easy enough decisions, and while it might be time consuming to go through the names and cross them off, it's probably not too difficult to go from 1800 to 300-ish. Area scouts aren't going to stand on the table during the pre-draft process for fringe guys like that.

 

Then, like you say, they kick into overdrive to cut that number in half. I think that's going to represent 95% of the work that goes into the draft day board of 150-ish players.

 

I often liken the draft to the ultimate beauty pagent.   

 

So, when cutting down from 1800 to....  whatever number,  it's not hard to figure out who is Miss California,  Miss Texas,  Miss Florida.....     and who is Miss Montana.     Some things are just.....  well.....    pretty obvious....

 

Where it gets really tough (as you know) is lining up the final 150 or so....    that's where people make or break their draft....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, when cutting down from 1800 to....  whatever number,  it's not hard to figure out who is Miss California,  Miss Texas,  Miss Florida.....     and who is Miss Montana.     Some things are just.....  well.....    pretty obvious....

 

 

You just reminded me of the audition process for a show like American Idol. Nine thousand people show up to the local tryout, 20 go to Hollywood. It's not hard to figure out the people who have no chance, who aren't gonna make it. Figuring out who from those 20 are going to make it to the actual show is a tougher process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

You just reminded me of the audition process for a show like American Idol. Nine thousand people show up to the local tryout, 20 go to Hollywood. It's not hard to figure out the people who have no chance, who aren't gonna make it. Figuring out who from those 20 are going to make it to the actual show is a tougher process.

If I had to do a cut down of 1800 posters to say the top 300, I'd have you and Sup in the top 300, no doubt!  Now, can you make the top twenty? We'll find out .... after a word from our sponsors!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Rally5 said:

If I had to do a cut down of 1800 posters to say the top 300, I'd have you and Sup in the top 300, no doubt!  Now, can you make the top twenty? We'll find out .... after a word from our sponsors!

Heck some would do a double NO/Ditka and trade two draft years for Sup.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't read much about this film series before it was out.  It was very enjoyable.  I understand that they can't give us too much specific information regarding the process itself (as explained in earlier posts) but it still had the FEEL of a truly inside look.  If nothing else, it validated the level of confidence I've felt in the front office since Ballard arrived.  This series is great for everyone involved.  Happy to be a part of the community.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest episode; when they panned around the room of the dinner, I was surprised at the number of people involved in the process for the Colts.

Second, when Ballard got into his speech, in the background Frank is sitting there nodding in affirmation like a wise old owl... "yeah boss, you tell them boss,  I'm with you boss!" LOL 

I'm loving how this franchise is operating these days, including fan outreach.  Looking to the future with great optimism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams really prepare for the draft, but now days the best also prepare for the worst case scenarios.  This is the story of the 1996 New York football Giants draft fail (full article)-

 

https://tinyurl.com/y6q28lnr

 

It's a great article on how bad things can go (even in the 1st round)_ if a team does not perform Full scouting due diligence (including medical, ) or prepare for worst case scenario.

 

This points out my interest in full mocks, like the one members here just completed and the v 2.0 ongoing.  Run enough of them (trying to be real for each team) and you can find the 'worst case scenario' for your team, and have already constructed plan B and plan C for draft day if necessary.

 

IE: Team targeted a group of certain players, but possibly none fall to them and the group of players after that are not worthy of the lofty draft slot.  So maybe before the draft contact other teams to set up possible trade back deals, etc.

 

I like the way it appears the Colts approaching the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I thought there was going to be another episode tonight it's Wednesday.

My guess is the release of the schedule bumped the video back a day.

 

Im guessing it will be tomorrow.   Thursday the 18th.   Just my hunch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jmac_48 said:

NOT!

LAME...

What made it funny is Luck is known to point out architecture and things on trips. Even Nelson said sometimes he wants to say shut up nerd.  Luck is a nerd and the video was totally him. Even the end when he picks up the cards.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What made it funny is Luck is known to point out architecture and things on trips. Even Nelson said sometimes he wants to say shut up nerd.  Luck is a nerd and the video was totally him. Even the end when he picks up the cards.

Sorry, there's a difference between acting nerdy and being stupid/lame.

I guess I'm just getting too old to appreciate melinial humor...

just like ad's that insult my intelligence.

p.s. I was 10 yrs. old when the Colts won their first World Championship, you do the math..

I'm Old and I the Way! LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Ravens, think Jackson gets in done in playoffs, KC will be right there, Colts wont be a tough playoff out by any means either, Buffalo a year away imo.     Bears their D gives everyone problems, Robinson having another very good year at WR (Maybe top WR no one really talks about much) already beat the Bucs and their schedule is easy down the stretch also which will allow a fresh roster into the playoffs.  Seattle has looked impressive and a lot of depth, Tampa wont go down easy and Drew looking to cap career in N.O. with one last run.
    • That's a lot of work, I'm always appreciative of the people here that put that kind of effort into the forum.  So thank you.    I just wrote a post on a different topic that touches on this a little bit.  I'm not sure what to make of the receiver carousel but typically receiver production is a by-product of the QB.  Rivers has a lot to do with it as it relates to schemes etc.  We're way to shotgun dependent (75%) which takes play action out of the equation which we're built for. To me, that's because Rivers like to read the defense but it also works in reverse and makes routes and patterns easier to cover because there's no play action and NOBODY is biting on backfield run fakes from the gun.  My two cents.  Thanks again.
    • 2/3, or 4/6 is good for me. If you're taking up 25% for your top picks every year for 11% of your roster, some areas of your roster will simply be imbalanced. It also depends on what you do with in FA, and especially your strategy for other high end positions.  Not saying that's a bad financial strategy, but it is a bad locker room strategy. Not talking specifically about JJSS, just in general. If you're known as an organization that discards after rook contracts, players view you as a factory. I know it's a business, but you have to have to consider it. It would be like us moving away from Leonard, or others, after they perform well and exhaust their cheep rookie contracts.    Houston was stupid to give him up. Considered one of the biggest boneheaded moves of the years. It's why a certain coach has a bad rep. It's a position that's rotated for sure, but a lot of positions are. DL, DB, TE, RB, etc are all highly rotated. Only QB and OL are positions with little to no rotation. In Indy, we don't rotate Leonard, or some other thin positions that much, but that hurts us long term. Anyway, you have to look at averages. Just like TEs. You often list 2 starting TEs along with 3 WRs, but you don't have 2+3 on the field. You average ~1.5+2.5ish. If you're going to use 3 WR with that logic, you have to use 2 TEs, etc. and now your adding to your "22" total to normalize.   I think we both value the position the highly. We just differ on acquisition strategy. I think you have to look at all high priced and strategic positions, and have a better mix for a healthy roster. It doesn't really matter if they are drafts, UDFA, FAs, etc. so long as you have a good age, cost, experience, and skill mix. For example, Ballard has probably over drafted early/mid DEs (2nd and 3rd) round and failed. And looking at the DL in general, only one of the starting 4 are draft picks (which is the cheapest one), and the drafted depth don't look capable of stepping up. So we're in a position end of year where both starting DEs need renewal or replacement. It's a position/area where we've invested both heavy in draft capital, but have had to spend a bunch in FA as well.    Anyway, give me 2 early/mid WRs every 3 years, and 1 FA every 3 years, and some late round or UDFA project lottery tickets every year. That's what we've done. Only injury has gotten in our way from some very potent starting 3s.
    • Exactly right, play action from under center also lends itself to taking the big shots.  We're way too shotgun heavy for a team that wants to lean on the run game and set up play action.  That's part of the reason we're not getting the deep ball as much as we like.  Some people think that we need faster receivers, that's not the issue. It's two fold, it's what Rivers wants (shotgun) so we cater to it because he's the qb and he's so slow afoot by the time he hits his drop in play action the short route windows have already expired, meaning crossers and slants have entered the coverage zone, too slow.     Right now the totality of this offense is driven by one guy, I've said from week one, this team will go as far as Philip can take it.  What offenses fail to realize is zone read is totally pointless if the QB is neve going to keep it.  That makes it easier for the defense to read and react as well.  So not only is it easier for Philip to read a defense but its also easier for the defense to read Philip.    I'll close by saying, I never wanted Rivers here but now that he is, I do like him personally, and he can still be wildly effective when protected.  That scenario will only take us so far.  I have a strong suspicion who our QB may be for 2021 but I'm going to sit on that for a bit...
    • No idea you are a woman, always thought you were a guy. Learned something today on the forum!
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...